Hats, caps and head gear

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Anyone except me make hats? I'm a vintage geek who loves the '20s and '30s and so I'm always in the need for new hats.

Made this cloche hat today from a felt cone which I steamed, blocked and shaped. Added some trimming in black wool felt too:

2b40a7ef.jpg

Black is hopeless to photograph, but if anyone cares, I posted some more pictures and wrote a little on how I made it on my blog http://dulloldperson.blogspot.se/2012/05/je-suis-modiste.html

So, anyone else make hats? Caps? Crowns? Tiaras? Any form of head wear?

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Very nice!

I've never blocked my own, just formed and decorated hats from blanks. I've made musketeer hats and tricorn hats that way.

Well, I sort of reshaped it. It was already cone-shaped so I just made the drapes and the brims and made it my size... So I did not entirely block it.

I found this great post on how to felt your own hats, though: http://fordandesigns.com/fordan/hatbody.html

That's my next project! :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh-ooh! The Kid (our adult daughter) will love that link. Thanks!

Maryn, who doesn't do needle felting herself

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Very nice, Flicka!

This reminded me to photograph some of my hats. From about 9 years ago, a dyed hemp net cap knotted with green and amber glass beads. I still wear it out, but I need to rebuild an outfit around it. The net was originally going to be a scarf, but I got fed up with knotting. I had just enough to wrap loosely around my head, so...

Greenhat3views.jpg