PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] The Blair Partnership

WriteStarfish
05-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Blair Partnership? I just received a full request.

Unimportant
05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Can you provide a website url?

WriteStarfish
05-16-2012, 11:16 PM
http://www.theblairpartnership.com/
This is the website.

I know that they represent JK Rowling and are members of the AAA (British AAR).

MaraudingDon
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM
The Blair Partnership is a new agency. Neil Blair was the lawyer who looked after J.K.Rowling at Christopher Little.

AllieS08
05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
I received a full request in March, but haven't heard anything since. The woman who I dealt with was very nice and wonderfully helpful, though.

richcapo
05-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Their website says to send ten pages along with a cover letter -- does anyone know if these ten pages are to be attached or embedded?

Thanks.

WriteStarfish
05-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Their website says to send ten pages along with a cover letter -- does anyone know if these ten pages are to be attached or embedded?

Thanks.

I embedded mine and approx. 2 months later got a full request.

richcapo
05-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

WriteStarfish
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Good luck! -- Just so you know, Richard- when they asked for the full, they also requested a chapter-by-chapter breakdown synopsis of all the important things that happen in each chapter. I hadn't come across that in my requests before (only the short 1-2 page synopsis for those that had asked for one), so maybe it's something you want to put together if you don't have one.

richcapo
05-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions -- I'll get on those breakdowns asap.

RJLeahy
05-31-2012, 03:43 AM
I've checked the website, but could find no information on submitting.

WriteStarfish
05-31-2012, 05:08 AM
I've checked the website, but could find no information on submitting.

http://www.theblairpartnership.com/faqs This page gives submission info.

RJLeahy
05-31-2012, 05:16 AM
Found it, thanks.

Undercover
06-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I sent them a sample chapter and my synopsis two weeks ago (not knowing what they ask for) and they got back asking for the first three chapters and a breakdown.

I pretty much sent them the same thing with the exception of chapter two and three. I figure my synopsis which is 2 and a half pages is the breakdown (beginning, middle and end) and in good detail of the novel. I hope that was okay.

I'm wondering since I sent the first chapter and the syn. why they didn't just request the full. Would anyone know why that is?

RJLeahy
06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Do you address the query to a particular agent? Hard to tell from the website.

Undercover
06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
No, they just said "we" would be interested in seeing the first three chapters and breakdown thing. It was Liz from the submission department, but I figure when they say "we" there will be a few of them looking at it.

The only new thing they're seeing is chap. 2 and 3. Unless they wanted a more detail breakdown then what I had for my synopsis. If that's the case, why not just give the full a try? Ya know?

TudorRose
06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
No, they just said "we" would be interested in seeing the first three chapters and breakdown thing. It was Liz from the submission department, but I figure when they say "we" there will be a few of them looking at it.

The only new thing they're seeing is chap. 2 and 3. Unless they wanted a more detail breakdown then what I had for my synopsis. If that's the case, why not just give the full a try? Ya know?

Fingers crossed for you :)

Were you able to submit requested material by email, or did they ask for hard copy to be snailed?

WriteStarfish
06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Email-- and for mine, I addressed it to Mr. Blair since he seemed to be the one person with the specific title of literary agent at the agency.

AllieS08
06-04-2012, 06:40 AM
For my chapter breakdown, I went all out and wrote a sizable paragraph for each chapter indicating the main things that happen in them. It ended up being several pages, but I figured I should play is safe and give them too detailed rather than not enough detail that they wanted.

I also addressed my query to Mr. Blair and heard back from Liz, who I believe is the person primarily in charge of the slush.

RJLeahy
06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Received a request back from Liz for the full, plus a chapter breakdown. I had mentioned in the query letter that I was presently at work on another novel and interestingly, she asked to see a synopsis of it as well, even though I explained that it was unfinished and unrelated to the other work.

Undercover
06-26-2012, 06:58 PM
They requested the first three chapters and a breakdown, like I mentioned. June 1st I sent it and by the 19th, I recieved an email with their decline. They gave me a nice detailed message why and complimented me on my work.

It was actually a nice rejection. Very professional and I liked the fact I knew why they were passing on it.

Good Luck to everyone else in the thread, hopefully you guys will have better luck!

WriteStarfish
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
They requested the first three chapters and a breakdown, like I mentioned. June 1st I sent it and by the 19th, I recieved an email with their decline. They gave me a nice detailed message why and complimented me on my work.

It was actually a nice rejection. Very professional and I liked the fact I knew why they were passing on it.

Good Luck to everyone else in the thread, hopefully you guys will have better luck!

Thanks for sharing! That's great that they gave you specifics. Good luck as you continue to query!

JohnMaravich
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Hello. Been following this thread for a bit and thought I'd share my situation. I've been waiting two months on a response for an exclusive full from TBP...should I wait three months to contact them, because after I sent the requested full, I've yet to receive a response that says they got it. I emailed them a week ago simply to ask if they had gotten the material, but no response yet.

I absolutely love everything I've read about Blair, and Liz has been kind and receptive. Should I wait three months and then email again?

MaraudingDon
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Hello. Been following this thread for a bit and thought I'd share my situation. I've been waiting two months on a response for an exclusive full from TBP...should I wait three months to contact them, because after I sent the requested full, I've yet to receive a response that says they got it. I emailed them a week ago simply to ask if they had gotten the material, but no response yet.

I absolutely love everything I've read about Blair, and Liz has been kind and receptive. Should I wait three months and then email again?

Just my opinion but months on an exclusive is just wrong. Look after your own interests and start querying other agents. It can take months and months for them to read it so don't worry about chasing them up, but you clearly have a great ms and you need to get it out there :)

Haunted_October
07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
I sent a query and the first 10 pages + synopsis this morning and when I checked my email at lunchtime (8:20pm- I'm a second shifter), there was a request for a full from Zoe. Just sent it off!

Brindle MacWuff
07-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Congratulations, Haunted October! Did they ask for an exclusive?

Paws crossed for you.......

Haunted_October
07-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Yes, they did ask for an exclusive. They didn't ask for a chapter breakdown though.

And thanks!

Brindle MacWuff
07-09-2012, 04:12 AM
I should have said.... I fired off a query, 10 pages and synop embedded, on the 4th July, and had a request for the 1st 3 chaps on the 5th. So, they were fired off sharpish, and we shall see......

This agency is top of my list by a country mile, and the first to see this work, so paws crossed.

Haunted_October
07-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Good luck!

I was so surprised that Zoe didn't ask for the first three chapters and a chapter breakdown. I sent first 10 pages and synopsis, and she asked right away for the full.

Brindle MacWuff
07-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks!

You must have hit all the right buttons with Zoe, bloody well done!

Haunted_October
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I just got an email from Zoe saying she received my manuscript and she's looking forward to reading it. She aims to get back to me by August 15th.

Never had an agent do that before with a full.

EddieDean19
07-10-2012, 03:48 AM
I queried TBP (Miss Zoe) on 7/4 and a few hours later had a full request. She seems amazing...thrilled just to be read by such a brilliant agency.

Brindle MacWuff
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I just got an email from Zoe saying she received my manuscript and she's looking forward to reading it. She aims to get back to me by August 15th.

Never had an agent do that before with a full.

Wow! I've been through the agent mill before, with a previous work, and been asked for a few fulls, but I've never had a fast response like that. Roll on August 15th!

Brindle MacWuff
07-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I queried TBP (Miss Zoe) on 7/4 and a few hours later had a full request. She seems amazing...thrilled just to be read by such a brilliant agency.

Well done! I seem to be lagging behind with only a partial request... I must try harder!

Kmarshall
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Still better than me. My query went in on Friday--though admittedly, late in the day Eastern Time--and I haven't heard. Consider yourself very lucky :)

lisasue
07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I had a full request from Blair Partnership back in March, received a confirmation email, but have heard nothing since. Has anyone received an answer on a full from them?

Cyia
07-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Zoe's a delight to speak to. She read something of mine, ultimately ending in a revise/resubmit offer, but due to deadlines from other offers, I couldn't take the time to do it.

Absolutely wonderful in every email back and forth. No form letters, and never dismissive. Anyone who gets the chance to work with her, or any of her colleagues, is in great hands.

Brindle MacWuff
07-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I had a full request from Blair Partnership back in March, received a confirmation email, but have heard nothing since. Has anyone received an answer on a full from them?

3 months? I take it you didn't get a date when they would come back? I'd be tempted to give them a nudge....

Kmarshall
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Well, you have the London Book Fair in April, do you lose a week there. If they went to BEA, it's another week and a half. The Olympics will bring London to a halt. On top of that, three months is normal for a full.

lisasue
07-12-2012, 10:24 PM
No, I didn't get a date--it's not an exclusive, so I wasn't expecting a date when they would get back to me. Should I nudge?

Tumbleweed
07-13-2012, 01:51 AM
It took them about six weeks to give me an answer on an exclusive full along with chapter breakdowns and about the same for a response to the query (with first ten pages and synopsis).

Three months seems quite long based on my experiences with them. If they asked to see the full then I'd say give them a friendly nudge to find out what point they're at with it.

Brindle MacWuff
08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
That's just under a month wait for me on a 3 chapter partial, but I suspect it will be a while, due to all the kerfuffle going on with JK's new book. Looks like things are awfy busy in TBP land.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/31/jk-rowling-casual-vacancy-translation-fears

Kmarshall
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
I submitted the week of 7/4. No word. Maybe no-response is no, but not sure.

whirlaway
08-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I queried Neil Blair with the first 10 pages of my novel on November 21st, 2011. Got a rejection 3 days later from Elizabeth Bonsor.

SheilaJG
08-02-2012, 01:34 AM
I queried 7/13 (Friday the 13th! I guess I'm not as superstitious as I thought), and got a request for a chapter breakdown thirteen days later, on 7/26 (from Zoe). This is the first time I've queried an agent in the UK. I hope I didn't sound like a dork, but I probably did.

Kmarshall
08-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Hmmm. I think I'll requery. Any idea who to I should address it to? Last time I just put Mr. Blair.

Cyia
08-02-2012, 05:54 AM
When I queried them, I addressed the email to Mr. Blaire, but Zoe answered. After that, all of my correspondence was with her. You're probably good using his name for a starter.

Brindle MacWuff
08-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Hmmm. I think I'll requery. Any idea who to I should address it to? Last time I just put Mr. Blair.

I don't think they are 'non-responders', so it might be best to wait a wee bit. They may be very busy at the mo, methinks.

RJLeahy
08-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Kind of curious as to what's going on there. Sent Liz the full manuscript on 6/25, along with her request to see a synopsis on a WIP, both with an agreement for exclusivity. Didn't hear anything, so sent a short email on 7/27 to see if she'd received everything all right. No response.

Kmarshall
08-03-2012, 03:45 AM
Well as said, JK Rowling understandably gets all their attention. I'd add the Olympics to the mix. I have work colleagues there, and they say London's essentially shut down.

Brindle MacWuff
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Coming up for 8 weeks and heard nowt on a partial....

Kado
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
8 weeks on a full and no response to a nudge email (about a week ago). Oh, well. Another one bites the dust, eh?

Brindle MacWuff
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Could be, Kado, could be. Or they could be still up to their oxters in the JK Rowling palaver. Hard to say if there's no response.....

gggrrrr!!!!!!

waylander
08-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Or they could be on holiday, like you know, with their families.

Kado
08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Update: I received an email today from Liz apologising for the silence and explaining that my ms is in the process of being looked at. Really polite and reassuring email.

Now I really am biting my fingernails! Oh, the agony!

Edit: You know what? I've already made up my mind that if they reject me I absolutely refuse to mope about it. I'm actually chuffed that I got their attention at all. I didn't even think I get past the initial query stage, so to have them even consider my ms is reason to be pleased. It means I might be doing something right and I just have to keep at it.

amblack
08-23-2012, 07:46 PM

This is quite likely. Or short-staffed. Between the Olympics and everything else, probably for the wiser. When I was in London this time last year, it was insanely busy with people on holiday. Then I escaped to Germany where it was slightly quieter. I'm interested in hearing how the rest of your process goes with TBP because they are on my short-list.

Project Deadlight
08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I have a 3 week exclusive that is up tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you Kado, positive they still have it!

Brindle MacWuff
08-23-2012, 08:28 PM

you mean they have real lives? Right, all holidays are cancelled.

except mine.

Brindle MacWuff
08-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Nice one Kado! The best of British to you, I've got my paws crossed for ya!

EddieDean19
08-24-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm in the same boat, and Kado, I feel the same as you. They've had my full since 7/4 and they are my absolute first pick (which makes it extra nail-bitey!) But...it will be what it is, and yes, we must be doing something right, right? :) Zoe seems so sweet. They all seem extremely cool, actually.

arkady
08-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Coming up for 8 weeks and heard nowt on a partial....

Well, that beats me. It's been only three weeks for me.

Kado
08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the support guys. :) Best of luck to us all!

Kado
08-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Update:

Aaaaaand...it's an R&R.

The feedback was polite and concise. They were kind enough to say what worked and what they liked, and honest enough to say what didn't work and what needed changing.

So, the stats: 4 weeks till request of full, 4 weeks of waiting in the queue, 1 week for them to read the full and get back to me. Not bad.

Now I've got to get to work on revising. Although it's disappointing I wasn't snapped up Stephenie Meyer style, on the other hand, I'm really pleased to have gotten honest, expert feedback, and I was chuffed with the things they mentioned they liked.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

EddieDean19
08-31-2012, 04:16 PM
That's awesome though! Rand R is much better than just plain R. :) congrats. Who have you been in contact with at TBP, if i may?

Kado
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Zoe was my initial contact and then Liz. Both really lovely. And thanks!

EddieDean19
08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Thank you. I'm still waiting and growing ever more nervous.

Project Deadlight
09-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Kado,

That is great news surely? When you say R and R they said they would like you to resub? Are you going to? :)

Kado
09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks Project Deadlight. Yes, they said they would like me to re-submit and I'm definitely going to do that. I plan to hold off querying any more agents for the time being as I just want to concentrate on revising the ms and knocking it into better shape.

EMaree
09-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Congrats of the revise and resubmit, Kado! :) Best of luck with your changes.

I sent a query on July 1st and got a form rejection back July 23rd. Considering they're such a popular agency they've got quite a good, quick submission system going on.

Brindle MacWuff
09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Good luck Kado!

Brindle MacWuff
09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
And commiserations, EMaree...... I'm still waiting on a rejection from my partial, heh heh!

EMaree
09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
No worries, rejections are all part of the process. :) Best of luck with the partial, Brindle MacWuff -- it's a huge achievement just to get a partial request from such a prestigious agency!

SheilaJG
09-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Good luck Kado and Brindle!

I sent Zoe a chapter breakdown about 5 weeks ago, which she requested. Seven pages. She didn't confirm receipt, like some agents do. I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with response time on a chapter breakdown?

Brindle MacWuff
09-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks SheilaJG!

I haven't got a scooby on the response time for a chapter breakdown, I'm afraid. I'm over eight weeks on a partial, but it's holiday time and all that jazz.....

Project Deadlight
09-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Had a very nice "in process but bare with us" email on my full+chapter breakdown.

Kado
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Ah, it was a week from that 'in process' email to the final verdict for me so here's hoping yours is as speedy. Good luck Project Deadlight - fingers crossed!

EddieDean19
09-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Project deadlight: did you nudge re: your full? I'm wondering if I should?

Project Deadlight
09-05-2012, 06:18 PM
ED19 -- I queried receipt of manuscript when my exclusivity period was winding down, a quasi-nudge. I reckon a nudge never hurts.

Kado -- Thank you... I'll let you know if anything interesting happens.

EddieDean19
09-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks man. Very savvy, btw.

twiharder
09-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Got a full request from them today. They want exclusive look, but didn't say how long that exclusive would have to be for. Is it mentioned on their site somewhere that I am missing? Anyone know?

Also, is anyone here represented by them? I heard that it can be a bad thing sometimes for an author to be represented by a agency with huge clients because the smaller fish will always be forced to be back of the pond. Is that true?

EMaree
09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Got a full request from them today. They want exclusive look, but didn't say how long that exclusive would have to be for. Is it mentioned on their site somewhere that I am missing? Anyone know?

Also, is anyone here represented by them? I heard that it can be a bad thing sometimes for an author to be represented by a agency with huge clients because the smaller fish will always be forced to be back of the pond. Is that true?

Reading through this thread, exclusives seem to take anywhere from 6 weeks to three months. Indefinite exclusive periods make me frown a bit, but hey...

Regarding your second paragraph, it's not something to worry about at this stage. Send your full. If the agent offers representation, speak to them on the phone and ask to be referred to a few of their clients -- you can then chat to those clients and ask how they feel about their representation.

Cyia
09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I heard that it can be a bad thing sometimes for an author to be represented by a agency with huge clients because the smaller fish will always be forced to be back of the pond. Is that true?

While clients are represented by an agency, all of the agents won't be responsible for the same clients. You sign with a specific person, under the umbrella of the agency (at least in the US). So, if agent A reps SUPER MEGASTAR, and you sign with agent B, then agent B won't be handling SUPER MEGASTAR's career. You get the advantage of the agency name, and the attention of the agent you sign with.

twiharder
09-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Is the Blair Partnership considered a boutique agency?

EMaree
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Nope, it's a major UK agency.

Project Deadlight
09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Rejection for a full after 6 weeks. Really detailed response on what they liked and what they didn't which was good. I envy anyone who gets to work with them as they seem a real good sort. Good luck those with queries still pending!

Kado
09-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Ah, that's too bad Project Deadlight. Are you going to be making any changes to the manuscript based on their feedback or is it simply a case of 'not the right fit'?

EMaree
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
That's a shame, Project Deadlight, but the feedback sounds invaluable. Good luck with your future submissions!

EddieDean19
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Oh, I'm very sorry, PD. I do know how you feel.

Project Deadlight
09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys.

Kado - I don't think I will be changing the manuscript. I think the things they didn't like were quite fundamental; I don't think I can write the book they wanted. Onward and upwards!

Brindle MacWuff
09-14-2012, 05:34 PM
ah, bad luck, P.D. it's a subjective business this, and no mistake. Good luck with the next subs!

Brindle MacWuff
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Emaree, I am also drinking tea. with........choccy hobnobs.

for non-UK peeps, that's a cookie, not a medical condition.

EddieDean19
09-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Has anyone else had responses on submissions yet?

Brindle MacWuff
09-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Not yet, but I hope to hear soon. How long have you been waiting?

EddieDean19
09-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Hey MacWuff :) Since 7/4 on a full...I know it's not that long, but their site says 6 weeks then nudge--but I'm scared to. lol

MaraudingDon
09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
I wish everyone well with their fulls, but don't agree to the exclusive. Continue to send your ms out.

Project Deadlight
09-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Just so you know, I put a limit on the exclusivity period and they were fine about it.

EddieDean19
09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys. Mac, their website says they usually get back on fulls within 6 weeks. but what with the Olympics and J.K.R, I figured it would be longer. Just getting antsy. :)

Brindle MacWuff
10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Hmmm... I see what you mean, but i reckon that's for queries only. I could be wrong, though....

EddieDean19
10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
OMG! It's a good thing I nudged today, because they never got my full! Man, I'd have been waiting forever! Anyone else waiting? I'd double check with them!

Wow...Now I feel like a dork!

SheilaJG
10-01-2012, 10:39 PM
OMG! It's a good thing I nudged today, because they never got my full! Man, I'd have been waiting forever! Anyone else waiting? I'd double check with them!

Wow...Now I feel like a dork!

This is why I love it when agents respond right away that they got the submission, and hope to get back to you soon. A lot of them do this, and it's so reassuring.

I had a request for a chapter breakdown from Zoe on 7/26, and I sent it a few days later. I hadn't heard anything, so I nudged on 9/12, asking if they got it. No reply. I'm thinking I have to write this one off, sadly.

kelliewallace
11-09-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm in the same boat. Sent off my samples and overnight got a request for full. Sent it off today. Has anyone actually been offered a request for representation?

SheilaJG
11-25-2012, 09:05 PM
For anyone interested, yesterday I got an email from TBP, thanking me for my patience (they've had my chapter breakdown for 4 months.) It was a nice rejection, and an offer to resubmit if I reworked it, but I've already signed with another agent. I feel kind of bad that I didn't let them know, but they never replied to my nudge, so I thought they had passed.

offtoneverland
02-24-2013, 04:16 AM
Has anyone heard back from this agency in response to a full manuscript submission lately? They've had my full since late November. Just wondering what timeframe to expect in regards to a response.
Thanks and best of luck to all on your submissions!

Molatov
03-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Hello!

I'm looking for clarification on the Blair Partnership's submission guidelines.

They ask for the first ten pages, but is that ten pages double spaced? Or content from the first ten pages which, submitted double line spaced, would be twenty sheets.

I hope that makes sense; if anyone who has submitted could enlighten me I would be very grateful!

EMaree
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello!

I'm looking for clarification on the Blair Partnership's submission guidelines.

They ask for the first ten pages, but is that ten pages double spaced? Or content from the first ten pages which, submitted double line spaced, would be twenty sheets.

I hope that makes sense; if anyone who has submitted could enlighten me I would be very grateful!

I'm a little bit confused by the second part of your question, but I'll try to answer. If you open up your manuscript as an electronic document, double-spaced, it's the first 10 pages of that.

Molatov
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm a little bit confused by the second part of your question, but I'll try to answer. If you open up your manuscript as an electronic document, double-spaced, it's the first 10 pages of that.

Thanks for the reply!!!

My question was a bit of a puzzle, yeah. I was trying to ascertain if they wanted just 10 solid pages then would format it themselves to double or whatever. I know the standard is double or 1.5 but as they don't seem to specify i thought I would check.

I think I over-thought it, submission fever and all that.

Thanks again :)

Girl Friday
06-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Queried them earlier this month and got a same day request for a full. Here's hopin'...

Offtoneverland, did you ever get a response? Did you nudge them?

arkady
06-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Looking back through my spreadsheet, I discovered that I queried this agency on 8/02/2012. I also discovered that I never received a response of any kind.

Was ever a clear verdict on "does-no-response-mean-no" with this agency? Their website seems to indicate that they respond to all queries. I'm wondering, now, if they ever saw mine, and if not, if it's worth trying a resubmission.

PRDavid
06-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Looking back through my spreadsheet, I discovered that I queried this agency on 8/02/2012. I also discovered that I never received a response of any kind.

Was ever a clear verdict on "does-no-response-mean-no" with this agency? Their website seems to indicate that they respond to all queries. I'm wondering, now, if they ever saw mine, and if not, if it's worth trying a resubmission.

I'd nudge, its not like they are going to send someone to your house to beat you up for nudging. I've actually had a half-dozen agents that have responded to a nudge with a "we didn't get it the first time, please resend."

And the no they sent to my query arrived within six weeks. SO I am betting they may never have seen yours in the first place.

arkady
06-06-2013, 03:40 AM
...I am betting they may never have seen yours in the first place.

I agree. I just sent off the new query. We'll see what transpires.

MorganMarshall
06-18-2013, 05:19 AM
So, I queried Blair back in February, then promptly forgot about it. (I try to do this on purpose to keep myself from obsessing; it works about half the time.) Much to my happy surprise, in April I received a request for a full and chapter breakdown from Liz. I sent it off, and the next day got a confirmation email that they received it. I waited the eight weeks stated in their guidelines, then sent a short, polite nudge. That was going on three weeks ago, and still nothing.

I know they got the submission, since they sent a confirmation email, and I understand the whole waiting game and am willing to do so. I'm just wondering when I should send a second nudge? I've heard it can be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, depending on the agency, but I haven't found anywhere that Blair states their own second nudge timing. So, I was wondering if anyone here has any idea what I should do now? Thanks!

whirlaway
06-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Morgan,

I'm in the same situation, except Liz didn't confirm receipt of my full when I sent it. I haven't nudged them yet. Checking over the submission guidelines, it's not clear if that 8-week response time they post refers to queries or fulls. I suspect it's for queries (It took them 8 weeks to respond to my query). I'm not planning on nudging them before the 6-month mark, but that's just an arbitrary guideline I read on Miss Snark's blog. I'm neck-deep in my next novel, so I don't mind the wait. I find it's better for my morale to have fulls out while I'm drafting new material than to have quick rejections on requested material. But YMMV.

-Whirly

Project Deadlight
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
These guys are a very small operation and I am guessing spend a large amount of their time dealing with their "main" client. I also had a big wait following a full request last year but they did read my entire novel so they take a long time because they put a lot of work in when they are reading. I'd just wait it out, unless you submitted exclusively... But why would you ever do that unless you hate yourself? :)

MorganMarshall
06-21-2013, 01:19 AM
...it's not clear if that 8-week response time they post refers to queries or fulls. I suspect it's for queries (It took them 8 weeks to respond to my query).
-Whirly

Thanks Whirly. Your comment made me wonder why I assumed it wasn't query-response time, so I went back to their page and re-read their answer to "I've sent my submission. When will I hear back from you?" (http://www.theblairpartnership.com/faqs#)

This is what Liz says:

"We appreciate that waiting for a response can be nerve-wracking, so we always try to respond to submissions within eight weeks... If you are sending us your work on an exclusive basis, let us know and we can prioritise it."

Since they use the word "submission", I assumed that meant an actual submission of work, not a query. Also, why would anyone send an exclusive query? I understand what you're saying, and it's possible, but this is why I assumed they were talking about a partial or a full and not a query. :)

These guys are a very small operation and I am guessing spend a large amount of their time dealing with their "main" client. I also had a big wait following a full request last year but they did read my entire novel so they take a long time because they put a lot of work in when they are reading. I'd just wait it out, unless you submitted exclusively... But why would you ever do that unless you hate yourself? :)

Thank you Deadlight. It's great to hear that. I'm waiting it out. What else can I do? LOL I just wanted to make sure that if I sent another nudge, I didn't send it too fast. Thank you for your answer. (And no, I didn't send it exclusively. They didn't ask for that, though reading this thread I'm kind of surprised they didn't now...) You said earlier that it was six weeks before they replied with your rejection? (And I'm sorry about that... rejections always suck.) I'm in week 11 now, myself (starting 12 on Monday). I wonder if there's something big going on with them right now? Their Twitters don't really say much. Hmm...

Girl Friday
06-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Hi Morgan,

My 2 cents: agents very often use 'submission' to mean query in the UK, so I do think that timeline is for queries. They probably just haven't got to yours yet, personally I'd wait another month or two then send another nudge.

My experience was that they asked for an exclusive and said if I could do that, they'd read it in 4 weeks. But I couldn't give an exclusive and said so. I didn't receive a confirmation of receipt for my full (nbd, many agents don't send one) and it's been about four weeks now, so... *shrug* Who knows, lol. If I don't hear I'll probably nudge after ten or twelve weeks.

Oh, and Deadlight, why do you say they're a 'very small operation'? I agree that many of their staff clearly spend a lot of time on JK, but they have four agents and NINE other staff, so I'd hardly call that small.

MorganMarshall
06-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi Morgan,

My 2 cents: agents very often use 'submission' to mean query in the UK, so I do think that timeline is for queries. They probably just haven't got to yours yet, personally I'd wait another month or two then send another nudge.

My experience was that they asked for an exclusive and said if I could do that, they'd read it in 4 weeks. But I couldn't give an exclusive and said so. I didn't receive a confirmation of receipt for my full (nbd, many agents don't send one) and it's been about four weeks now, so... *shrug* Who knows, lol. If I don't hear I'll probably nudge after ten or twelve weeks.

Interesting. Like I said, they didn't even mention an exclusive to me; just asked for my full manuscript and chapter breakdown. Though I DID get a confirmation, so there's that to help a bit. At least I know they have it, if I know NOTHING else. LOL I've decided I'll wait at least another month before sending another nudge. Better safe than sorry. Still, the mention of "exclusive" still makes no sense to me in relation to a query. Hmm...

Thanks for your insight, everyone! :)

Project Deadlight
06-22-2013, 08:03 PM
GF - Last time I looked it was just 2 of them actually reading manuscripts. They may have grown, however 2 was certainly small to be looking after one of the world's biggest authors.

Shaba
07-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks Whirly. Your comment made me wonder why I assumed it wasn't query-response time, so I went back to their page and re-read their answer to "I've sent my submission. When will I hear back from you?" (http://www.theblairpartnership.com/faqs#)

This is what Liz says:

"We appreciate that waiting for a response can be nerve-wracking, so we always try to respond to submissions within eight weeks... If you are sending us your work on an exclusive basis, let us know and we can prioritise it."

Since they use the word "submission", I assumed that meant an actual submission of work, not a query. Also, why would anyone send an exclusive query? I understand what you're saying, and it's possible, but this is why I assumed they were talking about a partial or a full and not a query. :)

Thank you Deadlight. It's great to hear that. I'm waiting it out. What else can I do? LOL I just wanted to make sure that if I sent another nudge, I didn't send it too fast. Thank you for your answer. (And no, I didn't send it exclusively. They didn't ask for that, though reading this thread I'm kind of surprised they didn't now...) You said earlier that it was six weeks before they replied with your rejection? (And I'm sorry about that... rejections always suck.) I'm in week 11 now, myself (starting 12 on Monday). I wonder if there's something big going on with them right now? Their Twitters don't really say much. Hmm...

I think that something big was managing J.K's pseudonym book, which is not so pseudonym anymore.

Shaba
07-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Also, I'm still not sure how to feel about this agency in regard to the long wait and exclusivity. It would be a dream to be represented by them, but I fear that if I'm ever lucky enough to be offered representation by them, my book would be washed under J.K's needs, which is completely understandable. She is J.K and has earned that right. So for now I'll wait on it, unless anyone else has a say on the matter...

arkady
08-16-2013, 06:25 AM
I'd nudge, its not like they are going to send someone to your house to beat you up for nudging. I've actually had a half-dozen agents that have responded to a nudge with a "we didn't get it the first time, please resend."

And the no they sent to my query arrived within six weeks. SO I am betting they may never have seen yours in the first place.

As of today, it's been two months and two weeks since my re-query. Still not a word. Nothing. Silence. Again.

I'm taking this as a No.

Girl Friday
08-19-2013, 04:03 AM
I'd had no response to my full after two and a half months, so I sent a nudge a week ago. Crickets so far, but we'll see...

Any of you guys waiting to hear back ever actually get a reply?

whirlaway
08-19-2013, 05:11 AM
I had a personal rejection on my full from them recently. It took just under 4 months from the time I subbed it to them.

Girl Friday
08-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks so much whirlaway, that's good to know (though sorry about the R). I never mind if agents take a while, as long as you do get a reply on requests in the end.

Putputt
09-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Jul 19: Queried with query, synopsis, and first three chapters.
Aug 15: Got an offer from another agency and nudged Blair, thinking, what the heck, nothing to lose.
Aug 19: Reply from Zoe King asking several questions about my agency preference and my career goals etc. I answered all her questions and requested that she get back to me by Aug 23. She said she understood and would make it a priority.
Aug 23: I nudged Zoe but did not hear back from her. Chalked it up as a no and moved on.
Aug 30: Zoe sent her apologies for taking so long, said she loved the book and would be happy to work with me. (Since I'd signed with a different agency, I declined her offer.)

Her timing did not work for me, but Zoe was perfectly sweet and professional throughout our correspondence. She also gave really good insight on my MS and was very clear on what worked and what didn't.

Girl Friday
09-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Congrats, Putputt!! Who did you end up signing with? (Oh and can I ask what kind of book was it?)

Girl Friday
09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Queried (MG fantasy): 22/05
Full request: 22/05
Nudged: 10/8
Nudged with offer: 29/8
Offered rep: 3/9

I went to meet Zoe at their offices, was very impressed with her and the agency, and am thrilled to say I'm now her newest client! Yayy!!

Putputt
09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Congrats! How exciting!

Girl Friday
09-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Thank you!! :)

J.B.Kantt
09-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Queried (MG fantasy): 22/05
Full request: 22/05
Nudged: 10/8
Nudged with offer: 29/8
Offered rep: 3/9

I went to meet Zoe at their offices, was very impressed with her and the agency, and am thrilled to say I'm now her newest client! Yayy!!

That's so exciting, Girl Firday! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :partyguy::D:hooray::PartySmil

Girl Friday
09-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Thank you, JB! :D

Australian River
04-12-2014, 03:34 AM
Has anyone queried this agency in the past few months?

They say their waiting time is 8 weeks, and they prioritise exclusives.

I emailed a query as an exclusive, and not only did I not hear from them earlier than 8 weeks, but not even within that time frame :) It's been ten. nudged but no answer in 2 weeks.

Any similar feedback?

Lady MacBeth
04-13-2014, 07:25 AM
I got a form rejection after a month. They never responded to the first query I sent.

Australian River
04-13-2014, 07:43 AM
I got a form rejection after a month. They never responded to the first query I sent.

Thanks! I think I'll just resend it. No harm in trying even if probably the same thing will happen.

everhope7
05-27-2014, 02:42 AM
Has anyone queried them lately? I was just wondering about response times.

Erin Latimer
05-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Hey, does anyone know how I should address a query if I'm sending one there? Should I just address it to Neil Blair? I read through the agent page, but there doesn't seem to be any detail about who likes to read what. Just addressing it to "The Blair Partnership" feels a little strange.

everhope7
05-28-2014, 10:59 PM
I addressed it to Zoe and Liz, but I haven't heard from them I don't know if that was the best route.

DreamBig2014
09-04-2014, 12:32 AM
I queried them back in May and in August I received a full request, but they didn't mention an exclusive. From reading this thread it appears it typically takes several months to hear back from them regarding a decision/feedback. I'm good with that. In the meantime I get to live in the happy "maybe land" bubble while I work on my new MS. They seem like a top notch agency, I'd be thrilled to work with them.

Eclairs19
11-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Hello, has anyone had any experience with them lately? Has anyone acquired representation?

Nickman
07-03-2016, 12:17 PM
The Blair Partnership (JK's agents) seem short of a number of their clients and one of their agents, Liz Bonser, who was only promoted from agent assistant to agent recently. Get a feeling something has happened, like a big falling out?

Nickman
07-29-2016, 01:04 AM
Does anyone know what's been going on at The Blair Partnership?
The Blair Partnership (JK's agents) seem short of a number of their clients and one of their agents, Liz Bonser, who was only promoted from agent assistant to agent recently. Get a feeling something has happened, like a big falling out?

AW Admin
07-29-2016, 02:28 AM
Going to move this thread to the extant thread in Bewares:

<link snipped>

XSnapdragonx
10-03-2017, 02:39 AM
Anyone had any recent dealings with this agency?

TRA737
01-06-2018, 02:07 AM
I queried them with a MG on October 30, 2017. I received a full request within six days, asking for a four week exclusive. (I don't normally grant exclusives, but I made an exception.) They extended the exclusive another two weeks, but it expired right before Christmas. The last I heard was that the person who read the book loved it and wanted several of the other members of the agency to read it.

Winfred
07-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Sorry I accidentally posted twice.

Winfred
07-22-2018, 09:38 PM
Hi!

Does anyone know about when they start their business day? Did you address your query letter: "Dear Mr. Neil Blair and Staff"? I'm wondering if that's a good way to start my query. Thanks for any advice!

Sincerely,
Winfred

Elle.
07-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Hi!

Does anyone know about when they start their business day? Did you address your query letter: "Dear Mr. Neil Blair and Staff"? I'm wondering if that's a good way to start my query. Thanks for any advice!

Sincerely,
Winfred

Not sure how the start of their business day is relevant but it's a UK-based agency so they should start work at 9am. I would address the query to the agent you think is the most relevant, otherwise have you thought about posting your query in the Query Letter Hell thread? You can get some very valuable feedback and make sure your query is in the best possible shape to catch an agent's interest.

kajjosh
08-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Hi! Has any one here received an offer of rep from this agency in 2018? I got a full request asking for a four week evaluation period. I waited for five weeks before nudging them. It's been more than two weeks since I sent out the nudge but no response so far. Should I consider the silence as a sign of rejection? This period of ambiguity is tough. Is there anyone else on this boat?