PDA

View Full Version : 4:44, The Last Day On Earth - Abel Ferrara is back, sorta

mario_c
05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
By the end I thought it was very moving, but true to form, he takes a LONG time to get started, with lots of Willem Dafoe storming around muttering angrily and humping his attractive co-star (but if anyone is qualified to do that, it's Dafoe). I found the supporting characters and details very involving, like the lonely anguished women on the street and the Dafoe characters' recovered junkie friends, and the poetic approach to sci-fi really works (unlike New Rose Hotel. P-U.) The art direction is stunning and it gets more hypnotic as the inevitable draws close.

I think this one needs a little love - I went on a Tuesday night and I was the only one in the theater. Is cinema going the way of the vinyl record and vaudeville?

But that's not the query. Here's the query - if you had 12 hours to live and you knew that everyone you knew had 12 hours to live, what would you do?

J.S.F.
05-23-2012, 08:09 AM
twelve hours of existence left and what am I gonna do? Probably write something nasty on this forum page. What are they gonna do, ban me? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, e-mail my sister or call her if I can, and then spend time with my family, talk about things but never mention regrets. Work out and make it the best workout of my life. After, eat pizza and ice cream. Toss in a few Snicker's bars. Send a story off to a publisher just in case.

Watch all my favorite movies, not in their entirety--just the best parts. Watch the clouds. Have fun...'cuz it won't last forever.

BigWords
05-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Watch all my favorite movies, not in their entirety--just the best parts.

That's how I wore out my video of Basic Instinct.

J.S.F.
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
That's how I wore out my video of Basic Instinct.

--

The old 'interrogation scene' rewind plan.

That killed more videos than faulty machines.

You do realize DVD's are available....:)

mario_c
05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Good choice! Personally, I love movies and TV, but I hate sitting down and watching them. Y'know? So I'd be torn between knowing I'm spending my last night on Earth watching TV instead of pillaging, but knowing I never watched The Graduate or the two long edits of Apocalypse Now from beginning to end. Dying is about those choices, I guess.

Retirement is a different story. I'm looking forward to home double/triple features every night. :D

Manuel Royal
05-23-2012, 10:44 PM
But that's not the query. Here's the query - if you had 12 hours to live and you knew that everyone you knew had 12 hours to live, what would you do?Just for the sake of irony, I might watch Don McKellar's Last Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/). (If they ever come out with a good DVD or Blu-Ray edition.)

J.S.F.
05-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Just for the sake of irony, I might watch Don McKellar's Last Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/). (If they ever come out with a good DVD or Blu-Ray edition.)
---

I found the movie a little drawn out and sort of amateurish. It wasn't bad but Ferrara's version was better, even though it was slow. I don't know why but Canadian productions always seem to have a different feel to them. Lack of budget, I suppose or maybe they want that 'uniquely Canadian look' to them.

Fun trivia fact: McKellar and I went to the same high school yonks ago. He was pretty talented then and has been the only person I've ever known who became sort of well-known in the film industry. Doubtful he'd remember me--haven't been back to TO since my mother passed on five years back--and I don't remember much about my old hometown anymore.