Reaction score
.... your boss is probably wrong.

Here's how we sign our business emails now:

Sincerely,

Devil Ledbetter
Head Pencil Pusher
THE FABULOUS COMPANY
(555) 555-5555

Okay, I've always thought this was how it was done, and so has every other person I've ever corresponded with via email in business as far as I can recall.

However, today my boss decided that the "proper" format is actually:

Sincerely,

THE FABULOUS COMPANY
Devil Ledbetter
Head Pencil Pusher
(555) 555-5555

I told him I thought it was the other way, he asked me to research it.

You might think this sort of thing is easily cleared up with a Google search. It is not. A dozen pages of Google later, and every single "how to write a business letter" site out there stops at the name and title. Nary a one mentions where the company name should appear.

My boss's assertion is that the letter is from the company, and the writer, acting merely as a cog (yes, he really says stuff like this) has written it on behalf of the company, and therefore the company name goes first. My argument is the letter is from the writer, who is name first, title second, and company name last as an extension of her of her title.

I am, in fact, Devil Ledbetter, Head Pencil Pusher (for) THE FABULOUS COMPANY; I am not THE FABULOUS COMPANY, Devil Ledbetter, Head Pencil Pusher.

Right?

How do you do it where you come from?

And if you're aware of some reference/link that clarifies, please do share. But don't bother Googling for it; you'll probably come up as empty handed like I did.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I would think it depends on the nature of the letter being sent.

If you're dealing with a person who just needs to get in touch with someone at the company, then I think the company's name should go first, because your boss is right--you're just the company avatar and quite replaceable in the client/customer's mind.

However, if you're dealing with a person who wants to talk to you at the company, then I think your name should go first. This is the case if you've established a working relationship with that client/customer. If you have become the person they trust, then they will be upset by even the idea of you being replaced by someone else.

As an example of this, banks used to have separate line-ups for each teller (like a supermarket with separate lines for each cash register.) When they switched to having one line-up for all the tellers, some customers got annoyed. Those customers had a favourite teller whom they always used, and having established that relationship, they weren't happy to have the connection abruptly severed.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Here's how we sign our business emails now:

Sincerely,

Devil Ledbetter
Head Pencil Pusher
THE FABULOUS COMPANY
(555) 555-5555

Okay, I've always thought this was how it was done, and so has every other person I've ever corresponded with via email in business as far as I can recall...
A quick glance at e-mails from several companies I do business with (whether as a customer or a vendor) shows that you are correct. No one ever puts the name of the company first, unless it's just a generic e-mail generated by a business without a person's name attached to the correspondence at all.

You could suggest to your boss that he skim through his own e-mails to see how others sign their letters, which might help to enlighten him.