How to Keep Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had terrible circumstances like some of the commenters on the blog but I was depressed. I had to focus on work and family because that was all the energy I had. Somedays not even that. I had done the things he advised even though I didn't see it that way. Now, I have written twice in three days and loved it. There is nothing like it. I'm just glad there are people out there who can give advice like this from experience.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think Nathan talks about the sweet balance of taking care of yourself and finding the time to write. The way I see it, I can take a sick day now and then but I still have to go to the office on a regular basis. Well, it's the same with writing if I ever want to get anything written.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Great post!

I've been through a rough year writing-wise; this past summer I was pregnant and lost the baby, and then less than a month later, my best friend committed suicide. I tend to feel terrible about how little I've written and how bad some of that writing seems to be since (though I'm on the upswing now, I think).

That post was a good reminder to be gentle on myself and to appreciate that I have managed to push forward and make progress with my writing, even though it wasn't the year I wanted. In any respect. Sometimes life just happens and while we have to keep working no matter how hard it is, we're not wordsmithing robots, either.

Darkwing

Thank you for linking to this! I'm in my second year of grad school, and have been finding it hard to write recently--it's been six months since I did anything other than sub a story that came back on rejection. I've been having a lot of trouble with this: mountains of guilt, etc . . . so much so that I'm actually writing about it all for the creative nonfiction class I'm taking.

It's immensely helpful to find someone who says it's okay to address the things like life and work that are getting in the way, it's okay to give myself time off while I power through all this other garbage. I know the general writing advice is something along the lines of "well you can get up earlier, like I did when I wrote two novels and had three kids in the house and had a full time job" or "if you don't write every day, you really don't have it in you to be a writer." That stuff just makes me feel terrible

Whatever I can do right now to keep my writing going, I will do. And I suppose that will be enough. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.