PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service Shot to Hell

brainstorm77
05-08-2012, 05:59 PM
I did some online clothing shopping a while back. Two items did not come, but I was charged for them. I called customer service today and at first I don't think the rep thought I was being truthful. Between the jigs and the reels I am getting a refund for the missing items that I was CHARGED for. :Soapbox:

Lavern08
05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Customer service?

*Laughs hysterically* :roll:

brainstorm77
05-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Customer service?

Good point!

alleycat
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
You were probably talking to "Ralph" in Mumbai.

brainstorm77
05-08-2012, 06:11 PM
The call center is based in Quebec.:)

Lavern08
05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
The call center is based in Quebec.:)

Well in that case, it was "Peggy"

heyjude
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Customer service is atrocious almost everywhere these days.

Well in that case, it was "Peggy"

Those commercials are hilarious. We had a problem with our CC the other day and hubby said "Quick, call Peggy!" :D

brainstorm77
05-08-2012, 06:24 PM
It's almost as bad as going through the drive thru at KFC and having to wait for ten minutes for the girl to take our order because she was inside the window chatting and picking her nose.

BigWords
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
It's probably that I spend so much time buying from places linked to from AW, but I have found that every time I have had a problem with anything it gets sorted amazingly fast. I happened over to Femdomcave because an AWer had their book listed there, and tried getting a PDF. It didn't download, but within minutes I got an email with the file attached. Customer service is excellent all over the place, it is merely that the giant international companies skew the overall opinion to one which is negative.

Just one of the reasons I support small companies over the monolithic ones.

Leah J. Utas
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Oh I don't know. That nice man from Microsoft who called the other day to warn me about the error messages they were getting was most helpful.

That aside, based on general attitudes, I have come to believe that customers exist to service employees.

fireluxlou
05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh I don't know. That nice man from Microsoft who called the other day to warn me about the error messages they were getting was most helpful.

That aside, based on general attitudes, I have come to believe that customers exist to service employees.

Urm not sure if you're sarcastic or not but you do know that's a scam right to get access to your computer? Microsoft don't call their customers.

Leah J. Utas
05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
fireluxlou, thanks. I did know it was a scam. I spent the call sitting at my kitchen table scrawling a few notes and asking him if dot. com meant dot like period or do I type the word dot?

Derail was unintentional. Please resume regular programming.

fireluxlou
05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
fireluxlou, thanks. I did know it was a scam. I spent the call sitting at my kitchen table scrawling a few notes and asking him if dot. com meant dot like period or do I type the word dot?

Derail was unintentional. Please resume regular programming.

Ah Right I've had them ring before, needless to say I fell for it :/ but stopped when they asked for the numbers its like my brain switched. I don't know why I fell for it. I never fall for those things and knew Microsoft don't call.

brainstorm77
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM

GAWD!!! Had that the other day!

Snitchcat
05-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Ah... customer service. Gotta love calling Government department "Customer Service Reps". That last is "Reprehensibles"! :tongue

backslashbaby
05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Hungarian waiters take the cake :D I can usually get them to like me fine, actually, after using the same maneuvers you use on French ticket agents, so our drive-thru people do probably get first place.

Wait. I've got it. SS Disability customer service/agents have to be the rudest, worst folks I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I think they are paid extra if they give the wrong info with the proper scorn and derision.

eta: after a brief conference with my dad, we have a winner :ROFL: Czech Republic bathroom pay-for-a-towel ladies! :ROFL: That was a truly frightening experience (someone didn't pay for their towel)!

fireluxlou
05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I always think the rudest have been the Job Centre. Like nothing compares to the scorn and dehumanising they do when you're out of work. I went there once and the person who was assessing me was so nasty about me being out of work (the recession had just hit and jobs had dried up), I never went back again.

brainstorm77
05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I always think the rudest have been the Job Centre. Like nothing compares to the scorn and dehumanising they do when you're out of work. I went there once and the person who was assessing me was so nasty about me being out of work (the recession had just hit and jobs had dried up), I never went back again.

That's just sad. It's bad enough being out of work. No one needs that added crap.

Jess Haines
05-08-2012, 11:47 PM
I used to be in Customer Service. We're not always awful. At least while we're on the phone with you... *g*

Seriously, though, some of the stuff Customer Service and IT has to deal with on a regular basis is horrifying. Those jobs can be totally soul-crushing, and I'm glad I only get pulled back into IT every once in a rare while.

kayleamay
05-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Wait. I've got it. SS Disability customer service/agents have to be the rudest, worst folks I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I think they are paid extra if they give the wrong info with the proper scorn and derision.

I can't help but wonder if that one is due to confused policy makers. I have had to take my daughter to the doctor's office to get notes for SSI more than once. The reason? They wanted to know if she still has Down's Syndrome.

:Wha: <--- That's the expression the doctor's have when I explain to them why I'm there.

mirandashell
05-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Seriously? That's ridiculous!

kayleamay
05-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I know. Just once I'd like to tell them, "Nope! She's cured. She woke up the other day and that extra chromosome had fallen off every strand of her DNA. You should have seen the mess it made!"

Mr Flibble
05-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Seriously, though, some of the stuff Customer Service and IT has to deal with on a regular basis is horrifying.
Oh hell yes

This does not stop me from making a nuisance of myself when occasion warrants it. A couple of weeks ago, we switched ISP. New provider assured me on phone that transition would be 'seamless'. Took him at his word as the last two time we switched, only without service for 5 minutes, max.

After two hours of being without internet (and my husband works from home and HAS to have it to work) and being told 'Wellll, could be another 12 hours. It IS standard you know...'....(and I happen to know a guy who does swap overs for BT - takes him less than two minutes) I asked to get through to complaints. Poor guy. All he kept saying was 'Sorry, but it's standard'. I then offered to send him an invoice for my husband's lost day of work at his emergency call out rate :evil. THIS IS NOT THE SERVICE YOU SOLD ME! I rang off with the promise to 'call you back when I have decided how very VERY angry I am going to be, and believe me that is DAMNED angry'.

Internet worked 5 minutes later...

MaryMumsy
05-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Some time back I ordered an item from a catalog and paid by check. The item came, it was fine and as shown, but it was too big. I mailed it back, with the appropriate paperwork, and waited for my refund. A month passed, I called their customer service number and was invited to leave a message. A week passed, no return call. Called again. After about six calls, I got a live person. Explained the situation, apologies, they'll take care of it etc etc. After several more calls to the customer service person (always the same one) and numerous excuses, I finally told her: you have until X date for me to have a check in my hands. The next day I will be filing a written complaint with the Attorney General of the State of New York (where mail went) and the Attorney General of the Province of Ontario (where the home office was). I got my check on X date. It only took five months to get the refund. The amount of money was not the issue, it was the principal of the thing.

MM

brainstorm77
05-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Some time back I ordered an item from a catalog and paid by check. The item came, it was fine and as shown, but it was too big. I mailed it back, with the appropriate paperwork, and waited for my refund. A month passed, I called their customer service number and was invited to leave a message. A week passed, no return call. Called again. After about six calls, I got a live person. Explained the situation, apologies, they'll take care of it etc etc. After several more calls to the customer service person (always the same one) and numerous excuses, I finally told her: you have until X date for me to have a check in my hands. The next day I will be filing a written complaint with the Attorney General of the State of New York (where mail went) and the Attorney General of the Province of Ontario (where the home office was). I got my check on X date. It only took five months to get the refund. The amount of money was not the issue, it was the principal of the thing.

MM

Agreed. It was the same here. The charge wasn't a lot of money, but still, I want what I ordered or a refund.

Silver King
05-09-2012, 05:50 AM
"Customer service" is one of the greatest misnomers ever invented.

They should be honest and call it by its true name: Customer Disservice, which is usually what you can expect from most companies.

Once automated answering became the norm, companies conveniently separated themselves from their customers, layers and layers at a time, until now the options to speak to someone are so varied they'd rather you hang up the phone in frustration instead of jump through hoops to get a live person on the line.

And just when you think you've succeeded in getting someone to listen to your complaint, you'll be greeted with a recorded message that says, All of our customer representatives are busy at this time. Please stay on the line, as your call is important to us...

Has anyone ever heard a bigger line of bullshit in their life? For one thing, there's no such thing as a "customer representative." The person on the phone, if you ever reach one, represents the company, not you. And if your call is so important to them, why are they keeping you on hold indefinitely?

I could go on and on, but that's enough for now...

Lyra Jean
05-09-2012, 06:20 AM
How about the ones that call you, you answer, and then get told to please hold as we have important message for you. *cue music* I hang up.

rhymegirl
05-09-2012, 06:23 AM

I can relate to this. I won't say the guy (who was supposed to be my counselor) was rude or nasty, but he just plain wasn't helpful. And I didn't think he had a very caring or positive attitude about my situation.

I never went back there again.

FalconMage
05-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Different groups have different visions of what customer service is. I hope I don't get in trouble for this illustration, but the recent Trayvon Martin thread that got locked after someone antagonized and got banned. I criticized some of the responses by forum staff there. The immediate response (later tempered) was that the banned person could sue if they so chose.

The decision to post or not post the information in question belongs to the site. That I'm not rehashing. But the attitude, IMO, is poor customer service, regardless of whether the person deserved it or not. It speaks to me (intentionally or not) to an attitude that the owner (since she was directly involved) believes she is doing people a favor just by having this site.

Mac, I'm sure, will disagree. And it *is* subjective sometimes. But that's the point I'm making. Not everyone sees it the same way.

Silver King
05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
...The decision to post or not post the information in question belongs to the site. That I'm not rehashing. But the attitude, IMO, is poor customer service, regardless of whether the person deserved it or not. It speaks to me (intentionally or not) to an attitude that the owner (since she was directly involved) believes she is doing people a favor just by having this site...
Members of AW are not charged a fee to participate on this site, so they are not customers of the board owner or anyone else. Mac is, indeed, "doing people a favor just by having this site," and she can damn well ban anyone she pleases. You may not agree with her decisions, but the least you can do is trust that members are never banned without just cause and often for reasons that aren't fully apparent on the surface.

For future reference, please note that it's bad form to bring up disagreements from threads into other discussions. In this case, you've done so by distorting the meaning of "customer service" to rehash issues from a closed thread that shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. Instead, you'd be better off discussing your views with Mac directly, or simply keeping them to yourself.

FalconMage
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm not intending to accuse anyone of anything, or I would already have brought it up. I was illustrating how different people could see a particular situation in different ways. I stated that I see it one way, and (as you, too, illustrate) others likely do not.

I'm not trying to say that I'm right, or that AW is wrong. Just providing an illustration.

Ari Meermans
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
MacAllister absolutely IS doing us all a favor by having this site. And, since you seem to like illustrations so much, here's one: It is extremely bad form to enter someone else's house and complain about the housekeeping, the food on the table, and who else is or is not invited.

fireluxlou
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm not intending to accuse anyone of anything, or I would already have brought it up. I was illustrating how different people could see a particular situation in different ways. I stated that I see it one way, and (as you, too, illustrate) others likely do not.

I'm not trying to say that I'm right, or that AW is wrong. Just providing an illustration.

You're derailing y'know.

In response to an earlier reply to my post, And yes it is bad customer service but I've never heard of any good customer service from Job Centres.

FalconMage
05-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Since there have been no further responses otherwise...

Members of AW are not charged a fee to participate on this site, so they are not customers of the board owner or anyone else.

I don't get charged a fee at my local library, but I *am* a customer when I'm there. If I provide something, regardless of charging for it, someone who opts to partake of it is a customer. I've looked through ITIL, The Help Desk Institute, and several other technical resources I know of, and nowhere is payment a requirement listed in order to be considered a customer (not as regards customer service expectations).

Mac is, indeed, "doing people a favor just by having this site," and she can damn well ban anyone she pleases.

Ban? I never said *anything* regarding the decision to ban. I even characterized the person in question as unreasonable.

Mac has gained a large share of professional authority as a result of this site. Good for her. The information *is* valuable, and she *did* make it happen. She's earned it. But a good bit of that comes from those you say she's "doing a favor" for. No, it's a two-way transaction.

The Patrick Swayze movie Roadhouse had an analogous scene in it. When Swayze's character is brought in to bring a bar under control, he admonishes the bouncers to "be nice." Even when it's time to eject a customer, "show them the door, but be... nice." That, in a nutshell, is customer service.

Allow me, please, to use the same example I brought up. That Trayvon Martin thread. At the same time as the example I've already given, Mac rejected my point about posting the IP address. She didn't explain, she didn't expound. And that's fine. "No" was respectful, and I neither expected nor felt owed an explanation. I appreciate that she felt it merited a response, and the response given to me was both professional *and* good customer service.

Look, this was an instance where people could get a glimpse at both sides of a exchange, and so would provide illustration of my actual point, that what one side may see as poor customer service, another may not. In fact, I was pretty certain that Mac would not. And that, as I said from the start, was the point I was raising.

You may not agree with her decisions, but the least you can do is trust that members are never banned without just cause and often for reasons that aren't fully apparent on the surface.
I feel the need to repeat that I never questioned the decision to ban, there or here. My feelings are not and never have been about her being banned.

For future reference, please note that it's bad form to bring up disagreements from threads into other discussions. In this case, you've done so by distorting the meaning of "customer service" to rehash issues from a closed thread that shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. Instead, you'd be better off discussing your views with Mac directly, or simply keeping them to yourself.
I don't think I have distorted anything. Not the definition of customer (one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer) and two (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/customer.html) examples), nor of customer service (one (http://www.bizwatchonline.com/BWJuly06/article3_0904.htm) and two (http://www.entrepreneur.com/encyclopedia/term/82148.html) examples).

You folks disagree with what I saw. OK. I'm not actually intending to argue that. I was pointing out that I saw one thing, you (at the time, and since then confirmed) very likely did not, and that's what I was trying to show. That the two sides of a customer service event may not see it the same way.

Williebee
05-11-2012, 12:55 AM
I don't get charged a fee at my local library, but I *am* a customer when I'm there. If I provide something, regardless of charging for it, someone who opts to partake of it is a customer. I've looked through ITIL, The Help Desk Institute, and several other technical resources I know of, and nowhere is payment a requirement listed in order to be considered a customer (not as regards customer service expectations).

ETA: Also, there is a not insignificant difference between being an entity that offers a service, and one that provides a service. The obligations inherent in the two are very different.

Aside from being irrelevant (AW is neither your public or personal library OR in any way, shape or form an "IT Service Management" organization.) it is also, most probably, just wrong.

I've never lived in a community whose public library was not funded by local/state/federal tax monies. I've only lived in one that didn't charge a fee for their library card. If you live there and you, or perhaps your legal guardian, pay taxes, you got charged a fee.

mirandashell
05-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Well, this was quite a fun thread......

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 01:07 AM
I had another lovely run in with online shopping. This time it was on Ebay. I ordered two scrub suits over a month ago. Neither has come. I messaged the seller a week ago and no response. I messaged him yesterday and informed him that if I didn't get a response for him, I'd have to open a dispute through Payal. He responds and tells me he didn't bother to ship my items... yet even thought I paid the same day I purchased them! I went ahead and informed him I was going to go through Paypal to get my money back. Needless to say he didn't respond.

Stacia Kane
05-11-2012, 01:38 AM
I keep using the contact form at Sephora.com to try to check my VIB status, because I should still be a VIB. No one is getting back to me and I'm getting quite annoyed.

And customer service in England is, generally, horrible. Like, really really horrible, and when you call to complain they're just as horrible to you.

zanzjan
05-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I once had an employee at a grocery store in France throw a bunch of scallions at my head.

Ari Meermans
05-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Ah well, la France. We French LOVE scallions--maybe it was meant as a gift. :roll:

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I once had an employee at a grocery store in France throw a bunch of scallions at my head.

That's extreme.... Some people!

WildScribe
05-11-2012, 02:46 AM
I know it's a Big Evil Corp, but Amazon really does have the most amazing customer service. I'm on my third K3 in three years because the first two broke (I swear I just wore them out) and they were replaced for free once it was determined that I didn't drop it or put it through the dishwasher or some equally stupid thing.

Where we used to live, our front door was ON the sidewalk, and our mailman left a package there. Needless to say it was gone in a heartbeat. I called Amazon because I simply couldn't think of anything else to do, and they sent me a new shipment, just like that (and it was expensive, too.)

But, yeah, most of the big corps have HORRIBLE customer service. In general, small business FTW.

Silver King
05-11-2012, 03:39 AM
...You folks disagree with what I saw. OK. I'm not actually intending to argue that. I was pointing out that I saw one thing, you (at the time, and since then confirmed) very likely did not, and that's what I was trying to show. That the two sides of a customer service event may not see it the same way.
Falcon, you're either being deliberately obtuse, or your reading comprehension is seriously lacking. I also suspect that you're arguing for the sake of hearing yourself talk, even though others find what you have to say annoying in the extreme.

You can put whatever spin you want on "customer service" and make believe it applies to AW, but it has no basis in reality and isn't even worth discussing with you any longer.

But what is worth talking about is how you've dredged up issues from a closed thread and brought them into this discussion. That's inexcusable, especially since the tone of your first post indicates you knew better when you said, "I hope I don't get in trouble for this illustration..." That's the equivalent of saying, "I hope I don't burn my hand when I touch that fire..."

As far as I know, you're not in any trouble here; but you will be if you persist on derailing threads with accusations of what you perceive to be poor "customer service" on this site.

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 03:53 AM
Mac is a very reasonable person.

FalconMage
05-11-2012, 04:40 AM
ETA: Also, there is a not insignificant difference between being an entity that offers a service, and one that provides a service. The obligations inherent in the two are very different.

Look, you see things one way, I see them another. That's the point I raised and why I chose a "local" example, to let people see exactly that. So that "both" sides could be seen in a customer service dispute.

I don't think principles of good customer service change from one type of organization to another. The methods might, but they all aim at the same goals. And I think you can find ten or twenty resources that define customer service, and they will all essentially agree, regardless of the type of organization those resources are aimed at. I've provided four fairly diverse links to that effect.

poetinahat
05-11-2012, 04:46 AM

Oh, man. An actual...

rapscallion.

I thought they were mythical beasts!

Haggis
05-11-2012, 04:53 AM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/Damnhaggis/customerservice.jpg

Snowybunny12
05-11-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm trying to figure out how long it will take for this thread to end up in TIO

4-H has horrible customer service, I wrote my state representative about a concern I had about their rabbits. The only response I got back was "those rabbits were not our's" never mind the fact that there was more to my email then that. I emailed her back a month ago and have yet to receive a response.

Silver King
05-11-2012, 05:40 AM
I'm trying to figure out how long it will take for this thread to end up in TIO
It would take a lot more than what this thread has offered thus far for me to boot it elsewhere.

I would, however, appreciate Falcon's response should he decide to do so in a reasoned manner.

backslashbaby
05-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Can we throw scallions at his head? :D :D :D

That would be really fun to do at work, I have to say. Love those Frenchies :D

FalconMage
05-11-2012, 06:36 AM
I would, however, appreciate Falcon's response should he decide to do so in a reasoned manner.

I'm confused. Response to what?

zanzjan
05-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Ah well, la France. We French LOVE scallions--maybe it was meant as a gift. :roll:

In hindsight, I suspect the scallions were priced by the bunch rather than by weight, and not being able to read French (I'd been there a week, and the guy who was supposed to teach us French had run off on a drunken bender to Paris) I had made the mistake of mimicking my fellow produce shoppers by setting them on a scale, whereupon they were immediately picked up by the staffer at the scales and hurled back at me with surprising force.

Kinda glad it wasn't a melon.

Williebee
05-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Did you get to keep the scallions? Seems only fair, you know? Not like you went to the produce aisle and got them yourself.

Williebee
05-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Did you get to keep the scallions? Seems only fair, you know? Not like you went to the produce aisle and got them yourself.

Oh wait, guess you did. Still --

:)

But then I'm the guy who would have shouted "Food Fight" and thrown something back.

bettielee
05-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Customer service?

Ahem! I resemble that remark!!!

Don't judge me!! I work in customer service... for a plumbing company. If you want a thing that goes in the thing that makes the deal go up and down... don't freaking call me unless you have a model number.

I try to be helpful and cheerful to all my customers... I'm one of the good guys... honest!

But seriously.... my changeover with my AT&T Internet was hell - that place is rife with idiots! All of them!!!!!

However - yesterday, I was ordering some clothes at this place I have a membership. It didn't show my membership freight discount, and it invited me to buy a membership... I'm like... I have a membership, I paid for it, it's right here on my invoice ! so I used their "chat" - and this person was less than helpful. Told me I didn't have a membership, didn't sign in with an email of a person that had a membership, if I had one, and he assured me.... he assured me... that if I had a membership, it would show. Then he asked for my password.

That didn't sound cool, I told him it didn't sound cool, and he said I could call if I didn't want to give the password over the chat.

First thing I did was change my password.

Then I called and explained my problem to the nice guy who answered the phone. He had me sorted in about 10 minutes, and kept apologizing profusely about the time it took, but there was some kind of glitch, and he had to re-enter all my info. He had me sign back on, check my cart, and there's my discount!! Yays! And now 3 bras and 2 pairs of pants are winging their way toward me. One of the bras is pink. I'm excited. I usually go with white....

bettielee
05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
sorry... that was an overshare...

Williebee
05-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

:)

bettielee
05-11-2012, 07:49 AM
there will be no pictures....

MacAllister
05-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Heh.

You guys don't EVEN wanna hear about my experience with BofA customer service, when they ret-conned my account by three days to pretend that my account had insufficient funds when an automagic payment went out...the payment went out on the day it was supposed to, everything was fine. Two days later, they changed an electronic funds transfer from "completed" to "pending" and backdated everything. I swear to god, I watched the status changes online while they were doing it.

The customer service person was seriously unhelpful until I explained that I had timestamped screenshots and I'd like to speak to her supervisor.

They fixed it, but jeez -- it took most of an afternoon to get there.

It is SO past time for me to find a new bank. I'm just lazy, I guess -- I've had both a personal and a business account with them for years and years.

zanzjan
05-11-2012, 07:57 AM
But then I'm the guy who would have shouted "Food Fight" and thrown something back.

I was young, and far more meek than I am now.

But yes, kept the scallions, after paying for them. Didn't have them for long, though. :)

zanzjan
05-11-2012, 07:59 AM
You guys don't EVEN wanna hear about my experience with BofA customer service

*cough*cough*credit-union*cough*

bettielee
05-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Heh.

You guys don't EVEN wanna hear about my experience with BofA customer service, when they ret-conned my account by three days to pretend that my account had insufficient funds when an automagic payment went out...the payment went out on the day it was supposed to, everything was fine. Two days later, they changed an electronic funds transfer from "completed" to "pending" and backdated everything. I swear to god, I watched the status changes online while they were doing it.

The customer service person was seriously unhelpful until I explained that I had timestamped screenshots and I'd like to speak to her supervisor.

It is SO past time for me to find a new bank. I'm just lazy, I guess -- I've had both a personal and a business account with them for years and years.

This is how they get you.... you know that thing "they fark you in the drive through?" It's because they know they can get away with it, and the banks, or the internet companies, etc. know that sometimes it's more hassle to change banks or internet providers than we want to go thru.... so they fark us. They fark us in the asp!

bettielee
05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
I had another lovely run in with online shopping. This time it was on Ebay. I ordered two scrub suits over a month ago. Neither has come. I messaged the seller a week ago and no response. I messaged him yesterday and informed him that if I didn't get a response for him, I'd have to open a dispute through Payal. He responds and tells me he didn't bother to ship my items... yet even thought I paid the same day I purchased them! I went ahead and informed him I was going to go through Paypal to get my money back. Needless to say he didn't respond.

oh, and I bought a plug-in power cord, because I .. needed it.. and it didn't fit. I emailed the guy and asked if he had one that would fit such and thus... he emailed me back

No.

No kiss my ass, ever so sorry, nothing. just

No.

MacAllister
05-11-2012, 08:11 AM
This is how they get you.... you know that thing "they fark you in the drive through?" It's because they know they can get away with it, and the banks, or the internet companies, etc. know that sometimes it's more hassle to change banks or internet providers than we want to go thru.... so they fark us. They fark us in the asp!

I have a friend who was moving out of state and trying to get his deposit back from a utility company. I went in to the office with him when they wouldn't refund his 450 bucks, and they told him "Oh, we don't do that. We only issue credit, not refunds. But if you ever open a new account in the future, your deposit will still be on record under your name."

He said, "I'm leaving the state. I'm not planning to ever come back. You need to refund the deposit. What do I have to do to get you to just shake loose with it?"

The customer service person told him "Well, you'll have to sue us for it, then. Our policy is not to refund anything without a court order -- and we usually appeal those orders, because we have our own legal staff on salary."

bettielee
05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
It makes those of us who try and do our jobs in the much maligned field of customer service look bad.

Some of us are not bad people.... we just work for bad companies.

MacAllister
05-11-2012, 08:16 AM
I gotta say, I kind of respected her honesty, even though her answer was so utterly appalling.

AbielleRose
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Heh.

*cough*cough*credit-union*cough*

As someone who's worked in customer service for a bank, I heartily apologize for my kind...

... but we need money for our extensive stash of stress balls and various sized Post-It notes. Those things are frigging expensive! :D

*hides*

For a positive customer service note- We'd just had a Noodles and Co open up here a few months back and as with any new 'known' named business, it was popular instantly. I went there to get take out one night and they said the wait would be 10-15 minutes so I gladly sat and waited for my food. The manager came out after 15 minutes apologizing profusely for the wait (which they'd told me to expect so I didn't mind) and gave me 2 free meals for the 'inconvenience'. I was really blown away. Most places don't care about their customers waiting for food, especially not that short of a time frame.

Places like that are places I'll return to, not necessarily because I prefer their product above another place's, but because of the service. It makes you feel great when you're on the receiving end of something great. :)

poetinahat
05-11-2012, 08:55 AM
It occurs to me that this issue of board moderation as a "customer service" issue comes down to broad-construction versus strict-construction interpretations.

Moderation of a privately-owned, free-to-join discussion board - which provides a wealth of expertise, assistance, and camaraderie - could be called customer service. But it's like saying that every job involves sales of some sort: "selling", then, includes negotiation, persuading others of the merits of your position, defending a proposal, and anything where one has to try to get someone else to agree to something.

In my view, there may be shared concepts, but making the definition that broad effectively renders it useless. And, I believe, applying strict-construction expectations in a broad-construction definition is inapt.

AbielleRose
05-11-2012, 09:05 AM
With any group activity there's going to be some form of conflict.There are ASPECTS of 'customer service' (in a very broad form) that can always be applied- such as being courteous, fair and an open listener and dealing with concerns in a well mannered and respectful way. Our AW mods are excellent at doing just that.

MacAllister
05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Wanna know the secret?

It's all about the conversation, to me. If something doesn't serve the conversation, if it (especially deliberately) detracts or degrades or disrupts? That's something that doesn't deserve respect, consideration, or energy.

Sometimes, that can look pretty arbitrary.

I'm okay with that. And I'm okay with people being occasionally uncomfortable when things look too arbitrary. It keeps me honest. I think that's what's going on with FalconMage's observation. I think something struck him as arbitrary and opaque and he's trying to sort it out as well as offering an example of something that's not obvious and has conflicting perspectives -- and he's trying to sort it here, albeit a little clumsily. I'm okay with that. I'd have answered a PMed question with rather more detail than I answered the question onthread, but I know people hesitate to PM me, sometimes, for a wide range of reasons.

So does that put the AW Customer Service part of this conversation to rest?

bettielee
05-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I would like some cake now.

Tea and cake?

I think we'd be good with tea and cake. And ponies. Sparkly ones.

MacAllister
05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I was sorta thinking about a vodka martini, actually. But that doesn't go as well with cake, admittedly.

Caitlin Black
05-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Nowadays, I'm happy with customer service if the person can actually manage to have a conversation and not just utter the party lines.

I've not really had any big blowouts regarding service, luckily.

Oh, and I've worked in customer service a number of times. The worst was when I was in telemarketing... I had a moral objection to that job.

So if I rang someone up and they said they weren't interested, I'd just say, "Sorry to bother you, have a good day." Minimum wage for me, at that time, wasn't worth making strangers angry.

Caitlin Black
05-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I was sorta thinking about a vodka martini, actually. But that doesn't go as well with cake, admittedly.

Perhaps a rum-cake?

Never tried that combination, but I think it might be worth investigating. :)

(And yes, I am drinking vicariously. ;))

Archerbird
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Another one who's worked in customer service. I started in a group with 30 people, and after 2 months there were only 5 left, me included. Horrible training and crappy management. I don't think it's the worst job one could have, but it seems that crappy management is the norm, and customers are the ones who have to pay for it.

Having said that, I can't remember being a customer having to deal with a difficult customer service person. I do remember being the difficult customer service person though. :e2fight:

Mr Flibble
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
And customer service in England is, generally, horrible. Like, really really horrible, and when you call to complain they're just as horrible to you.

Like this?
l
l
v

"Well, you'll have to sue us for it, then. Our policy is not to refund anything without a court order -- and we usually appeal those orders, because we have our own legal staff on salary."
:evil

TO be fair, ofc, customer service in the UK expects you to complain, because it's our national pastime. Though we often try to do it quietly, under our breath like The trouble really comes when they outsource customer services and the guy on the other end of the phone doesn't understand you, and you don't understand him and....

Internet company rang the other day. 'I understand you had a problem? Please tell me about it so we can stop it occurring again'. And they were very apologetic too.

fireluxlou
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I try to be really nice to customers because I enjoy serving them, I will talk as much as I can with them but I find small talk hard sometimes and I wear a name badge at work so they talk to me as if we're old friends. I get caught off guard when one is suddenly nasty to me for no real reason I can find. Sometimes wish customers wouldn't take their bad days out on me.

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 03:00 PM
oh, and I bought a plug-in power cord, because I .. needed it.. and it didn't fit. I emailed the guy and asked if he had one that would fit such and thus... he emailed me back

No.

No kiss my ass, ever so sorry, nothing. just

No.

Geez! I like Ebay, but I'm thinking I won't purchase anything there again for a bit. The hassle isn't worth it.

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm never mean to anyone when I have to go through customer service. I keep in mind that it's another person on the other side of the counter or phone. But when they get nasty, I turn.

Stacia Kane
05-11-2012, 03:09 PM
For a positive customer service note- We'd just had a Noodles and Co open up here a few months back and as with any new 'known' named business, it was popular instantly. I went there to get take out one night and they said the wait would be 10-15 minutes so I gladly sat and waited for my food. The manager came out after 15 minutes apologizing profusely for the wait (which they'd told me to expect so I didn't mind) and gave me 2 free meals for the 'inconvenience'. I was really blown away. Most places don't care about their customers waiting for food, especially not that short of a time frame.

Places like that are places I'll return to, not necessarily because I prefer their product above another place's, but because of the service. It makes you feel great when you're on the receiving end of something great. :)

I have a GREAT customer service story!

About eight years ago now, when Princess (my older daughter--Faerie wasn't born yet) was two, I needed to go to Office Depot. Our friend George went with us.

When we parked, he got a phone call. So he stayed outside to complete his call while Princess and I went into the store.

We'd been inside for ten minutes or so when he found us in the back. I discovered Princess needed her diaper changed. George offered to do it so I could keep comparing products (I was buying a gift). So he took Princess and left.

A few minutes later, a VERY anxious Office Depot employee came up to me to ask me if I hadn't had a little girl with me when I arrived, because a man was trying to leave the building with her. :)

I assured her that no, he was her godfather, he was with us, and I knew he'd taken her and what he was doing.

George told me when he returned with a newly-diapered Princess that two male store employees physically blocked him from leaving the store until they'd confirmed with me that it was okay and I'd given him permission.

They told me that they're actually trained to pay attention when children enter the store, to see with whom they walk in, and make sure that when they leave it's with the same person. And to stop them if they have any questions.

What's funny is how apologetic the employees were to George, though he kept telling them that he appreciated it, that he was glad they'd stopped him, and that he thought it was great that they had (as did I). :)

I thanked all of them, and the manager, and wrote a letter to their corporate office to say how much I appreciated it. Hopefully the employees got some sort of commendation or something for that, but either way, I still shop at OD whenever I can because of it.

mccardey
05-11-2012, 03:22 PM
I like that story, Stacia :)

I have one, too. I have prosopagnosia (face-blindness) which means I use cues other than faces to recognise people. When my kids were eight and ten and we'd just arrived in Malaysia, they were having swimming lessons at the local pool. I took them up for their third or fourth lesson, handed them over to the swimming instructor, chatted a bit (my bahasa was never as good as I thought it was) and said, jokingly "Keep them an eye on them, won't you?"

He did. For the full hour. But - he wasn't their swimming instructor, I found out later. He was just some sweet guy in a similar shirt, delivering stuff to the bar.

*sigh*

:e2tomato:
I hate days like that.

AbielleRose
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
That's a great story, Stacia! It really is great when places go a little extra further like that. I've stopped going to grocery stores for things like putting a gallon of milk in the same bag as a loaf of bread or once for dumping a little bowl of ketchup on my mom without apologizing or anything!

One of the guys I work with went out to eat at The Cracker Barrel a few months ago with his then 5 month old son. The waitress spilled a bowl of hot soup on the infant! She didn't apologize or anything, just walked off. He thought she was going to get a rag but she didn't even do that! He was okay, thankfully, but that could have been tragic had the soup hit his face or skin rather than the blanket they had over most of him.

Stacia Kane
05-11-2012, 07:52 PM
One of the guys I work with went out to eat at The Cracker Barrel a few months ago with his then 5 month old son. The waitress spilled a bowl of hot soup on the infant! She didn't apologize or anything, just walked off. He thought she was going to get a rag but she didn't even do that! He was okay, thankfully, but that could have been tragic had the soup hit his face or skin rather than the blanket they had over most of him.

OMG! I hope he complained!

I've worked a LOT of customer service jobs. And I've been a waitress and a bartender. The funny thing is, it makes me more understanding of some service and way, way harder on others. I'm totally fine and understanding when my waitress forgets stuff or doesn't check on me because s/he's really busy, frex, and still leave a big tip (I'm a great tipper) but way less so when they're just rude or lazy.

bettielee
05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Geez! I like Ebay, but I'm thinking I won't purchase anything there again for a bit. The hassle isn't worth it.

you know, what's hard about ebay or amazon - it's really all about the individual person or business that you deal with - those places are communities of sellers and buyers working together. Most of us who sell on ebay or amazon also buy from there too - I always have that in mind when I sell something. That "me" I'm sending this used dvd to....

that jerk should have thought of that...

bettielee
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I gotta say, I kind of respected her honesty, even though her answer was so utterly appalling.

oh... I have a follow up

When I was going to move, I called to find out what bs "transfer fees" they would charge me from AT&T - I was assured there were no transfer fees. Well, after I did for reals move and put in my transfer, all I was informed was "transferred" was the phone. I don't even need the phoneline, it was just for the dsl, and I was told I needed the phoneline for the dsl, which I am sure is bs.

When I called to say WHERE IS MY INTERNET????? in my Hulk voice, there was no internet order, and b: the nice guy was going to waive the transfer fee for me because of the problem.

FAIRY HULK WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO TRANSFER FEES!!!!!

Well, long story short, they are idiots. BUT: I saw my bill - and the bill is JUST for the dsl service, there is no phone being charged (I told them I knew that "you gotta have a phone thing was bs"). So they did fix that - and the bill is now $30 where it had been $50

But I did ask the guy why I was told there would be no transfer fee - he said it really just depended on who you got.

They fark you at the drive thru!!!

ETA: I don't even have a phone to plug into the wall - so that whole phoneline thing really cheesed me off

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
you know, what's hard about ebay or amazon - it's really all about the individual person or business that you deal with - those places are communities of sellers and buyers working together. Most of us who sell on ebay or amazon also buy from there too - I always have that in mind when I sell something. That "me" I'm sending this used dvd to....

that jerk should have thought of that...

I don't buy from sellers on Amazon, just on Ebay.

What got me the most about the whole Ebay deal was the seller responded to me with something like. "I'm sorry, I didn't bother to ship your items." WTF? I paid him over 40 bucks and he didn't bother to ship my stuff? I'm still blown away by that. Did he think he was just going to keep the money and send me nothing?

I filed with Paypal for my money back. Hopefully it won't take long.

bettielee
05-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Wow.

I hope they take care of that for you quickly...

Ari Meermans
05-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Did you file a Non-performing Seller Report with eBay? They'll get a real kick out of the "didn't bother to ship" comment. I'm not crazy about how eBay has changed in the last few years, but they've been really responsive to my needs both as a buyer and as a seller.

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Did you file a Non-performing Seller Report with eBay? They'll get a real kick out of the "didn't bother to ship" comment. I'm not crazy about how eBay has changed in the last few years, but they've been really responsive to my needs both as a buyer and as a seller.

When I filed with Paypal I included a detailed account of the experience. Plus I left negative feedback for both items.

brainstorm77
05-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Wow.

I hope they take care of that for you quickly...

Yes! This was the weirdest experience for me on Ebay.

Williebee
05-12-2012, 12:13 AM
OMG! I hope he complained!

I've worked a LOT of customer service jobs. And I've been a waitress and a bartender. The funny thing is, it makes me more understanding of some service and way, way harder on others. I'm totally fine and understanding when my waitress forgets stuff or doesn't check on me because s/he's really busy, frex, and still leave a big tip (I'm a great tipper) but way less so when they're just rude or lazy.

Yup. Waiting tables and making pizza made me a much better tipper.

AbielleRose
05-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Yup. Waiting tables and making pizza made me a much better tipper.

Lesson learned from my year working in a pizza place: kids and taco pizza don't mix. That stuff is soooooo messy! I think I have PTSD from working there... to this day I refuse to get lettuce on my taco pizzas.

Caitlin Black
05-12-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm much more of a recluse since working in retail over Christmas.

There is such a thing as too many people per day... All wanting my attention... All having needs... *flashback to Christmas Eve* Argh!

I need a job that plays on my reclusive nature. ;)

brainstorm77
05-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Seller claims to have sent my items now. I wonder if it's because I filed a claim against him? He sent that message last night. I don't believe that he did since there's no proof that he's sent anything.

This morning I get a snotty email about him regarding the negative feedback that I left. What did he expect?

I responded that the claim against him would stay open and that I want a refund. I did manage to stay civil in the message.