National settings

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Looking through my collection I note that most erotica that i have seems to be contemporary American in setting. Do you think that using settings of other countries that I have lived in would be a feature that editors would like, or one they might avoid for fear readers would be confused or put off?

nolabohemian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cbcalsing.blogspot.com
I think it definitely works to use more 'exotic' settings. It can add to the sensuality of it, taking your reader on more of a journey. I tend to write, though, only about places I've been to, so as to add enough detail to make it realistic, or I make up conceivable places, like tropical islands or Alpine spas... vague on location, but lavish on detail.

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, sex in exotic locations is always good, in writing as it is in real life.

Get at it Veinglory!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that a setting can be an erotic element, so long as you get it right. I certainly wouldn't try to place my work in a setting where I've never been, or spent only a short time hitting only the tourist highlights.

For me, the nation isn't much of a factor. (I write 'American.') The more immediate setting--the traits of the geographical area through which the characters move and moreso, the places where they stop to do this or that--are carefully chosen and given some detail.

I think a UK setting would be considered interesting or even exotic by American readers. (Magestic old buildings, castles, ancient twisting streets and alleys, country homes, mansions, the ultimate quaint cottages, magnificent churches, regal universities...)

IMO, people read erotica for the turn-on, but education and entertainment in addition to it are welcome, when well-done and seamlessly integrated. I would think that setting in a non-contemporary, non-American setting would be a plus if you make it accurate and interesting.

Maryn, who hasn't been to this board in way too long (didja miss me?)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I sure did!

Until recently I have written everything in a general American setting. Although one set of novella is actually, in my mind, set in NZ. The last ones were set in Scotland and Ireland but without using much in the way of scenic settings...

I guess it may be one advantage of having moved around for work, I can write a few different countries without making embarrassing mistakes.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Good question.

I think any setting with the right mood and story would be good of course. Exotic locales howerver do lend a special flavor. In erotica though I can imagine the cliches of Oriental massages and Kama Sutra islands. Exotic but unique.

Scotland I can see. Modern couples need to adapt to those cold, drafty big castles!

Teehee!

Kristin