Color of the sun

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
tell me if this is in wrong spot.

So, I have a space ship approching a planet. Do I make the star just a radient light, or intro a different color. I'm reading world building for writers and I think I read the sun in space when seen won't have color. Not until you get on the planet.

Any ideas?

Mmmmm, a thought just occured. What if it were a black sun.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Suns are stars. Stars come in a range of colors from blue-white, through white, yellow, orange, and red. The color is determined by how hot the star is; blues are the hottest, red the least hot. If they get colder than red they are quite dim, but more of a brown than a black. If you want a habitable planet to be orbiting the star, the amount of solar radiation hitting the planet from the star has to be in the same range as earth. That means if you pick a hotter star the planet has to be further away from its sun, or if you pick a cooler star the planet has to be closer to it.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought scientist colored them for shits and giggles.

But I guess Allen colored me wrong.

Choose a color (and research the color) that you wish. Black (out of visual spectrum) wouldn't give off any light, so it would be quite dark.

I would choose orange to contrast any green or other colors. Orange is a great contrast. Blue or purple would be weird.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would a black sun be a neutron star?

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
Even though neutron stars emit a lot of X-ray radiation, they also emit normal light and thus would appear white.

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
wow. Thanks for the info. A lot of reasearch to do.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Make it a "rare" black star, fairly cold compared to other stars, full of carbon, emitting just enough radiation so it's detectable. Maybe in the infrared range.

When something isn't real, just make it up.

:D