The Good Wife

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
(Sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one.)

Am I really the only one who watches this show?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
No you aren't. But there aren't many of us.

It's one of the best shows on television, and one of the best written ones. But try convincing anyone of that (I mean, regular viewers, it's clearly getting accolades - winning Emmys etc). No one thinks that a show on network television can be brilliant anymore, if it isn't on HBO or AMC then it must be crap. It has taken a lot of work convincing my friends to watch it, but when they finally cave (due to how annoying I am), they all, without exception, have been stunned by how amazing it is.

I am in love with this show for so many reasons, the writing is the primary one, the acting next and the fact that there are so many fascinating well written female characters the third. Also it trusts its audience.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, I watch it too.

I love the strong female characters that are not little Miss Perfects and have their faults but are still so different from each other. And unusually for a show that has strong female leads, the men aren't weak caricatures.

And I love Kalinda.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in! I'd say it's my favorite drama.

They get the characters right every time. Especially the teens. When the two of them started quoting Charlie the Unicorn/Llamas in Hats cartoons, I cracked up. Only someone who actually has geeky web-loving teenagers would know about that.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I'm a fan too. And I second mirandashell - love the character, Kalinda.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
No you aren't. But there aren't many of us.

It's one of the best shows on television, and one of the best written ones. But try convincing anyone of that (I mean, regular viewers, it's clearly getting accolades - winning Emmys etc). No one thinks that a show on network television can be brilliant anymore, if it isn't on HBO or AMC then it must be crap. It has taken a lot of work convincing my friends to watch it, but when they finally cave (due to how annoying I am), they all, without exception, have been stunned by how amazing it is.

I am in love with this show for so many reasons, the writing is the primary one, the acting next and the fact that there are so many fascinating well written female characters the third. Also it trusts its audience.

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the show. I've only recently started watching it, but I'm addicted. I'm going through Season 1 and 2 right now. Great writing, great characters, and I love the realistic feel. Plus, I love how the background with Alicia and her husband was able to turn her into such a strong, but flawed, and likeable character. I'd heard about the show for a while, but it never really appealed to me. Just another "meh" show. So I agree with that, too--you have to watch it to understand its awesomeness.

And yes, Kalinda is a total bad-ass character.

Anyway... Who saw the season finale? (Whited out for mini-spoilers.) Predictions on Kalinda's husband? For some reason, I feel like he's going to be someone we've already met. I don't know why; I just do. Maybe someone working for the drug dealer who keeps popping up?

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
OH! Spoilers!

In Britain, we're a bit behind you. So could you white-out any discussion of bits we won't have seen? Thanks

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Done. :) You learn that in the beginning of the ep, though, so it isn't a huge deal.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I need to catch up. I was recording them but lost them...I'm so far behind I'll probably have to buy the episodes on iTunes or something.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit, does anyone still watch? I have SO MANY THOUGHTS on the latest season and the whole Lockhart/Gardner vs Florrick/Agos thing...guhhh.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
I do! I do! I love this show. One of the best I've ever watched, hands down. Every damn case is so interesting that 5 minutes into the episode, I'm hooked. Not to mention all the character drama going around it.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do! I do! I love this show. One of the best I've ever watched, hands down. Every damn case is so interesting that 5 minutes into the episode, I'm hooked. Not to mention all the character drama going around it.

Yaaay! Are you caught up? Can I please bitch about Alicia choosing to leave Lockhart/Gardner?? And also Peter throwing his stupid weight around and cutting poor Diane off the judgeship?? I wanted to kill him for that, especially when they showed Diane crying. :( I want to hug Diane so bad.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I didn't mind the parting of the ways--and the episode where it all happened was one of the most exciting episodes ever! But I am over the constant back and forth between the two firms already. Jeez, are there no other lawyers in town? And talk about ethical dilemma: Peter's treatment of Diane was criminal (not literally, maybe) and I was expecting Alicia to tell him he needed to reconsider his reconsideration....

And what happened to Rappaport's character? I've loved that actor since Outsourced and was happy to see him working. Then he disappeared.

Last edited:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mind the parting of the ways--and the episode where it all happened was one of the most exciting episodes ever! But I am over the constant back and forth between the two firms already. Jeez, are there no other lawyers in town? And talk about ethical dilemma: Peter's treatment of Diane was criminal (not literally, maybe) and I was expecting Alicia to tell him he needed to reconsider his reconsideration....

And what happened to Rappaport's character? I've loved that actor since Outsourced and was happy to see him working. Then he disappeared.

Ughhhh I mind the parting of ways SO MUCH. I guess partly because I feel like Lockhart/Gardner was treating her really well and she chose to leave because of her feelings for Will...and I just want them to get it on and be happy, dammit. :D But you are right about the constant back and forth...like, sheesh, stop it, you two. I expected Alicia to get Peter to reconsider too!

The supporting characters I most miss are Michael J Fox's character and that lawyer he teamed up with to form the dream team. They need to come up against those two.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Lol, it's funny. I think one's opinion on Will then colours one's opinions on the split. You hate it and just wish he and Alicia would get together. But for me Will was holding her back. Her feelings for him were keeping her from pursuing her career dreams. I was thrilled she actually left. And while the back and forth has been so petty (honestly Will, grow up) Sunday's 100th episode was pure genius for explaining what Will's problem is. The fact that he truly believes she seduced him into loving him so she could steal his clients is crazy to me, especially because we get to see her perspective and know that so isn't true. But at least we understand better his childish behaviour.

I did feel bad for Diane, but she is hardly a saint. She was at war with his wife, he did what he does (he is DEFINITELY no saint). She is my fav character though, so I still felt bad. But show wise I'm glad she didn't get it, she wouldn't have been in the show as much if she'd become a judge.

Oh man I love the show. I LOVED the 100th episode. That whole imaginary cross examination scene?? Genius. And while the Irish dude really gets my goat, it's been a fun way to bring Kalinda back more into the show.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, it's funny. I think one's opinion on Will then colours one's opinions on the split. You hate it and just wish he and Alicia would get together. But for me Will was holding her back. Her feelings for him were keeping her from pursuing her career dreams. I was thrilled she actually left. And while the back and forth has been so petty (honestly Will, grow up) Sunday's 100th episode was pure genius for explaining what Will's problem is. The fact that he truly believes she seduced him into loving him so she could steal his clients is crazy to me, especially because we get to see her perspective and know that so isn't true. But at least we understand better his childish behaviour.

I did feel bad for Diane, but she is hardly a saint. She was at war with his wife, he did what he does (he is DEFINITELY no saint). She is my fav character though, so I still felt bad. But show wise I'm glad she didn't get it, she wouldn't have been in the show as much if she'd become a judge.

Oh man I love the show. I LOVED the 100th episode. That whole imaginary cross examination scene?? Genius. And while the Irish dude really gets my goat, it's been a fun way to bring Kalinda back more into the show.

Omg, Diane is totes a saint, dammit!!! :D She's my favorite character too...partly because she's usually the one making the morally right decisions. I mean, I still can't forget how she lost the judgeship because she insisted on pursuing the case where they suspected a judge of being racist.

I'm really torn about Will. On one hand, I agree with you that he needs to grow the fuck up (and what is up with "LG"?? Fuck you, Will, that's an electronics brand. Stick with Lockhart/Gardner, dammit.) but on the other hand, I just...feel like he gets Alicia. I loved the imaginary cross examination scene too! LOVED IT. Loved how it played out in reality too.

I can't stand the Irish guy. I hope Kalinda hands it to him soon.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
I am honestly very anti-Will so I loved the whole split. Plus, it gave a lot of momentum for the show and interesting drama. I'm so used to case-based shows never changing their rules (or changing for few episodes then reverting back) that I found it both very surprising and refreshing that they actually went with it! Also, as long as Peter stays faithful to Alicia (there's something fishy about this new pregnant woman), I'm actually rooting for these two now. He's really working hard to earn her forgiveness and behaving a LOT more classy than Will now.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I love the show when it's about the lawyers and the lawyering. Not so much when it's about Alicia's personal life. (Don't care for Alicia, or the actress who plays her: way back on ER she was doing the same sweet, noble little woman thing. I know it's not her fault she looks like she's constantly bewildered, but I'd watch the Diane and Kalinda show instead, in a heart-beat.)
I like Diane, Kalinda, Peter's mum, the weasel who runs things for Peter, the lawyers, (even the old dotard) yeah, pretty much everyone except the title character. So I watch in waves, ie all the setting up the new firm ones, lotsa scheming and carrying on.

eleutheria

Registered
Reaction score
I love this show!

And it's so good, even my husband watches it, and he has ridiculously high standards for television. He almost refuses to watch anything made in America (Avatar the Last Airbender being an exception), and thinks the BBC and Japanese anime has far higher quality than what we make. I think what hooked him was the episode where Alicia leaves Lockhart&Gardner - I agree with the poster up there somewhere, who said this was an incredibly exciting episode. :D

I also like how it handles politics. Most American tv shows that feature politics makes me roll my eyes, but in this show everyone (on both sides) is multi-layered and complex.