PDA

View Full Version : [Display site] Pitch Your Work

PVish
05-03-2012, 01:17 AM
I assume this (http://www.pitchyourwork.com) is another YADS site. From their home page:
Our mission is twofold.

To offer a central location for authors and screenwriters to Pitch Your Work via the Internet to agents, producers, editors and other industry executives to whom you might otherwise not have access.

To offer a central location for agents, producers, editors and other industry executives to quickly review the works of new aspiring authors and screenwriters--whose work is as yet unknown--or that of seasoned authors and screenwriters who are seeking to make a change.

I'd like some concise info about why this is a bad idea to relay back to the Facebook friend who posted a link to the site.

James D. Macdonald
05-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Because, despite twenty years of various folks trying, that trick has yet to work.

Why publishers can't buy works from a display site: The works haven't been submitted to them.

Why agents aren't going to go to a display site: Their desks are already stacked feet-deep in manuscripts that were sent to them by name. They don't need to trawl the Internet for more slush.

The only possible advantage to authors in display sites is this: They will never get a rejection letter. If that's their goal, the only better method is leaving the manuscript in their desk drawer.

These bozos recommend that authors who use their service copyright their works with the LOC.

Don't do that. Just don't. It's totally unprofessional.

And -- they charge $60 and up. In the great gray area between Very Bad Idea and Outright Scam, that moves the needle a little farther to the left.

areteus
05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
It's a model I have seen used in employment - many job sites offer this very service (where your cv is made available to employers to view and potentially call you up to offer a job). It doesn't there either. I have never had a call from a bonafide employer from one of those sites. Lots of calls from agencies looking to boost their intake of new clients but none from actual employers who want to give me money to work for them.

As James says above, publishers and agents (like employers) are in a position of power. You have to go to them, they are not going to bother coming to look for you. You are better off doing some internet research, finding appropriate agents and publishers and sending them all an e-mail with your pitch in it or manuscript or whatever. It may take them a while to get to it but they will eventually get to it and they will get to it long before they ever consider actively trawling websites (or self published novels or blogs or anywhere) for 'new talent'.

PYWork
05-15-2012, 09:10 PM
PVish - Unfortunately you have been grossly misinformed by JD McDonald and areteus. Their advice is old school, irrelevant, and your work(s) should definitely be copyrighted. This is the digital age, get with it!

I happen to know for a fact that film industry heads have visited and have promoted the www.pitchyourwork.com (http://www.pitchyourwork.com/) website; AND, one in particular, has listened to EVERY Audio "Pitch" and watched EVERY “Movie Trailer” that is currently on the www.pitchyourwork.com (http://www.pitchyourwork.com/) website.

Gads, what is a “YADS”?

James D. Macdonald
05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
YADS = Yet Another Display Site.

Hello, PYWork (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=61756). When do you plan to go out of business? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Momento Mori
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
PYWork:
Their advice is old school, irrelevant, and your work(s) should definitely be copyrighted.

Really? How does the advice of a UK qualified lawyer grab you? You don't need to copyright your work. Registration is only effective for the purposes of evidencing ownership of a published work. You can equally evidence ownership through keeping records of your drafts.

PYWork:
This is the digital age, get with it!

Some of us like writing in cuniform on clay tablets ...

PYWork:
I happen to know for a fact that film industry heads have visited and have promoted the www.pitchyourwork.com website

Cool. Who? Where? When?

PYWork:
AND, one in particular, has listened to EVERY Audio "Pitch" and watched EVERY “Movie Trailer” that is currently on the www.pitchyourwork.com website.

I'm like that with LOLcat pictures.

Did this film industry head end up acquiring anything as a result of their electronic sojourn on your site?

PYWork:
Gads, what is a “YADS”?

Yet Another Display Site. But surely you know that, given that you're all about the digital age and all ...

MM

Medievalist
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]PVish - Unfortunately you have been grossly misinformed by JD McDonald and areteus. Their advice is old school, irrelevant, and your work(s) should definitely be copyrighted.

Really.

What do you know about it? Are you an attorney? Because your language suggests you don't know what you're talking about.

All works have copyright ab initio.

Do you have any professional experience in publishing?

What specific expertise do you have?

Are you here for any other reason than to pimp your display site?

Because that's not gonna fly. We're not a free ad agency.

James D. Macdonald
05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Seriously, PYWork, what's your name? What's your background in publishing? What are you doing to keep your business from turning into an outright scam?

PYWork
05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
When do you plan to go out of business? I Don’t.

How does the advice of a UK qualified lawyer grab you? Does’nt grab me at all. You don't need to copyright your work. Registration is only effective for the purposes of evidencing ownership of a published work. You can equally evidence ownership through keeping records of your drafts. DUH, I think about everyone knows that. But, unfortunately there are people out there who are paranoid and feel safer with their works(s) being formerly copyrighted.

Some of us like writing in cuniform on clay tablets ... Apparently!

Did this film industry head end up acquiring anything as a result of their electronic sojourn on your site? Yes, Talks are in the works. BUT, that is between those two parties and NOT the PYW. PYW does not get involved nor get paid anything for what goes on between the two parties. PYW main purpose is to make the Connections for Authors, Screenwriters, and the Film Industry via the PYW website. PYW only knows of such talks IF any of the parties care to share their feedback from having their work(s) displayed on the PYW website.

Are you here for any other reason than to pimp your display site? I am not “pimping” the PYW website here, apparently you all are! I am simply setting the misinformation that you all are talking about straight. IF you don’t like the PYW website, fine, don’t participate, that is your choice… nobody is forcing you to.

James D. Macdonald
05-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Listen up, PYWork:

The path you're on has two branches. I don't know...yet... which one you're going to walk down, but I do know that you'll walk down one of them.

Either PitchYourWork will turn into an out-and-out scam, or it will go out of business entirely. The fact that you're charging money right out of the gate means that you're more likely to take the left-hand path.

So someone sleeps better at night knowing that their work has been copyrighted? It's up to you to explain to them that they shouldn't. If you don't know why that is you have no business hanging out your shingle. You certainly shouldn't be advising folks to copyright their works right on your webpage. You might as well hang up a scarlet banner with the words "I'm Incompetent" embroidered on it in gold thread.

Okay, the dead pool is now open. I'm putting down my marker for August, 2013.

Calla Lily
05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
One calendar year from now: May 15, 2013.

Based partially on posts here and partially on the grammatical errors on their home page. A YADS owner's posts here, and their site wishing to lure writers, should be professional and error-free. Those are the pebbles in the shoe.

Gravity
05-15-2012, 11:03 PM
:popcorn: I'm happy to share, but don't bogart the butter.

Momento Mori
05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
PYWork:
Does’nt grab me at all.

Shocker. You and appropriately qualified legal advice do seem to be complete strangers.

PYWork:
DUH, I think about everyone knows that. But, unfortunately there are people out there who are paranoid and feel safer with their works(s) being formerly copyrighted.

Well if you knew that why did you say earlier that "your work(s) should definitely be copyrighted"? The fact that your work is automatically subject to copyright at the point of creation suggests that, duh, you didn't actually know that. But now you do. So that's okay.

PYWork:
Apparently!

Ah, I see. You're a stranger to irony as well. Quelle surprise.

PYWork:
Yes, Talks are in the works. BUT, that is between those two parties and NOT the PYW. PYW does not get involved nor get paid anything for what goes on between the two parties. PYW main purpose is to make the Connections for Authors, Screenwriters, and the Film Industry via the PYW website. PYW only knows of such talks IF any of the parties care to share their feedback from having their work(s) displayed on the PYW website.

If that's between the two parties, then why are you talking about talks on a website before they have concluded? Have you been specifically authorised to discuss details - even on a no names basis?

Also, I asked you which studio heads have visited and promoted your website? This can't be confidential information because if they're promoting your website then the information is in the public domain.

PYWork:
I am simply setting the misinformation that you all are talking about straight.

Oh and you are doing a spectacular job of that. Seriously, I know that my opinion has completely changed as a result of your oh-so-professional communication skills and legal comprehension.

MM

veinglory
05-15-2012, 11:28 PM
But, unfortunately there are people out there who are paranoid and feel safer with their works(s) being formerly copyrighted.

Formerly or formally? The latter would make more sense, although still be technically incorrect.

herdon
05-16-2012, 01:42 AM
You might as well hang up a scarlet banner with the words "I'm Incompetent" embroidered on it in gold thread.

And here I thought starting a display site implied that banner already.

PYWork
05-16-2012, 01:59 AM
PYW does NOT give “Legal Advice”. If you had read the “Note to Visitors”, and/or the “Submission Requirements”, you would have known that. You obviously do not have much experience with screen writers; otherwise you would understand the paranoia I speak of. Additionally, PYW is NOT about “Publishing”, it is about “Marketing”.

As for charging a fee to have a Work Product displayed, yes it is $60 for 6 months – or - $85 for 6 months, IF PYW has to do the MP3 Audio recording. I have been told that is TOO cheap, but have decided not to increase it at this time. I have also been told to sell Sponsor Advertising, but I do NOT want to do that at this time either.

And, as I have stated before, IF you don’t like the PYW website, fine, don’t participate, that is your choice… nobody is forcing you…

IF you have some constructive criticism that will increase the PYW goal of connecting authors, screenwriters, and the film industry, then I would be glad to hear about it, otherwise, it is a moot point in discussing anything further.

James D. Macdonald
05-16-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm guessing -- just guessing now, based on seeing entirely too many display sites crop up over the past couple of decades -- that what we have here is a programmer somewhere who doesn't know the first thing about writing or publishing looking at publishing from the outside and saying, "Oh, it's all so inefficient! I could write a database that'll fix the entire system!"

That's what happens when you have someone who doesn't know what the system even is trying to "fix" it.

This one will go the same way as all the others.

Stijn Hommes
05-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Yes, you could try to register copyright to your work, but why bother when a publisher will do it for you when you sell them the manuscript?

By the way, a manuscript display site has another disadvantage. Once you post your work, it's there for everyone to see. Bye bye first rights -- the rights a publisher wants to have.

veinglory
05-16-2012, 03:02 AM
I think 'statistically speaking this endeavor is almost certain to fail' is much more constructive than saying nothing. Especially for novice authors who might otherwise invest in an essentially worthless service.

Parametric
05-16-2012, 03:04 AM
I hate "scare" "quotes". With a "passion".

Gravity
05-16-2012, 03:19 AM
And so another hapless YADS, wings riddled with shrapnel and engine flaming, its twisted fuselage trailing black, oily smoke, augers its way from on high into a cold and uncaring sea ...

BenPanced
05-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Coming soon: yor awl jelose loosers.

K_Woods
05-16-2012, 04:06 AM
And so another hapless YADS, wings riddled with shrapnel and engine flaming, its twisted fuselage trailing black, oily smoke, augers its way from on high into a cold and uncaring sea ...

And the only thing missing is a Wilhelm scream.

HapiSofi
05-16-2012, 05:42 AM
PVish - Unfortunately you have been grossly misinformed by JD McDonald and areteus.

I don't know all that much about Areteus, but Jim Macdonald (the guy "Yog's Law" is named for) definitely knows what he's talking about. So does the rest of the thread. Display sites are the bad idea that people inexplicably keep having. YADS have been reliable failures for many years now. Absolute Write has been one of the sites that's tracked them.

Their advice is old school, irrelevant, and your work(s) should definitely be copyrighted.

If, as you later explained, you actually meant "Your works should be copyrighted because it'll make you feel ever so much more warm and fuzzy and secure," you should have said so the first time around.

This is the digital age, get with it!

Are you kidding? The digital age arrived when your mother was still in school.

I happen to know for a fact that film industry heads have visited and have promoted the www.pitchyourwork.com (http://www.pitchyourwork.com/) website;

I happen to know that they haven't. They're very busy people, and they're already comprehensively ignoring dozens of better-designed and longer-established YADS. The only thing that could get them to visit PYW would be credible evidence that PYW has kidnapped their dependents and is holding them hostage.

AND, one in particular, has listened to EVERY Audio "Pitch" and watched EVERY “Movie Trailer” that is currently on the website.

That would require credible evidence of kidnapping, plus major, major drugs -- or pathological grandiosity on the part of the person reporting it.

Frankly, I think you're mentally unbalanced, and I doubt I'm the first to tell you so.

HapiSofi
05-16-2012, 06:05 AM
[FONT=Times New Roman]PYW does NOT give “Legal Advice”. If you had read the “Note to Visitors”, and/or the “Submission Requirements”, you would have known that. You obviously do not have much experience with screen writers;

I have more experience with them than you do.

otherwise you would understand the paranoia I speak of.

The change in international copyright law that automatically gives creators their copyrights from day one has been in place for some years now. Unless you're using old examples, the horror stories you've heard about Hollywood will have happened to writers who already held copyright on their works.

Additionally, PYW is NOT about “Publishing”, it is about “Marketing”.

Thank you for so thoroughly and succinctly demonstrating that you know nothing about publishing, and should not be starting a business that solicits the use of other people's work.

As for charging a fee to have a Work Product displayed, yes it is $60 for 6 months – or -- $85 for 6 months, IF PYW has to do the MP3 Audio recording. I have been told that is TOO cheap, but have decided not to increase it at this time. I have also been told to sell Sponsor Advertising, but I do NOT want to do that at this time either.

I don't care how much you're charging. You still have no experience and not idea what you're doing. It is completely inappropriate for other writers to entrust their work and their hopes to you.

And, as I have stated before, IF you don’t like the PYW website, fine, don’t participate, that is your choice… nobody is forcing you…

Discussing publishing-related websites is one of the things this forum is about. We think poorly of yours. Deal with it.

IF you have some constructive criticism that will increase the PYW goal of connecting authors, screenwriters, and the film industry, then I would be glad to hear about it, otherwise, it is a moot point in discussing anything further.

This is constructive criticism. Your basic idea is unworkable. There's no advice on earth or in heaven that can make it viable. You can believe us or not, but if you keep pursuing this business plan, you will fail, and that's all there is to it.

Unimportant
05-16-2012, 08:14 AM
See, this isn't a forum where we further the goals of any particular publisher or agent or display site. This is a forum where authors and industry professionals further the goals of authors. So the advice and constructive criticism provided in this particular thread is directed to authors about PYW, not to PYW about how to improve its business.

And the consensus I'm seeing here is that authors should avoid PYW. Good enough for me.

Although, as a bonus, many industry professionals have been kind and generous enough to also provide advice to you, PYW. You'd be advised to take it.

Momento Mori
05-17-2012, 12:30 AM
PYWork:
PYW does NOT give “Legal Advice”. If you had read the “Note to Visitors”, and/or the “Submission Requirements”, you would have known that.

I was basing my response on the inaccurate statements that you made about copyright law and its operation here. But since you ask, I did read your Submission Requirements and your Mission Statement and sadly, the same misguided, pig ignorant shit about copyright law is replicated there.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Pitch Your Work Website:
All works submitted to this website---PitchYourWork.com---are automatically copyrighted under international agreement.

This is a misleading statement. The act of submission to your website does not serve to copyright work. It may work to evidence creation, but copyright (as we all now know) exists at the moment of creation.

The fact that you then go on to say:

Pitch Your Work Website:
No foolproof method exists that guarantees an idea or work product can not be stolen. We recommend that authors avail themselves of one or both of the two avenues listed above, but this is merely a suggestion and is not to be construed as instruction nor legal advice.

does not automatically render that first statement bollocks. To put it another way, to say something that's crap and then recommend that someone go and ask and expert so that they can find out for themselves that your statement is crap, does not negate the crapness of that statement.

So remind me of the point that you were trying to make again?

PYWork:
You obviously do not have much experience with screen writers; otherwise you would understand the paranoia I speak of.

Oh, I do understand the misguided paranoia that some writers have about theft of their work. That usually goes away with experience.

What interests me more though is that your website seems to go out of its way to play on that paranoia by recommending legal registration when none is needed.

PYWork:
As for charging a fee to have a Work Product displayed, yes it is $60 for 6 months – or - $85 for 6 months, IF PYW has to do the MP3 Audio recording. I have been told that is TOO cheap, but have decided not to increase it at this time. I have also been told to sell Sponsor Advertising, but I do NOT want to do that at this time either.

If film industry people check out your site, why doesn't it mention who those executives are? Why doesn't it specify which production companies are signed up to use your site? What guarantee do people have that by paying your ludicrous fee, someone actually worth while will read their script?

PYWork:

And as posters here have stated before, AW doesn't exist for the benefit of misguided fools seeking to make a quick buck from the ignorant. It exists so that people can find out information about authorial services of dubious merit. Hopefully if your shoddy, poorly designed site doesn't put them off then your unprofessional, ridiculous, troll bait posts here will do the job.

PYWork:

Well there's clearly no point in you discussing things here any further because, let's face it, you're not really interested in discussing anything and we've all seen through your dubious facts.

Ta ta. Don't let the door hit you on the ass when you leave.

MM

PYWork
05-17-2012, 04:22 AM
http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.absolutewrite.com# (http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.absolutewrite.com)

http://www.revark.com/review/Absolute_Write/AW1676850339760 (http://www.revark.com/review/Absolute_Write/AW1676850339760)

PYWork
05-17-2012, 04:24 AM
http://fliterary.blogspot.com/ (http://fliterary.blogspot.com/)

http://www.inktip.com/ (http://www.inktip.com/)

Manuel Royal
05-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Aaaahhhh, the links below explain Soooo Much!

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.absolutewrite.com# (http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.absolutewrite.com)

http://www.revark.com/review/Absolute_Write/AW1676850339760 (http://www.revark.com/review/Absolute_Write/AW1676850339760)
Well, no. But the fact that you think so demonstrates, a little more sharply than before, just how bad you are at that logic thing.

As it happens, there's some truth to the complaints made in that second link. As it also happens, that has zero to do with: the conduct of this thread; the fact that James MacDonald and others here know a hell of a lot more about how publishing actually works than you do; and your string of inconsistent and/or hard-to-believe statements.

You embarrass yourself.

veinglory
05-17-2012, 05:06 AM
...But also show your true colors to potential customers. Are we Googling better than the actual site yet?

MacAllister
05-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Imagine that! People who've been banned for abusive behavior saying nasty things about AW's moderation elseWeb.

I'm shocked, shocked!

And Manuel, I know you and I have certainly had our differences, but if I was really such a petty bully as all of that, don't you think you'd have been long gone?

AW Admin
05-17-2012, 05:16 AM
For the curious, the YADS that PYWord was pimping for:
http://www.pitchyourwork.com/

Has a copyright statement, just after the delightful references to "work products":

Copyright Mary D. Scott

With a URL: http://www.spiritdrivenevents.com/

And with a little Googling
eventually: to http://www.qatinc.org/

In short they know nothing about scripts, or publishing, or copyright, they're YADS, and they can't even pimp their OWN works satisfactorily.

thothguard51
05-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Well, it seems Mary's Spirit events didn't see the quality control issues with the Pitch in this case...

BenPanced
05-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Imagine that! People who've been banned for abusive behavior saying nasty things about AW's moderation elseWeb.

I'm shocked, shocked!

And Manuel, I know you and I have certainly had our differences, but if I was really such a petty bully as all of that, don't you think you'd have been long gone?

You're like a cat. You play with your prey before you kill it.

Soccer Mom
05-17-2012, 06:00 AM
<---Come a little closer to Mittens and say that, Benny.

Manuel Royal
05-17-2012, 06:27 AM
And Manuel, I know you and I have certainly had our differences, but if I was really such a petty bully as all of that, don't you think you'd have been long gone?Irrelevant to this thread. PYWork (who has still not identified his/herself, as a professional might have) has followed up a series of (to put it mildly) doubtful statements with an ad hominem attack that's also a red herring. Or some kind of herring. I'm tired.

Point is, this thread has been full of useful information presented by knowledgeable people. Not that we didn't already have a lot of threads about display sites, but PYWork has made this one special.

Worth noting: there are several display sites that don't charge a fee, and are definitely not money-making scams run by blustering incompetents -- but also are not likely to be a springboard to book publishing and/or screenplay-optioning success. That's my limited understanding of the subject.

James D. Macdonald
05-17-2012, 06:41 AM

You just keep thinking that.

Reality is still going to win.

Friendly Frog
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
More about you than about AW, actually. Those last two posts on revark are yours, aren't they? The timing kind of gives it away.

Classy.

[EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice PyWork was banned. Would have avoided piling on.]

herdon
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Am I the only one who would be disappointed if this place *didn't* have bad reviews across the web? Heck, between Tate Publishing and PA, you'd think there'd be an official anti-AW fan club. It's simply what happens when you expose people that are trying to rip other people off.

Medievalist
05-17-2012, 08:22 PM
There are over 40 thousand active members.

You can't please everybody.

thothguard51
05-17-2012, 10:22 PM
There are over 40 thousand active members.

You can't please everybody.

If I learned some new tricks for lap dances, I might be able to cut down the numbers of unsatisfied members...

Hmmm, let me think...

HapiSofi
05-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Fool. Any large, well-moderated site is going to generate some indignant ex-users who will, at the drop of a hat, denounce the mods as power-mad fascist bullyboys with no respect for the First Amendment or Freedom of Speech, and furthermore they were unfairly singled out, so there!

As others have said, it would be more remarkable if there weren't denunciations of AW scattered across the web. PYW didn't even find the good stuff.

BenPanced
05-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Considering there are less than 50 unfavorable posts between those two boards in relation to the size of AW as a whole? Those aren't numbers even worth worrying about.

Manuel Royal
05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
In general, I'm often impressed with how smoothly discussions on AW go, even when there are deep disagreements. A few years ago, I used to post on a large general-interest message board that went through something like a Stalinist purge combined with a trainwreck. (Not an ordinary trainwreck, but one where the train somehow loops around and rams into its own caboose.)

It helps, surely, that most of the members share strong common interests with each other and with the board management; strong enough to overcome personality conflicts.

Oddly, this thread has gotten me interested in display sites. There must be some that work. Maybe not in the sense of being a launchpad for stellar careers, but at least as a sort of practice ground. On the other hand, we've already got that here (and in other writers' message boards that have something like SYW), and without having to pay fees.

Medievalist
05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Oddly, this thread has gotten me interested in display sites. There must be some that work. Maybe not in the sense of being a launchpad for stellar careers, but at least as a sort of practice ground.

Well, sure.

A blog or Web site that belongs to the writer. You're better off directing traffic to a site you control, where you control your writing and access to your writing.

With the ease and affordability (as in free) of sites like blogger.com and wordpress.com which both offer free hosting--why on Earth bother with a display site that you don't control?

The conversation drives traffic; not the site. It's having something interesting to say, and saying it well.

It's . . . well, why not host your own party?

If you go to that huge rave with the rest of the crowd, you'll be lost in the general noise--and the crappy music and food.

herdon
05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Oddly, this thread has gotten me interested in display sites. There must be some that work. Maybe not in the sense of being a launchpad for stellar careers, but at least as a sort of practice ground.

Display sites in the sense of attracting an agent or publisher do not work. Legitimate agents and publishers are too busy with their own slush pile to seek more slush out, so the only agents and publishers that would hit a display site would be predators hoping to make a quick dime off authors that don't know better. In that sense, display sites like the one this thread is about can be dangerous because they point out the weakest prey to the predators.

The type of site that could work would be social networking sites that display the author to potential readers (goodreads, etc) or those that introduce the author to other writers, etc.

HapiSofi
05-25-2012, 12:21 AM
What Medievalist said.

Multi-author display sites don't work well because the reader aversion reaction to bad writing is stronger than their curiosity about possible good writing.

Unimportant
05-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Sort of, but I think they're called "fanfic sites", not YADS.

Many a writer got her start writing fanfic, and I think the liberal praise as well as the occasional crit that fanfic writers get probably keep them sane and in the game while they perfect their craft.

Medievalist
05-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Sort of, but I think they're called "fanfic sites", not YADS.

Many a writer got her start writing fanfic, and I think the liberal praise as well as the occasional crit that fanfic writers get probably keep them sane and in the game while they perfect their craft.

I think that's absolutely true; some really good writers and some astounding critters. Fanfic gave us the whole idea of the beta reader as a formal vocation, with a name.

victoriastrauss
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Oddly, this thread has gotten me interested in display sites. There must be some that work. Maybe not in the sense of being a launchpad for stellar careers, but at least as a sort of practice ground. On the other hand, we've already got that here (and in other writers' message boards that have something like SYW), and without having to pay fees.

I think display sites can be useful if they include a networking and/or peer critique component. A number also do have some presence by industry professionals, or some kind of arrangement where professionals provide limited feedback, critiques for mss with high vote scores, etc. Although the need to network can be a pain (a frequent complaint about Authonomy) or the site may run aground on its ambitions for itself (YouWriteOn).

As a viable alternative path to publication or agent representation, though....as others have pointed out, no. Display sites have been around since before the turn of the century, and they have never become more than a minor resource for agents or publishers looking for authors--despite the sites' often overblown claims (or failure to realize that they're re-inventing a well-worn wheel). Plus, they can become a hub for undesirables--marginal agents, amateur/vanity publishers. Writer Beware got quite a number of such complaints about Authorlink (one of the original display sites) back in the day.

- Victoria

bearilou
05-25-2012, 06:49 PM

And the only thing missing is a Wilhelm scream.

This exchange made me laugh. Like, out loud. Then I had to explain why I was laughing.

I wonder if I have room in my sig for this.... *ponders*

CaoPaux
08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
No change since '12: 21 books (3 by Scott), 2 screenplays, and 4 TV scripts.

ETA: Now up to 26 books by 16 authors (7 by Scott).