Kirkus Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
From time to time I see "Kirkus Reviews" mentioned, but I never gave it much thought. Now I see that it's a vanity critique service. Pay them $425 and they review your book.
Have any of you ever bought this "service?"

Another way to get our money?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Kirkus has been a book review magazine since the beginning of time. (Or 1933, according to the Internet.)

Only recently have they implemented a pay-per-review feature. They review most books with review copies submitted by houses they've had long-standing relationships with.

Kirkus used to be so negative they nearly grumped themselves out of relevance. It was a miracle if they said anything nice about your book. Within the last few years, they've turned a bit friendlier.

An uncommissioned Kirkus review is still a benchmark for many authors and readers.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There are two branches to Kirkus (and there was a quite a kerfuffle when they opened up the pay-to-play branch a few years back).

One branch does regular reviews, for free. Real publishers send them ARCs. Libraries and bookstores subscribe to their magazine. A good Kirkus review is worth a lot of extra sales. They've been in business for a long time and have a good reputation.

The other, more recent, branch is a pay-to-play vanity review "service." Authors pay a fee to get a "review." These reviews aren't sent anywhere, they aren't part of the magazine that's sent to libraries and bookstores; they're posted in a separate part of Kirkus's web site and that's the end of it.

Those for-pay "reviews" are a waste of time and money, and are a blot on Kirkus's formerly stellar reputation.

Lineykins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi James,

Is there a way to tell between the two type of reviews?

My publisher (here in Australia) recently forwarded me a Kirkus review of the US edition of a picture-book that I wrote (published by a small but quality US publisher).

I was quite pleased with the review at the time, but now I'm wondering... The date on the Kirkus review is the same date as the book's US release, so I guess that means they had an advance copy.

So how can you tell which is a "good" review versus one that has been paid for? Thanks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But you have to browse the Children's list (left sidebar on that page) and scroll down to your release date, because if you simply plug in the title or your name in the search bar, it'll search the entire site.

Crap. No, those lists show them all, too. Nevermind.

There's no Children's category under 'Indie' in that sidebar. Maybe they don't do kid's books for a fee?

Lineykins

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks James and Perks.

I went exploring the Kirkus website and discovered there is an index of the books that are reviewed in each magazine.

Mine was in one of the magazines so phew :)

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Kirkus Review is a trade publication for use by booksellers and librarians deciding which books to stock, and by mainstream publications deciding which books to review. Kirkus uses an army of anonymous freelance reviewers to review over 7000 trade-published books per year, and its subscribers pay to get those reviews because they are useful.

The trouble is, bookstores are closing, libraries are downsizing and mainstream publications are relying more on wire content and producing less original book coverage. So the subscription base for Kirkus and the other trade publications, Publishers Weekly, Booklist and Library Journal, is shrinking.

In 2010, Kirkus almost shut down. It was owned at that time by the Neilsen company, and it was losing money and subscribers. It was bought at the last minute by the owner of the Indiana Pacers. Since then, its subscription cost has been slashed considerably, and its started looking for revenue elsewhere, including from advertising, from licensing reviews out to online booksellers for republication on product listings, and, most controversially, the paid reviews of self-published books.

What Kirkus offers self-published authors is this: For a fairly substantial fee, they'll send the self-published book to an independent freelance reviewer, who will send back a 400 word capsule review. This review will not be published in Kirkus, but the author can use it and label it as a Kirkus review in his promotional materials and on his Amazon listing. I think Kirkus may publish these reviews on some segregated part of its website.

Since the whole point of the thing is an independent editorial review, the review isn't guaranteed to be positive, but if it's a bad review, the author can keep it from appearing anywhere (though Kirkus keeps the money). Kirkus brands itself as "the world's toughest book critics."

I haven't heard anyone in publishing suggest that this side business compromises the reliability or usefulness of Kirkus's reviews of trade books. And self-published authors won't get a respectable, professional review any other way. Booksellers and librarians don't stock those books, so they won't pay for a biweekly review of them. Readers don't care, either, about the vast majority of these books. And if self-publishers feel that there's a lack of respect implied by the fact that they have to pay lots of money for stuff published authors get for free, I don't disagree with them.

Freelance reviewers write for the trades for very little money; they do it in part to get free advance books, and in part to make industry connections. They don't want to read self-published books, and they don't want to write reviews that won't be printed. I think Kirkus pays them more for reviewing self-pub books than they do for reviewing trade books.

Publishers Weekly, which is the largest of the trades and in many ways an industry bible, also sells coverage to self-published authors. It has an "independent" supplement every quarter, and self-publsihed authors can pay $175 for a "listing" which is not a review. Then the editors pick out some books from among the listed titles and review them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, and I understand trading on your image to sell not very much for quite a lot to people who may not know the difference between what they get and a 'real' Kirkus review, economically speaking. Ethically speaking... that's a different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.