• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Anyone Speak Latin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monnrella

Toward empowering teen girls.
Registered
Reaction score
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
Hey, AW Cooler!

This is a bit of an embarrassing question, but I named one of my novels a Latin word and, unfortunately, don't know how to pronounce it. Which leads to even more embarrassment when I talk about it and have no idea if I'm pronouncing it correctly! Does anyone know how to pronounce "transito"? I believe it's also a Spanish word, but I'm looking for the Latin pronunciation. There's an accent over the A, so I believe it's "trahn-zee-toh," but I wanted to check with a Latin speaker to be sure.

Much appreciated!
~Monnrella

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you are right about the pronunciation, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can come along who knows.

As per Spanish, it's most commonly used for 'traffic'. As in, 'Dang, this traffic is horrible!' Which makes for a quirky character name for us bilinguals, if that's your intention.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
No-one actual know what Latin sounded like, and medieval Latin is highly corrupted compared to the language of the Romans. What a lot of Latin learners do, is to speak in a highly accented Italian.

Spanish, French and Italian are Romance Languages [they all derive from Latin.] In English, the roots are weaker.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As per Spanish, it's most commonly used for 'traffic'. As in, 'Dang, this traffic is horrible!' Which makes for a quirky character name for us bilinguals, if that's your intention.

In Latin, it means 'I pass through.'

OP, are you aware of the difficulties of Latin declension? The subject of the verb affects the verb ending.

*Anyone more experienced, please correct me. As I'm a sixth month learner. :)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have the pronunciation correct (going off what most peeps believe today).

On conjugations . . .

trānseo (-īre -iī -itum): go across

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php?T1=transeo&imageField.x=9&imageField.y=8&D1=9&H1=109

Not sure the above helps, but there is a lot to do with it. :) Depends on how you're using it. "I go across." "Go across!" (an order) "We go across." "You go across," etc.

gothicangel is probably the best expert so far. I've had a few years, but hell if I remember a lot of it. It's been a LONG time. GothA is fresh into it, it seems. :)

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
transito can be an intensified form of transeo. Intensives and frequentatives can be formed by adding first conjugation endings to the supine stem or ito to the present stem.

Where transeo means "I cross over", transito means "I pass through."

transito can also be a simple, bog-standard, singular, 2nd or 3rd person future imperative of transeo.

Allen R. Brady

Registered
Reaction score
There's an accent over the A, so I believe it's "trahn-zee-toh," but I wanted to check with a Latin speaker to be sure.

Sorry, you mean there's an accent over the A in the Spanish version, correct? Latin did not use diacritic marks.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, you mean there's an accent over the A in the Spanish version, correct? Latin did not use diacritic marks.

Latin didn't use diacritics, but we do know roughly how the words were accented, and long/short vowels, so dictionaries for Latin often helpfully note the accented syllable.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I found the word in a baby names book with the definition "to go to another life."

Am I completely off the mark here??

I would be DEEPLY dubious of any definition for a word offered in a baby name book. They're fond of jumping off to wild, fancy explanations for what are often very simple original meanings. And in this case, it sounds like the equivalent of someone saying "The name Pass means 'to seek the afterlife'" because "to pass away" is a euphemism for dying.

Which is to say... it might not be entirely incorrect? But I don't think it really has that connotation as its first definition in Spanish or Latin.

Deleted member 42

Hmm...I found the word in a baby names book with the definition "to go to another life."

Am I completely off the mark here??

You aren't but the baby name book is.

They are often far off the mark with respect to etymology.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
The "a" would be pronounced as "ah", the "i" as a short "i" as in "with", and the "o" as "oh".

Make sure it's the right word form, however--in Latin (late Latin, not classical) the word "transito" is a declined form of "transitus", which means "a passage" or "a crossing over". There is also another noun derived from transitus, "transitio", meaning the same thing. However, there's a modern Italian word "transito" meaning the same.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I would be DEEPLY dubious of any definition for a word offered in a baby name book. They're fond of jumping off to wild, fancy explanations for what are often very simple original meanings. And in this case, it sounds like the equivalent of someone saying "The name Pass means 'to seek the afterlife'" because "to pass away" is a euphemism for dying.

Which is to say... it might not be entirely incorrect? But I don't think it really has that connotation as its first definition in Spanish or Latin.

I agree. Also, you have to think about whether your reader will understand it, as it doesn't appear to be a common phrase.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Don't put the macron (the line over the a) in. The macrons are for teaching purposes only.

And "transito" would connote a physical crossing to anyone familiar with Latin, not any kind of metaphysical crossing over. I would encourage you to rethink the title.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
There's an accent over the A, so I believe it's "trahn-zee-toh," but I wanted to check with a Latin speaker to be sure.

One of the major problems with a language like Latin is that there are no 'native' speakers. That is, it's hard to tell what the accent etc would have been because we simply don't know.

I've had several latin teachers over the years and they all have their own interpretations of pronunciation.

One of my favourite teachers liked to speak Latin with a flamboyant Italian accent.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody really speaks Latin. If I can remember my GCSEs correctly, the emphasis would be on the last syllable, as that contains who is doing the verb.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
While it's true that no one speaks Latin anymore (although several scholars do speak fluent Latin), linguists can ascertain from a number of evidential sources pretty much what the language sounded like. For example: Roman grammarians left detailed notes about the sounds of the language; Latin was entirely phonetic; there were a lot of spelling errors with two letters or words that sounded alike (like homophones in English); spellings changed as pronunciations changed (for example, the word "honos"--the root of the English word "honor"--came to be written in later Latin as "onos", because the initial "h" was dropped in speech, just as it is in English); and transliterations of Latin words into other languages preserved how the language sounded.

Latin was not pronounced like modern Italian.

If you ever want to hear what spoken Latin sounded like, find a copy of the 1989 unfortunately-titled movie "Norman's Awesome Experience". In it the heroes time-travel back to the Roman Empire and once they arrive, quite a bit of the movie is in spoken Latin with English subtitles.

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
guys, stop confusing the poor girl. She asked a simple question - how it's pronounced. Going into deep theory is a bit too much for someone who doesn't have any connection to this language. The answer is yes, it's pronounced that way. That's all she needs to know :p

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If you ever want to hear what spoken Latin sounded like, find a copy of the 1989 unfortunately-titled movie "Norman's Awesome Experience". In it the heroes time-travel back to the Roman Empire and once they arrive, quite a bit of the movie is in spoken Latin with English subtitles.

My Latin tutor [ex-Cambridge University lecturer in Latin] would disagree. No-one knows how it was spoken, it's all academic guesswork.

The reason learners choose Italian, is because it is the closest accent we have.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
My Latin tutor [ex-Cambridge University lecturer in Latin] would disagree. No-one knows how it was spoken, it's all academic guesswork.

The reason learners choose Italian, is because it is the closest accent we have.

Heh. My Latin professor would disagree on both points; he uses recreated classical pronunciation, and insists on it firmly. (Nicely. But firmly.) People reading Latin in class who accent the wrong syllables, or make the wrong vowels long or short, or don't make ever C a hard one, will be corrected and then asked to read again properly.

I rather like this approach. It's easier to imprint the vocab in my head if it sounds like its own language, and not like an odd new series of words for another foreign language that I already know. And it makes Latin poetry sound much better when recited, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.