PDA

View Full Version : Freelance: Armor and Blades Magazine [pays author share of 50% net royalties]

sky warrior books
05-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Feel free to crosspost.

Armor and Blades Magazine
The foremost journal of edged weapons and combat

A production of Sky Warrior Books

Contributor Submission Guidelines

Armor and Blades Magazine is looking for well written and entertaining articles about edged weapons both historical and modern as well as armor of both types. The general tone of articles should be direct and conversational, however, scholarly pieces should reflect the seriousness of the subject without being ponderous. Our readership ranges from neophytes to sophisticated experts so articles should seek to appeal to a wide range of reader experience and interest. Articles that deal with the combative use of edged weapons and armor will be given the highest priority. Armor and Blades also welcomes controversial articles as long as they pertain to the focus of the magazine, these should be in good taste and well researched.

Here is a list of recommended and sought after subjects. Any author with material which is not on this list is encouraged to submit a query to the Editor-in-Chief which includes a brief outline of the article.

Edged weapon history
Historical or modern techniques for using edged weapons in combat
Modern edged weapons
Armor history
Modern armor
Historical or modern techniques of making armor and edged weapons
Profiles of armor or edged weapon makers either historical persons/entities or modern
Metallurgy as it relates to either historical or modern edged weapons and armor
The role of edged weapons or armor in history such as how it affected specific battles or periods of history
Cultural differences and or effects of culture on weapon and armor design and use
Coverage of reenactments and events related to the focus of the magazine
Hands on reviews of new products related to the focus of the magazine. These will be carefully reviewed. Press releases from producers of products must be clearly identified as such and include a point of contact at the releasing organization.
DIY pieces on anything related to the focus of the magazine. Articles authored by persons with verifiable credentials in their subject will be given a higher priority.

Articles should be between five hundred to two thousand words in length. Authors desiring to submit longer pieces should consider producing them as a series or should query the Editor-in-Chief. All submissions should be formatted as RTF files. Articles containing high quality, informative photos will be given priority; photos must be 72dpi minimum, JPEG.

Armor and Blades Magazine is also seeking authors to provide regular columns on specific subjects, please query the Editor-in-Chief.

All work submitted to Armor and Blades Magazine must be the original work of the author, reprints of previous work are acceptable as long as the author owns the rights to the material. Plagiarism and or improper attribution of material is absolutely unacceptable.

Payment is a percentage of author's share (50% net on sales). Query or send complete manuscript in RTF format only -- all other submissions will be deleted. Query before sending photos. Send to: lbskywarriorbooks@gmail.com

-- Maggie Bonham, Publisher Sky Warrior Book Publishing, LLC www.skywarriorbooks.com (http://www.skywarriorbooks.com)

Tom from UK
05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Payment is a percentage of author's share (50% net on sales). What does this mean in magazine terms? How much money?

I know more than the average person about SE Asian edged weapons (especially kris), so I'd be interested, but I'd like a clearer idea of the money.

sky warrior books
05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
What does this mean in magazine terms? How much money?

I know more than the average person about SE Asian edged weapons (especially kris), so I'd be interested, but I'd like a clearer idea of the money.

We're planning on doing this as a serial e-pub, which means it will be available on Kindle, B&N, Smashwords, iPad, Sony, and others. We'll price our magazine competitively, but it should run around $5 an issue. Roughly estimated, if we have 5 authors per issue, you should expect somewhere between roughly 30 to 35 cents per issue sold for 5 years. What it equates to over the long haul depends on the sales. We're a new press, but our books are selling well and we have a good reputation among our authors.

Check out our books at www.skywarriorbooks.com (http://www.skywarriorbooks.com). We're professional enough to enjoy some very well-established authors.