PDA

View Full Version : reader, partner, occassional distracter

jv9000
05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
What I want in a reader is someone who can basically tell me if something totally doesn't work. I have a sort of fantasy-steampunk-y thing I'm working on right now, which I intend to toss to the wolves soonish which could stand a pair of eyes or two.

I would, of course, be glad to return the favor.

Partnerwise, I have enjoyed writing collaboratively in the past, and would be keen on giving it a shot again. This would be a lot more involved than the reader/co-reader relationship and would involve emailing or chatting about a lot of what we're doing before figuring out a method of actually working. I have a background in rather long-winded online RP which this would perhaps be a form of -- or maybe not.

Distraction probably doesn't need explanation, but another person in the trenches to commisserate with and bug with odd thoughts and bounce things off of would be grand.

A bit about me:

I'm writing a serial steam punk-y novel at the moment, but I've got an historical fiction novel in draft form and have a few urban fantasy-ish ideas in the works as well. I have an MFA in screenwriting, but I'm sticking to prose for the most part these days.

I did pick up a fair amount about structure and story from there, though, so I think I'm not the worst person to give some ideas when things are stuck. (Also, I think online rp is the improv of the writing world, so when in doubt, say yes and throw a curveball.)

And, you know, I'm a decent sort of cheerleader... albeit only metaphorically, since I am a gentleman who couldn't pull of that skirt.

Billtrumpet25
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
What I want in a reader is someone who can basically tell me if something totally doesn't work. I have a sort of fantasy-steampunk-y thing I'm working on right now, which I intend to toss to the wolves soonish which could stand a pair of eyes or two.

I would, of course, be glad to return the favor.

Partnerwise, I have enjoyed writing collaboratively in the past, and would be keen on giving it a shot again. This would be a lot more involved than the reader/co-reader relationship and would involve emailing or chatting about a lot of what we're doing before figuring out a method of actually working. I have a background in rather long-winded online RP which this would perhaps be a form of -- or maybe not.

Distraction probably doesn't need explanation, but another person in the trenches to commisserate with and bug with odd thoughts and bounce things off of would be grand.

A bit about me:

I'm writing a serial steam punk-y novel at the moment, but I've got an historical fiction novel in draft form and have a few urban fantasy-ish ideas in the works as well. I have an MFA in screenwriting, but I'm sticking to prose for the most part these days.

I did pick up a fair amount about structure and story from there, though, so I think I'm not the worst person to give some ideas when things are stuck. (Also, I think online rp is the improv of the writing world, so when in doubt, say yes and throw a curveball.)

And, you know, I'm a decent sort of cheerleader... albeit only metaphorically, since I am a gentleman who couldn't pull of that skirt.

Congrats on your WIP! :)

Where I am not a beta reader (at least for now), I do have some advice to offer. You say you are currently working on WIP, is that correct? It's not complete??? If that is the case, I would go and accumulate 50 posts, and then post a bit of your work in the SYW forum. Clean it there and with proofreading, and then go and ask for a beta. I've heard betas here say they rather wait for a finished product that is as clean as the author can make it before sharing it with a beta reader. Just my two cents, and there may be those who disagree with me (which I don't mind at all :D).

If it is complete and edited 'till you've turned blue in the face, then it would be time for a beta. But not before then. ;)

Oh, and welcome to AW!!! :snoopy:

:PartySmil

jv9000
05-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Congrats on your WIP! :)

WIP, is that correct? It's not complete??? If that is the case, I would go and accumulate 50 posts, and then post a bit of your work in the SYW forum. Clean it there and with proofreading, and then go and ask for a beta. I've heard betas here say they rather wait for a finished product that is as clean as the author can make it before sharing it with a beta reader.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not looking for someone to read it when it's basically finished and to tell me what they think of it, honestly. What I'm looking for is more of a workshop sort of thing where a few people or just one person can tell me what's hurting my story.

So if a "Beta Reader" is more the former then I am not looking for one. I suppose I'm more in the market for one or two, let's call them "writing confidantes".

Billtrumpet25
05-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not looking for someone to read it when it's basically finished and to tell me what they think of it, honestly. What I'm looking for is more of a workshop sort of thing where a few people or just one person can tell me what's hurting my story.

So if a "Beta Reader" is more the former then I am not looking for one. I suppose I'm more in the market for one or two, let's call them "writing confidantes".

Gotcha. :D

Don't ya love it when one term can mean 3+ different things? I apologize that I misinterpreted your intentions.

I can't "beta" read at this point, but I can be one of those confidantes if you need one. I can't do a huge line by line thing, but I can check things out conceptually, such as with outlines, etc.

In the mean time, you get a lot of confidantes regarding content in SYW. The response to a few pages posted there are generally (but not always) indicative of a possible response to the rest of the manuscript. Anyway, PM me if you are still in need. :)