business cards & writers' conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
I'm attending a writers' conference in about three and a half weeks. It is the first writers' conference I've attended since 1991! Mainly this has been because of a lack of money, time, or both.

So in any case, I went online and looked at writers' conference etiquette, and a lot of sites tell me I should bring business cards, which I think is a fabulous idea. But what the heck do I put on it?? It's not like I'm an official business. I don't have a title. I only have a few publishing credits as well, and they are nonfiction (not fiction like I someday hope), and they are already linked on my website.

So, what, I just put my name, phone number, website??? ....that seems, well, that seems the epitome of hubris.

Deleted member 42

Name
Email
Website

No phone number

If you want someone to have your phone number, hand-write it with a note on the back of the card

robiiehood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinpletcher.com
I don't see any problem with putting your phone number on the card since most of the time you will be handing these cards to people you want to contact you. That's just my opinion though.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife's a graphic designer and her business cards have her name, web site, email and phone. There is no mention of graphic design, type of work, awards, memberships or anything else. This is on purpose -- she can't get rejected just because her business card doesn't say she does something or because it has a different meaning to someone.

Business cards are to provide contact information. A catchy design, yes. Advertising piece, no.

Personally, I hate people giving me a card that's colored strangely or is glossy. I want a clean, preferably white, back of the card for notes.

Otherwise, yes. By all means carry cards. And good luck.

Jeff

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I have my e-mail and website address along with a small image of my cover art and the name of my book. Simplicity works well for business cards.

Deleted member 42

I don't see any problem with putting your phone number on the card since most of the time you will be handing these cards to people you want to contact you. That's just my opinion though.

Those cards often get entered into databases which are then sold or exchanged, and your phone number--which may be a business line--is suddenly deluged with calls.

Plus, I have had obnoxious calls from people who wanted a date, who got my card at a tech conference.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd get as creative as possible. Moo Cards (moo.com I think) have this feature where you can get mini cards with a variety of designs. Conferences are full of cards, so anything that helps you stand out is good.

As for what goes on it, well, whatever you want people to know. If you have a website or Blog or Twitter you want them to see, put that on, and if you're ok with people having your number, that's ok too (although I understand the reservations from some people).

If your not there on 'business' have as much fun as you can with it. That's my take on things :)

Matthew (Turndog Millionaire)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd get as creative as possible. Moo Cards (moo.com I think) have this feature where you can get mini cards with a variety of designs. Conferences are full of cards, so anything that helps you stand out is good.

Well... no. By all means have a business card which looks cutting-edge and professional, but if it stands out for the wrong reasons it's going to get trashed as soon as your back is turned.

Look professional, not bonkers. It'll help.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I just had business cards made and went for an elegant vintage design (who says horror writers need dripping blood and spooky fonts?). I did put my phone number on my cards (along with my name/website/email), but I tend not to answer my phone when I don't recognize the number. :D

Deleted member 42

Those are great for artists and craftspeople; not so much for writers.

For one thing, they're easily lost.

For another, they're on glossy stock and it's difficult to write a note on the back.

You don't want your card to stand out, you want your presentation as a professional writer to stand out.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Well... no. By all means have a business card which looks cutting-edge and professional, but if it stands out for the wrong reasons it's going to get trashed as soon as your back is turned.

Look professional, not bonkers. It'll help.

I see what you're saying. Bonkers is not good, but I feel any kind of communication is a way to express yourself. Professional can come in many guises, it's not always about looking clean cut, in my opinion

For instance, if you're style of writing is humorous, should your business card be like everyone else? If you use colourful language, and have bright colours, and a website with lots of animation and life, a business card is a way to extend this message.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Those are great for artists and craftspeople; not so much for writers.

For one thing, they're easily lost.

For another, they're on glossy stock and it's difficult to write a note on the back.

You don't want your card to stand out, you want your presentation as a professional writer to stand out.

I can't remember where, but I've read a few times about writers using these to help extend their story. It sounds like it had some good results, if you use it properly.

But again, I do value standing out, so long as it's in a way that suits you. All I know is, whenever I go to an event of any kind, I hope to be remembered by the people I want to be remembered by - in a good way of course :)

Part of this will come from your presentation, how you talk, how you look, etc. But it will also come from the things you offer (like a Business Card). First impressions aren't everything, but they do count for a lot.

Whenever I go to an event of any kind, I come away with a lot of cards, a lot of new names, a lot of faces that seem familiar. But then, when I look back, I can easily forget.

Deleted member 42

Whenever I go to an event of any kind, I come away with a lot of cards, a lot of new names, a lot of faces that seem familiar. But then, when I look back, I can easily forget.

Back in the dark ages of ebooks, I worked for a company that did a lot of business with Japan, and eventually opened a sister company there.I interacted a fair amount with visitors from Japan, of various sorts.

In Japanese culture, the handing over of a business card (meishi) is a formal thing. Both people use both hands to give or accept the card, positioned so the person receiving it can read it, and nothing is obscured and you usually nod or even bow. It signifies status, and courtesy is very important. If someone hands you a business card, you thank them, and you look at it carefully right away.

That made me think about how we use cards.

In the U.S. I will introduce myself and say something that courteously explains why I am giving them the card. I may even write a note on the back (never do this in Japan).

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Good discussion. So is the takeaway, "Business cards are a good idea, just think about what info you include." I ask because I'm off to a conference in October and have been wondering whether I should get cards or not.

Deleted member 42

Good discussion. So is the takeaway, "Business cards are a good idea, just think about what info you include." I ask because I'm off to a conference in October and have been wondering whether I should get cards or not.

I would. It's not much money for a few hundred. Use better paper stock than the default. And I'd think about having them made locally, frankly.

Spend money where you live.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Now I'm debating with my wife bout what to have on the cards. I'd thought my picture (the professional one that will be on the book) and my cover art. She thinks not my pic (because it's too "look at me") and not my cover art because the card will be out of date when my next book comes out next spring.

I thought I'd buy 250 of this, then update the card for the second book. Help, I'm confused!

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
After reading this thread, I'm re-thinking my business card. I think I'll go for a plain white card with my name, website and email address for my personal cards. For the writers' workshop cards, I'll add the company logo.

Right now, the company cards (which I use as my personal cards since they have my name and email address on them) are glossy and maroon. They include our Twitter account info, website and email address. I'm now thinking they're a little gaudy.

I've been to lots of writers' events and cons and I always end up giving out a few cards. I've formed good friendships with some of the people who took a card from me and later got in touch with me, or the reverse. One of the writers who gave a card to me in around 2004 is going to be a headliner speaker at our workshop this year. I keep track of the people who give me a card and I follow their careers, buy their books and so on.

Deleted member 42

Now I'm debating with my wife bout what to have on the cards. I'd thought my picture (the professional one that will be on the book) and my cover art. She thinks not my pic (because it's too "look at me") and not my cover art because the card will be out of date when my next book comes out next spring.

I thought I'd buy 250 of this, then update the card for the second book. Help, I'm confused!

Plain text on good paper. No images.

If you want something for this particular book, think postcards, or bookmarks.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the dark ages of ebooks, I worked for a company that did a lot of business with Japan, and eventually opened a sister company there.I interacted a fair amount with visitors from Japan, of various sorts.

In Japanese culture, the handing over of a business card (meishi) is a formal thing. Both people use both hands to give or accept the card, positioned so the person receiving it can read it, and nothing is obscured and you usually nod or even bow. It signifies status, and courtesy is very important. If someone hands you a business card, you thank them, and you look at it carefully right away.

That made me think about how we use cards.

In the U.S. I will introduce myself and say something that courteously explains why I am giving them the card. I may even write a note on the back (never do this in Japan).

Totally agree, I find business custom in Asia (in general) to be much more courteous than in the West. I feel in England, and in the States too I imagine, Business Cards have a poor perception. You give them out to anyone and everyone, and they become just another form of communication to forget about.

Hopefully this will change one day, but I'm not holding my breath. Personally I try and only give my card to someone who I generally want to get in touch with. However, if you go to a conference this is a pretty tough thing to do :)

Everyone is after that, and for the most part, nothing else. Sad times

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the Bookmark/Postcard for a book. I feel a Business Card is more for you.

Saying that, The Moo Cards I mentioned earlier can be good for a specific book. They can be used like mini book marks. I know of a few people who have used them for this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.