Forced Seduction

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen this listed on several erotica publishing websites.

They don't allow non-consensual rape, but they do allow forced seduction.

My mind isn't separating the two. Can someone kindly tell me the difference (perhaps with a brief example)?

I'm going to be writing the sex scenes soon and I want to make sure I stay within the forced seduction area so my work is publishable.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
With force seduction the two people agree prior to the sex to have sex. It is usually rough and sometimes includes bondage.

Rage is non consensual. One of the parties does not want sex.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Some erotica publishers do allow rape.

And the difference is that by the time sex actually occurs the seduced party does want it. However I would disagree that this is always by prior agreement. Force seduction does include actual abduction and similar scenarios. It tends to be more in the frame of alpha male knows she really does want it although virtuous heroine feels obliged to deny it right up to the last minute.

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I think Veinglory covered it well. (The original question. I didn't see the vampire question when I posted.)

I don't read much (if any) of what would be called forced seduction, but I imagine that prior agreement is rare. I think prior agreement would be "role-playing".

Related question (sorry if I've started a new topic): When rape depictions aren't allowed, is a role play of a rape likely to be prohibited if the reader doesn't know until the end that it wasn't really rape? I mean when there's no advance hint that it's role-playing until after the sex.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score

My mind isn't separating the two.

My mind doesn't separate them either. I put forced seduction in the same cubbyhole as date rape. But there are still companies that publish rape books, eg, a1adultebooks.com and olympia press.

F.C.H.

CF4L
Registered
Reaction score

My mind isn't separating the two. Can someone kindly tell me the difference (perhaps with a brief example)?

I'm going to be writing the sex scenes soon and I want to make sure I stay within the forced seduction area so my work is publishable.

I would define forced seduction as a sexual encounter that begins with hesitancy and possibly even unwillingness from one partner but at some point clear consent is given that "negates" the prior less-than-consensual acts.

(IMO) One of the key areas to focus on in a forced seduction is why the one partner does not initially agree to the sexual encounter. A common example would be normative or acceptable social conduct in that situation does not include sex. This could be something along the lines that a girl does not have sex outside marriage or one does not have sex with ones superiors/subordinates in the workplace. Thus the situation is "I want to but can't" instead of just "I don't want to". Another example could be that the seducer is not someone the seduced would normally view as a potential sex partner. The seducer doesn't fit within the seduced's definition of attractive until they display their sexual abilities.

Regardless of what the reason is the important thing is to make your audience feel comfortable with it. For example, say a man grabs a woman off the street and pulls her into the bushes for sex. In the reader's mind their first instinct says that this is a rape, that this scenario is one that would be considered a "black and white" rape (forceful, penetrative sex by a stranger). If mid-way through that scene the woman starts to enjoy it, it gives the reader a distasteful impression that she is enjoying being raped. While I'm sure there is a segment of the population with an actual rape paraphilia (not just being turned on by the idea of being raped but actually being raped) that is a teeny tiny portion.

As a sexual assault survivor and having worked with other sexual assault survivors, in my opinion, sexual assault is less a defined set of actions and/or scenarios as it is the feeling experienced afterwards, the feeling of violation. Make sure that when your sex scene concludes that the originally unwilling character does not feel violated and that the audience accepts that the character does not feel violated.

Hope this helps!

F.C.H.

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
As a sexual assault survivor and having worked with other sexual assault survivors, in my opinion, sexual assault is less a defined set of actions and/or scenarios as it is the feeling experienced afterwards, the feeling of violation. Make sure that when your sex scene concludes that the originally unwilling character does not feel violated and that the audience accepts that the character does not feel violated.

Hope this helps!

F.C.H.

F.C.H - The part I bolded does help me a lot in understanding the difference in regard to what is allowed by publishers.

veinglory said:
And the difference is that by the time sex actually occurs the seduced party does want it. However I would disagree that this is always by prior agreement. Force seduction does include actual abduction and similar scenarios. It tends to be more in the frame of alpha male knows she really does want it although virtuous heroine feels obliged to deny it right up to the last minute.

veinglory - and this is exactly what I was hoping for.

My female MC has been hurt in the past and is extremely reluctant to trust another man. However, the male MC (which happens to be a Vampire) is a Master and wants her as his submissive/slave. There will be forcing, but not straight out brutality or anything of that nature. And yes, the female MC will slowly, and willingly, bend to his will.

Ok, all this helps ... thank you all for giving your ideas, advice, and perspectives.

I read so much, but when I have to sit back and actually pick things apart technically, I tend to miss a step in connecting the dots.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think that fits within a pretty popular trope with a paranormal twist. In some ways it works better with preternatural because their literal greater power and not-entirely-human nature makes the dynamic less obviously... icky. Especially if they have a way to know the submissive's mind directly.

dylancross7

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
With force seduction the two people agree prior to the sex to have sex. It is usually rough and sometimes includes bondage.

Rage is non consensual. One of the parties does not want sex.

I'm wondering where coercion/blackmail fits in. In the story I'm finishing, the main character is being coerced into sex by her husband's best friend, who has dirt on her and is holding it over her head. She's not physically bound or overpowered, but it's clear that if she doesn't go along with things, he will blow the whistle on her.

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory - That was my impression also, from the few stories I've read over the years.

dylancross - will your female MC gradually come to like having sex with that friend or will she never do so? The few blackmail based stories I've read had the female eventually falling love with the blackmailer. *shrugs*

dylancross7

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
dylancross - will your female MC gradually come to like having sex with that friend or will she never do so? The few blackmail based stories I've read had the female eventually falling love with the blackmailer. *shrugs*

I hope to stay away from the "...and suddenly she loved it" storyline, it just seems sort of cliche. She does physically respond, and in one scene she urges him to have sex with her to avoid a lashing with a belt (while she is on speakerphone with her unsuspecting husband.)

There's also one scene where a couple "borrow" her and she responds well to the female, maybe even developing a "mini-crush" on her.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO a blackmailed person who would not otherwise consent is not consenting. This would be outside the category of forced seduction unless she did "suddenly love it".

I have such a scene in one novella and it caused the story to be rejected with one erotic romance publisher as non-consent. It probably got by with the other because it is not with the love interest and the MC is not presented as enjoying it.

Mark Desires

A writer of many things.
Registered
Reaction score
Does it count as forced seduction if one party is slowly and unwittingly being manipulated into desiring another?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mark, I'm no expert, but I would say that if the desire was genuine, the seduction's not forced, even though the desire was created through manipulation.

After all, aren't there legions of women and men who've been seduced by people who figured out what they needed to hear (often some variation of "You're so beautiful" or "I love you"), said it without meaning it, and got their jollies with never a care for the devastation left behind? I suppose that's manipulation, but the sexual desire was real when it happened.

Maryn, who's slept with a few such individuals

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO the basic structure is the wooing is forced, but the sex (from point of penetration) is willing=probably forced seduction.

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if being stranded on a deserted island counts as forced seduction, even if Mother Nature forced the isolation.

Mark Desires

A writer of many things.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would if Mother Nature is throwing you together, it's forced, but by a greater power with both parties unaware.

@Maryn
That's certainly one perspective to look at it from. I'll have to agree.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Does it count as forced seduction if one party is slowly and unwittingly being manipulated into desiring another?

That's just regular seduction, to me. Still possibly inappropriate and sleazy (in real life), but not nearly as objectionable (to me) as forced seduction.

If seduction uses the mind, then the male and female characters are evenly matched, and I can forgive the seducer for trying to manipulate the seduced.

But forced seduction relies on a power imbalance, either physical or economic or social (or other). That's why I won't read it, because I can't believe in a HEA where one of the characters has shown that he's willing to bully the other in order to get what he wants.