PDA

View Full Version : KDP Select categories

teodorika
05-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Hello,
This topic may have been discussed already but I couldn't find any threads...
I've published my book with KDP Select and I have a question about the categories. There's no young adult category or children's books. All I could find was Juvenile fiction but no young adult sub-category. My question is this: if they don't have such a category when you publish your book, but they do have such categories on the amazon website, how do you put your book in such a category? I've seen rankings of the books I like and it says something like: #14 in paid children's fiction - romance, but there's no such category when you actually publish your book. How does it get there??
Any ideas?

merrihiatt
05-20-2012, 03:58 AM
You can send Amazon KDP an e-mail asking for your book title to be placed in that specific category. Also, tag your books with those category titles. I know my titles have ranked in the top 100 in specific categories that I did not choose. I believe this was because of the tags that were placed on my books.

Anyone can tag a book. Just go three-quarters of the way down the page for your book on Amazon and you'll see the "add tags" prompt. You can add up to thirteen tags, IIRC.

teodorika
05-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks a lot for the answer, I e-mailed KDP and they offered to put my book in the relevant categories. I'm just wondering why would you have different categories at all? Anyway. I did tag my book, I wasn't aware that it can be categorized because of tags, so that's very helpful! Thanks again :)

merrihiatt
05-21-2012, 02:15 AM
That's a good question. I don't know the answer. Glad you added tags and were able to Amazon KDP to change the category for you.

Todd Young
05-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks a lot for the answer, I e-mailed KDP and they offered to put my book in the relevant categories. I'm just wondering why would you have different categories at all? Anyway. I did tag my book, I wasn't aware that it can be categorized because of tags, so that's very helpful! Thanks again :)

When you classify your book on your dashboard, you are using the BISAC Subject Headings List:

http://www.bisg.org/what-we-do-20-73-bisac-subject-headings-2010-edition.php

This is common to most retailers, but Amazon uses a slightly different system for their categories in the store. That's why you can't get your book into the precise category you want it in, because the two don't match up.