PDA

View Full Version : Ireland calling.

Nugus
05-03-2012, 12:57 AM
As I've been looking around aw I've noticed that there's more people from Ireland. I'd love to know if we're neighbours. I'm living in Swinford County Mayo. Anybody else nearby?

Nugus
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Well, hello. I'll give you a wave the next time I'm in KFC.

WaveHopper
05-22-2012, 12:05 AM
The big shmoke.

skunkthecat
05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Smack bang in the middle in Co. Laois. Is there a big Irish contingent on the board?? *blissfully unaware*

SquareSails
05-31-2012, 12:40 AM
Helloooooo from Donegal.

speirbhean
06-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Mise! But I usually hang out in M/T/S. Living and working in Dublin

mrsvalkyrie
06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Excuse me for interrupting... I'm from America, but I only pray some day I'll get the courage to get on a plane and travel to beautiful Ireland. Perhaps get together with some fellow writers while I'm over there!

Nugus
06-10-2012, 02:57 PM
You'll always be welcome Mrsvalkyrie.

mrsvalkyrie
06-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Nugus! I'll look you up when I get there and we can put back a few beers. :D

Nugus
06-12-2012, 02:50 AM
After a few pints of porter or perhaps a Jameson or two then the words flow better.

talking to myself
06-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Excuse me for intruding on your intrusion!

I went to Ireland last year (Galway Arts Fest). It was magical. I had the time of my life. I'm a wannabe Irish woman. Honestly, I'd move there if I could.

The talent that comes out of that small island is astonishing. Evidenced by Cillian Murphy's recent Drama Desk award for his otherworldly performance in Misterman (which I saw in Galway) and the, what?, 7 or 8 Tony's ONCE took last night.

I think it's magic. I think there actually is leprechaun magic and the lucky few who are Eire-born have it running in their veins.

Up Ireland!!!

mrsvalkyrie
06-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Agreed, Nugus!

talking to myself-- I'm jealous! ;) I do intend to move there some day. I've got quite a bit of Irish blood in me and sometimes I feel that I was born in the wrong country. No offense to America, of course!

talking to myself
06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Ms V -

That's exactly how I feel only didn't say it cuz it sounds... well, the Irish laugh about all these Americans who claim Irish blood... at least that's what I've heard from cab drivers (because I asked them!).

But yes, it just feels right to me that I should live over there. And when I was there I felt like I'd just gotten home after a lifetime of being away.

I wish us both luck, then!

mrsvalkyrie
06-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Same to you, talking to myself! (Wow, that sounds weird when I write it like that, lol.)

I'll never claim to be full-blooded Irish -- not with the German and Italian and whatever else getting in the way, but there's some there, lol. I'm a mixed breed. But I will say that I am most proud of the Irish. :)

Sorry, Irish gents (and including the females if there are any). Leaving you to get back to your original conversation now. :D

JimmyB27
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I lived in Dublin for a couple of years, and I go back reasonably frequently.
Two years of living there though and I never got further away from Dublin than Glendalough....I really need to see a bit more of the place. :tongue

talking to myself
06-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi Ms V -

Wanted to tell you that, although I'd flown before, it terrified me too. I hated it. But after 2 trips to Ireland in the space of a few months, I don't even think about it any more. Really, if you fly over an ocean once, you'll do it again, I think, by virtue of having survived the first time!

And if you don't shop while you're over there, it's surprisingly affordable. Fm NYC, the flight in only $800. Although there've been some shake-ups w/airlines over there so it can be difficult going anywhere other than Dublin. (Course that's only my [limited] experience talking. Also, I'm referring to Rep of Ire -- not N. Ireland.) Bus travel may be necessary or Cork. I flew into tiny Galway airport last year but this year the same flight is not available. (I had to cancel my reservations this year cuz I've been out of work since Dec.)

CQuinlan
07-17-2012, 09:43 PM
How ya? From Cork, like.

Mud
07-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Yup, Bantry West Cork. On a clear day you can see the end of your nose.

talking to myself
07-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey, CQ. Welcome. I was in Cork City [at a hotel downtown, like] last year the same day as the queen! Coincidence. Not on purpose.]

Nugus
07-18-2012, 09:56 PM
I was in Macroom, Co Cork for a conference once. It's a nice part of the country. The Cork accent is like a song.

CQuinlan
07-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome. :)
I imagine the city was very busy for the Queen. I missed it-a wedding in England-but I heard it all went well.
It's a strange bit of the country-accent changes per mile (and per person's desire to be a 'sham').
I lived in Dublin for a year too. Well, I lived in Carlow and got the train to Dublin for work.

One of my college mates came from Mayo. It's a lovely part of the country. Very nice except for the roads. The roads could do with a bit of love but I expect they'd be ruined again next Winter.

Neriah
08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Sorry for bumping, but great to see some fellow Irish on the forum. I'm from Cork City :D

Nugus
08-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Welcome Neriah.

vitani
09-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Bumping this to say hello from Dublin.

BarredOwl
10-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Not Irish, but wanted to say I love your country and your people. :) Spent a month there for our honeymoon 10 years ago. Just rented a car and took off with no plan. One of the best experiences of our lives, made mostly by the residents.

Arlecchina
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone! I figured this would be the best place to finally de-lurk. I live in Kildare but work in Dublin, so count myself as existing in that odd interstitial commuter space between the two.

Eibhy
12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Limerick city over here!

Spell-it-out
01-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Down in the Kingdom of Kerry myself!(Despite the blue of a Cavan jersey on in my pro pic)

aixsponsa
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
American here (Irish heritage) but I just wanted to say, a few years ago I went backpacking in Ireland by myself, at 22, which was kinda crazy as being a lone female in a strange country. But- it was amazing, because every single person I interacted with in Dublin, the Knockree Hostel, and Swords was SO sweet and helpful to me, and I never once felt unsafe. I loved my visit in your beautiful country, and can't wait to go back one day!

And: Everyone commented on my southern drawl. :)

IrishRover
02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey folks,

Just discovered this site, looks like a good one. Lots to discover.

Anyway, from Armagh, have lived in Belfast and Dublin. Good to see a
decent Irish contigent here - we do know how to tell a good story, after all.

JaneD
02-08-2013, 12:23 AM
I was born on the hoof as it were in the US. Parents only stood it for four months and came back to Europe, tried England next time and liked it no better. At least the next generation of girls all have decent Irish boyfriends so they might find their way back to the Holy Ground once more.

Saavedra
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm American, but claim some diluted Irish blood.

I spent eight weeks in Ireland in summer of 2011 -- Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Dublin again, with some stopovers in Cobh, Doolin, and Inishmore, which looks much cooler as Inis Mór, but that's neither here nor there.

Well, anyway, I loved every second of my time there, every raindrop, every damp hatted passerby, every barkeeper, every shopkeeper. I loved waking up in the morning and heading out in a different direction than yesterday. I came across many fine things and people that way.

Just wanted to give my thanks to your country's hospitality.

lolarobinson
02-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Naas here.

pernickety
02-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Hi lolarobinson,
am your near neighbour - Athy (but living in France)

BradyH1861
02-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Greetings from America. Mother's family hails from Wicklow and Father's from Belfast. But my forebearers saw fit to settle in Louisiana....seriously....that is an improvement over Ireland?

Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons. I give them credit (or blame them) for my love of redheads!

Superbacon
12-10-2013, 01:23 AM
My Dad's side of the family is all Irish. I remember when I was younger before we moved to New Zealand from England, I'd walk with him at night down by the river and the docks and you'd hear fiddle music from the pubs. These days, whenever I hear any sort of Irish music with traditional elements it gives me great feelings.

I'd love to live in Ireland for a while at some point. Hopefully a fair distance from the troubles though!

Noniej
12-22-2013, 07:05 AM
I'm from Wicklow, some of my siblings from Carlow, mother Laois, Father Kildare, son lives in Dublin - and I live in Auckland, New Zealand :-) We like to get around.

parakeety
03-19-2014, 01:31 AM
I'm from Clare, but I live in Murrica now. It's mad altogether.

Susan Littlefield
03-24-2014, 07:23 AM
My cousin and I are taking a trip to Ireland in the fall. Can't wait!

Plain Jane
03-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Ah I just joined the forum but it's so nice to so quickly and easily find Irish peoples! I'm out in the 'royal county' (so smelly ol' Meath) but working in Dublin.

Updrifting
03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm sneak reading about all of you, just so you know. I'm American but of Irish descent - my half Irish mother even gave me a gaelic name, although she misspelled it..

Plain Jane
04-03-2014, 02:53 AM
Heh Superbacon I don't know any irish people that would listen to trad irish music! Most pubs actually in Ireland have much better taste (apart from the tourist ones which love to humour the stereotypes) ;)

StormChild
05-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Leitrim here. There aren't a huge contingent of us anywhere really.

Jo Zebedee
05-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Belfast here, fierce Northerner. Purrrrr.

Paramite Pie
05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm sneak reading about all of you, just so you know. I'm American but of Irish descent - my half Irish mother even gave me a gaelic name, although she misspelled it..

That's okay... I've seen alot of mispelled gaelic names from Irish natives here too! During the 'tiger years' it became a trend for urban, upper middle class families to give Irish names but some mispell or mispronounce them!!:D

What's your name, if you don't mind me asking? Leaving out accents in another country is an acceptable 'mispelling' in my book if your wondering.

Leitrim here. There aren't a huge contingent of us anywhere really.

In fairness, Leitrim borders on fictional at this point. I've lived in Connacht (Galway) my whole life and I don't know a single Leitrimer! O_o

Which reminds me, I'm overdue a visit to Belfast! It's nearly too years since I've been!

WaveHopper
05-04-2014, 10:39 PM
In fairness, Leitrim borders on fictional at this point. I've lived in Connacht (Galway) my whole life and I don't know a single Leitrimer! O_o

I've heard that if you keep really really quiet, a Leitrimer might appear at the foot of the garden.

Matty lll
07-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Hello, from just outside Belfast.

WaveHopper
07-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Hello, from just outside Belfast.

Howrya, Matty. Look around, you'll like the place

Matty lll
07-08-2014, 01:34 AM
My Dad's side of the family is all Irish. I remember when I was younger before we moved to New Zealand from England, I'd walk with him at night down by the river and the docks and you'd hear fiddle music from the pubs. These days, whenever I hear any sort of Irish music with traditional elements it gives me great feelings.

I'd love to live in Ireland for a while at some point. Hopefully a fair distance from the troubles though!

Jesus! it's not like that still!

Matty lll
07-08-2014, 01:35 AM

Helloooo sir, fellow northerner here.

GlennDoyle
08-21-2014, 01:23 AM
New to this place.
From Dublin.
Great to see so many Irish around..

muse
08-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi, Glenn - good to have you aboard.:hi:

Pamplemousse
08-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Hello, all! I thought I'd already posted here, but seemingly not. Anyway, I'm from Longford, but studying in Galway. :)

Matty lll
09-11-2014, 12:43 AM
New to this place.
From Dublin.
Great to see so many Irish around..

Hey there

sreeves2
09-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Warm welcomes from an American!
:D
PS: I may go to Ireland this summer for a study abroad program, and I REALLY hope I do! :D

Matty lll
09-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Warm welcomes from an American!
:D
PS: I may go to Ireland this summer for a study abroad program, and I REALLY hope I do! :D

Where to study?

Matty lll
09-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Out of curiosity, do any of you speak irish?

Jo Zebedee
09-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Heh. I don't. Well, cheers and one rude phrase....:D hi from another frozen northerner, btw.

Matty lll
09-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Heh. I don't. Well, cheers and one rude phrase....:D hi from another frozen northerner, btw.

Not far from Belfast you say, whereabouts? I live about 15-20 mins outside.

Slainte, by the way.... :)

Jo Zebedee
09-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Not far from Belfast you say, whereabouts? I live about 15-20 mins outside.

Slainte, by the way.... :)

Little town, very large castle... ;) I assume that's a giveaway. :)

Slainte back.

Matty lll
09-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Little town, very large castle... ;) I assume that's a giveaway. :)

Slainte back.

Nice, I'm from Newtownabbey.

Dennis E. Taylor
09-15-2014, 03:55 AM
cathaoireacha!

Sycamore
01-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Hello! Checking in from Galway...

Cavetraveller
01-09-2015, 05:49 PM
At least one familiar name above me here *waves at Springs2*

Hello from Ballynahinch, County Down.

To Matty III, I don't speak Irish but two of my kids do. They think it's useful for discussing things in front of me they don't think I need to hear.

Kay27
01-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Evening all from Kilkenny :)

Cavetraveller
01-10-2015, 06:37 PM
I was just chatting to another writer from Kilkenny yesterday. Small world *waves*

muse
01-11-2015, 12:10 AM
At least one familiar name above me here *waves at Springs2*

Hello from Ballynahinch, County Down.

To Matty III, I don't speak Irish but two of my kids do. They think it's useful for discussing things in front of me they don't think I need to hear.

:hi: I live about 30 miles from you, Cavetraveller.

WaveHopper
01-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Evening all from Kilkenny :)

A day late - but welcome!

NeverSayDie
02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Another Dublin-based randomer here, always a surprise how many Irish folks turn up in assorted online communities :)

celticroots
02-19-2015, 02:17 AM
Hello from an American! I hope you like it here. :) I think you will. ;)

I've been to Ireland and would love to go back.

greendragon
03-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I've got some small bit of Irish heritage, but I've visited your lovely country several times, and consider it mo anam bhaile- my soul's home. I even wrote a travel book on Ireland! (my first published book). I have visited every county at least a little bit, but Donegal, Clare and Galway are my favorites. Oh, and Antrim. And Cork. Ah, feck it I love the whole place!

greendragon
03-09-2015, 06:06 PM

I know some very basic Irish. I've studied it for a while now. I can do a basic conversation, things like the time, colors, days of the week, etc. Not great at grammar though I'm learning the spelling!

autumnleaf
05-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Dia dhaoibh! :hi:
Pleased to see Ireland is maintaining its tradition of storytelling.
I'm based in Galway, where it is predictably raining right now.

Aloysius
06-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Hello All. Irish-American here. Been to the old sod years and years ago and loved it. My people come from Kildare. Any Joyce lovers among you? I'm writing a novel and have incorporated Ulyssean phrases into it. Would love to get in contact with someone who would be willing to take a look at the way I went about it. Best wishes to all.

KatieMcD89
08-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Great to hear there's someone else from Meath around!

KatieMcD89
08-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Is gaeilgeoir mé. I was a substitute Irish teacher for awhile, and I worked with an Irish publishing house for another while, but I'm seriously out of practice

Claudia Traveller
09-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Hello from West Cork. I have Irish ancestry but grew up in England. I haven't been here long, but I love this beautiful country and feel proud that I am roughly half to three quarters Irish, despite the English accent!

Wextd
10-15-2015, 02:52 AM
Hello from Dublin! Originally from Wexford but living and working in Dublin for years!

NineStar Press
10-15-2015, 03:43 AM
Hello from Waterford!

Lorcanmc
11-08-2015, 01:46 PM
I seem to be the only Sligo representative here, though there are I think some people from Mayo and Leitrim (yes, Leitrim people exist, I have met them!).

Anyway, I am in the process of self-publishing a novel, after half-heartedly trying the traditional publishing route I thought I would do it myself. I read a lot, and think that what I have written is better than at least 50% of what I read, so why not?

If people are interested in following my self-publishing experience, I am writing a blog attached to the website of my book. it might be useful for people embarking on the same journey.

http://www.ayearinlisbon.com/blog.html

It's basic enough yet, but I will be building on it.

TwilightsDawn11
02-21-2016, 06:57 PM
I specifically came hunting to see if there was and Irish group, sad to see it seems to have dwindled in activity. I lived in Dublin for a couple of years and it stole my heart, especially Donegal.

MaggieMc
04-29-2016, 06:42 AM
How're ye lads! Anyone still about? Irish but living in Australia ...

What are you guys working on?