Ranking Pro Markets

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
If, by some miraculous twist of fate, all the pro markets were interested in buying a story you wrote, which one would you sell it to, taking into account prestige, exposure, personal satisfaction, etc.?

By pro, I mean SFWA approved. And, let's go ahead and eliminate DSF and FFO from the list.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why? What's wrong with DSF and FFO?

I assume you feel that they are far less prestigious than other markets, and that you feel that everyone will automatically agree with you, so we can dismiss them from the start.
However, that's just an assumption, so if that's not what you meant, please clarify.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
If, by some miraculous twist of fate, all the pro markets were interested in buying a story you wrote, which one would you sell it to, taking into account prestige, exposure, personal satisfaction, etc.?

By pro, I mean SFWA approved. And, let's go ahead and eliminate DSF and FFO from the list.

F&SF by a nose over Asimov's. Those are two I grew up reading, but F&SF has a longer history.

I'm curious why DSF would be excluded? I'd rank them above a non-trivial number of the markets on the SFWA list. Their stories go out to a wide audience for free, there's a somewhat active discussion community on Facebook for getting feedback on your stories, etc.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

I asked a similar question, as you see, though only about DSF. I have nothing against FFO but IMO there are some notable advantages for DSF, not least the fact that they do run quite a few non-flash stories.

(And that's nothing against flash, either.) :)

FFO would not be last on my list, either, though.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto. What's wrong with them? Is it because they mainly publish flash? Sticking up for FFO, I love their stuff and think their quality of stories are top notch.

I'd definitely want to sell to F&SF, or BCS--they have some lovely stories.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
I would certainly not eliminate DSF or FFO from "pro," but they wouldn't be my top choices. FFO would be out for me, mainly because I don't terribly enjoy writing flash. DSF, on the other hand, publishes such a large number of stories that, if I had my choice, I'd likely pass it up in favor of a smaller market (preferably one reviewed in Locus).

Lightspeed would be my first choice. I consistently enjoy their stories. JJA sat on a panel I attended about coping with rejection, and I was impressed by his sensitivity toward writers, and his ability to maintain that respect while nonetheless publishing only the very best. That's a difficult balance.

Also, he has badass tattoos, though I gave that no weight in making my selection.

Bulletproof

live every week like it' shark week
Registered
Reaction score
The New Yorker. They're approved. I checked.

Bulletproof

live every week like it' shark week
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, picking The New Yorker feels like cheating (even if they publish George Saunders). I'd probably pick F&SF. That it's commonly available at local newstands is a big draw, but I enjoy that they always have a few stories with a distinct literary flavor.

If I'd already been published there, I'd pick Analog as a second.

(But if I'd already been published in The New Yorker, I'd graciously allow them to publish another story. They pay really well.)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know The New Yorker was SFWA approved. Now I have another market to submit too!

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I'd probably pick Clarkesworld, since their pay is high, I like their stories, and it seems like a really difficult market to break into.

After that, F&SF. I like the stories in F&SF as well, and I'm subscribed, so it would be neat to have my story printed and in my hands.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com

I assume you feel that they are far less prestigious than other markets, and that you feel that everyone will automatically agree with you, so we can dismiss them from the start.
However, that's just an assumption, so if that's not what you meant, please clarify.

Indeed, that's what I meant. It was also an assumption, but if there are, in fact, any people who would prefer to see their story published in DSF or FFO rather than Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, F&SF, etc., then I would certainly be more than fascinated to hear the rationale.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Indeed, that's what I meant. It was also an assumption, but if there are, in fact, any people who would prefer to see their story published in DSF or FFO rather than Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, F&SF, etc., then I would certainly be more than fascinated to hear the rationale.

Maybe I misinterpreted. I thought you were excluding *only* DSF and FFO and not any other markets. The main SFWA list if I'm counting correctly lists 30 or so primary markets, not including "also-qualifying" non-genre markets like The New Yorker, etc.

As an example, Highlights for Children is a qualifying market in the "main" SFWA list and personally, I'd rather have my work in either DSF or FFO than Highlights for Children.

Why? The audience reading it would be the one most likely to read other things I'd be likely to write.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

8c a word, loads of people get your story in their email.

Get good money and the story gets read.
In fact, because of the email thing, I read more stories from them than from anyone else.
They have also published some very good writers.

I've read a lot less from FFO, but what I have read has been good.

A pro market is a pro market. 8c trumps 5c. A SFWA qualification is good where ever it comes from.

I sub to where ever is open.

I'm fairly egalitarian, and slightly mercenary.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Maybe I misinterpreted. I thought you were excluding *only* DSF and FFO and not any other markets. The main SFWA list if I'm counting correctly lists 30 or so primary markets, not including "also-qualifying" non-genre markets like The New Yorker, etc.

As an example, Highlights for Children is a qualifying market in the "main" SFWA list and personally, I'd rather have my work in either DSF or FFO than Highlights for Children.

Why? The audience reading it would be the one most likely to read other things I'd be likely to write.

Excellent point. I forgot about the non-standard speculative fiction markets that are also SFWA qualifying. I am basically asking about the standard markets for fantasy and science fiction.

Also, there is nothign wrong with DSF and FFO, they are fine markets for their niches, I just didn't think anyone would choose them over the more prestigious and critically reviewed markets.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean by critically reviewed.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
8c a word, loads of people get your story in their email.

Get good money and the story gets read.
In fact, because of the email thing, I read more stories from them than from anyone else.
They have also published some very good writers.

I've read a lot less from FFO, but what I have read has been good.

A pro market is a pro market. 8c trumps 5c. A SFWA qualification is good where ever it comes from.

I sub to where ever is open.

I'm fairly egalitarian, and slightly mercenary.

Good points that I don't disagree with, but if you had an offer from DSF (8 cents a word) and Lightspeed (5 cents a word) for the same story, would you accept the offer from DSF?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd accept whichever one got in touch with me first.

It's never going to happen. I never sim sub, and I don't think either of those markets allow it.

But, in an imaginary world where that situation might occur, and I get both offers at exactly the same time...

Hmmm. DSF. More money. Money is good.
Clearly they value my story more.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean by critically reviewed.

Like the Locus reviews? The advantage to those is the increased exposure to anthology editors and Hugo/Nebula/other awards, both voters and judges...all of which leads to greater name recognition, professional legitimacy, and ultimately, more publication opportunities.

EDIT: Clearly, money's not a top priority for me. I'm all about critical acclaim.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Like the Locus reviews? The advantage to those is the increased exposure to anthology editors and Hugo/Nebula/other awards, both voters and judges...all of which leads to greater name recognition, professional legitimacy, and ultimately, more publication opportunities.

Well answered. Exactly what I was referring to.

klc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.snailinaturtleneck.com
Good points that I don't disagree with, but if you had an offer from DSF (8 cents a word) and Lightspeed (5 cents a word) for the same story, would you accept the offer from DSF?

Well, at that point I think one or both would send thugs to beat you up because neither takes simultaneous submissions, but aside from that...

I think I'd prefer the traditional magazine, because $50 vs. $80 is less important to me than 99% rejection rate vs. 95% rejection rate. Psh, I can slip into a 95% rejection-rate market anytime.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what Locus is.

I was always under the impression that if I subbed a good enough story to the right place at the right time, it would be accepted, regardless of name recognition and professional legitimacy.

I just write stories, and it's nice to get paid. The more money the better, really.
I don't know anything about the rest of the stuff.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
I'd accept whichever one got in touch with me first.

It's never going to happen. I never sim sub, and I don't think either of those markets allow it.

But, in an imaginary world where that situation might occur, and I get both offers at exactly the same time...

Hmmm. DSF. More money. Money is good.
Clearly they value my story more.

Interesting. Well, I guess my assumption was false. For me, the money is a less important factor, as it is fairly insignificant either way. An additional 3 cents a word isn't enough to outweigh the greater prestige, exposure, and higher potential for future benefits from other markets, but I suppose we all have different criteria and motivations.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the greater prestige, exposure, and higher potential for future benefits from other markets

No idea what you mean by any of these really.
Like I said before, I had assumed (and been told) that if I wrote a good enough story and sent it to the right place at the right time, it would be accepted, regardless of all the other stuff.

I don't want to be famous. Is that what this is about? About being famous so people know your name?

I don't want that. I'd like to sign all my stories 'Anonymous', but someone's already using that name.

I like writing stories, and in some ways, the money I get paid is a measure of the value of my story.

And writing stories is all I want to do. I don't want to piggy back a novel off them. I don't want people asking me how to write like I'm some sort of expert. And I don't want people knowing my name. That creeps me out a bit.

But money, you know where you stand with that. And $30 dollars, after it's turned into pounds and PayPal have taken their cut, well, it would pay for my tobacco and coffee for a week, and that's fine by me.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
I think it really is just a difference in priorities. I have no cash shortage, but my day job is utterly glamour-free. Hand me a Hugo and I'd die happy. I use a pseudonym, so it's not about the name...but I guess, on some level, it is about fame, or something vaguely like it. "Legitimacy" feels right--but maybe that's just 'cause I don't want to sound like a fame whore.

:D

Daydreams, of course, for now.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, OK. I just googled Locus.

Never seen it before.

I'm just filling my final years before I die, or the world ends, whichever decides to come first.

Can't leave my kid professional legitimacy or whatever, but cash is always handy.