Status
Not open for further replies.

mpclemens

Mad Typospherian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clickthing.blogspot.com
Because it's the Internet, and I grumble about how "one data point does not a trend make" and then go out and find stories like this:

3 Things I Learned When My Site’s Traffic Increased 25,000% in One Day

Short version: cartoonist posts info about his latest title on Reddit, a popular link-aggregator/commenting site, sees web site traffic go up, but does not automatically translate into overwhelming sales.

Not a surprise, but I actually find this somewhat encouraging, in a twisted, bizarro-logic sort of way.

And then even more interesting is the sudden bump of his work to the top of the iTunes bookstore in graphic novels: maybe due to the story being picked up on Boing Boing?

My takeaway: no sales? Blame the Internet! :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ha!

Two of the reasons that news items are news items: they're of great importance; or they're unusual (like a talking dog or a lottery win). Many stories trumpeting self-publishing successes fall into one of these categories. Sadly, many self-publishing enthusiasts assume it's one and not the other.

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Because it's the Internet, and I grumble about how "one data point does not a trend make" and then go out and find stories like this:

3 Things I Learned When My Site’s Traffic Increased 25,000% in One Day

Short version: cartoonist posts info about his latest title on Reddit, a popular link-aggregator/commenting site, sees web site traffic go up, but does not automatically translate into overwhelming sales.

Not a surprise, but I actually find this somewhat encouraging, in a twisted, bizarro-logic sort of way.

And then even more interesting is the sudden bump of his work to the top of the iTunes bookstore in graphic novels: maybe due to the story being picked up on Boing Boing?

My takeaway: no sales? Blame the Internet! :D

The guy's problem is merchandising. When you land on his homepage you don't see a sales widget with a picture of the books. By the time people read his posts they forget he's trying to sell something and move on.

Lesson? Widget up!

mpclemens

Mad Typospherian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clickthing.blogspot.com
The guy's problem is merchandising. When you land on his homepage you don't see a sales widget with a picture of the books.

Well, except for the "store" link at the top of the page. Agreed, there could be more visibility of the books, but the lesson I got from it was the Anti Field of Dreams: if you build it, they will come, but they might just browse around a bit and depart.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I learned the hard way demographics of your audience is critical. For example, each time I was interviewed in the newspaper or on the radio I figured I'd see a big bump is sales, but I did not. When I released several trailers on general video posting sites, again I estimated big bumps and again I did not. Wasn't the circulation which measured in 100K and more that was the problem. It was the nature of the audience. If the general public reads an article about a writer and their new release they are not thinking about or looking to buy a book at that moment. Same with general video posting sites. But if you get exposure on a site focused specifically at readers, totally different case and my sales data reflects that observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.