PDA

View Full Version : Offering One Free Book Cover

SBibb
05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm offering to do a free book cover. :-)

So, if you're interested in a custom cover, my specialty areas are young adult, fantasy, and science fiction. I can attempt others, but these I have the most experience in.

I will do one free cover (maybe two, depending on time). This will include ebook versions for Smashwords and Kindle, a full-wrap around image for a print cover (you need to know size dimensions, and where you're publishing), and a few promotional material files: a business card, bookmark, postcard, and 8.5x11 flyer.

I will ask that you sign a contract, and the contract will mention that you are not required to pay for this. You will be permitted to use this cover for one edition of your book (that being, what's stated above), though I retain all rights to the image itself.

I do ask that you either have completed the manuscript and are preparing to self-publish now, or have already self-published now. You are not required to use this cover if you don't like it, however, it is my hopes to create something that you'll be proud to use. :-)

I do my own photography, unless there's something I simply can't access. If I need to purchase stock photos, I will ask that you cover the cost of those, or if there are specific items you need from the photoshoot. Otherwise, I'll try to use stock I already created.

I also ask that you have at least 30 posts here on AbsoluteWrite. That way I don't have anyone asking on their first post here.

So. Let me know if you're interested. Either pm me or post here. State your genre, how soon you'll need the cover, and what sort of ideas you have in mind. I'll take the ideas and try to come up with something that works. :-)

A while back I did this as a free book cover, and the result was a book cover for Rebekkah Ford. :-)

http://www.sbibbphoto.com/sbibbphoto/bookcovers/AWcoverex.jpg

I found this to be a great learning experience, especially since I'm trying to become a professional cover artist. I've recently self-published a collection of short stories, each with thier own covers as a way to improve my work. However, I would like to get more experience with actual clients now that I'm offering my services for money.

Examples:
http://www.sbibbphoto.com/sbibbphoto/bookcovers/AWcoverex2.jpg

(Let me know if any of the picture examples are too large. I couldn't remember what the suggested sizes were for here).

:-)

Gale Haut
05-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Stephanie, I think that it's wonderful that other people are offering to do free covers. I hope that you find the authors here fun to work with, just as I have.

brainstorm77
05-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm not in need of a cover, but you do great work!

SBibb
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Gale: Thanks. Working with Rebekkah's cover was a great opportunity, and I'm hoping the experience I gain from this will prove helpful both to whoever gets the cover, as well as to future clients. Kind of smooths out the process some. :-)

brainstorm77: Thank you! :-D

merrihiatt
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I love that you are doing this. It's a win-win.

SBibb
05-18-2012, 01:10 AM
I agree. If everything goes well, it's a win for both the artist and the author. :-)

Katallina
05-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Just wanted to drop in and say this is a super nice thing you're doing and someone is going to be very lucky! Definitely not the right time for me to drop my name (I'm not publishing until December, and that's if I can get this darn book the way I want it by then. I will not release it until I do.)

Best of luck with this. The samples of your work are gorgeous. Have a great day!

Billtrumpet25
05-18-2012, 01:52 AM
If this offer is still good a year from now, I'll definitely take you up on it. :D

You do superb work. Keep it up! :)

SBibb
05-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like my work. :-)

I just hope someone has a need for my services. LOL :-)

Gale Haut
05-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Are you willing to rework covers for people as well? I think that there's usually a need for self pubbed books needing their covers reworked. Someone here must need help with that.

SBibb
05-21-2012, 04:58 AM
If someone has a book that's already self-published, and they'd like me to create a new cover for their book, I'd be fine with that. :-) Good thinking, I hadn't thought about that possibility. :-)

MysteryRiter
05-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Gosh, those are great covers... Too bad I don't need one.

NewKidOldKid
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
I need one! Still offering?

SBibb
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
MysteryRiter: Thanks! I'm glad you like them! :-)

NewKidOldKid: Yep, I'm still offering this. Feel free to post the info about your book or send me a private message. I may wait a couple more days in case any one else is interested, but so far, you're the first person to ask about it. :-)

Diggy
05-22-2012, 10:33 PM
This is a great offer.

I don't have 50 posts on here yet, nor is my manuscript (being editing right now) w/in your specialties. But I hope this draws you extra business.

SBibb
05-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks, Diggy. I hope so, too. :-)

NewKidOldKid
05-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Will send you a private message!

SBibb
05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
I've responded, thanks! :-)

If all goes well, I'll be working on NewKidOldKid's cover. If anyone else is interested in the offer, feel free to go ahead and post or message me, though I'm not sure if I'll be taking on any more free covers at this time or not.

:-)

Solunar
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Your covers are really beautiful! Have you tried approaching epubs and showing them what you've done?

SBibb
05-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Solunar! :-)

I'm in the process of trying to contact various publishers about my work. I've been looking at the list on Preditors and Editors to try finding potential presses. :-)