PDA

View Full Version : New Dark Shadows Movie

Susan Littlefield
05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm a Dark Shadows fan from way back when. I hate the DS movie made sometime in the 80's where everybody and their vampire was dead by the end. But, what about the new one...anybody here going to see it? I have mixed feelings.

veinglory
05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Nope. I would only be interested in a DS movie if it was played straight.

Mr Flibble
05-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Seeing as I had never heard of Dark Shadows before I saw the trailer, so I have no expectations in that regard - and the trailer looks kinda fun - I expect I'll go and see it.

Was kind of funny - my son saw the first few seconds of the trailer over my shoulder and said, 'New Tim Burton, huh?' Got to say, you can tell his films are his!

BarbaraSheridan
05-12-2012, 04:36 AM
The consensus at the Blog of Dark Shadows--most fans of the original say it's Dark Shadows in name only.

@Susan I actually watched House of Dark Shadows last night. There are flaws, yes, but it had its moments that took me back and made me remember why I loved the show as a kid.

Susan Littlefield
05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I think Johnny Depp is a wonderful actor, and probably perfect to play the part of Barnabas Collins. However, I have a thing about remakes of old series and movies. They are never as good as the original.

I grew up on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but I haven't watched the Depp remake. Mission Impossible drove me crazy, because any true MI fan knows Jim Phelps would never betray his team (as he did in the first MI movie).

I might see it, just not sure yet.

Susan Littlefield
05-12-2012, 09:39 AM
I actually watched House of Dark Shadows last night. There are flaws, yes, but it had its moments that took me back and made me remember why I loved the show as a kid.

Yep, that's the remake I'm talking about that did nothing for me.

dclary
05-12-2012, 09:43 AM
So sick and tired of Burton and Depp. Both seem very tired and by the numbers, which is amazing, given how bizarre their directing, vision, and acting skills respectively are. They've become very formulaic. Caricatures of themselves, as it were.

Celia Cyanide
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Yep, that's the remake I'm talking about that did nothing for me.

House Of Dark Shadows was made in 1970. Did you mean this remake?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099363/

I really didn't care for that one. But I liked both the DS movies that had the original cast.

Adam
05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
It looks fun, so I'll probably give it a look when it hits DVD/Netflix.

(I've never seen the original show and have no intention of doing so.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM

I really didn't care for that one. But I liked both the DS movies that had the original cast.I actually enjoyed parts of the revamped soap from 1991. It was rushed in terms of narrative--the "cure" for instance, came out of nowhere. Lysette Anthony was great I thought; Barbara Steele tried very very hard to outdo Grayson Hall in devouring any bit of scenery within her grasp...

"House" and "Night" ("of DS") were both much older movies featuring the cast of the original soap. They more than stand up to their peers ("Burnt Offerings", "Demon Seed", etc.)

Celia Cyanide
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I think Twilight has ruined vampires, at least for a while, and any chance we would have had of a "straight" adaptation of DS is ruined.

defcon6000
05-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Saw this today. It was all right, better than most comedic movies out there. But I found the love story rather weak. He spends maybe five minutes of screen time with his "true love," then the rest of the time is spent with the witch. Once Depp arrives on screen, the other characters are shoved to the side. It would have been nice to see some character arcs, like the little boy dealing with his mother's death/lousy father or *spoiler* the daughter being a werewolf. They just threw that in there at the last minute. *spoiler*

I also smell a sequel...sadly.

gothicangel
05-13-2012, 07:08 PM
It's received mixed reviews in the UK, but I'm not one to let critics to tell me what good and what isn't. :)

Didn't realise it was a remake. I saw the trailer at the cinema, and I agree with Idiots. It looks fun, and suitably Gothic to suit my tastes.

I'm going to see it on Friday.

Rhoda Nightingale
05-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Saw it this weekend, thought it was fun. Had a lot more actual deaths-by-vampire than I was expecting, considering the whimsical tone overall. That threw me a bit. Otherwise--corny and absurd, but in a good way.

However, I agree that Depp and Burton need some time away from each other perhaps.

DancingMaenid
05-14-2012, 06:30 AM
So sick and tired of Burton and Depp. Both seem very tired and by the numbers, which is amazing, given how bizarre their directing, vision, and acting skills respectively are. They've become very formulaic. Caricatures of themselves, as it were.

I agree with this. I think they did some good stuff together early on -- I'm not a huge fan of Edward Scissorhands, though I like it okay, but I love Ed Wood.

These days, it feels like they're phoning it in and sticking with a very similar formula.

I've never seen much of Dark Shadows, but even so, I would have liked to see a movie that played it straight, too. I've seen mixed reviews of the movie. My mom wants to see it, I think, so I might end up watching it with her.

shakeysix
05-14-2012, 07:42 AM
back in high school i was a huge dark shadows fan. i lived through some classic tv but this is the only show that i made it a point to never miss.

people take it too seriously. the appeal of the show was the characters and the actors who played them. everything else sucked-from the flimsy scenery, terrible lighting to the screwy plot inconsistencies and godawful special effects.

it started with a prim, shy governess hired to tutor a couple of kids in a spooky old mansion. scant weeks into the show the kids vanished. no explanation. no one ever mentioned them. that got my attention.

then there was the collins family matriarch-- joan bennett. from the first episode i was fascinated. she seemed like a black and white page out of one of my mom's old hollywood scrapbooks. even as an older woman she was beautiful and poised, like she was in on some sad, irreversible secret.

my mother told me that her career had been ruined back in the forties because one man shot another over her. i was hooked after that.

then there was barnabas--the guy was not only scary, he was scared stiff, constantly twitching and looking over his shoulder. years later i read an interview with jonathon frid in which he admitted that he had been plagued with stage fright the entire show.

dr. hoffman, grayson hall made such an impression on me that i was determined to name my first daughter grayson. she wasn't as pretty as eliizabeth or victoria but she was the strongest woman i'd ever seen on tv. who else could crack a coffin, catch barnabas having a siesta and not freaking scream?

finally there was jerry lacy as the reverend trask. talk about a crush, i had a giant one on him. the guy had something. whether he was playing humphrey bogart or some lunatic witch burning puritan minister, he was sexy.

like i said, the whole thing sucked but i had to tune in daily to see what my favorite characters had to handle today. it was great fun and i plan to see the re-make with my grand daughters--s6

Celia Cyanide
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
people take it too seriously. the appeal of the show was the characters and the actors who played them. everything else sucked-from the flimsy scenery, terrible lighting to the screwy plot inconsistencies and godawful special effects.

Thank you. My feelings exactly.

then there was the collins family matriarch-- joan bennett. from the first episode i was fascinated. she seemed like a black and white page out of one of my mom's old hollywood scrapbooks. even as an older woman she was beautiful and poised, like she was in on some sad, irreversible secret.

my mother told me that her career (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7274042#) had been ruined back in the forties because one man shot another over her. i was hooked after that.

I love Joan Bennett. She was in Suspiria. I didn't know that about her.

defcon6000
05-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I've never seen much of Dark Shadows, but even so, I would have liked to see a movie that played it straight, too.
I don't think it's possible to "play it straight" considering that the original's production was pretty cheesy. There's a reason why networks stick soap operas in the early hour slots when hardly anyone is at home, because they're just not very good. So I'm fine that the movie made a bit of a spoof of the show, all for fun. What I was disappointed about was the weakness of the storyline and how the other characters didn't get as much screen time as Depp and Eva Green's bosom.

I wonder, how much better would the story have gone if they'd stuck with Victoria's PoV? The mysterious girl who's caught up in some past romantic rivalry that she has no clue about. Oh, and if they made Victoria not-another-Bella, that would've been great.

Celia Cyanide
05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't think it's possible to "play it straight" considering that the original's production was pretty cheesy.

I would also add that most of the time, when they try to do human vampires with souls and consciences, it doesn't work and comes off cheesy. The only example I can think of that did work was Angel on Buffy. And even that show was funny a lot of the time.

The reason why DS worked in my opinion was because it was like a serialized version of a cheesy low budget movie that happens to have a cool story, and actors who are maybe not Oscar worthy, but compelling and interesting. It was the perfect balance of those two things that made it fun, and still made you want to know what happened next. Sometimes, stuff like that can benefit from big budgeted remake played more seriously. The obvious example is Star Trek. Or for that matter, Batman. But somehow, I don't think this is one of them.

Susan Littlefield
05-15-2012, 05:46 AM

I really didn't care for that one. But I liked both the DS movies that had the original cast.

I think that is it. My friend loaned me his copy, which I hated because everybody got killed off, including Barnabas Collins. I did not like it all .

Susan Littlefield
05-15-2012, 05:47 AM
I actually enjoyed parts of the revamped soap from 1991. It was rushed in terms of narrative--the "cure" for instance, came out of nowhere. Lysette Anthony was great I thought; Barbara Steele tried very very hard to outdo Grayson Hall in devouring any bit of scenery within her grasp...

"House" and "Night" ("of DS") were both much older movies featuring the cast of the original soap. They more than stand up to their peers ("Burnt Offerings", "Demon Seed", etc.)

This must be the one where the actor who played Barnabas was so adorably sexy, right?

Susan Littlefield
05-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Reading your responses with interest. Don't worry about spoilers, either, because thar rarely governs my decision whether or not to see a movie. Maybe I'll take Don to this movie with me, just to see. :)

Diana Hignutt
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
This must be the one where the actor who played Barnabas was so adorably sexy, right?

Ben Cross.

Celia Cyanide
05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah, he didn't really do it for me, but still, I get that.

MatthewB
05-16-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm a big Tim Burton fan, but it wasn't one of his best. The movie wasn't really funny and random silly stuff just happened so the story could go forward.

CrastersBabies
05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm so reluctant to see this. I'm pretty much over the Depp/Burton (and Elfman) trio. Add in Helena Bonham Carter and it's just . . . . well, old. I hear good and bad things, but I don't know. Maybe I'll listen in a little more before I make up my mind here.

DavidZahir
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM
I liked the film very much.

Being one of those who had to sneak around my grandmother to see episodes it has remained a favorite ever since. There've actually been over a half dozen versions: Original series, two paperback book series, Golden Key comics, the 91 revival, the Innovation Comics based on the 91, the unfinished WB pilot, the Big Finish audio dramas, the off broadway stage play in the 1980s... This was through the quirky lens of Tim Burton's imagination. I liked it.

But must point out it isn't a comedy. Rather, like Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands, it is in many ways a drama with lots of tragedy (Vicky's backstory is really disturbing) offset by humor.

Mostly though I loved how it focused on Barnabas Collins, his efforts to regain the two things he longed for most--his love, and his family.

defcon6000
05-17-2012, 05:06 AM
But must point out it isn't a comedy. Rather, like Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands, it is in many ways a drama with lots of tragedy (Vicky's backstory is really disturbing) offset by humor.
See, I saw it the other way around: it's a comedy that attempts at a bigger, darker story--but fails miserably. The overall mood of the film simply failed to be consistent. You'd have have creepy moments like Vicky encountering ghostsheet in the middle of the night, but then you have stupid moments like the 'balls' scene.

If Burton really wanted to create a fuller film, I think he should've stuck with Vicky's PoV, with her dark past and caught up in a love triangle. Focusing on Barnabas really detracted from the rest of the cast, because we didn't see him interact with his family and Vicky all that much. Most of his time was spent with the witch--which shifts the focus. Like the rolling around "sex" scene, what was the point of that? For the lolz?

blacbird
05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Depp is a terrific actor, although he now seems trapped (in no small part because of Tim Burton's infatuation with him) into surreal weird satiric roles. The trailers for Dark Shadows are funny, funnier certainly than much of Burton's work, including both recent and disappointing Depp efforts, Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But trailers are often deceptions.

And methinks that 98% of the audience for this movie won't have Clue Zero that it's based on a quirky, weird and engagingly off-beat TV soap opera from the 1960s that wasn't funny at all, even if maybe a trifle campy. Then again, most current movie viewers don't have Clue Zero what the adjective "campy" means.

I might see it.

If pro wrasslin' ain't on that night.

caw

Diana Hignutt
05-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Depp is a terrific actor, although he now seems trapped (in no small part because of Tim Burton's infatuation with him) into surreal weird satiric roles. The trailers for Dark Shadows are funny, funnier certainly than much of Burton's work, including both recent and disappointing Depp efforts, Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But trailers are often deceptions.

And methinks that 98% of the audience for this movie won't have Clue Zero that it's based on a quirky, weird and engagingly off-beat TV soap opera from the 1960s that wasn't funny at all, even if maybe a trifle campy. Then again, most current movie viewers don't have Clue Zero what the adjective "campy" means.

I might see it.

If pro wrasslin' ain't on that night.

caw

I had grown tired of Burton, but I did like both Alice and Charlie. My love for the original Dark Shadows, which I would watch at the neighbors' house because my mom didn't let me watch it, and then when it ran in syndication in the 80's and early 90's rekindling my love of the show now tied forever in my mind with my innocence and the early 70's, will probably propel me to the theatre, but I might wait for DVD. Still up in the air. For me there will only be one Barnabas Collins...the one and only Johnatan Frid (I even have an autographed Frid pic).

Celia Cyanide
05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
And methinks that 98% of the audience for this movie won't have Clue Zero that it's based on a quirky, weird and engagingly off-beat TV soap opera from the 1960s that wasn't funny at all, even if maybe a trifle campy.

Naw, I think most of them know about it. Everyone I talk to knows that it's based on a series, even if they haven't seen it.

Susan Littlefield
05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
I had grown tired of Burton, but I did like both Alice and Charlie. My love for the original Dark Shadows, which I would watch at the neighbors' house because my mom didn't let me watch it, and then when it ran in syndication in the 80's and early 90's rekindling my love of the show now tied forever in my mind with my innocence and the early 70's, will probably propel me to the theatre, but I might wait for DVD. Still up in the air. For me there will only be one Barnabas Collins...the one and only Johnatan Frid (I even have an autographed Frid pic).

Mom used to let me watch the last twenty or minutes or so when I got home from school and full episodes during the summer. I recall coming hom ready to watch Dark Shadows, but the TV was off. I asked her why were weren't watching it, and she said because it had gone off the air. Saddest day of my life. :(

I bet that autographed picture of Jonathan Frid is a treasure.

Susan Littlefield
05-20-2012, 09:32 AM

caw

I think you are right that some people won't know, especially those under at least thirty, but 98% seems a bit high. Remember, much of the younger generation has parents and grandparents that talk about that wonderful, weird, and quirky old soap opera.

J.S.F.
05-21-2012, 07:40 AM
I'll start by saying my wife--who is a huge Johnny Depp fan--disliked this movie intensely. When the original DS came out forty-something years ago, I was only eight and didn't know about soap operas. However, looking at it later on I could see a very offbeat version of a soap, low-budget, yes, but still interesting enough to generate some buzz so okay, the original had its following and that's fine.

THIS version showed very little wit or humor outside of Depp's engaging version of BC. Whoever said he's worked too often with Burton or that Burton has an infatuation with him (or whatever) happens to be right, and Burton's former quirkiness has given way to tiresome, drawn-out schtick. I couldn't decide whether this movie was supposed to be a comedy, a drama, or a parody. To me, it had elements of all of those archetypes and succeeded with none of them.

I could see the HB Carter 'happening' a mile away and unless I missed something in the dialogue--or fell asleep--then how did Chloe Moretz suddenly become a werewolf and was it hinted at in the flick? I know this 'review' sounds harsh but I've had it with Tim Burton. I liked his earlier works and they were lively and engaging if not deeply weird but in a good way. This Dark Shadows should remain in the shadows and never see the light of day.

DavidZahir
05-24-2012, 04:55 AM
I'd say everything about Carolyn was hinted in her performance and then soon after "the big reveal" it was explained explicitly.

J.S.F.
05-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I'd say everything about Carolyn was hinted in her performance and then soon after "the big reveal" it was explained explicitly.
---

Then I must have been sleeping....

:D