PDA

View Full Version : Ideas: Second Honeymoon Destinations

Carole
01-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, hubby and I had a miniature honeymoon. A one night stay. This March, on Spring Equinox, we'll be celebrating our third wedding anniversary. We want a second honeymoon, and this time it's going to be a week-long stay.

I need IDEAS, folks...IDEAS! Hubby says, "Handle it, sweetie" so I get to figure everything out and he'll go along with it.

We are both very introverted people when it comes to dealing with the public. We like the opportunity to go "out among 'em", but don't want to stay in a high traffic place like Orlando or many of the average beach destinations.

We love the beach. We love the mountains, but we want a warm vacation - so no Colorado or New England trips will do it. We love the desert, too.

We'll probably be looking at no more than a $2,000 / week budget for accomodations, hopefully less.

Anyone have ideas?? I need 'em!

ANNIE
01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Go to Australia Carole - Rob says it's plenty warm there!

Serioulsy- Take a cruise ! One price for everything- just sit back and relax and enjoy yourself! Happy second honeymoon!

Carole
01-01-2006, 07:52 PM
oops...forgot to mention. Hubby gets deathly seasick. Can't do a cruise, although I'd love to.

I've never been to Australia, but hubby would live and die there if he could. He says it's paradise. :)

Gehanna
01-01-2006, 08:03 PM
How about Hawaii?

http://www.tetiarebeachresort.com/

My-Immortal
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
We stayed half of our honeymoon on Kauai and the other half on Maui. Loved both, but if you want quiet and seclusion I'd pick Kauai. Maui was beautiful too, but quite a bit more commercial.

Whatever you do, have fun. :)

Happy New Year

rtilryarms
01-01-2006, 09:07 PM
My first choice is Kauai too with Maui running a close second. Stay at either place and you will find romance, beauty and shopping.

I've been to Hawaii 5 times for durations of 2 weeks in Maui to 5 minutes in Pearl Harbor.

The 5 minutes was the most exciting.

Carole
01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Hawaii! I hadn't thought of there! Gotta go look now :)

scarletpeaches
01-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Pah! I hate it when men say, you deal with it...Lazy blighters! Make an effort, Mr Carole - she's worth it! (And has lovely hair, too).

May I suggest a dirty weekend in my house. I'll bail out, go to stay with friends. Just do the hoovering and dishes, leave a $2,000 cheque on the coffee table before you leave. :D

Unique
01-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I've heard Belize (http://www.travelbelize.org/) is a pretty place. And warm. I don't know how much you'd get for 2 grand though. Anyone been there?

The panhandle beaches (http://www.oldcarabellehotel.com/)in Florida are pretty; uh, they were pretty. The hurricanes may have changed that. March isn't dependably warm either; nor here in Carolina (http://www.outer-banks.com/) or I'd have suggested that. Plenty of beautiful and lonely beaches here but late April/early May are more dependably warm.

Carole
01-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Anyone been to Sedona?

(Scarlet, I'll get back to you on that. I've always wanted to go to Scotland. But will it be warm there in March? Plus, why do I have to vacuum? I'll be on holiday! The least you could do is toss in free vacuuming AND perhaps a nice meal or five!!)

scarletpeaches
01-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Warm? Warm? Must go look that up on dictionary.com

It's above freezing! What more do you want, woman?! You've got hubby to keep you warm!

Carole
01-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I wanna walk around in the altogether if I wanna without freezing my hiney off! (oops! better put covers on the furniture!)

scarletpeaches
01-01-2006, 10:07 PM
My flat isn't overlooked, so you can streak to your heart's content, although the hamster might be a tad shocked to see a nekkit American couple in my living room.

Perks
01-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Carole! Some of the places mentioned are going to be pricey. I am not a beach person, but found the Gulf Coast of Florida very nice. Bradenton Beach and all of the Anna Maria Island area, just west of Tampa was really beautiful and not too boisterous.

blisswriter
01-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey there Carole,

Try Apple Vacations for cheap prices once you come up with the destination. We went to Freeport (Bahamas) in October and it didn't cost much. My mom got a package deal on an all-inclusive that was about $600 per person.

The beach was gorgeous, the staff was excellent, the room was okay (I've stayed in better; I'd say it was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5), the food was so-so (not nasty but not what I expected), and the other guests were friendly.

I think you need to book Apple through an agent though. Also, March might still be high season so prices might be a little high.

Bermuda is a beautiful island. It's definitely a destination for lovers. But it's hard to find a good (read: cheap) package deal to Bermuda and the price of food, etc is a bit steeper than other islands.

The U.S. Virgin Islands are pretty too, as is Cozumel (Mexico). USVI can be pricey. Cozumel might be as well.

Good luck with finding a wonderful place and congrats on getting three years. :Hug2:

Paint
01-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I have been to Sedona-briefly. I think that may be touristy. It is very lovely though and you might be able to get a nice cabin away from things. I have went to Texas in March and it was beautiful. All the wildflowers bloom and it is about 90 degrees. Corpus Christy (sp?) on the gulf is pretty. I liked the white sand, ocean breakers, palm trees and flowers. One year I saw Dolphins from a ferry, big highlight. It was never too busy unless it was Spring Break, then you don't wanna. Good prices, good food.

Carole
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Good luck with finding a wonderful place and congrats on getting three years. :Hug2:
Excellent ideas! Thanks!

We are going on three years of wedded bliss, but also 8 years of bliss all totaled. Our 8 year anniversary happens the 15th (hubby says 16th) of this month.

Carole
01-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I have been to Sedona-briefly. I think that may be touristy.
That's really a bummer. I thought Sedona wasn't like that.

blisswriter
01-01-2006, 10:48 PM
That's really a bummer. I thought Sedona wasn't like that.

Sedona didn't seem touristy when I went but that was over 10 years ago. I don't think it would be a good place for March if you want warm. They are up north and up in the mountains. I remember that the drive up (from Phoenix) was perilous. A few times I imagined us driving off the mountainside. LOL

The scenery is breathtaking. Maybe y'all can visit another time? I get a periodic e-mail of area events from an inn owner there. (I don't know him. I signed up for it on their website.) I can forward to you for later if you want.

September skies
01-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I don't know what it is like after the hurricanes - but you may check out Captiva Island and Sanibel Island. (Florida gulf coast) The area there is absolutely gorgeous - Sanibel Island costs less and they have some adorable little cottages and bike trails all around so that you can bike to town. I had seen them last summer as low as $650 - $750 a week (that may have been a condo on the island) but I do believe that you'll be there during their higher season so I'm not sure what it may cost. There are more reasonable stays in Fort Myers or near the causeway. And then just take day trips to the islands.

But no matter where you may be thinking of, call the chamber today and request brochures. You'll get some lovely ideas as to where to go and what to do.

For Sanibel/Captiva Chamber of Commerce: 1159 Causeway Rd.
Sanibel, Florida 33957-3709, Phone: (941) 472-1080.

Just call and you'll have everything within a week.

The nice thing about the islands - you can do as little or nothing as possible - the seashells are amazing too. And since a lot of places have kitchenettes, you can wake up late and make your own breakfast and enjoy time together.

And when you asked about Sedona, did you mean Sedona, Arizona? (somehow I think not) but if you did - I fell in love with the place this past summer. It's so gorgeous! But can be expensive...unless you stay in Flagstaff or something like that. Or Phoenix - only an hour and a half drive.

Old Hack
01-01-2006, 11:33 PM
You could take a two-centre holiday and stay with me AND Scarlet Peaches: I live in the Peak District and I can promise beautiful scenery, peacocks aplenty and all the solitude you can handle. The warmth... well. That might be a problem. Last March we had about three feet of snow here. I could lend you a jumper, how about that? Here's a picture of where I live:

http://beta9.picturehost.co.uk/house--long%20view--low%20res.jpg

See? Gorgeous. And I won't make you hoover unless you really want to.

PattiTheWicked
01-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey Carole! Some of the places mentioned are going to be pricey. I am not a beach person, but found the Gulf Coast of Florida very nice. Bradenton Beach and all of the Anna Maria Island area, just west of Tampa was really beautiful and not too boisterous.

I can agree with that. My folks live in Bradenton, and when we visit them we go in the off season and rent a beach house. In Sept. 2004 we rented a 3-bedroom house on the beach for just $600 for a week on Anna Maria. There's a lot to do in that area, including just quiet time on the beach, but there's also the Bradenton Museum, Busch Gardens Tampa, several historical sites, and a lot of community theater groups.

Or you could drive to Columbus and sleep in my family room, which is really inexpensive.

SC Harrison
01-02-2006, 12:04 AM
How about Venice:

http://www.troytours.com/tours/city/venice.html

This is not the same company I used for my Paris trip, but I found them in the same magazine (Budget Travel). We stayed in a quaint little hotel in a great neighborhood—air and hotel were only $600 a piece. I've been looking at Italy for a while, as I may go this year.

SpookyWriter
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Do you just need warm or fun and exciting? Try Istanbul, Turkey for an adventure this time of year. Tickets and accomdations should fit your budget. Try the Hotel Madrid or Lucky for three-star accomdations. Most of Europe is too cold now, but Morroco is warm and inexpensive. Someone said the Virgin Islands, yep. or Dominican Republic is another warm spot and easy enough to get to without much hassles.

Thailand will still be warm. Fun place to visit anytime of the year.

Good luck,

Jon

Carole
01-02-2006, 01:09 AM
See? Gorgeous. And I won't make you hoover unless you really want to.

I am still absolutely SCRAPING my jaw off the floor. Can I just come live with you instead?? I promise to do all the chores and I make a fabulous chocolate cake!

In all seriousness, That photo looks like what home *ought* to be for me. I am truly envious.

Patti: Now we're getting somewhere. That sounds right up our alley for this trip. Even in the high season, the Tampa area is totally doable and just a day's drive for us from here. Do you have any info on where you stayed?

Carole
01-02-2006, 01:11 AM
For Sanibel/Captiva Chamber of Commerce: 1159 Causeway Rd.
Sanibel, Florida 33957-3709, Phone: (941) 472-1080.

Just call and you'll have everything within a week.
I'll check that out. That's hubby's old stomping ground. He was raised in Fort Myers.

And when you asked about Sedona, did you mean Sedona, Arizona? (somehow I think not) but if you did - I fell in love with the place this past summer. It's so gorgeous! But can be expensive...unless you stay in Flagstaff or something like that. Or Phoenix - only an hour and a half drive.

I did mean Sedona, AZ. We have been dying to go for several years. :)

Carole
01-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Although going out of the country is an enchanting idea, we are kinda saving that for a future date :)

Most likely, Ireland will be the starting destination for that trip.

Carole
01-02-2006, 02:09 AM
I was so inspired by that gorgeous photo, it's now my new desktop background!

This is my old one. It's GIR (If you've never seen Invader Zim, you HAVE to watch it. GIR is my favorite charachter!)

Carole
01-02-2006, 02:10 AM
And the new and improved desktop. It makes me smile :)

threedogpeople
01-02-2006, 02:27 AM
I've been to Sedona (and the surrounding areas) at least a dozen times. About 10-15 years ago Sedona was fabulous but it has now been turned into a "new age" crystal tourist trap. Which is a shame since the scenery is so fabulous.

You could fly to Las Vegas, drive to the Arizona/Nevada/Utah border, go to Zion and Bryce National Parks. If you decide that you want to see this area send me a PM and I'll give you several options for tour loops (when we lived in San Francisco we went did the "ring of fire" tour many, many, many times). I know this area better than I know Vancouver Island (so far).

At that time of the year, if you like being outside I would also suggest Big Bend National Park on the Texas/Mexico border. It has tons of things to do, walking/hiking trails and is very, very private.

Another choice would be San Antonio on the river walk for a couple of nights (stay on the river, stroll hand in hand, see the Alamo, go to the museums, eat at outdoor restaurants, visit Sea World or 6-Flags) then moving to The Canyon of the Eagles near Bandera, Texas (it's a golf resort/spa and they light the grounds after dark). We went in March one year and there were herds of deer running on the golf course after dark (30-40-50 of them), lightening bugs, it was very mild and beautiful. It was very romantic.

I also love Marco Island, Florida. My brother-in-law has several condos there so it is a family favorite BUT it won't be as private as some of the other locations and it may be around "spring break" time which would drive the rates way up.

My-Immortal
01-02-2006, 08:01 AM
You could fly to Las Vegas, drive to the Arizona/Nevada/Utah border, go to Zion and Bryce National Parks.

Zion and Bryce National Parks are gorgeous. Capital Reef National Park too. I was almost killed in Zion - the brakes on the college van went out on me while I was driving through a mountain tunnel. I downshifted into first which slowed the van to about 30mph. The teacher in the van with me (and six other students) told me that I'd have to stop the van somehow once I got out of the tunnel, because after the first turn, the rest of the way down the mountain was steeper and filled with tight switchbacks. I tried the emergency brake, but it didn't work (later we found out the emergency brake wasn't even hooked up!) I ended up having to rub the van's wheels against the wall while shifting it from first straight into park (not the best for the transmission! LOL), but I did get the van stopped before we went over the cliff. Despite that, Zion was quite beautiful. :)

Grand Canyon is beautiful too....Monument Valley....Devil's Tower in Wyoming (though probably not that warm in spring).

I'm sure where ever you go, you'll have fun because you'll be there with your hubby. :)

Take care

September skies
01-02-2006, 09:26 AM
http://www.wildnatureimages.com/images%202/040206-002..jpg

Sedona is gorgeous! I love all those red mountains. I fell in love with it and can't wait to go back again. I only spent two days there but am looking forward to going back. If you go, make sure and go to Sliding Rock State Park (it was lightening the day we went there and couldn't go in the river)

WVWriterGirl
01-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Yep, you need to consider that March & April are prime spring break months. Just about any beach or big ski resort you can think about is going to be crawling with drunken, rowdy college kids. Not necessarily the right atmosphere for a romantic getaway.

My husband and I do a getaway for our birthday/anniversary (since they're only 2 days apart) every year. It's usually just a weekend - two or three days or so - and we've not repeated the same trip and only been out of state once. Our past trips have included:

1. Weekend in Washington, DC where we took in a Redskins game and toured the city
2. Canaan Valley, Smoke Hole Caverns, Seneca Rocks and the Greenbank telescope - a couple of days
3. We've done "dinner and a movie" packages at hotels in nearby cities (Charleston and Huntington) two or three times now. These are the best because we're comfortable with our surroundings, know what to do, have everything paid for and can still feel like we're "getting away". They're easy on the pocketbook, too - about $120-$130 buck for 1 night, a full meal and two movie tickets
4. When we lived in North Carolina, we took two weekend trips to Myrtle Beach. Of course, our anniversary and birthday fall in late October, so the crowds weren't an issue at the overly-popular beach.

What we try to do is think "off the beaten path". If there's a city you've just always wanted to see, go see it. How about Seattle? Maybe one of the smaller ski resorts here in WV - they're popular and well taken care of, but no where near as crowded as say, Steamboat. Canaan Valley, Snowshoe, Timberline...all are gorgeous, relatively cheap (even in the "on" season) and the cold weather gives you good reason to snuggle with the hubby. If you're looking for something warmer, why not consider Charleston S.C. or Savannah GA? Both have beautiful architecture, a history, are on the ocean and (should be) warm enough in March that you could at least take a few beach walks.

If you want to banter about a few ideas, PM me or email me - I love to travel and can't spend a lot of time at the beach (due to a lot of skin irritation and allergies) so I'm brimming over with "alternative" destinations for vacation.

Later, chickie-doodle!

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
We went to the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame for our honeymoon. Maybe...

naw. nevermind.

Old Hack
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
I am still absolutely SCRAPING my jaw off the floor. Can I just come live with you instead?? I promise to do all the chores and I make a fabulous chocolate cake!

Carole, anyone with proper long hair which is PINK is always welcome here. As is chocolate cake.

Don't be too envious: most of the house is derelict still. We are off-mains (so no power, water or drainage apart from what we sort out for ourselves), and it's heavy, hard work living here--I sometimes need a shovel to do the housework, no exaggeration.

Now, I'm going to try to attach a photo here but I've not done it before so it might not work. If it does, take a look at the photo of the house: those stones in the foreground are the top stones of a wall which is about three feet high. The other shot is of part of the mile-long track up to the house. The photos were taken in March a few years ago. Still want to come?

Old Hack
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
And the new and improved desktop. It makes me smile :)

It makes me smile, too. I am so flattered. Mind you, from that distance you can't tell what a mess the house is in!

I am very lucky, though. All I have to do to see the moors is look out of the window. No wonder I like it here.

Carole
01-02-2006, 02:26 PM
I spent a few years restoring historic homes. Yours is a beauty! I love the pics with snow, but I am especially fond of the countryside in the first one.

I don't know if it's my heritage or what (mostly Irish and a little Scot) but I wasn't kidding when I said it looked like what ought to be for me :)

Old Hack
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
We've done a huge amount of work here, and there's even more still to be done. But I've taken advantage of that: in the last five years I've written extensively about renovation and building, and now know far too much about dry rot and septic tanks (we put in our own new tank a couple of years ago).

I think it must be something to do with the Celtic spirit (although you look more Anglo Saxon to me, Carole), taking on this sort of house. A determination to live life battling!

aruna
01-02-2006, 03:40 PM
well, if you;re coming this way might as well drop by my place as well, on the South Coast. Here's what you get:
http://www.beachyhead.org.uk/_images/_images/_new/7sisters.jpg Beachy Head, with its dramatic white cliffs and gently undulating downs, is an area of outstanding natural beauty and tranquillity which belies its proximity to the busy south eastern towns of England.

It is a haven for those who like to walk or cycle. It's also a great place for hang-gliding, mountain boarding, or for the rather less extreme sport of flying a kite. It is easy to reach for a holiday, a weekend or a day away.

There are many historic sites in the area, as well as pretty villages with good pubs, shops and restaurants to visit, and all within easy reach of the main towns of the region. For a complete change, visitors are welcome to spend some time at the farm or the sheep centre.

There is a choice of holiday accommodation and there are even facilities for a romantic wedding, guaranteed to be memorable for guests as well as the happy couple.

We hope to see you here and would be happy to provide any further information you may require. or visit the countryside centre (http://www.beachyhead.org.uk/09_countryside/01_info.htm).

http://www.beachyhead.org.uk/_images/dot_clear.gif

http://www.beachyhead.org.uk/_images/dot_clear.gif

aruna
01-02-2006, 03:42 PM
However, if you want to be nearer home and in a warmer clime, try Tobago, in the South Caribbean. It's not as touristy as Bermuda and Barbados, and very beautiful, lovely people. I used to take my kids there year after year and they love it!

http://image28.webshots.com/28/5/38/22/299853822TETpgg_ph.jpg (http://community.webshots.com/photo/273936920/299853822TETpgg#)

PrettySpecialGal
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi Carole-
I think TDN suggested San Antonio- which is a great place, but Fredricksburg is also wonderful- there are a ton of little beds and breakfasts around, and the hill country is great! It's really close to San Antonio, so you can get the night-lifey stuff or river walk experience from there, and there are a few brewpubs and lots of historical things around F-burg. Plus, if you go in the spring, there are fresh peaches EVERYWHERE- lovely to smell and eat.
Here's a link if you're interested in the b-n-b thing- actually, I think there are reservations for all around Texas on this site, not just the hill country.
http://www.fredericksburg-lodging.com

Hope you find somewhere fun-

NeuroFizz
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi, Carole,

Sedona is beautiful if you like breathtaking scenery and hiking/outdoors activities, jeep tours, etc.. It's what you make of it. There are tourist-oriented places, particularly those that cater to the retirement crowd. They are pricey this time of year (including March). Your best bet there might be to look for a Bed-and-Breakfast or an out-of-the-way place that is removed from the tourist areas. If you are a AAA member, have them give you a hand.

If you like Phoenix, we found a nice condo-like place that included a full kitchen (with all cooking and eating implements, even including a dishwasher AND washer and dryer), a small living room, and a bedroom (with a huge jacuzzi--yes, in the bedroom) for a little over $150 a night, and that was just a month ago. It has a huge pool and activities in the evenings. If you want to just hang out in a warm area, it's a bargain. However, for a honeymoon, I don't know. We had a purpose to our visit, and with two kids, cooking for ourselves was desired. The only drawback, is the place is not just a hotel (it's a Sheraton), but a time-share place. They constantly leave messages on the phone encouraging the residents to "take the tour" which, I'm sure, includes a hard-sell. They do offer up to $100 off the bill for doing the tour. We just kept erasing the messages.

Check out Santa Barbara, CA and surrounding places. It has the weather of LA, but not the crowds and traffic. If you like the Pacific Ocean and want a low-key place that isn't really a tourist destination, one of my favorite California cities/beach areas is San Luis Obispo. It's not as warm as Southern California and the beaches are in-between the sandy expanses of the South and the rough Northern California seaside. It's in the Point Concepcion area--the break-point between Northern and Southen California.

If you like the more dramatic sea coast, go up to the Arcata area. It will be chilly, but the Redwoods are right there near the ocean. Just like Sedona, a camera is a must.

Good luck, and have a great time.

mkcbunny
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Anyone been to Sedona?

(Scarlet, I'll get back to you on that. I've always wanted to go to Scotland. But will it be warm there in March? Plus, why do I have to vacuum? I'll be on holiday! The least you could do is toss in free vacuuming AND perhaps a nice meal or five!!)
Sedona is overrated, IMHO. It's getting developed, and it doesn't seem quaint at all. We went through it on our Grand Canyon trip a couple of years ago. It just seemed touristy and crowded, traffic congestion - and this was off-season. The Grand Canyon was beautiful and relaxing, though. We went in mid-March. However, the warmest it got on the rim was probably 70, maybe only 65. If you are big hikers and can handle going down into the canyon, it is much warmer down there. The Grand Canyon was a great trip. Not much in the way of luxurious accomodations available, though. Outside the park entrance, Best Western may have been the most upscale option. Inside, more rustic lodging, unless you can afford the "fancy" lodge on your budget, which you may be able to do. It looked pretty nice; dinner was excellet there.

We also went on to Zion and Bryce canyons. Zion was lovely and warm, as you are on the canyon floor. Bryce was lovely and very peaceful but cold, as you are on the rim and the elevation is higher; it snowed when we were there.

mkcbunny
01-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Sedona didn't seem touristy when I went but that was over 10 years ago. I don't think it would be a good place for March if you want warm. They are up north and up in the mountains.
It was probably cute once, but when we went [March 2003], you could just see all of the development cropping up. Condos, spas, hotels, restaurants ... it was nothing like what I had imagined it would be, other than the pretty scenery.

Gehanna
01-03-2006, 03:00 AM
So, when are we all going on your second honeymoon? We need to pack.

Carole
01-03-2006, 04:32 AM
I think it must be something to do with the Celtic spirit (although you look more Anglo Saxon to me, Carole)
heehe. Daddy is 100% Irish as far as any of us know. His family has only been in this country for three...or is it four generations. (My maiden name is Conner...guess where THAT came from) Mom is mostly Irish with a Smattering of Scot on her mom's side.

Carole
01-03-2006, 02:17 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gif So no one in the US has any claim to any heritage, besides American, regardless of where the bulk of their family history lies?

Geez. never knew Scots were so snobbish and hateful.

Hateful Scot.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif
(I don't guess Mamaw being a MacColgan has any bearing on the Scot heritage either, huh?)

Carole, whose family had to drop the "O" from Conner (O'Connor) to get soup and a job in America.

Carole
01-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Just LOOK how my boys defiled my desktop. Where'd the pretty countryside go?

poetinahat
01-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Go to Australia Carole - Rob says it's plenty warm there!

Warning -- you may never leave!

I'm still living the illusion that I've discovered the place! And it's been mild and rainy ever since then -- ahhhh. Just a break from the beach weather, enough to keep the South Africans from winning the New Year's cricket Test; that's all!

If you go to Branson, will you send us all a postcard?

poetinahat
01-06-2006, 05:34 AM
He's American! That makes him American! Stop trying to steal Irishness where there is none to be had!
Hey -- nobody's stealing anything. This is just the way Americans describe themselves. It's how we describe our heritage, given that we're a melting pot country. Other than First Nation people, we all came to America from somewhere else.

A Pommie once got haughty with me about the same thing -- why do some of you UK folks find it so objectionable that Americans like to acknowledge their ancestry? And why is it of any concern to you? It's nothing stolen; on the contrary, it's a compliment.

Why is it that nationalism is the source of so much hatred?

I'm 100% American. When I get my dual citizenship, I'll be 100% Australian as well. But my background is half Irish, a quarter Swedish, and the rest English, German etc.
My wife (born in Australia) is 100% Australian; background is 100% Manx. She understands.

What in Heaven's name is wrong with looking at it this way?

JAlpha
01-06-2006, 05:38 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gif So no one in the US has any claim to any heritage, besides American, regardless of where the bulk of their family history lies?

I feel your pain Carole http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gifI'm planning a trip to Ireland next spring to meet up with long lost relatives. My maiden name is Daley--both my grandparents on my father's side were born in Ireland. My mother's side of the family is Greek.My grandfather was an olive farmer in Greece--came to America at the age of 21.

I'm crushed to think I've been stealing my heritage http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gif Crushed I tell ya, http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/e2thud.gif

JAlpha
01-06-2006, 05:59 AM
He's American! That makes him American!

Are you using the word "American" to mean... of or relating to America. Or have you reduced the word to an insult?

poetinahat
01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Gee, Carole... isn't it good to feel loved? Looks like you're going to have a storybook tour!

What a testament to you.

aruna
01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Why is it that nationalism is the source of so much hatred?
?

I think Peaches had her tongue in her cheek, but I agree with you...
on the one hand I believe that it's right and normal to be aware of and honour your ancestry, on the other hand, if we identify too strongly with it we put on blinkers and everyone else becomes an "other" - that's how prejudices and national enmities become such a problem in the world.

tiny
01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Ancestry is interesting. Within the last few years I found out I'm part Osage Indian. Blonde, green eyes, American Indian. Freaky. Sorry, I'm butting in all over the place.

Carole
01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Warning -- you may never leave!

That's what hubby said. He had to be pried out with a crowbar. His sickly fake accent didn't help much either, I guess. ~laughing~

Seriously..he says Australia is paradise.

Carole
01-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I do have to say, I haven't been sure or not about whether Scarlet was serious. If so, that just sheds a whole new light on a lot of things. I have never had that reaction to acknowledging my Irish heritage. Should I pretend that I am descended from some unidentified white people who spontaneously sprouted up on this gigantic plot of land? Would that make those who still live where my great great grand-people lived, and some of the people with whom I share a bloodline still live, feel more comfortable?

I take it back. I can't be American, because I don't have First Nation blood in me. I can't be Irish because it pisses off people who live in the UK. I guess I'll just go and invent something else to be. Would that be safe enough?

I'll talk to Daddy about dropping his surname, too. Can't have an Irish surname if you aren't Irish. That would just be silly. (Since when is Feeney more Irish than O'Connor?)

JennaGlatzer
01-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Scarlet, come back and tell these nice people that you were kidding. ;)