PDA

View Full Version : Color of the sun

bkwriter
05-17-2012, 04:15 AM
tell me if this is in wrong spot.

So, I have a space ship approching a planet. Do I make the star just a radient light, or intro a different color. I'm reading world building for writers and I think I read the sun in space when seen won't have color. Not until you get on the planet.

Any ideas?

Mmmmm, a thought just occured. What if it were a black sun.

sunandshadow
05-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Suns are stars. Stars come in a range of colors from blue-white, through white, yellow, orange, and red. The color is determined by how hot the star is; blues are the hottest, red the least hot. If they get colder than red they are quite dim, but more of a brown than a black. If you want a habitable planet to be orbiting the star, the amount of solar radiation hitting the planet from the star has to be in the same range as earth. That means if you pick a hotter star the planet has to be further away from its sun, or if you pick a cooler star the planet has to be closer to it.

Allen R. Brady
05-17-2012, 05:12 AM
This might be helpful: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/starcolors.html

I suppose if there were such a thing as a "black sun", it might be a star that emits light only in the ultra-violet portion of the spectrum. I don't know that such a thing is actually possible, but in science fiction, why not?

Kerosene
05-17-2012, 05:20 AM
I always thought scientist colored them for shits and giggles.

But I guess Allen colored me wrong.

Choose a color (and research the color) that you wish. Black (out of visual spectrum) wouldn't give off any light, so it would be quite dark.

I would choose orange to contrast any green or other colors. Orange is a great contrast. Blue or purple would be weird.

BardSkye
05-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Would a black sun be a neutron star?

JayMan
05-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Even though neutron stars emit a lot of X-ray radiation, they also emit normal light and thus would appear white.

bkwriter
05-18-2012, 10:57 AM
wow. Thanks for the info. A lot of reasearch to do.

Ergodic Mage
05-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Mmmmm, a thought just occured. What if it were a black sun.
Y Class Brown Dwarfs are most likely the closest.

jaksen
05-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Make it a "rare" black star, fairly cold compared to other stars, full of carbon, emitting just enough radiation so it's detectable. Maybe in the infrared range.

When something isn't real, just make it up.

:D