PDA

View Full Version : Private School

Mustafa
05-04-2012, 02:40 AM
I have a private school in one of my WIP's and I have one person, who is not a teacher, but who is basically the principal ... ish. He's almost never there, but he is in charge when he is. There is a Head Mistress, who runs the place most of the time, but I can't think of a title for the main guy. Do private schools have deans?

alleycat
05-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Maybe . . . chairman or president of the board of trustees. There might also be an executive director.

mirandashell
05-04-2012, 04:01 PM
What country is this in?

Mustafa
05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
What country is this in?

Canada, so it would be fine if it had US or English terminology

mirandashell
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Ah right.

It really helps when we know which of the many countries on the planet we are talking about.

buz
05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
The top position at the school I worked at was just "Head of School". But there were Deans (Dean of Admissions, Dean of Academics, Dean of Student Life etc) too.

shadowwalker
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
My son's Catholic school had a principal (your Head Mistress position); each of the schools did, but the principals reported to the school Administrator. The Admin's word was law. (It's basically the same with the public school system here.) The Admin reported to the School Board, which was elected (again, both public and private).

waylander
05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Warden or Provost

LJD
05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I went to a private school in Toronto for my last two years of high school. We just had a principal and two vice-principals. Note that it was not a boarding school though (is yours?).

There was a board of directors, which was mainly composed of alumni, and I think the principal reported to the board of directors, but as a student, I didn't know much about these people at all. I couldn't tell you the name of the chair of the board. It was really the principal running the show.

You can look up various Canadian private schools online. They generally have a website with a page on their administrators...

Dave Hardy
05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
We had deans at my school. They tended to have admin/discipline functions in addition to teaching classes. The headmaster was the senior position.

VanessaNorth
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
We had headmaster/mistress and deans. (all-girls school in New England)