PDA

View Full Version : Beasts of the Southern Wild

Jcomp
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA6FFnjvvmg

And synopsis:

"Faced with her father's fading health and environmental changes that release an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy leaves her Delta-community home in search of her mother."

Looks rather charming and reviews at Sundance were strong. And compared to the typical film fare that prominently features a black cast, it's refreshingly different. One AV Club reviewer likened it to live action Miyazaki, which sounds too freaking good to be true, so I'm forced to rein in my enthusiasm. Still, I'm looking forward to this.

Lavern08
05-04-2012, 06:23 PM
DANG!

That trailer was amazing. ;)

Kitty Pryde
05-05-2012, 03:09 AM
duuuuuuuuude.

It made me think of Bayou by Jeremy Love, a really excellent graphic novel.

thothguard51
05-05-2012, 03:37 AM
I like the little actress in this trailer. Looks like she has a future in movies. IMHO.

Looks like a very magical movie about life on the delta...

Kitty Pryde
05-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I put up an enormous fuss of nagging and made my partner watch this trailer. She would not admit it under extreme duress but I think she teared up a little bit.

Do you think this movie could exist without "The Princess and the Frog" Disney movie? I'm thinking no. Thoughts?

FoamyRules
05-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow, the trailer is intriguing and the little girl is cute as pie. I'm definitely looking forward to this as well.

@Kitty, that's an interesting question, too bad I don't really have an answer for it.

Kitty27
05-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Lil Mama won me the moment I saw her! *googles*

Quvenzhane Wallis ia cutie pie!

I want to see it. Anything that is non stereotypical with Black actors has me at hello. It looks very interesting.

Kitty,I'm not sure. I think it might have opened some doors and with the success of "Think Like A Man",which shows there is a huge audience hungry for positive representation AND willing to spend the dollars to see it,I hope many more are opened. Not just in Hollywood but publishing as well.

thebloodfiend
05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Looks interesting. Maybe for the audience who enjoyed Where the Wild Things Are. Not my thing, but I can see it being pretty cool.

Yorkist
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
This isn't my normal sort of thing either, but this just looks refreshing and not stereotypical or trite in any way. (It is so rare that I can make it through an entire movie trailer without rolling my eyes even once...) I am seriously looking forward to seeing it. Also, *hugs delta* my home! And, you know, I feel like this story may speak to something our area needs to reclaim its dignity, post-Katrina... I normally lurk and don't post in this subforum (don't feel I can contribute much to the discussion), but this topic is just important to me.

I shared this on all my social media sites in a vague hope that it'll eventually make its way into most theaters (i.e. theaters down in these parts). Trying to give it a bit of a grassroots marketing push. ETA: *cough* Not that I'm issuing thinly veiled suggestions that anyone else do the same or anything...

ETA2: The film website just in the last few days added a section to enter your email address and zipcode, which means they're probably doing market research for which theaters to send it to. So if you're interested in bringing this movie to your local theaters... (http://beastsofthesouthernwild.com/)

Kitty Pryde
07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Ok, I got to see it today. It blew my freaking mind. Seriously. Dazzling, amazing, wondrous, impossible to look away. I felt bad for crying so much, but my (guy) friend said he started crying during the opening credits and did not slow down throughout. It's incredibly powerful. And, despite all the crying, it's not really a downer. It's funny and joyous and the thing that really broke me down was so much courage in the face of maximum adversity. Incredible acting, and profound use of myth and not so veiled allegory. It's in my top three favorite movies for sure. If you live in a city, it's playing near you. Beastsofthesouthernwild.com GO SEE IT FOR REALS.

Yorkist
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Definitely going to see it in Nashville, and I'm happy to see that it'll be playing in New Orleans and Memphis. I really, really wish that people in Mississippi and Arkansas - people in the delta - had better opportunities to see the film.

Hopefully it'll make a fortune and the DVD release will be wildly successful.

Bartholomew
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Do want. o.o

Perks
07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Wow! She's amazing. That looks really good.

Kitty Pryde
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Definitely going to see it in Nashville, and I'm happy to see that it'll be playing in New Orleans and Memphis. I really, really wish that people in Mississippi and Arkansas - people in the delta - had better opportunities to see the film.

Hopefully it'll make a fortune and the DVD release will be wildly successful.

This weekend on 4 screens it made $160,000, which I am given to understand is quite good. If it keeps doing well, it might get a larger release after its initial tour. It also won some fancy film festival award which helps a lot.

nighttimer
07-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Ok, I got to see it today. It blew my freaking mind. Seriously. Dazzling, amazing, wondrous, impossible to look away. I felt bad for crying so much, but my (guy) friend said he started crying during the opening credits and did not slow down throughout. It's incredibly powerful. And, despite all the crying, it's not really a downer. It's funny and joyous and the thing that really broke me down was so much courage in the face of maximum adversity. Incredible acting, and profound use of myth and not so veiled allegory. It's in my top three favorite movies for sure. If you live in a city, it's playing near you. Beastsofthesouthernwild.com GO SEE IT FOR REALS.

What? And miss Madea's Witness Protection? :sarcasm

Kitty Pryde
07-07-2012, 09:13 AM
What? And miss Madea's Witness Protection? :sarcasm

:cry:

JSSchley
07-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I heard an interview with the director of this movie on NPR and I immediately raced home to find the trailer.

It sounds utterly fantastic. And I didn't see Where the Wild Things Are, but I was led by the interview to believe there's a lot more to this film than that. That yes, the mythical beasts are treated as real because when you're six, everything is real, whether it's really real or not, but that it's also very much the story of the community surrounding the little girl and how she experiences it.

Needless to say, it is on my "must-sees." Hope it gets here soon.

Here's the link to the All Things Considered review I heard: http://www.npr.org/2012/06/27/155851878/beasts-finds-its-heart-in-a-6-year-old-heroine

thebloodfiend
07-07-2012, 11:30 PM
I saw Where the Wild Things Are. It was interesting, yet boring. I doubt this movie will ever come to ABQ, but I'll make an effort to see it if it does.

As for Madea's Witness Protection? Well, I don't like TP's movies, but they make for mindless entertainment when I'm bored. Kind of like watching car crashes or playing Mortal Kombat, only offensive to my intelligence.

BigWords
07-08-2012, 02:33 AM
That yes, the mythical beasts are treated as real because when you're six, everything is real, whether it's really real or not, but that it's also very much the story of the community surrounding the little girl and how she experiences it.

My niece isn't six yet, and she rolls her eyes at me when I do the voices for her stuffed toys, normally followed closely by being called an idiot...

The film is on my "to watch" list - ridiculously long as it is without getting more titles to add to it.

maxmordon
07-08-2012, 07:10 AM
My niece isn't six yet, and she rolls her eyes at me when I do the voices for her stuffed toys, normally followed closely by being called an idiot...

The film is on my "to watch" list - ridiculously long as it is without getting more titles to add to it.

It varies from age to age. My 8 years old sister still have problems understanding that things on TV are real or not.

JSSchley
07-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Sorry, should've attributed better. That's not my opinion and/or sweeping statement about six-year-olds. That was the director's quote as his reasoning for the way the monsters appear. They're real to the MC, so they get played as real on screen.

I was very intrigued by some of the things the director had to say about how they let Quevenzhanae's mindset drive the way they chose to portray things. You pick the brain of a little kid to portray a little kid...very cool.

BigWords
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
It varies from age to age. My 8 years old sister still have problems understanding that things on TV are real or not.

Y'know, just when I think "ah, this is where the bell curve sits, and this is where Zoe is on it," I get all kinds of other information and have to go away and think about it more. I'll leave this at "all children are individuals, and as individuals they shouldn't be understood with check boxes and statistics"...

That was the director's quote as his reasoning for the way the monsters appear.

Fair comment then. All of the thinking which goes into films is fascinating, and as this seems to be a particularly interesting film the more background revealed about the process will probably help me when I come to watch it.

little_e
07-09-2012, 12:22 PM

My 4 yr old says, "It's just a toy, Momma. It can't feel sad."

Spy_on_the_Inside
07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Want to see so bad! Makes me sad I live in rural Minnesota where the good movies never come!

Celia Cyanide
07-16-2012, 05:01 AM
Wow. That looks amazing. And the little girl looks like a great little actress.

missesdash
07-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Oh yes this ^_^. I have a soft spot for narrative films with kids (can you tell I write YA?). I can't wait to see it.

Jcomp
07-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Got around to seeing it last night. A bit uneven, but I suspect I might like it better with a second viewing, because once the climax and ending rolled around and I fully understood what the movie was going for, it gelled with me and I enjoyed it. The little girl is pretty decent in this, but the man playing her father did very well, I thought. It's a different kind of flick and story, but worth a look.