PDA

View Full Version : Need Gift Ideas.

pconsidine
12-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Okay, I need some of the ladies out there to help save my bacon. Here's the deal:

My wife is about to turn 30 in a week and she's not exactly handling it with grace. Originally, I was going to get her a digital camera for her birthday, but I've had second thoughts and now I'm worried that if I do that, it would be like getting her a table saw for her anniversary.

I'm on a bit of a budget, so things like diamonds would be a stretch (not that I wouldn't give it a damn good try all the same).

So ladies - what's the perfect gift?

Jaycinth
12-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Write her a book. Yeah, I know. Get some nice paper...a parchment with some kind of border. Get 100 sheets. On each sheet Write " I Love You because..." then give the reason. If you have photos, memorbilia like a dried flower from the wedding attach then to some of the pages. Make a cover..."100 Reasons Why I Love You More Each Day" Make it pretty. The bind it by punching holes inthe pages and threading a silk ribbon with a nice trim through the holes then tie it off in a bow. Wake her up with a kiss, then hand it to her.

You may also want to buy a bottle of champagne, and arrange a nice dinner out.

You are an exceptionally nice guy, Most men would give the table saw!

Unique
12-31-2005, 12:24 AM
when i saw Jaycinth's name....ooboy...anyway.

I concur. A nice dinner out, simple flowers, and something handwritten and lovely, that would mean a lot to me.

(but remember - that's the opinion of Jaycinth & Unique - maybe some normal people should chime in here)

Cathy C
12-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Well, I gave something to a friend of mine on a "divisable-by-ten" birthday and she thought it was the best thing she'd ever received. Create a "spa" package.

Go to Bed, Bath & Beyond or Body Works or any of those bath places, and buy a few of the following:

Fluffy white robe

Fluffy white slippers

Bits and pieces of a variety of scents that YOU like in oils, salts, soaps and lotions. Don't buy the big bottles, just the little sample sizes. Tell her that "I smelled them all and thought these would smell TERRIFIC on you!"

Loofa sponge that can reach her back (some have a strap or a handle)

Inexpensive pedicure set (clippers, emery board, etc.) from Walgreen's or WalMart.

Buy a basket with a handle at WalMart or Hobby Lobby and put everything inside.

Then create the TIME for her to use it. If you have kids, take them out for pizza some evening so she's got the house to herself.

Bet she'll love it, because she'll know how much time it took for you to put it together! :D

mdin
12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Buy her a walker. She'll think it's hilarious.

LieselGarmach
12-31-2005, 12:58 AM
To go along with Cathy C's idea, you can do a foot and hand treatment for her yourself at home, inexpensively, and everything is available at a local supermarket.

You'll need:

**a small tub of lard (yes, the fatty stuff we're not supposed to cook in because it's bad for our health!)
**sugar (about 2 cups or so)
**plain hand soap (antibacterial is okay)
**any hand lotion, scented or not
**2 large bowls, one filled with warm water (refill after the hands or feet so you have fresh for the other one if you do both the hands or both the feet)
**a plastic cup, soup ladle, or small plastic bowl such as an empty margarine container or yogurt container
**a towel

Have her take off her shoes/socks
1. Rub her feet with lard. You don't need very much, but you want enough to coat the entire foot. it's messy. it feels gross.
2. Without removing the lard, put about 1/4 cup of sugar in your hand (you don't have to measure - just get a handful of sugar!) and rub the sugar into the lard. This exfoliates the skin.
3. Without removing the lard/sugar mixture, soap up her feet with the soap. This is the messiest part of the whole process.
4. Put her feet over the empty bowl. Using the cup or ladle, rinse off her feet. This may take a bit of time, and yes, you can rub them while you're rinsing to speed up the process.
5. Pat the feet dry, but don't rub them dry.
6. Smooth lotion into feet.

If you want to take it further, you could offer to file down her toenails and polish them. If she likes pedicures, she'll think it's sweet. If she doesn't, you may want to skip that.

Repeat the process for the hands.

And yes, it's ok to practice on yourself first.

PeeDee
12-31-2005, 01:01 AM
No, no, no, so far the normal people are all in agreement: get her a walker.

pconsidine
12-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Buy her a walker. She'll think it's hilarious.
You're single, aren't you? ;)

Peggy
12-31-2005, 01:17 AM
I may have to point my husband to this thread the next time he asks what I'd like for my birthday. :)

scarletpeaches
12-31-2005, 01:20 AM
A vibrator and a bottle of JD.

Or is that just me?

NeuroFizz
12-31-2005, 01:53 AM
[Spoken in my best female pitch] You could dub a CD of her favorite songs. If she has different groups of songs for different moods, you could dub multiple CDs. Not expensive, but time intensive.

[Back to normal voice] To SP, Won't the vibrator be jealous of the bottle and vice versa?

scarletpeaches
12-31-2005, 02:03 AM
One's for drinking and one's for...err...decoration. :D

maestrowork
12-31-2005, 02:17 AM
A wonder bra

Depends

------

Seriously, how about an appointment at the Spa (facial, massage, body wrap, and a makeover)? I also like the white terrycloth robe idea. Pamper her (even by yourself or at a spa) and she would be very happy.

scarletpeaches
12-31-2005, 02:21 AM
Gift coupons you've written, saying she can cash them in for 'special treats' whenever she chooses. ;)

pconsidine
12-31-2005, 02:38 AM
A vibrator and a bottle of JD.

Or is that just me?No repeats, Scarlet. We covered those some time ago.

Maryn
12-31-2005, 03:10 AM
When I struggle with a birthday, what I need is any gift that assures me that Mr. Maryn continues to consider me hot stuff. Anything that contributes to your wife's feeling that she's beautiful and deserves pampering is good.

I know from another site I frequent that even hard-headed, utterly practical women who asked for a new vaccuum cleaner for a birthday are floored by cheap sentimental gestures like a candlelit bubble bath waiting for her, rose petals on the freshly-changed bed, a bundle of firewood with a bottle of wine and two glasses, and similar gestures. (Funny, the big can of Crisco and last week's sheets just doesn't have the same effect...) Bonus points if you tidy up the rose petals in the morning.

Maryn, hard-headed and practical

Pat~
12-31-2005, 03:34 AM
For a zero-ending birthday, definitely go the impractical, pampering route. Not sure if this would work for you, but if you have access to frequent-flyer miles it might...for my 30th birthday, my husband 'kidnapped' me from work, drove me to the (Dallas) airport and we flew to Chicago for dinner. (I didn't know where we were going until we got to the gate.) It was at Christmastime, the city was decorated beautifully, it started snowing, and best of all he'd arranged for my sister and her husband to meet us there. (Smart guy even thought to bring my winter coat!)

kathompson
12-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Sheesh, for me the digital camera would be the perfect gift, especially if it happened to be a digital SLR...

WVWriterGirl
12-31-2005, 09:45 AM
These days, you can buy semi-precious stones fairly cheaply, and I'm perfectly ok with getting a pair of garnet earrings or a created ruby pendant. My husband surprised me with a pair of created-ruby earrings a few years ago for Christmas. Several months later I finally got the cost of them out of him - they were about $75.00. He told me he wanted to buy this huge cocktail ring for me (he doesn't know much about my taste in jewelry) but he couldn't afford it - he said he loved the way I look in red, and thought the rubies would enhance my beauty. They're technically not "real", but they're my most treasured possession.

threedogpeople
01-01-2006, 12:06 AM
My favorite gift to give or receive is something we call "appreciation night".

Start with an intimate dinner either out or at home. Then, when you get home...

You'll need candles, bath salts, nice soap, massage oil (or lotion), her favorite alcoholic beverage, soft music, a warm house (turn up the heat), put a bath towel in dryer (so it is warm), flowers, and a mushy birthday card.

Start with the card..tell her that you are in charge for the rest of the evening and that her only responsibility is to relax and enjoy herself. Give her a glass of wine to drink while you undress her (she's not supposed to help!).

In a candle lit bathroom with soft music playing, bathe her from head to toe. Leave her soaking while you get the warm towel - dry her off. Take her to the flower decorated, candle lit bedroom and massage her from head to toe. If this results in any ummm, urrrrr "romantic" results remind her that she's not supposed to help. Your job is to serve her! If you want to include a gift, give her something to remind her of the evening.

pconsidine
01-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Okay - I've decided on what to get:

First, I am going to get her the digital camera. Something cheap, but that will do for now.

Second, I'm going to get her a really nice fake diamond necklace. I'm not going to lie or anything and tell her it's real, but it will be nice and sparkly and will look really nice all the same.

Then, we're going to go out and have fancy dinner, followed by drinking to excess.

I figure that ought to cover everything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They've all been filed away for future reference.

pconsidine
01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Just wanted to give y'all an update -

The necklace went over well.

The camera, not so much. Hopefully it will be good enough until we can save up a little money and get a real one.

Some day, I'll get it 100% right. :)

PeeDee
01-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Nuts, I wasn't in time to suggest a Male Asian Lover. Oh well. There's one of these pesky birthdays every year!

threedogpeople
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Tell your wife Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns!