PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Open Thread

AW Admin
05-13-2012, 12:57 AM
This is an open thread for general conversation and discussion about this sub-forum and related topics.

CaoPaux
05-13-2012, 02:52 AM
First! :D

For those who mightn't know, one can sort by thread title (and thus group all the topics) by either clicking "Thread" at the top of the column, or by dropping down to the Sorted By box on the bottom left of the page and selecting Thread Title (be sure to click Show Threads button after. Yes, I've twiddled my thumbs waiting for it to change on its own ...).

Debbie V
05-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Isn't Random House owned by Bertelsmann? It's not mentioned in the Big Six description.

AW Admin
05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Yep; thanks for catching that.

Susan Littlefield
06-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Wow, thank you for creating this room.

rejectME
06-14-2012, 09:11 AM
This may be obvious to many people, but I'm curious, so when is a copy of a book actually considered sold? Is it when the publisher or distributor sells books to a store or when the store sells the book to a customer? And if it's the latter, how are those figures tallied, if at all?
Thanks!
JL

CaoPaux
06-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Books are stocked on credit, so it's when the book is sold to the customer. All stores keep sales records, but whether they participate in the various sales-tracking networks to share the data is up to them.

nelehjr
05-26-2013, 02:48 AM
:nothing

Trebor1415
12-21-2013, 04:46 AM
I'm specifically looking for info on how to create an e-book that is mainly text, but with some photos.

As I search I find plenty of resources for text only e-books, and some info on how to make a "photo e-book," but I'm coming up short on what I need.

My e-book will be a collection of articles I wrote for the web and each article has at least one photo and sometimes up to eight or ten photos.

Any links to resources or tips on where to look are appreciated.

Old Hack
12-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Trebor, you were given several links in this thread you started a few months ago (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273428); and you might find it useful to spend some time in our self-publishing room, where there are several discussions about this.

Trebor1415
12-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Trebor, you were given several links in this thread you started a few months ago (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2734287); and you might find it useful to spend some time in our self-publishing room, where there are several discussions about this.

My bad, thanks. I'd actually forgotten about that post. I'll go through those links again.

Troyen
01-14-2017, 09:28 PM
I am interested in finding out about small presses and it seems like a daunting process. I see Editors and Predators is no longer up and running. Is there any other resource for finding reputable small presses?

Lauram6123
01-14-2017, 09:34 PM
I am interested in finding out about small presses and it seems like a daunting process. I see Editors and Predators is no longer up and running. Is there any other resource for finding reputable small presses?

Querytracker is a good place to start. I'd whittle down presses that look like they might be a good fit and then come back here and check out them out on AW's Bewares, Recommendations and Background checks forum.

Troyen
01-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Thank you, Lauram6123, I will look into that.

AW Admin
01-20-2017, 01:39 AM

Find books you like of the sort you're interested in having published that were published by small presses.

Then research those presses.

Also be sure what you mean by small; do you mean employees? Books produced per year? Sales per year? Or an independent press?

Tuesday Addams
12-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Hey all! :) This is my first "proper" post on the site so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I was wanting to ask, does the author keep the rights to make reprints/derivative works when they sell a short story to a magazine or journal? I have a book idea, a small subplot of which I think would make a good short story. If I managed to have this short story printed in a magazine, would writing the book using the same setting (and some of the same characters) then be considered plagiarism?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

Old Hack
12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Sorry, Tuesday, we can't give you a definitive answer to your question. The answer is, it depends on the terms you agree to when you sell them the rights to the story. Most magazines take only first publication rights, but some take all rights in perpetuity (and if you're asked to sign these away, I suggest you reject their offer of publication). You have to check the contract carefully before you agree to it.