Is a full only exclusive on request?

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Due to the recent conjunction of Venus and Jupiter, three agents have asked me to send them the full ms of my novel, and of course I complied. None of them asked for an exclusive. Have I committed a major faux pas by doing this? Should I have automatically assumed that "full" meant "exclusive", for at least a short period of time?

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Nope, you're good.

Unless you agree to an exclusive, there is no exclusive.

I've had agents ask for exclusives, but I've had material out almost from the get-go, so I just say, "So sorry, etc, I'd love to but have a handful of fulls and partials out with others but I've (done what you've asked) if you're still interested!" and so far, that's been fine and the exclusive-wanting agents have still been glad to read.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! :hooray:

And also wanted to add, if you do get a request for an exclusive, remember to put a time limit on it. You don't want to be tied up with an exclusive indefinitely.

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, you're good.

Unless you agree to an exclusive, there is no exclusive.

I've had agents ask for exclusives, but I've had material out almost from the get-go, so I just say, "So sorry, etc, I'd love to but have a handful of fulls and partials out with others but I've (done what you've asked) if you're still interested!" and so far, that's been fine and the exclusive-wanting agents have still been glad to read.

I had the same situation once, but to sweeten things a little, I offered not to send out any more manuscripts until I heard from this I-want-an-exclusive agent. So, it wasn't an exclusive, but I had bowed a bit in her direction.

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

I just heard back from one of the agents with my full - they loved the basic premise and much of the storytelling, but had some very constructive suggestions on how to improve the ms and make it more engaging and marketable - all of which I'm glad to do!

I plan to get right on the re-write, incorporating their suggestions. They didn't mention a timeframe - this might take me a while, as they have suggested adding some plot twists and other rather involved expansions of characters and environments. Is there a window of opportunity in this kind of situation - like a couple of weeks, or a month or two?

Also, they still haven't mentioned anything about an exclusive, so I guess I'm still free to submit. In a way, I kinda wish they HAD asked for an exclusive at this point. Fingers crossed that it comes after the re-write...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I expect there's no deadline on this. They wouldn't want you to rush, but rather take the time to do the best job you can.

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Time for an update:

Of the three agents who had my full back in mid-May, two still haven't responded. The third one turned it down, but that was after a very informative and rewarding series of critiques and tweaking – so although I was devastated that they declined, I was very thankful for their assistance.

I have since gently nudged the other two (one has had it for several months). No response to my nudges.

In the interim, I have received three more requests for the full manuscript! I guess I’ve finally figured out how to write a decent query letter.

Now here’s the rub: one of the three has requested it as an exclusive. It’s a great agency, and I’d love to have their agent represent me – although at this point, I’d love to have ANY reputable agency represent me. I asked them how long they would require the exclusive and they said only a couple of weeks, which I feel is amazingly reasonable. I wrote back to them that it’s currently being considered by some other agencies, and I offered to send it to them on a quasi-exclusive basis, wherein I’d hold up on sending it to any other agencies during their review period.

I didn’t hear back, so I elected to send it to the other two non-exclusive requesting agents. I mean, how could I turn them down?

Was this a bad move? Should I contact the original two requesting agents and tell them thanks anyway, wait about a month and do the same with the most recent two and then send it to the agency that has requested exclusivity for two weeks? I hate to burn my bridges with the outstanding fulls, especially since I’ve heard that it can take up to a year to hear back – then again, I hate to procrastinate and have the agency that has requested exclusivity (and they sounded excited about the project) lose interest.

Last edited:

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
I would advise against "takebacks" if you've already sent the full. Basically, the message would be "Someone I like better than you has asked for an exclusive, so could you just ignore what I sent you? Kthanksbye!"

Instead, why not send the full to the agent who requested an exclusive and let him/her know that while the ms already out with other agents, you'll hold off on sending to anyone else for the next two weeks. Then he/she can choose whether or not to read what you've sent.

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Macy –

Thanks so much for the advice! I think you're absolutely right about keeping my options open.

I'm still hesitant about sending the full to the agent who had requested exclusivity - they had stressed that they only want manuscripts on exclusive, and they didn't respond to my offer to hold off sending to anyone else during the two week period. They had immediately responded to all of my other e-mails, so I'm interpreting their silence as meaning: "We've explained our policy - if you agree to it and can honor it, send us your manuscript. Otherwise, please wait until you are able to do so."

So, I'm waiting until the board is wiped clean and there are no fulls outstanding - which I hope doesn't happen, of course!

Is there a "Rule of Reasonableness" when it comes to having agents review your full? For example, is a nudge in order after a month? Two months? And how many nudges should be sent before it's reasonable to assume that they have passed but somehow forgot to let you know?

Last edited:

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Three months, one nudge only per agent. Then three months later, one more nudge per agent. If they stay silent, it's best to move on. Sounds like you've got plenty of irons in the fire and a successful query, so just sit tight on the fulls out there, don't overthink them, and keep querying.

Congratulations on all the interest in your manuscript. That's awesome. Good luck!

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Quickbread –

Me? Overthink my manuscript submissions? Bosh! I don’t give them a moment’s thought – other than these constant daydreams and pesky recurring nightmares.

In all seriousness, thanks very much for your advice! As mentioned, I seem to have accidentally composed a (somewhat) successful query – now all I need to do is learn how to write a novel that an agent loves.

Speaking of which – this is somewhat off-topic – but why do I get so many rejections where the agent says that he/she “didn’t fall in love with the story”? Initially, I assumed it was just the agent’s way of politely saying “thanks, but no thanks” – but the phrase keeps cropping up over and over again. Why is falling in love with a story the acid test? I can certainly see where an agent needs to assess the book’s viability – but is love the only criterion for book sales? And even if it were, isn’t it possible to represent a book that you (the agent) aren’t enamored with, but recognize its pull among a different demographic group or within a different genre?

My guess is that agents feel the need to become emotionally invested in a book in order to sell it to publishers – but I would think that, even if an agent doesn’t love the book, he/she could still make a convincing pitch if he/she perceives strong market potential elsewhere. It just seems like a more professional approach than personal endearment.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Yes, you've guessed right. Agents need to fall in love with the book, or they won't be able to sell it passionately to a publisher. And that passion is needed to convince editors to take a chance in today's very tough marketplace. Agents are definitely looking for that emotional connection with the manuscript, and that's the professional's mindset.

An agent-author partnership is a relationship, not just a transactional sale. So everything needs to line up, right down to the "I couldn't put it down because I fell in love," piece. Think of it kind of like dating. Everything can look good on paper, but if your heart's not in it, how far can the relationship really go?

Read through this forum, and you'll find more answers to how the relationship works between agents and authors. It's been immensely helpful to me.

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Dating - wow.

I had never thought about the relationship going that deep. I mean, I figured that I needed to establish a rapport with my agent and vice versa, but heartfelt passion... I dunno.

It's not that I'm afraid of that level of commitment, but I WILL have to let my wife know. ;)