PDA

View Full Version : Artistic=Messy?

Salt
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
I know I'm certainly disorganized, but there is a method to the madness. I know where my things are so I'm not bothered by it. I've heard plenty of theories that say artistic people have naturally messy workplaces. Here's a picture of Einsteins, Steve Jobs, and Mark Twains work place.
http://www.officesnapshots.com/2012/02/06/inspiration-the-messy-desks-of-einstein-jobs-and-twain/ (http://www.officesnapshots.com/2012/02/06/inspiration-the-messy-desks-of-einstein-jobs-and-twain/)

How would you guys describe your workstations? Is it similiar to your personality?

angeluscado
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
That would explain a lot about my desk. And my room. And the rest of my apartment...

Kerosene
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Let's see...

Computer, two screens, audio receiver, 5-6 pairs of headphones, speakers, floss, papers, books, cups, water bottle (used today), two keyboards, turntable, camera, clipboard with arranged names and locations of WIP, sticky notes everywhere, cables, cell phone (never used), more papers, pens, netbook, flashdrives, kindle, several spiral notebooks for WIP...

On one desk.
I should say my room has a bed with one pillow and a sheet, my closet has some clothes and some records and I have a love seat behind me. My desk is 99% of my room.

I try to keep organized, but it just turns to a mess later.

I see the Einsteins and Twain's desk to have a lot of paperwork and books because they had to. I could understand that.

Alpha Echo
05-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Nope. I hate messes. Which is too bad since my house is in a perpetual state of messiness.

Death Wizard
05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm good at messing things up and good at cleaning things up, but overall I keep things pretty neat.

Lavern08
05-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Artistic or Creative? :Shrug:

I'm not artistic at all (couldn't draw a straight line without a ruler), but I'm very creative...

...give me a word or two, and I'll write you a story in a NY minute.

My desk/workspace/office/vehicle/home/closets, etc. are so neat and organized, even Martha Stewart would approve.

I can't stand clutter or messiness - It just about makes me break out in an anxiety attack.

OCD much?

Yeah, kinda. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Death Wizard
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
One of my oddities is that as soon as dinner is over, I feel compelled to do the dishes, as opposed to lounging around and digesting. Once the dishes are done, then I like to lounge around, but I can't relax till they're done, or at least well-rinsed.

Alpha Echo
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Artistic or Creative? :Shrug:

I'm not artistic at all (couldn't draw a straight line without a ruler), but I'm very creative...

...give me a word or two, and I'll write you a story in a NY minute.

My desk/workspace/office/vehicle/home/closets, etc. are so neat and organized, even Martha Stewart would approve.

I can't stand clutter or messiness - It just about makes me break out in an anxiety attack.

OCD much?

Yeah, kinda. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Me too. It's why it's so hard for me to relax at home - my husband and daughter are slobs!

WildScribe
05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
My desk tends toward clutter, but not outright mess. There aren't really stacks and stacks of paper or days old dishes or anything like that, but it could be less full of things...

Lavern08
05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
One of my oddities is that as soon as dinner is over, I feel compelled to do the dishes..

Yep, and I have to make the bed as soon as I'm up. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Salt
05-15-2012, 12:43 AM
I've always conisdered writers as artists. I don't have a desk, so my bed looks pretty much like Twain's desk.

Caitlin Black
05-15-2012, 01:15 AM
My desk has:

Monitor. 3 speakers (there's another one underneath, and 2 on the back wall). 4 DVD cases and a book. A coffee cup. A packet of chips. A packet of candy teeth. (They were cheap, not all that great, but it's a nice sugary snack.) Mouse and mousepad. Spray bottle of water, for intimidating the cat when I want to go to bed and he's in the way. Fly spray. And 10 black-sprayed Warhammer 40k miniatures, just waiting to be painted.

And this is a small desk, mind you. There's not a whole lot of room... There are never papers on my desk, though.

I don't think it's especially messy... Just cluttered, because I don't have much room for much of anything. I too don't like mess, but clutter is sometimes unavoidable.

:)

kayleamay
05-15-2012, 02:16 AM
I don't make my bed unless I'm putting fresh sheets on. I clean my desk every Friday and it's messy again by the end of Monday. I leave my shoes and water glasses everywhere and have come to rely on my husband to empty the waste basket in the office when it spills over, even though he doesn't use the office. I do. I let the dog lay on the bed when my husband isn't home and the kitchen looks like a tornado has blown through after I cook, but I'm the one who cleans it. I'm okay with leaving the dishes dirty for a couple of hours, but not over night and the only thing that drives me bonkers when it comes to keeping house is laundry that wasn't put immediately into the dryer.

Does this make me a creative genius?

Angie
05-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Does this make me a creative genius?

Of course it does.

And not just because that sounds exactly like me. ;)

bettielee
05-15-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm a lazy pig and a slob....

however, I just moved, and the place is sparkling clean. I'm trying to keep it that way.

I also made a point of not bringing much stuff - I just kept the bare minimum. I'm determined to change my slobby ways.

Haggis
05-15-2012, 02:45 AM
One of my oddities is that as soon as dinner is over, I feel compelled to do the dishes, as opposed to lounging around and digesting. Once the dishes are done, then I like to lounge around, but I can't relax till they're done, or at least well-rinsed.
Hunny and I should be done eating in another half hour or so. Feel free to stop by and take care of the dishes for us. :)

brainstorm77
05-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Mine's organized and clean.

Death Wizard
05-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Hunny and I should be done eating in another half hour or so. Feel free to stop by and take care of the dishes for us. :)

I wouldn't be able to stop myself anyway!

Haggis
05-15-2012, 03:09 AM
I wouldn't be able to stop myself anyway!
If you do the windows too I'll even let you leave off some Obama brochures.

BunnyMaz
05-15-2012, 03:21 AM
I live in filth.

Death Wizard
05-15-2012, 03:39 AM
If you do the windows too I'll even let you leave off some Obama brochures.

I just recently finished hand washing all 28 wooden blinds and all accompanying windows in my house. Took more than 30 hours, all told. Gawd.

Haggis
05-15-2012, 03:50 AM
I just recently finished hand washing all 28 wooden blinds and all accompanying windows in my house. Took more than 30 hours, all told. Gawd.
Oh, good. You should have some free time then. :)

BenPanced
05-15-2012, 04:08 AM
I live in filth.
You and I must be some pretty <garbled in transmission>ing artistic people, then.

kayleamay
05-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Of course it does.

And not just because that sounds exactly like me. ;)

I'm a lazy pig and a slob....

however, I just moved, and the place is sparkling clean. I'm trying to keep it that way.

I also made a point of not bringing much stuff - I just kept the bare minimum. I'm determined to change my slobby ways.

*sigh* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQMgCy-n6U)

jjdebenedictis
05-15-2012, 09:26 AM
My favourite place to work is in the bottom of a u-shaped valley of loose paperwork.

Alpha Echo
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM

How is that odd? That's how I am too. I cannot relax at all until the dishes are put away, and the kitchen's cleared up. In fact, I generally don't relax until I've packed my daughter's lunch, signed her homework folder, packed my own lunch, and cleaned up the kitchen.

Then, and only then, can I sit with a glass of wine (well, not during the week LOL) and a good book and breathe.

Once!
05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
My mother in law calls it an open plan filing system.

I have two desks - one tidy and one messy. The tidy one is at work (ie not writing) and there I have a PA who keeps me in check.

The home desk (used for writing) is a lot lot messier. For some reason, I have never been able to persuade my PA to come home with me and tidy that one up.

Mind you, it is not as messy as the contents of my head.

Lavern08
05-15-2012, 06:06 PM

^ DANG!

As OCD as I am, I don't 'do' windows - That's what rain is for, right? :Shrug:

The Illusionist
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Hmm, I'm kind of in between, I can stand a little mess but at a certain point I have to tidy everything again. In general I would say i tend to be more organized than messy.

bettielee
05-15-2012, 10:11 PM
*sigh* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQMgCy-n6U)

I've found "not unpacking" to be another way to keep the clutter to a minimum.