Low-grade publishers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicroBalrog

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been looking for online publishers.

I've even contacted Trestle Press (they say they'll get back to me on Wednesday).

But I see now, from reading this forum, that Trestle Press isn't actually all that good.

So ladies and gentlemen -what's a decent online publisher, or alternatively a low-grade 'traditional' publisher that deals with action-adventure and sci-fi pulp? I do not mean something huge like Baen, but 'lie down on the floor' low-grade publishers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you want a terrible publisher, you've already found one. Perhaps you could be clearer about what you mean. A publisher that is more likely to accept your work? One with a quick response time? Because I am not sure why you would aim for low quality per se.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not sure, either. Look to respected small presses, if you don't mind low sales in exchange for personal attention and fairly-high quality. This means research in your part. Since we don't know your story or your career goals, it's impossible to aim you toward particular presses.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to 'aim low'. If you want a dedicated level of service that the Big Six usually doesn't provide unagented writers, I understand. But if you're worried your writing is only good enough for a lesser publisher, that's not helping you in the long run. Publishing 'low' or with the wrong publisher can not only remove that mms from play *forever*, it can ruin whatever author name you use.

Improve your writing, if the latter issue worries you. Research publishers, and approach this adventure with some forewarning.

MicroBalrog

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to write the sort of adventure/action pulp that Gold Eagle did in the 1980's or 1990s. Something like this, for example.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly? I'd recommend just putting in the time and trying to get an agent. If you want a "low-grade" publisher or basically one that will just accept your work at face value, you can self-publish.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So ladies and gentlemen -what's a decent online publisher, or alternatively a low-grade 'traditional' publisher that deals with action-adventure and sci-fi pulp? I do not mean something huge like Baen, but 'lie down on the floor' low-grade publishers.

I'm kind of confused by this. You're deliberately looking for a crap publisher?

This goes against everything I've ever learned, which is aim high then work your way down. If you start at the bottom, you stay at the bottom and will never know if someone better would have wanted it.

If you're writing "adventure/action pulp" there's still no reason not to start at the top of the food chain and work down.

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look for an agent instead. Some agents will respond in as little as a month or sometimes as little as 2 or 3.

I know I've been turned off by some of the sub guidelines, especially the ones at Baen. Their website says that they don't want to look at anything under 100,000 words (but the genius exception is used, so send it in if it's shorter, but awesome). Then it can take 12-18 months to just get a response. Look, I'd love to be published by Baen, or Tor, or any of the big ones, but waiting 12-18 months for a resonse is depressing.

That's why I'm focusing on an agent. I figure, once I get picked up, I'll just focus on writing other things and not worry about the ms until my agent shoots me an e-mail saying we've sold it.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking the OP means a smaller less well known press which takes work of the sort that used to be considered pulp, not actually literature, lower grade work.

First, if it's good, it is literature. It may be more commercial literature, but that's a marketing thing.

Second, any press worth working with may have the same issues as the larger ones: Long waits and a full list. They may require a marketing plan and survey of the competition. They may receive fewer submissions annually, but they often publish fewer books. You can always sub to a bunch to make the long wait easier.

If you're writing novels, an agent is the thing.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Plus, the money and publishing credits are often better. Even if you sub and get rejected,
if you do it enough times with steadily-better projects, you build a rapport with the editors.
Many times, they'll end up taking your later pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.