Beethoven, Chopin and co: any experts here?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I need suggestions as to the pieces this character would choose to play.

She's an Austrian woman in her late 30's, far away from home and homesick; the date is around 1910. She has also lost a much-wanted baby: still-born. She hides her grief by playing the piano all the time.
So I need passionate, melancholy, very emotional music. If you make suggestions I'll listen to them on Youtube and make my choice; in the end I'll only need to name two or three. Thanks for any help!

And while we're at it: maybe some suggestions for her fifteen year old daughter, who plays violin? Nothing too difficult, and certainly nothing sad.

I have some stuff in the back of my head but I can never remember the composer or the name of the music.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (first movement).

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I couldn't listen to the first ans last as they are not allowed on Youtube in Germany. As for the middle one: I do like it but how old is it? It would have to be music that was well known early 1910 -- and also, I think this woman, being Austrian, would stick to classical.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Chopin's Sonata No. 2 has the well-known funeral march in it. Also the Chopin nocturnes are all very melancholy and all good listening.

Beethoven's Sonata 32 in C Minor 2nd movement is sublime and might be a good piece to bring her some peace. Give it a listen anyway if you're enjoying classical.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't listen to the first ans last as they are not allowed on Youtube in Germany. As for the middle one: I do like it but how old is it? It would have to be music that was well known early 1910 -- and also, I think this woman, being Austrian, would stick to classical.

So this is for "period" appropriate works. I would guess that you're naming these (which is legal) in the writing.

I was confused on why you needed the music. Many people will listen to certain music to take in the mood, to describe the music played and so on.

Why isn't available in germany? That's odd.

It's too early for Holst's The Planets, that sucks. That's my favorite classical work.

I could name a dozen composers from that time period, but let's stick to this:

Piano Sonatas

Tchaikovsky, the Seasons

Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody

In all honestly, in the past musical instruments were meant to bring people together. You can use this as her sorrow, but it's been far too over played in the moving picture shows.

Most classical music is on a lighter side.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Well, if she is knowledgeable about arts, at around 1910 Erik Satie was at the peak of his fame and influence, and he had started to influence the new musicians of Paris, like Jean Cocteau.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFVGwGQcB0 - Les Gnossienne no. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbT9DeULzU4 - Valse triste

It depends on your character, of course. Paris, being the artistic center of the world at the time, would influence a lot of other capitals like Vienna and London. An artistic person would know of Satie. Of course, since he was a contemporary with her, care has to be taken to choose pieces from before 1910. Well, you know that.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Why isn't available in germany? That's odd.

This: Unfortunately, this video is not available in Germany, because it may contain music for which GEMA has not granted the respective music rights.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I have to go now but will listen in later today.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Chopin, Les Sylphides. My mother loved it and my brother played it for her often. To me it is sad and poignant.

Beethoven, Fur Elise. (sorry about the missing umlaut).

Depending on the religion of your characters, another possibility is A Mighty Fortress is Our God which to me has the pathos of the Reformation and Germany wrapped up in it.

And, the German and Austrian national anthems - both the same tune (Deutschland uber Alles; Franz dem Kaiser (don't know the actual name)). Puma

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
This deceptively simple Chopin prelude gets to me every time I hear/play it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOWPKHrb6c

and the e minor is good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-4Bv5Ng0w

(I think he wrote that one in Majorca when the TB was pretty bad. Makes me think of a sad, tired, rainy day.)

My favorite Beethoven sonata (and also the hardest thing I ever learned to play through) is the Pathetique, and I think the first movement would work (though there's a sort of hopefulness under the sadness for awhile, and then an energy that's close to anger) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gzdskOGu4

You might also look through Rachmaninov's work, concertos, preludes. He was almost hyper-romantic, so the emotions can be very overstated in his work.

a more obscure romantic era composer I like a lot was Samuel-Coleridge Taylor (not to be confused with), probably obscure because he was black, for I find his music terrific. Like try this duet for violin and piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKj_hAvTddY

Also, someone I'm fond of is Frederic Nietzsche, who wasn't great but was interesting (and yes, same guy). youtube, nietzsche piano will get you a selection. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eVyQUzvy5c

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Art songs perhaps? Tchaikovsky's None But the Lonely Heart. Or some Schubert.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
You might also check out the Dryden Ensemble. They play Baroque period music, Beethoven, Bach, etc. I'm pretty sure they have a website (they're in New Jersey). You might be able to ask them questions.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Or, religious again, but what about Ave Maria?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Great stuff, folks! Thanks! I haven't had time to listen to anything yet but I'll get down to that today and make a few choices.

Beethoven, Fur Elise. (sorry about the missing umlaut).
Puma

You can always replace the Umlaut with an e: fuer Elise!

Or, religious again, but what about Ave Maria?

Yes; she's Christian. WHich reminds me of all those beautiful Bach arias.