PDA

View Full Version : military movie, bunk room scene where soldiers 'win'

Captcha
05-17-2012, 04:11 AM
I'm half-remembering a scene from a movie that I'd really like to rewatch for a little inspiration, but I can't remember enough about it to find it. Help?

It's that traditional scene with all the new recruits in the bunk room, standing by the ends of their beds, and the sergeant is chewing them out, doing the 'tough love' thing, and somebody talks back, and the sergeant rushes over to intimidate him, and then someone on the far side of the room mouths off, and the sergeant rushes over there, and somebody else says something, and it ends up with... I don't remember. But the recruits pretty much destroy the sergeant's discipline.

Anyone recognize this?

Calla Lily
05-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Mr. Lily suggests maybe Heartbreak Ridge or possibly Stripes?

Captcha
05-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Not Stripes... newer than that. Heartbreak Ridge... maybe! I will investigate.

Thanks! (to the Calla family!)

sailor
05-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Two movies come to mind, Stripes and No Time for Sergeants. Both having exasperated drill sergeants. Anything else that you can remember? Was it black & white or colour? Guesstimate of how old the movie is?

Edit: later than Stripes. Hmmm.

Edit2: Biloxi Blues

Captcha
05-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Definitely colour. I have the impression that it was a drama, rather than a comedy, but a drama with some humour to it.

And I don't think Heartbreak Ridge. The POV characters in whatever I'm thinking about were the soldiers, not the Sergeant. I think it was a sort of bonding moment for them all, when they finally came together as a team.

Faint memory of maybe... cleaning the bathrooms as punishment? But now I'm afraid I'm getting the movie I want mixed up with some other drill camp movie...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
05-17-2012, 06:43 AM
There was something like that in Biloxi Blues.

dclary
05-17-2012, 07:46 AM
It's neither Heartbreak Ridge nor Stripes. Pretty sure not Biloxi Blues either.

Brutal Mustang
05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Faint memory of maybe... cleaning the bathrooms as punishment? But now I'm afraid I'm getting the movie I want mixed up with some other drill camp movie...

Forrest Gump?

MttStrn
05-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Full Metal Jacket.

Zoombie
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Yeah, is it this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfZ4Jj09Fc&feature=related)scene?

if so, then it's Full Metal Jacket.

Captcha
05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
It was the Full Metal Jacket scene that made me think of this other scene, but in the scene I'm thinking of, the recruits win, not the sergeant.

Aaaargh.

Raventongue
05-17-2012, 10:25 PM
For the life of me I can't think of where this could be that hasn't already been named. Try searching through the bootcamp films on IMDB to see if any jog your memory?

Failing that, I know of another forum where you could likely get an answer from among the numerous resident film buffs with no strings, if you want. PM if you'd like a link.

thothguard51
05-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Was Jan Michael Vincent in it or Martin Sheen?

Manuel Royal
05-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Makes me think of a tv-movie from around 1970, called Tribes. Darren McGavin played a Marine DI, and Jan Michael Vincent was a peace-and-love draftee who shows unexpected strength of character. They have something of a battle of wills; I remember it as being a pretty good movie. The DI was a nuanced character, well-played by McGavin (who I always enjoyed watching).

Of course, my memories are about 40 years old.

Captcha
05-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Damn, two mentions of Jan Michael Vincent, and no super-copter? I will investigate!

But my memory, hazy as it is, seems more recent than that. I'll definitely seek out "Tribes", but I have a definite last-decade vibe for... yeah, for whatever possibly-apocryphal movie I'm looking for.

ETA: I don't think Martin Sheen was in it. If I'm right with my last-decade thing, he'd be too old to be the recruit, for sure, and pushing it for the sergeant. It wasn't "Cadence", I'm pretty sure - Similar 'fight the power' vibe, but less hopelessness and getting shot in the rain.

Manuel Royal
05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Are you sure the recruits were dudes? I'm trying to remember details of Private Benjamin.

But, obviously, that's not within the past decade. I dunno.

MattW
05-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Was it a training setting, or a POW setting? Both could be in a barracks...

Though I can't recall either one, there are 2 Colin Farrell movies that might fit: Tigerland and Hart's War.

MattW
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
The Dirty Dozen comes to mind too, but that's way outside the 10 year mark.

Captcha
05-19-2012, 04:59 AM
I haven't seen Hart's War, but Tigerland... that might just be it! I will rewatch as soon as possible.

Thanks, guys!

Raventongue
06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Did Tigerland turn out to be the one you were thinking of?

Captcha
06-17-2012, 10:30 PM
No. Great movie that I really enjoyed watching again, but not the one I was thinking of. It was darker, and the victory wasn't as apparent. In the one in my mind, the troops essentially jeer the drill sergeant out of the barracks, and then there was a great celebration.

Possibly I'm imagining it...

Raventongue
06-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Damn. I'd have liked to see at least this scene, if not this movie.

Captcha
06-18-2012, 01:03 AM
I'd like to see it too!!!

I remember really liking it... but that does us no good now. Sorry.

sailor
06-18-2012, 01:46 AM
... In the one in my mind, the troops essentially jeer the drill sergeant out of the barracks, and then there was a great celebration.

Possibly I'm imagining it...

That sounds like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWJIGq2x7gQ) scene from Heartbreak Ridge but that one has already been ruled out. It's not recruits or a drill sergeant, it's a recon squad staring down another squad's sergeant.

Captcha
06-18-2012, 02:13 AM
That sounds like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWJIGq2x7gQ) scene from Heartbreak Ridge but that one has already been ruled out. It's not recruits or a drill sergeant, it's a recon squad staring down another squad's sergeant.

Very similar vibe. Not the scene I'm thinking of (the scene in my mind had that familiar single-out-one-recruit pattern, and then a recruit from across the room made a sound or something to distract the bullying sergeant, and when the sergeant went over there, someone else made the sound to call the attention away, etc.), but certainly the same team-building-through-defiance-of-authority idea.

ETA: This is a bit of an old thread, and I'm happy to have it resurrected because the half-memory IS still nagging at me, but I've written the scene in question, so I can't really justify the question in terms of any writing pursuits. If you're willing to keep sharing drill sergeant vs. recruits scenes, though - I love 'em! Keep 'em coming!

Raventongue
06-18-2012, 02:24 AM
I'd still really like to see it. I dunno if that's enough to justify the efforts, lol.