Customer Service Shot to Hell

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I did some online clothing shopping a while back. Two items did not come, but I was charged for them. I called customer service today and at first I don't think the rep thought I was being truthful. Between the jigs and the reels I am getting a refund for the missing items that I was CHARGED for. :Soapbox:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Customer service?

*Laughs hysterically* :roll:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You were probably talking to "Ralph" in Mumbai.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
The call center is based in Quebec.:)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Customer service is atrocious almost everywhere these days.

Well in that case, it was "Peggy"

Those commercials are hilarious. We had a problem with our CC the other day and hubby said "Quick, call Peggy!" :D

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
It's almost as bad as going through the drive thru at KFC and having to wait for ten minutes for the girl to take our order because she was inside the window chatting and picking her nose.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably that I spend so much time buying from places linked to from AW, but I have found that every time I have had a problem with anything it gets sorted amazingly fast. I happened over to Femdomcave because an AWer had their book listed there, and tried getting a PDF. It didn't download, but within minutes I got an email with the file attached. Customer service is excellent all over the place, it is merely that the giant international companies skew the overall opinion to one which is negative.

Just one of the reasons I support small companies over the monolithic ones.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I don't know. That nice man from Microsoft who called the other day to warn me about the error messages they were getting was most helpful.

That aside, based on general attitudes, I have come to believe that customers exist to service employees.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I don't know. That nice man from Microsoft who called the other day to warn me about the error messages they were getting was most helpful.

That aside, based on general attitudes, I have come to believe that customers exist to service employees.

Urm not sure if you're sarcastic or not but you do know that's a scam right to get access to your computer? Microsoft don't call their customers.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
fireluxlou, thanks. I did know it was a scam. I spent the call sitting at my kitchen table scrawling a few notes and asking him if dot. com meant dot like period or do I type the word dot?

Derail was unintentional. Please resume regular programming.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
fireluxlou, thanks. I did know it was a scam. I spent the call sitting at my kitchen table scrawling a few notes and asking him if dot. com meant dot like period or do I type the word dot?

Derail was unintentional. Please resume regular programming.

Ah Right I've had them ring before, needless to say I fell for it :/ but stopped when they asked for the numbers its like my brain switched. I don't know why I fell for it. I never fall for those things and knew Microsoft don't call.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score

GAWD!!! Had that the other day!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah... customer service. Gotta love calling Government department "Customer Service Reps". That last is "Reprehensibles"! :tongue

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hungarian waiters take the cake :D I can usually get them to like me fine, actually, after using the same maneuvers you use on French ticket agents, so our drive-thru people do probably get first place.

Wait. I've got it. SS Disability customer service/agents have to be the rudest, worst folks I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I think they are paid extra if they give the wrong info with the proper scorn and derision.

eta: after a brief conference with my dad, we have a winner :ROFL: Czech Republic bathroom pay-for-a-towel ladies! :ROFL: That was a truly frightening experience (someone didn't pay for their towel)!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I always think the rudest have been the Job Centre. Like nothing compares to the scorn and dehumanising they do when you're out of work. I went there once and the person who was assessing me was so nasty about me being out of work (the recession had just hit and jobs had dried up), I never went back again.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I always think the rudest have been the Job Centre. Like nothing compares to the scorn and dehumanising they do when you're out of work. I went there once and the person who was assessing me was so nasty about me being out of work (the recession had just hit and jobs had dried up), I never went back again.

That's just sad. It's bad enough being out of work. No one needs that added crap.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I used to be in Customer Service. We're not always awful. At least while we're on the phone with you... *g*

Seriously, though, some of the stuff Customer Service and IT has to deal with on a regular basis is horrifying. Those jobs can be totally soul-crushing, and I'm glad I only get pulled back into IT every once in a rare while.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. I've got it. SS Disability customer service/agents have to be the rudest, worst folks I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I think they are paid extra if they give the wrong info with the proper scorn and derision.

I can't help but wonder if that one is due to confused policy makers. I have had to take my daughter to the doctor's office to get notes for SSI more than once. The reason? They wanted to know if she still has Down's Syndrome.

:Wha: <--- That's the expression the doctor's have when I explain to them why I'm there.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know. Just once I'd like to tell them, "Nope! She's cured. She woke up the other day and that extra chromosome had fallen off every strand of her DNA. You should have seen the mess it made!"

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Seriously, though, some of the stuff Customer Service and IT has to deal with on a regular basis is horrifying.
Oh hell yes

This does not stop me from making a nuisance of myself when occasion warrants it. A couple of weeks ago, we switched ISP. New provider assured me on phone that transition would be 'seamless'. Took him at his word as the last two time we switched, only without service for 5 minutes, max.

After two hours of being without internet (and my husband works from home and HAS to have it to work) and being told 'Wellll, could be another 12 hours. It IS standard you know...'....(and I happen to know a guy who does swap overs for BT - takes him less than two minutes) I asked to get through to complaints. Poor guy. All he kept saying was 'Sorry, but it's standard'. I then offered to send him an invoice for my husband's lost day of work at his emergency call out rate :evil. THIS IS NOT THE SERVICE YOU SOLD ME! I rang off with the promise to 'call you back when I have decided how very VERY angry I am going to be, and believe me that is DAMNED angry'.

Internet worked 5 minutes later...

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some time back I ordered an item from a catalog and paid by check. The item came, it was fine and as shown, but it was too big. I mailed it back, with the appropriate paperwork, and waited for my refund. A month passed, I called their customer service number and was invited to leave a message. A week passed, no return call. Called again. After about six calls, I got a live person. Explained the situation, apologies, they'll take care of it etc etc. After several more calls to the customer service person (always the same one) and numerous excuses, I finally told her: you have until X date for me to have a check in my hands. The next day I will be filing a written complaint with the Attorney General of the State of New York (where mail went) and the Attorney General of the Province of Ontario (where the home office was). I got my check on X date. It only took five months to get the refund. The amount of money was not the issue, it was the principal of the thing.

MM

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Some time back I ordered an item from a catalog and paid by check. The item came, it was fine and as shown, but it was too big. I mailed it back, with the appropriate paperwork, and waited for my refund. A month passed, I called their customer service number and was invited to leave a message. A week passed, no return call. Called again. After about six calls, I got a live person. Explained the situation, apologies, they'll take care of it etc etc. After several more calls to the customer service person (always the same one) and numerous excuses, I finally told her: you have until X date for me to have a check in my hands. The next day I will be filing a written complaint with the Attorney General of the State of New York (where mail went) and the Attorney General of the Province of Ontario (where the home office was). I got my check on X date. It only took five months to get the refund. The amount of money was not the issue, it was the principal of the thing.

MM

Agreed. It was the same here. The charge wasn't a lot of money, but still, I want what I ordered or a refund.