Proper Pronunciation of Mythical Names?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Or, how would an actual Greek person pronounce the name "Eurydice?" As opposed to a dumb American lay person, like me? I've been saying it "your-ree-DEE-chee" and I'm not at all sure that's correct...

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thank you, that's helpful, but how would a Greek person say it? I'm looking for an accent here.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A modern Greek or an ancient Greek? The Greek language has changed very greatly over time.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
An approximate phonetic transliteration from My Homeric Greek dictionary has it more or less as eu-ru-di-kay ( the i is short, the ay is meant to mean long a as in age). Also the emphasis is on the i. These days that's done as stress, but at the time it would have been more sung than stressed.

I hope this helps, but someone with more linguistic knowledge can certainly do better.

Sofie

Registered
Reaction score
Just to add another pronunciation possibility into the mix, in my native Swedish it would be ev-ruh-DEE-kuh. I believe (not a hundred percent certain) that the 'eu' is pronounced 'ev' or 'ef' in modern Greek, too.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
A modern Greek or an ancient Greek? The Greek language has changed very greatly over time.

An ancient Greek living in modern times. To be even more confusing. Basically, I have a character who's a reincarnated version of Orpheus and I'm trying to figure out how he'd say her name.

Thanks for all the input, guys! :) I'm probably agonizing over this more than I need to, but it's one of those infuriating details that I'm worried someone will call me out on if I don't get it right.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What difference does it make whether or not I know exactly how he pronounced whatever it was he said, so long as I know that what he said (the bit in English that I read) he said in whatever language he used - if the person to whom he is speaking even knows that.

It's not the phonetical pronunciation that's important.

Everything depends on your POV character's knowledge and perception.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Or, how would an actual Greek person pronounce the name "Eurydice?" As opposed to a dumb American lay person, like me? I've been saying it "your-ree-DEE-chee" and I'm not at all sure that's correct...

I studied ancient Greek as an undergrad, and Latin extensively before hand, and we were always taught that it was 'you-rid-is-ee'

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I studied ancient Greek as an undergrad, and Latin extensively before hand, and we were always taught that it was 'you-rid-is-ee'

You were taught to pronounce the kappa in epsilon-upsilon-rho-upsilon-delta-iota-kappa-eta as an s sound? I've never seen that pronunciation in any ancient Greek word. As far as I know Eurydice turned soft by transliteration problems

Kappa to C to soft C.

But in less I'm seriously mistaken kappa in ancient Greek was always a hard k sound.