Replying to Long Personal Rejections?

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I generally don't reply to rejections, even personal ones, because I'm under the impression that editors would prefer not to have their in-boxes cluttered with such things. (Not to mention, it doesn't quite seem professional.)

But just this morning I opened my e-mail to find the most extensive and helpful personal rejection I've ever received. Around 500 words of critique from the editor, with an offer to reconsider my piece if I should choose to make the changes that were suggested. (All of which will obviously make the story better...even if I do tremble a bit at the thought of such an overhaul.)

I think in this case, a thank-you for their taking so much time to offer constructive criticism is in order. Is there any reason I shouldn't send a brief reply?

Thanks in advance for your experience!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a brief courteous (professional) acknowledgement in this case at all.

Thank you. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Lucky you. :snoopy:

You can refer back to the original e-mail when and if you re-submit.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Since the editor offered to reconsider your work if you revise, you absolutely should respond. That's just as much a rewrite request as a rejection.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like more of a rewrite request than a rejection. I would do the rewrite quickly and send it in, thanking the editor for their suggestions then. No need to waste their time with correspondence beforehand.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Rewrite as quickly as possible, resubmit as a reply to the email (including a thanks for the detailed feedback), and consider a thank you card. A quick email is meaningless, and doesn't take any thought, but if you have the address for the place she works, I'd totally write a paper thank you card, stamp and all, and send it in to thank her for the attention and detailed feedback that will help you become a better writer, etc.

Also, GOOD LUCK! The one time I got a rejection with feedback, I immediately rewrote and resubbed it to her within an hour. I had an acceptance in ten minutes. :D You can do it!

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Add me to the rewrite and resubmit camp, seeing as how you've said you agree with the requested revisions.

I received a similar request recently to rewrite a story -- the rewrite they requested was fairly significant though it was able to be expressed in relatively few words. I sent a new version to the publication in a few days and received an acceptance a couple of weeks later.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Yikes! Okay... I know what I'll be spending the rest of the day doing then. This is both exciting and terrifying, but even if they don't want it after rewrite it will be better for future submissions.

Is there some ideal time frame for fulfilling rewrite requests? I can't turn this one around in an hour or two, for example. It's a pretty long story (approaching 7k words). But I do have a lot of free time today, so I could feasibly have it ready to go by tomorrow morning. So, when you all say "quickly" do you mean as soon as humanly possible or within the next couple of weeks?

Thank you all so much for the advice!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Is there some ideal time frame for fulfilling rewrite requests? I can't turn this one around in an hour or two, for example. It's a pretty long story (approaching 7k words). But I do have a lot of free time today, so I could feasibly have it ready to go by tomorrow morning. !

ASAP! Keep the story in the editors mind.

Fix the story, send a brief thank you with the attached new story and then hold your breath! Exciting!

Not sure about the thank you card idea. Might be a bit much.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ASAP! Keep the story in the editors mind.

Fix the story, send a brief thank you with the attached new story and then hold your breath! Exciting!

Not sure about the thank you card idea. Might be a bit much.

I'm going to disagree, but only in part.

You SHOULD prioritize the rewrite and do it soon. However, take the time you need to make sure the new version of the story is the best it can be. A week or two is not unreasonable. And certainly the editor isn't expecting to hear back within hours. A few days would be considered super quick IMO.

And no 'thank you' card. I think you might scare the editor as that would definitely be outside of the normal expected behavior ;) But do express your gratitude for the suggestions and the chance to resubmit in the cover letter when you send the story back.

Good luck!

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I've just finished going through the revisions for the umpteenth time. The piece really is much better now, I think, so hopefully it stands a chance. Going to send it in now. Fingers crossed!