• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

hola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_Atlantian

The Mighty Alexander!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm Adam and i need help. I am working on a series of nine books and right now i am young and need to learn all that i can. I finished my first novel so i need to know how to edit it and what to look for when i edit. I want to be commercially published. I would love an agent but i can't afford that. So i have to do that by myself. I want tips and some revisions on my novel by some published authors. I've recieved a lot of help already by the Share your Work forum but i want someone who has delt with the publishers and agents. Any one with some advice and help it woud be appreciated. I have been rejected once but it was only a letter so the the publisher never saw my manuscript. I am trying to prepare another submission letter send out so i could use all the help ASAP.
Adam

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Adam,

I remember your query letter from Share Your Work. I want to comment on one part of your post:

I would love an agent but i can't afford that. So i have to do that by myself.

Any good agent won't charge you up front. They get paid when your work sells to a publisher, and then they'll take a percentage of the cut. Agents won't edit or critique manuscripts, though -- their job is to get your work out into the publishing world.

Once you get your new query finalized, you might consider checking out some agents to send your letter to, not just publishers. If you need more help finding good agents from the bad, check out the "Bewares and Background" section of this board.

Good luck!
Katie

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A series of nine books? You mean like Harry Potter +? You want to interest an Agent in a first-time author with a series of nine books? I hope the first one is a stand-alone. Come on, Adam - be realistic. Take one step at a time, friend.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=436207#post436207

Adam_Atlantian said:
Hi. I'm Adam and i need help. I am working on a series of nine books and right now i am young and need to learn all that i can. I finished my first novel so i need to know how to edit it and what to look for when i edit. I want to be commercially published. I would love an agent but i can't afford that. So i have to do that by myself. I want tips and some revisions on my novel by some published authors. I've recieved a lot of help already by the Share your Work forum but i want someone who has delt with the publishers and agents. Any one with some advice and help it woud be appreciated. I have been rejected once but it was only a letter so the the publisher never saw my manuscript. I am trying to prepare another submission letter send out so i could use all the help ASAP.
Adam

Adam_Atlantian

The Mighty Alexander!
Registered
Reaction score
Bufty said:
A series of nine books? You mean like Harry Potter +? You want to interest an Agent in a first-time author with a series of nine books? I hope the first one is a stand-alone. Come on, Adam - be realistic. Take one step at a time, friend.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=436207#post436207

Alot of people have tryed to compare my story to HP. Let me out it to rest. It may be a YA novel like it and it may have tha whole young guy beats big evil feel but it's not like harry potter. Maybe a small bit, but when my heros beat the big bad they will be in their twenties. And the first one is stand alone. I'm not gonna spring a huge series on any one just yet. The only mention i make of it is a sequel to the first. I know it might freak out an agent and publisher if i said it so no worries. :Thumbs:

Kasilius

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my story's kind of like that. Instead of nine, it's five though..maybe four. I'm young too so people sometimes say, "Writing a book? You're too young, wait until you're a little older." but some authors didn't, did they? Christopher Paolini didn't.

I say go for it, Adam. And Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.