Not open for further replies.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I know I could post this on any number of other boards, but since we want to generate some traffic here, I thought I'd post it here.

What goals do you have for 2006? They can be mainstream/contemporary writing-related or writing in general.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Well, seeing how I didn't accomplish my goal of finishing my first novel by the end of 05, I have to default that goal to January of 06. I'm that close to finishing! Without the holiday interruptions, I'm certain I would have finished it.

Now I'm going to go at it with a vengeance to make up for the lost time

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
If you're that close, I'm sure you'll make it. Need or want an accountability post mid-way? :)

Partly just kidding, but I'd do it if you wanted it.

Personally, I'm still solidifying my '06 goals, so I can't really post them yet, but I will soon.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
JenNipps said:
If you're that close, I'm sure you'll make it. Need or want an accountability post mid-way?
smile.gif

Partly just kidding, but I'd do it if you wanted it.

Personally, I'm still solidifying my '06 goals, so I can't really post them yet, but I will soon.

Thanks Jen, for the offer of a midway accountability post--but I'm certain I will stay on task with finishing the novel, because I got a good bit of "wind beneath my wings" back in November when the first 50 pages snagged 2nd place in Byline Magazine's Novel Beginnings Contest.

But, where I might need some serious accountability (*** kicking) is with getting my synopsis ready for submission. I can see myself getting way too bogged down with perfecting all my marketing materials i.e. stalling, because I don't have as much confidence with my synopsis writing skills as I do with my prose.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
September skies said:
  • Finish my novel
  • Submit two magazine queries a month
  • Write more newspaper articles
  • Blog a little more often

With the exception of the newspaper stuff, my list is beginning to look similar to this. Though for me, it's novels. :lol

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
JAlpha said:
Thanks Jen, for the offer of a midway accountability post--but I'm certain I will stay on task with finishing the novel, because I got a good bit of "wind beneath my wings" back in November when the first 50 pages snagged 2nd place in Byline Magazine's Novel Beginnings Contest.

But, where I might need some serious accountability (*** kicking) is with getting my synopsis ready for submission. I can see myself getting way too bogged down with perfecting all my marketing materials i.e. stalling, because I don't have as much confidence with my synopsis writing skills as I do with my prose.

Wow! Congrats on the Byline win. :hooray:

I don't know how or why or anything about it, but apparently I do a decent synopsis since it won me 3rd place at a contest back in October. (Ya know... There's my big goal, I think. To finish Dragon Lands.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Apart from getting my book well publicized, marketed and sold :) I would like to finally finish my second novel and start submitting it. I'd also like to get a few short stories published.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
  • Add a couple more 'regular' magazine gigs. Those monthly checks sure are helpful to the old budget!
  • Continue researching/working on my next parrot-related book--got a call from the acquisitions editor saying he liked my proposal/sample chapters and would pass it to the marketing department, so I'm cautiously hopeful.
  • Spend more time on my *gasp* fantasy novel. :)
  • Write, write, write!!!!!!
There are more but I won't bore you with those. Happy New Year, everyone, and much writing success to us all. :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
If wishes were...

It would be perfect for writing (and everything else) if I could only stay in one place - permanently!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Finally! After not being able to post yesterday because of router/server/whatever issues, I can today.

Ray, when is your book coming out? Or did I miss something and it's out already?

I think we've all got a great bunch of goals. I'm going to be making more of an effort to do productive writing every day (instead of just playing around) and sending more things out. I would like to finish the piece I was working on for NaNoWriMo, so we'll see how that goes.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Jen, it's coming out next month! :) I am doing a lot of pre-release marketing and promotion activities. For example, I will be doing a radio interview in a few weeks, and I also have a book party/fund-raising in early February (a chain store is sponsoring the event!). And have to schedule a few signings.

Visit my website! :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Goals

Are you all accomplishing your goals?

I will add that I have a novel to finish and just can't squeeze the time when I have to write articles and short stories to pay the bills.

In 2006 I will finish the novel. (Now I've done it!)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
pdr said:
Are you all accomplishing your goals?

Slow & steady wins the race. :) I'm moving forward pretty regularly. OK, since it's still January and I'm up to 15 subs on various things, it's more than slow & steady.

I will add that I have a novel to finish and just can't squeeze the time when I have to write articles and short stories to pay the bills.

In 2006 I will finish the novel. (Now I've done it!)

You & me both, pdr. :) Good luck on it!

Brandi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandirhoades.com
pdr said:
It would be perfect for writing (and everything else) if I could only stay in one place - permanently!

You, too?

I just sat down with my husband and told him that we have to get settled down permanently. We're only 3 years out of graduate school, and we're still not permanent. It feels as if we're always living in transition mode, so it makes it hard to get anything done! (As an aide, we're researching for the permanent move. Does anyone have any thoughts on Atlanta or Research Triangle Park? They're leading the way right now, and we're planning to visit both this summer.)

As for the goals, I know that I'm coming late to the thread, but I've just found myself in the hopefully enviable position of being able to work on the writing that I want to do (not the stuff I have to do to pay the bills). It's week 2, and I'm gearing up to write full-time beginning next week. It's interesting reading other people's writing goals, and I'll return with my own soon.

Brandi

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Moving around!

Hello, Brandi,
This is a good place to be for writers. Are you writing fiction? If so don't miss reading James D. MacDonald's thread about writing novels in the Novel Section. He'll get you motivated, organised and knowledgeable.

New Zealanders travel a lot to visit the big bad world and then go back home to paradise for R&R and sanity's sake. But work has been hard to find in NZ for the last fifteen years and after spending ten years moving up and down NZ chasing jobs, I'm now zooming around Asia on various short contracts. It's really frustrating isn't it trying to get your internet fixed up for three months and then having to do it all over again? And it is nice to have your reference books around you and not in storage elsewhere.

Go find your piece of paradise, get settled and let us know how many of your goals you achieve this year.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Brandi said:
You, too?

I just sat down with my husband and told him that we have to get settled down permanently. We're only 3 years out of graduate school, and we're still not permanent. It feels as if we're always living in transition mode, so it makes it hard to get anything done! (As an aide, we're researching for the permanent move. Does anyone have any thoughts on Atlanta or Research Triangle Park? They're leading the way right now, and we're planning to visit both this summer.)

As for the goals, I know that I'm coming late to the thread, but I've just found myself in the hopefully enviable position of being able to work on the writing that I want to do (not the stuff I have to do to pay the bills). It's week 2, and I'm gearing up to write full-time beginning next week. It's interesting reading other people's writing goals, and I'll return with my own soon.

Brandi

Hello, Brandi.

No, you weren't too late at all. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's 2006, you'll be on time. :)

I do apologize for taking so long to reply, though. Welcome to the Mainstream board.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
How has January been for you all? I'm actually quite pleased with my progress.

I'm copying my continuation/next goals over from the Febuary 2006 Goals discussion started by Arisa in Goals & Accomplishments.

1. Write the next two chapters of Blue Jeans & Tennis Shoes.
2. Write the next chapter of Confessions of a Fat Chick.
3. Continue with researching article and book markets and agents.
4. Continue with sending out a minimum of two queries a week.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
January

If I average them out I've managed five or six submissions a week but that's only because Dec/January (and June/July) are the times of the year when I spend a week seriously marketing my short stories on top of my usual article subs.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
"but that's only..."

Why take the significance from it with those three little words? It may be the time of year you're working on short stories, but those subs are pretty darn significant, too. :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
How is everyone doing?

Goals becoming achievable?
I've two acceptances and four no thank yous so far with the short stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.