Any One Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I've come to the realization that I'm bored with my job. My day job used to be a passion for me and now all I want to do is write.

I thought it might cheer me up to see what awful day jobs others might have in order to pursue their writing.

I'll start. While I don't really think that my job is awful, there are some days where I feel awful about it. I realize that it's probably just my current phase in life (newish mom), so please don't judge the profession based on how I'm currently (today) feeling about it. Here goes....librarian.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My job isn't awful(nurse). I often hate going in for shifts. Unfortunately, this is my reality until I can write fulltime.

I'm working towards that goal and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Things that keep me from writing (specifically these two things) only deepen my desire, so when I have the chance to write, I fuckin' write, man.

Slacking and dicking around? Those don't help stoke the fire, but being actually physically UNABLE to write? Yep. Very inspirational.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Up to September I worked in a office handling welfare appeals. People turned down for financial assistance from the government. It was horrendous and I had people calling me in terrible desperation. Some of these people has disabled kids like me, or were going without food or medicine. I had to tell them there was no help available. I listened to people crying and begging everyday and could do nothing. At the end of the day I was coming home to my son, locking myself in the bathroom and crying. I was so emotionally drained I had nothing left to give my family.

It litrally sucked away my will to do anything, including writing. In the end, I packed it in. The stress was slowly killing me and my doctor was about to sign me off as unfit. I took two years but after a few months I knew I would never go back. I took a massive income cut but it's worth it.

I still don't write as much as I want to because I took on other commitments and spend a lot more time with my son. However, I write a lot more than I was writing just before I left work. I feel I'm only begining to feel like myself again all these months later.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've come to the realization that I'm bored with my job. My day job used to be a passion for me and now all I want to do is write.

I thought it might cheer me up to see what awful day jobs others might have in order to pursue their writing.

I'll start. While I don't really think that my job is awful, there are some days where I feel awful about it. I realize that it's probably just my current phase in life (newish mom), so please don't judge the profession based on how I'm currently (today) feeling about it. Here goes....librarian.

Maybe the reason that all you want to do is write, is your subconscious telling you that you are bored with your job? Maybe you need to spice up your career? Do you work in a public library, then would a school or university library shake things up? What about archiving work? Working for a university office? Or would you prefer to retrain? A friend I met at university had been a librian all her life, she decided to give uni one last shot [she had tried and fail 3 times before.] She now works as teacher.

About a year ago, I felt the same about catering. All I could get was McD's. I moved back home, and was unemployed until I signed up with an agency in January. They placed me with the NHS, and I fell in love with the job again. So much, I have an interview on Thursday for a permanent job with the NHS. I've come to realise that I can make people who are going through a rough time smile, it's very fulfilling when they say 'I enjoyed that.' I think that I want to make a career out of this, and writing can be my other fulfilling job. :)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Here goes....librarian.

Really? I know I'm romanticizing, but being surrounded by books and getting to recommend them to others sounds blissful. (In reality, it's probably 90% clerical work, isn't it?)

My day job used to be as a cubicle monkey churning out graphic design and animations. When I first started I thought, this will be awesome--I get to do creative work all day! After a month I realized that being forced to churn out creative assets at machine gun speed sapped all heart, soul, and actual "creativity" from said work. I was forced to lower my standards and resort to formula and cliché just to get the work done. I grew to loathe it and had completely exhausted my creative energy by the time I got home each night. There was nothing left for writing.

Being laid off from that job was probably the best thing that could have happened.

I've learned to treasure and protect my creative energy now. I still get overexcited about projects I shouldn't commit myself to and sometimes end up wasting it, but I'm trying to be better about guarding against my enthusiasm for random shit. :D

CJ Knightrey

She Who Constantly Changes Avatars
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy I know how you feel. I work in a warehouse full-time and it's unbelievably tedious and bores me to tears, but hey, it keeps money in my pocket and relatively fit from all the heavy lifting. :p

The most unfortunate thing about it is by the time I get home I'm usually incredibly exhausted and just want to get to sleep, but I push myself to get to my laptop and start typing away. I will admit that I haven't been as disciplined as I should when it comes to getting my writing done during the week, but when my weekends roll around I get lost in writing bliss :D.

Here's hoping to make it as an author sooner rather than later.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I do like my job, and I'm quite thankful to have it because (1) I like it, (2) it gives me enough security that I feel no anxiety about whether my writing is commercial, and (3) like HoneyBadger, I've learned that I write less when I have more free time. Having the job prompts me to be more methodical about finding writing time than I would be naturally.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score

I had the opposite 'problem'. My job was creative and demanding, and soaked up all my mental and emotional energy. I couldn't really begin to write until I retired.

So you can't win.

Also, consider how much your job may contribute to the general sense of connectedness that makes it possible to write in the first place.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I've been bored with the day job (medical secretary) for the last twenty years, but you know what? I've never gotten bored with a good schedule, decent pay and excellent benefits.

I'm good.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
At the moment I'm just working in retail, at a nice clothing store... it's pretty decent for a retail job, the people are nice, I like the stuff, etc., but can be pretty mind-numbing. Plus I don't have quite the energy of normal people (health reasons) so days I work, even if just for a few hours, I'm often too tired to write afterwards, which is the most frustrating part. Lately my desire to write tends to hit most strongly on the bus to work or in the middle of a shift... awesome.

I'm going to be going to school for a masters in the fall, in Photographic Preservation and Collections Management, which I'm super excited about-- it sets you up to work in photographic archives at museums and stuff, which I really really want to do. I could never write full-time-- I'm another who writes less the more free time I have.

P. S. Honey Badger, your kids are adorable!!

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I work overnights as a stocker (frozen food department). I recently cut back to three nights a week, and even that seems too much some days. Hauling several hundred pound pallets the length of the store, pulling 30-40 pound cases off the top of them (by standing on my tiptoes), then freezing my fingers off while stocking - yeah. Doesn't leave a lot of energy for writing, but I do my damndest to get something down every day, even if it's just a character complaining about my job. :tongue

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

I'm the opposite. I've had a paralegal career for about 12 years now. I do lot of legal writing, love the people I work with, and really love my job.

I think librarian is a fine job. :)

I also make sure I have plenty of time for my creative writing, as well.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I'm in a high energy environment w/many creative co-workers, so typically my days are pretty fun... I do wish the hours were a bit less cumbersome, though.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the reason that all you want to do is write, is your subconscious telling you that you are bored with your job? Maybe you need to spice up your career?

Oh you are sooo perceptive. Yes, I'm bored. I'm in an upper management position and there's nowhere left to go at my current place of employ.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I had the opposite 'problem'. My job was creative and demanding, and soaked up all my mental and emotional energy. I couldn't really begin to write until I retired.

So you can't win.

Also, consider how much your job may contribute to the general sense of connectedness that makes it possible to write in the first place.

So right you are! Prior to last year, I was a maniac at my job. Working all hours of the day/night/weekend, pouring all sorts of creative juices into program planning and whatnot. And now, I just can't seem to muster that energy anymore.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I was a middle school science for 30+ years and I loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I went in early (to set up labs) and went home late. I couldn't do all my clerical work in my one planning period of the day because I had glassware to clean and chemicals to mix, etc. And my students were too young to serve as 'lab assistants.' I did it all myself. Try planning setups for 130+ kids a day. Okay, that part wasn't fun.

But I loved going into class with a handful of test tubes and the kids are begging to do an experiment, work with chemicals, light matches and burners. (I had them do all this themselves; I trained them well.) The enthusiasm was utterly contagious and even when we had 'lectures' I kept them short and entertaining. I'd tell them okay, you're listening to me and taking notes for 20 minutes, but after that we are gonna...

I loved it. I was on my feet from 7:30 AM to 2:30 each day (except for a looong 20 minute lunch where I actually sat down.) I kept my weight down, my enthusiasm up, was always learning something new and interacted with kids all day. My dream job.

But I came home to a second job, caring for a now-adult son with multiple disabilities. I finally decided I couldn't do two jobs which were both physically demanding so I retired at a relatively young age. Now I miss teaching. I miss the kids. I miss the enthusiasm and energy and creativity, the hey, 'let's do it this way this time' way that I taught. When I retired smart boards were replacing blackboards and wow, the stuff they can do with them, the collaboration with other classes across the US and around the world...

But I couldn't go home from that job and have enough energy for my son, who deserved my time, too. One had to go. Teaching went.

But writing? Writing has always been part of who I am. I got up at 4:00 AM for years so I could write. At night my older children went to sleep listening to the clatter of my Olivetti typewriter.

If you like kids and don't want to be bored, be a science teacher. Or social studies. Or history. Or math or English, for kids aged 10 - 13. I used to say "Who wants to..."

And every hand would be in the air.

"Ummm, clean the boards and empty the trash?"

The hands would still be in the air.

bob88

Not writing as much as he should be
Registered
Reaction score
Being an engineering student isn't exactly a job, but I think it's the best occupation to keep the writing going.

Solve a five-dimensional partial differential equation? Manually develop devilish functions into a Maclaurin Series all the way to the twentieth iteration?

"**** this ****, I'll just go write!"

enesthi

Registered
Reaction score
I work in a deli in a grocery store. It's menial, but I can pick my hours and my direct manager has enough trust in me to let me do the extra jobs besides serving customers or cooking. Before I got the job I was going stir crazy in the apartment and couldn't get any decent writing done. It may suck sometimes (quite a lot lately) but if I didn't get out of my apartment and have to deal with customers and dishes and raw chicken every day I wouldn't have gotten to the point where I considered writing seriously. Even if I sell a book I might keep the job for a while, they need the help anyways.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Here goes....librarian.

My wife was a Library Director for six years. She had a nine member Board of Directors ... that meant she had nine bosses, often coming to her with contradictory agendas.

Some libraries are Oz. Some aren't even close.

What kept her sane was linking social media with her YA crowd.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

John Lennon, Beautiful Boy

I sort of fell into a job. I was at University reading English Language and Literature, when the woman who was later to become my ex wife wanted company while she went to see the careers advisor. I was just along for the ride when the careers advisor said "And what about you, young man?"

I had no idea what I wanted to do. Writing of some kind. Journalism maybe. Persuading someone to pay me to write the next James Bond script. Selling the awful science fiction novel I had written when I should have been revising for my O levels. Or the equally awful science fiction novel I had written when I should have been revising for my A levels.

"Have you thought about becoming a civil servant?" he said. "They do lots of writing. The closing date for the fast stream graduate entry programme is coming up. I'll fill the form in for you."

It was the only job I applied for. They say it's an arduous selection process. Only a handful accepted out of thousands of applications. I wouldn't know about that. It seemed pretty easy to me. I got through, and that put paid to my writing for a few years.

I had a shiny new exciting job to play with. People to meet, skills to learn, stuff to do. And a salary! For a while, all was good.

Then my career hit a setback. I worked for the female version of a misogynist. She wrote an appraisal report dripping with venom and it all got pretty nasty for a while. They shunted me into the statistics department to play with numbers and computers. And suddenly the job wasn't so shiny and exciting any more.

I was furious. Snarling, angry, fuming. So I hatched a cunning plan. I would do their work, but only my allocated hours. And in my spare time I would write, write, write. Become a best-selling author, then a squillionaire, buy a penthouse apartment overlooking my old office and revenge would be as sweet as sugar icing on top of the sugariest sugar cake ever to rot a tooth.

And so, in my twenties and early thirties, I wrote an awful fantasy novel. Truly, truly awful. jaw droppingly awful.

Then something happened at work. I went on a training course and met an industrial psychologist. He got me interested in the dark art of career development. How to gain new skills. How to use one job to get the next and then to use that job to get the one after that. Other stuff too, like emotional intelligence, de Bono and the self-help industry.

It took a couple of years to work, but then I started bumping up the career ladder. Every 3 to 5 years I'd get a promotion. I jumped from central government to regional government to local government, taking a new promotion on each step. Until we've reached a point where we are quite comfortable, thank you very much. Not wealthy, by any means, but definitely comfortable.

Something else happened. My jedi-like mentor whispered one particular thought into my ear. He said that most people use training to make their weaknesses better. But you can also use training to make your strengths stronger. When you get senior enough you can mould your job so that you are doing more of the stuff that you like or want to improve.

So I started to write as a greater and greater part of my job. Reports, speeches, papers, meeting notes, letters. And I got good at it. I was being paid to do my hobby. Or at least a version of my hobby.

But still the thought of that novel is at the back of my mind. So I've decided to go back to it. As a hobby, but not with any thought of giving up my job. I enjoy it too much for that. And I can't give too much time to the writing. My job is senior enough that you can't do it with just a 9 to 5.

No, the writing is there because I want it. I don't need it as a money maker any more. Naturally, all that would change if a publisher wanted to throw squillions at me, but I'm not holding my breath about that one.

I've got no idea how this story ends.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I work as a manager at my local shop (kind of like a 7-11, thank you, come again!)

The job itself is hard, never ending and yes boring. But the people? Pure writer's gold. (This was true even more so when I was working in my local pub as well) As we're pretty small and local, we get to know our customers reasonably well. And boy, do you see some of life....

The guy who broke our window so he'd be re-arrested and get sent back to prison because he couldn't hack it on the outside.

Teens trying to nick stuff on a dare

The alchy who can't keep his gob shut and will rant at random people - and everyone cheered the day he got his come uppance outside the shop (ranted to wrong woman. Her husband was both very big and very pissed off)

The woman who came in with a perfect bruise of two hands round her throat

People who break down in tears at the till and then spill out the shit their life has turned to

The man who reminds me of Dr Hibbert - any time he says something, he gives a little nervous laugh. '20 Marlboro please. *giggle*'

The old couple who still hold hands and make eyes at each other, even though they've been married 60 years.

So my job is boring, but the people? Never.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a uni student, studying Bachelor of Creative Writing. No idea where that's going except that I want to become a novelist...

In the meantime I do filing and scanning in the administration of a hospital. Mindnumbingly boring. But for casual work where I pick my hours and sit out the back with my headphones in listening to music or audiobooks... it's not so bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.