Roommate question

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
What do you think of a roommate who repeatedly leaves the spent toilet paper tube sitting in the bathroom on the vanity rather than throwing it into the trash or the recycling? She replaces the spent roll with a new roll, but refuses to throw away the tube.

WTF??

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think of a roommate who repeatedly leaves the spent toilet paper tube sitting in the bathroom on the vanity rather than throwing it into the trash or the recycling? She replaces the spent roll with a new roll, but refuses to throw away the tube.

WTF??

I suspect she's my husband...

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score

You beat me to it. :tongue
It could also be one of my children.
Except none of mine would ever replace it, the spent tube would still be on the spool.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay ... let me clarify ... I truly think she's playing a mind game with me -- a power struggle. She wans ME to throw it away.

It's like I said in the rep point - you'll have to kill her. Once they start with the mindgames, I'm sorry - there's no other choice.

Be humane. That's all I ask.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's like I said in the rep point - you'll have to kill her. Once they start with the mindgames, I'm sorry - there's no other choice.

Thanks for the reppy. :)

Meanwhile, she's a conversation monopolizer -- interrupts me contantly. Talks over me and past me almost every time. And if I try to raise my voice, she says I am scaring her dog and I need to calm down.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

You've got him half-trained. Please PM me details as to how.

:rolleyes:

Okay ... let me clarify ... I truly think she's playing a mind game with me -- a power struggle. She wants ME to throw it away. She's trying to be coercive about it. And me ... deeply abhorrent of coercion-- I am resisting.

Play along. You might start decorating them...stickers, sharpie-drawn flowers, rabbit ears & whiskers. Or run for you life...

:D

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Gotta ask. Before this happened, did you empty it and not replace it?

If not, save them. Make a Christmas tree. Glue lights on the back side and put it up in her room. Then say, "Now let's talk about all the underwear you've been leaving on the bathroom floor."

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
eta: hold up. I cross posted with everyone. I may retract :)

:ROFL:

So throw it in the recycling! Then you can tease her about it if she does it again and again, of course :D

I believe you, btw. People are weird creatures.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I like the pictures on them. That's awesome :D

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Okay ... let me clarify ... I truly think she's playing a mind game with me -- a power struggle. She wants ME to throw it away. She's trying to be coercive about it. And me ... deeply abhorrent of coercion-- I am resisting.

Oh, but you could have so much fun with this.

Save up the spent rolls and make a wind chime out of them. Add macaroni and glitter, then hang it in the bathroom.

Make a second and insist she hang it in her room.

Gleefully tell her you're making her a very special homemade gift for her birthday. Let her know you can't wait for her friends to see it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Collect them. When you have enough you could build a new room-mate! Dress it in her clothes, prop it up on the toilet... there's whole new mind-game, right there.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gotta ask. Before this happened, did you empty it and not replace it?

No, I have never done that.

The REAL dispute is the bathroom trash can.

She got huffy with me once about the trash can. She left the bathroom trashcan out once for nearly two days, sitting NOT in the bathrooom but sitting for two days beside the kitchen trash can because that was her non-verbal way of wanting me to empty it. But I detest "hints" and prefer people be straightforward, so I ignored the hell out of the damned trashcan out of my own resentment of her inability to speak plainly. And after two days she finally blurted out "Can you please empty that trashcan?"

I said to her: "Gee, thanks for asking," and I immediately complied right in front of her.

And then she proceeded to lecture me that when I first moved in she said she NEVER uses the bathroomm trash can herself, and only has it in there for guests. Therefore, anything in there must surely be my trash and not hers.

So from that day onward I have never ever ever again placed a single scrap of anything into that bathroom trashcan. Not one damned thing. If I blow my nose, I carry the spent tissue with me into my bedroom and throw it away in there (very easy to do since my bedroom is next to the bathroom). And if I replace the toilet paper roll, I likewise take the spent roll into my bedroom and toss it in there. Tampons, dental floss--all of it goes into my bedroom trash can.

So I believe this is her way of trying to MAKE me used the trashcan --even if it's just once-- so she can justify making me change it again.

If not, save them. Make a Christmas tree. Glue lights on the back side and put it up in her room. Then say, "Now let's talk about all the underwear you've been leaving on the bathroom floor."

:)

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another non-vebnal coercive thing hse did.... she left the mop bucket out the other day, full of hot soapy water, leaning against the kitchen counter. When I saw it I assumed it was her way of saying "Your turn to mop the floor."

So here's what I did.

Since she never actually SAID she left the mop bucket out for me --and it's her refusal to speak clearly which pisses me off so much-- I decided to make no assumptions that the water and soap were "mine." So I went ahead and mopped the floor, but I did so on my hands and knees with rags (I hate mops, BTW -- germy things!). And I left the still-full and still-clean and soapy mop bucket exactly where she left it. (Why should I mess with something that obviously belongs to someone else?)

She got home right as I was leaving for work, and there stood the mop bucket right where she left it (I did move it out of the way when I cleaned the floor, and then replaced it back into its orginal spot again when I was done). She said nothing but when I got home it was gone. I am wondering if she went ahead and mopped the floor herself --what a waste if she did.

I just don't understand anyone wasting so much energy on being non-verbal and coercive instead of just saying "Hey, can you mop the floor something this week?"

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
In all seriousness: these types of folks are quite difficult (and complicated). It may be that she was trained as a child to NOT SAY what she wants/needs. And so she's left with hints and hopes of psychic connection with people in her personal life.

I'd try this:

Stay up past her bedtime one night that she will be working and you will be home the next day. Leave her a notepad, pen and a note that reads something like: "I'm off tomorrow, so if there's something that needs doing around the house, please let me know!"

Then draw a down-arrow indicating she WRITE what she wants/needs. She may be able to communicate this way without all the pent-up anxiety.

:Hug2:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In all seriousness: these types of folks are quite difficult (and complicated). It may be that she was trained as a child to NOT SAY what she wants/needs. And so she's left with hints and hopes of psychic connection with people in her personal life.

I'd try this:

Stay up past her bedtime one night that she will be working and you will be home the next day. Leave her a notepad, pen and a note that reads something like: "I'm off tomorrow, so if there's something that needs doing around the house, please let me know!"

Then draw a down-arrow indicating she WRITE what she wants/needs. She may be able to communicate this way without all the pent-up anxiety.

:Hug2:

That's excellent advice. Otherwise you're just going to find yourself playing the same sort of game back at her. She might even be quite nice except for this one glitch. Or - you know - not.

But life will be easier if you don't dance the dance with her.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But listen - if you need any more empty toilet roll tubes, you know where to come, right?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:eek: Plot Device, she sounds weird. And unpleasant, with the talking-over-you thing.

I do admit to collecting toilet paper rolls, though. I teach children's church. They come in handy for crafts. Also you can put rocks in them, tape up each end, and lob them at disobedient children.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I keep my toilet tissue and paper towel rolls for the garden, actually :D

I can't really give roommate advice, though. I'm entirely too odd to do well with most roommates, and that's fine by me. I had a very passive-aggressive ex; it was due to his background, and that made me sad for him. But it also drove me up the wall. I don't have the time nor the inclination to play games with folks. We were not a good mix in the end, lol :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kill her with the empty roll. It's slow and painful if you do it incorrectly.