PDA

View Full Version : An ISBN question regarding subtitles

JCGAuthor
05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

And hope you are well on this lovely spring day.

I'm setting up my first ISBN -- actually bought a batch but am only using one at the moment -- and I'm pondering what to do with the title options.

The ISBN options on Bowker allow space for a title and subtitle. I never envisioned my book series as having subtitles, but perhaps I should. You see, in the series, the books will have titles as thus:

"The Tyrant Strategy, Part 1"
"The Tyrant Strategy, Part 2"

etc.

I like obvious titling of books in a series, in case you're wondering. And it ties into an overall promotion plan.

It appears I can go with either the full title for this first book being "The Tyrant Strategy, Part 1", or drop "Part 1" down to the subtitle field. I'm curious as to what this would effect. Would I be better off just leaving this as the former option and forgoing the subtitle field?

I appreciate, as always, this community and the help I've been given here.

James D. Macdonald
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I'd think that each book should have a unique title, with the subtitles being "The Tyrant Strategy, Part X."

Thus,

Dark of the Moon: The Tyrant Strategy Part 1
A Cup of Warm Beer: The Tyrant Strategy Part 2
Blood in the Drains: The Tyrant Strategy Part 3

ResearchGuy
05-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I'd think that each book should have a unique title, with the subtitles being "The Tyrant Strategy, Part X.". . .
I like that. (No "Like" button . . . have to do it this way . . .)

--Ken

merrihiatt
05-22-2012, 02:28 AM
What Uncle Jim said.

JCGAuthor
05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks, all, especially James.

That's really good advice. I've already got an add that's going to come out (like submitted and everything) just referencing the series as a whole. Not sure if I can change gears yet on the title.

Ugh. Choices, choices.