Not open for further replies.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Background:

I’m an obsessive sort, so as I write, I will factcheck myself on the fly, hitting the Google as I go along whenever I write something that raises a question mark.

Today, I mentioned my MC driving from Boston to my fictional Vermont town, modeled on the real town of Brandon. In case I felt like describing the countryside he drove through, I went to Mapquest, input a Boston hotel for his departure point and a Brandon hotel for his destination, and then clicked the satellite function to see the lay of the land.

As my eye traced the route he’d be taking, zoomed in close for detail, I noticed various other towns and landmarks along the way and in the general vicinity.

And that’s when the words “Satan’s Kingdom” hit my eye.

“Wait -- what???” said I.

Don’t take my word for it. Go to Mapquest and put in “Lake Dunmore, Vermont” or click this LINK. You’ll see it marked in both map and satellite views. (Note: Google Maps, using the same search term, does not have it marked, but fuck them - they also don’t have the Persian Gulf marked, and boy are the Iranians pissed off now.)

It is even mentioned as one of the satellite communities of Rochester, VT, in the web site of the Rochester Historical Society.

...But the majority of the early settlers lived by farming, and soon adopted different areas of the township as their homes. Homes and farms appeared in little communities called Jerusalem, Little Hollow, New Boston, Austin Hill, Maple Hill, Corporation Brook, West Rochester, West Hill, Bingo, Liberty Hill, Great Hollow, North Hollow, Middle Hollow, South Hollow, and Satan’s Kingdom. You’ll go far to find a town with a Satan’s Kingdom at one end and a Jerusalem at the other!
Brain agog, I continued to scour the Google results and found that there is also a Satan’s Kingdom in Massachusetts and another in Connecticut.

I started to question what all three of these locations have in common aside from the name. First thing: They are or were all tiny little unincorporated communities in areas that are or were relatively isolated and wild. What else might they share, I wondered.

I focused on this quote from the Connecticut link:

From “Weird New England”:
“Descriptions from the eighteenth century tell of the sort of people who were attracted to its forbidding wilds: ‘Indians, Negroes, and renegade whites’ claimed the area as their home turf, from which they would venture out to rob,steal, and otherwise terrorize the law-abiding local citizens. Legends say that Satan himself once claimed the area as his own, until the angel Gabriel decided the area was too idyllic and cleared out the dark lord and his band of demons.”
And it hit me -- these must have been the bad neighborhoods. These were those scary little colonial-era “Deliverance” hollows where you didn’t even stop for gas -- or to change horses, or whatever -- if you knew what was good for you. You know, those places where all the residents have outstanding warrants. In the days when a phrase like “Satan’s Kingdom” was just a casual colloquialism, they must have been pretty remote, but now, with urban/suburban sprawl, you have to drive deep into the Berkshires or Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom (or downtown Hartford) to find those places that should be empty but are full of secret pot farms and meth labs.

And so I ran out of time to draft this chapter, but dammit, I learned something. And I had to share.

Discussion Topic:

What amusing, unexpected research treasures have you stumbled across in the course of your writing?

When you make such a find, what do you do with it?

I’m not sure what I’ll do with a whole collection of Satan’s Kingdoms in New England, but a seed has been planted. I’m sure of that.

PS: In the end, I decided not to mention my MC’s drive at all.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Aliwal Noord, which is now featuring fairly prominently in my WIP had a prison camp run by Brits that was probably about as bad as anything the Nazis had thirty years later. Records are slim, but there are some who would like to do some digging around there. It seems that a camp of tens of thousands of blacks who were Boer servants and such closed without a single internee being released.

Even the white camp at Aliwal was horrendous. During the worst month there nearly 200 children died.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A published author friend of mine set out to do her next book, about a specific historical period, figure, and incident. There's a revered but little-known anecdote about the incident, which . . . turns out to be utterly untrue. She just sent in her proposal. It's going to rock a few people's worlds.

I can't say more, but I couldn't resist the made-to-order thread.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
When I was researching Camp David for my first book, Wildfire Run, I came across the fact that Richard Nixon wanted a new swimming pool built right next to the presidential lodge. He told H.R. Haldeman, who was his chief of staff. Haldeman went ahead and ordered it built, against Navy engineers' objections. The engineers objected because it would be right over an old bomb shelter. Because of the location, it cost much more than a normal pool since they had to reinforce the ceiling of the shelter to support the weight of the water.

That fact triggered a whole plot idea for how the characters get down into the underground command center.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write erotica under another name. While researching publishers, there was a word that kept popping up under the "we don't accept" lists. Now I like to think I'm pretty savvy to terminology, but I didn't know what it meant. Finally I put my web browser in "safe search" mode and googled the word.

Don't ever do that. There isn't a search mode created safe enough. What has been seen cannot be unseen. *shudders*

Excuse me, but I need to go bleach my brain again.

Last edited:

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Haha, that's awesome and fascinating!

I write lots of stuff set in the past so in research I come across all kinds of great stuff. Most of which I can't remember right now, which I shall blame on the fact that I've only just got up and am still having morning coffee. At the moment I'm doing research on pilot training in WWI, and there are heaps of great anecdotes about the stuff these guys got up to (they're 18-24, pilots, and in the middle of a war, after all).

I love this one-- at an aerodrome in England, on the weekends people from the local towns used to come by to watch the planes... mostly, as the guys suspected, in the hopes of seeing crashes (not unlike Nascar today, for some, perhaps?). So, for funsies, they'd make a dummy and while up in the air, someone would drop it out of a plane. They'd have the ambulance guys in on it, so the ambulance would come and take it away, and the public would be satisfied.

Some stuff I find I'll incorporate, but I can't include good anecdotes just for the hell of it, sadly. So I just corner the people I know with some degree of interest in planes/ WWI and tell the stories to them. :)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting that the name "Satan" brings up so many reactions when "Devil" occurs in the names of so many other places. There is a rocky hill in Illinois called the Devil's Bake Oven, a Devil's Lake in Wisconsin, a Mount Diablo in California, and so on around the world. It seems that using the actual name of the Evil One (assuming it is his actual name) causes more shudders than just calling him the Devil.

But then, he is everywhere, isn't he? :evil

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Satan's Kingdom - brings up a whole new idea for a theme park.

Haunted-House-Jester-from-hell-at-Six-Flags-New-Orleans.jpg

Would it look like this?

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wonderful comments illustrating both the delights and the dangers of research. Woot! Thanks, all.

It can be depressing to learn the extent of unknown evil, and of course, a good supply of brain bleach must be kept on hand. But for the most part I love picking up knowledge like that. My personal favorites are those little glimpses into real life in different places at different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.