PDA

View Full Version : Entranced Publishing

brainstorm77
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
http://entrancedpublishing.com/ They're currently running a contest where the prize is an advance and publication. See this thread for more details: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7239476#post7239476

Does anyone have experience with them?

mirandashell
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Hmmm... the prize is money and publications. But what about the author's rights?

mirandashell
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Ah, right at the bottom of the submission guidlines it says authors get 40%

Is that good or bad?

Jamiekswriter
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks like 40% on net

http://entrancedpublishing.com/?page_id=68

40% off cover would be better :D

Depends on what they consider net. Obviously 3rd party charges like Amazon's cut or B&N. But it might also be other factors that aren't author friendly like minus editing, cover art payment, advertising.

Anyone who's interested might want to e-mail them and find out what exactly they mean by net.

FabricatedParadise
05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Looks like 40% on net

http://entrancedpublishing.com/?page_id=68

40% off cover would be better :D

Depends on what they consider net. Obviously 3rd party charges like Amazon's cut or B&N. But it might also be other factors that aren't author friendly like minus editing, cover art payment, advertising.

Anyone who's interested might want to e-mail them and find out what exactly they mean by net.

Jamie, in some cases it is off the cover price. This is quoted directly from our contract:

For readable digital formats: Publisher will pay Author a royalty, in U.S. dollars, of 40% of the Retail Download Price, for sales of the Work at the publisher's website and vendor sites not requiring distribution discounts. For digital books sold through outlets requiring distribution discounts, Author and Publisher will divide the net price after discount equally between them.

I hope this helps!

Eden

Stijn Hommes
05-02-2012, 03:34 AM
That looks okay, but it still doesn't tell me anything about the rights. Which rights does Entranced buy and for how long?

Does the contract have a solid termination clause?

artemis31386
05-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Entranced is a digital only publisher at the moment. That being said, the only rights we acquire are world-wide English, digital readable format rights. Authors are free to do whatever they want with their print, audio, translations, etc.

The contract does have a solid termination clause. This is directly from our contract:

Contract shall be in force from the date it is signed by all parties until 36 months from the actual release date of the first released format covered in Section I.

The contract may be renewed by mutual consent for a period equal to that beginning the date of release.

If within 18 months Publisher has not exercised the rights granted in Section I, rights shall revert back to the author.
There is also a termination clause, should the author want to terminate rights, that requires a 90-day written notice.

Willowwriter
05-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Has anyone subbed to them?

triceretops
05-19-2012, 05:20 AM
I've subbed to them. They were very swift responding and notified me that I was a first-place contender, so they kept my manuscript until the contest ends at the end of the month. They seemed very nice and attentive.

tri

parumpdragon
05-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Has anyone subbed to them?

I subbed to them in April. Was accepted for publication not long after, and have been under contract about a month.

They are great. Response time to my subbed MS was very prompt and professional. They have worked very closely with me on every part of the process since then, and with wonderful results.

I will be submitting my other manuscripts to them this Fall, once completed.

Hope this helps you,
Nicole

michael_b
05-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Just went by their site and their home page lists a book that will be out on April 1st 2013. I take this to mean they aren't opening until next year. Is that right?

parumpdragon
05-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Entranced is currently open to submissions.

Their author's books will debut next year.

FabricatedParadise
05-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Just went by their site and their home page lists a book that will be out on April 1st 2013. I take this to mean they aren't opening until next year. Is that right?

Entranced is currently open to submissions.

Their author's books will debut next year.

This is correct. We opened to submissions in mid-april. Because of the amount of work our staff is devoting to every book, each title will be published approximately 12-18 months after contract execution. We feel that each book deserves the time and attention it would receive from a (reputable) established publisher. Our editors work closely with each author to develop the manuscript to its full potential. This may take three rounds of edits; it may take six. Each book is different and will be worked on according to individual needs, but every book will go through at least two rounds of edits. During edits, a marketing plan is being specifically tailored to each book. Once the edits are complete and galleys are available (approximately 4 months before release), copies will be sent to reviewers, announcements will be made and marketing done through various media outlets, and a blog tour will be scheduled. We strongly believe that it takes time to produce and market a quality eBook.

Willowwriter
05-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info!

triceretops
06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, to my utter, unexpected amazement (and I really mean that), I have great news concerning Entranced Publishing. Just received the email this morning. Out of courtesy, I'm going to hold off barking about it, since Ashley might want to make an "official" announcement according to her schedule and timing.

I've read all of their editor bios, and I have to say that there is some substantial experience with all of them. It is a multi-editor type operation, with several rounds of back and forth (They seem to emphasize this more than once in their blogs and website). They have limited themselves to certain genres, which means they're not all over the place--a good indicator. They're not in a hurry to knock these books out fast, since the publishing schedule seems to be lengthy--so no "millish" qualities here. In fact, very lengthily for an E-publisher, in my opinion.

I'll let you know when it's appropriate.

Tri:snoopy:

eternalised
06-07-2012, 11:30 PM
A question for the editors/publisher: are you planning on staying eBooks only, or are there plans of expanding to print in the future?

I was thinking of submtting something, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, which means I want to have a print copy to hold in my hands. :)

Renee Collins
06-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Exciting! Congrats, Tri! :)

triceretops
06-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks, Renee!

Lorna Peel
06-08-2012, 01:59 AM
I also received great news from Entranced Publishing this evening! :hooray:

triceretops
06-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Good for you, Lorna!

TumbleHome
06-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Congrats to you both! Looks like a class operation so far...

artemis31386
06-08-2012, 07:22 AM
A question for the editors/publisher: are you planning on staying eBooks only, or are there plans of expanding to print in the future?

I was thinking of submtting something, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, which means I want to have a print copy to hold in my hands. :)

At the moment we are staying an ebook publisher. We have planned to revisit the print option in the future which is why we are optioning only the digital rights. You are free to do whatever you'd like with your print rights.

eternalised
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for answering my questions!

And congrats to everyone who's subbed and received some great news! :)

Lorna Peel
06-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Good for you, Lorna!

Thanks, and congrats to you, too!

triceretops
06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes, unlike many other e-publishers who take print rights by some type of default procedure, Entranced does not take print rights, concentrating solely on digital e-book. I found that refreshing.

Tri

Willowwriter
06-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Triceretops are you pubbing with them?

triceretops
06-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I'll answer by PM, for the sake of discreteness.

writerguy221
09-04-2012, 04:09 AM
you should print paperback eventually--that would be totally awesome. ik ebooks make lots of cash but some people still like the feeling of paper in their hands

FabricatedParadise
09-05-2012, 03:17 AM
That's precisely why we only take digital rights in the contract. We understand that authors might want to see their books in print, but we're not in a position to tackle that area of the market yet. So for the time being, we're strictly eBooks and the author keeps print rights.

michael_b
09-05-2012, 05:59 AM
you should print paperback eventually--that would be totally awesome. ik ebooks make lots of cash but some people still like the feeling of paper in their hands

That might be so, but fewer and fewer people are buying print books as the popularity of ereaders and smart phones continues to increase. For what it's worth--and this is at least partly personal direct experience talking here--print books from ebook publishers aren't a big money maker for anyone involved. In fact, catering to that ever shrinking 'only reads print books' market has been the downfall of several ebook publishers in the last half decade or so.

Just sayin'.

triceretops
09-05-2012, 07:16 AM
That might be so, but fewer and fewer people are buying print books as the popularity of ereaders and smart phones continues to increase. For what it's worth--and this is at least partly personal direct experience talking here--print books from ebook publishers aren't a big money maker for anyone involved. In fact, catering to that ever shrinking 'only reads print books' market has been the downfall of several ebook publishers in the last half decade or so.

Just sayin'.

I second this. Paperback sales of all my publishers across the board have been dismally lacking. There are no trade paperback or hardback sales going on for any of my titles and this has been going on for the past year. Of course, I don't have publishers with distribution or bookstore placement, which has a lot to do with those low numbers.
E-book sales have risen and seem to be the only sales I'm making lately.

tri

veinglory
09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know that fewer people are buying paper books, is there data on this? I am selling more than enough paperback to be worth while even with POD (with distribution, via Samhain). There is not reason to do only one or only the other when both=more.

HLWampler
04-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have any recent info on these guys? Or signed with them lately?

BarbaraSheridan
04-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Most recent news I've seen is that Sarah Davies of Greenhouse Literary Agency sold two books for a client to them. It was on Publishers Marketplace the other day.

elindsen
06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Now that they're open, any sales figures. I see AW own Ana Blaze has a good Amazon ranking for a new press.

FabricatedParadise
06-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Now that they're open, any sales figures. I see AW own Ana Blaze has a good Amazon ranking for a new press.

It's true, The Best Man (by Ana Blaze) has found an audience. However, we won't have an accurate accounting of sales figures until the end of the quarter. We would be happy to share numbers at that time. :)

Eden

Tromboli
06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I have a few personal friends who are contracted with them. Nothing out yet ( my CP Stacey Nash will have a YA sci-fi out in Feb). Wishing them all the best! The authors seem to have a pretty tight community of support which is always nice.

LaneHeymont
06-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Just submitted to Emily Ward for an epic fantasy. I think it's exactly what she's looking for -- according to the website! *fingers crossed*

elindsen
06-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Eden, can you tell us what Entranced is doing for promo? Review sites?

FabricatedParadise
06-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Eden, can you tell us what Entranced is doing for promo? Review sites?

Absolutely!

Every Entranced release is assigned a publicist who books a one month blog tour and helps to arrange in person appearances and promo materials for signings. We submit ARCs to an extensive list of reviewers. We create a book trailer for every book which is placed on our YouTube channel as well as given some time on the homepage of our website. We also actively promote our authors on our social media accounts.

The publicist organizes contests and giveaways during the blog tour and if you find a reviewer/blogger not on our list, will submit your ARC to them at your request. The publicist assists with social media and author blogs, if help is needed there. We are launching street teams for our YA authors this month, which if successful, will be expanded to include our other age-groups and genres. We do author chats/ interviews, giveaways, etc.

We also have a behind-the-scenes discussion group for Entranced authors (and staff) and a very friendly/ helpful group of authors who love to get to know their fellow "Entrancies" and help promote one another.

That is standard, across-the-board promo. We also do specialty promo tailored specifically to each book.

Hope this helps!

Christine N.
06-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all of that! I made it through to the Pitcharama editors round and am happy to see that Entranced is now participating! Good to have all of this information!

elindsen
06-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Is Entranced looking for anything in particular?

LaneHeymont
06-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Is Entranced looking for anything in particular?

Check their website -- entire list of editors and what they're looking for.

elindsen
06-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm thinking of subbing to Eden, but does she take m/m? Or, since it doesn't say, do all editors take all pairings?

FabricatedParadise
06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm thinking of subbing to Eden, but does she take m/m? Or, since it doesn't say, do all editors take all pairings?

Here's my latest wishlist. The one on the website is an outdated version of this.

Eden would like to see paranormal romance and urban fantasy, with alpha-male love interests and strong female leads. No vampires or werewolves, please. Show her something she hasn’t seen before, or do the usual stuff in a new and interesting way. Send her your mythical creatures and your legendary beings; send her your heaven and your hell. She's a purist when it comes to genres, so tread carefully when crossing them -- make sure you have a good reason for your sc-fi to have paranormal elements. If you have a page-turner of a historical romance with cowboys, pirates, or sexy regency rakes, she’d love to see that too.

We take all pairings and have a soft spot for m/m in particular. You are welcome to query me directly, if you'd like. :)

elindsen
06-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Thank you, Eden. Will do once this puppy is polished :)

tprevost
07-17-2013, 07:37 PM
I just sent over a submission. Now comes the waiting =)!

ghost
07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Most recent news I've seen is that Sarah Davies of Greenhouse Literary Agency sold two books for a client to them. It was on Publishers Marketplace the other day.

Actually, yes, that was me.

I've sold two of my earlier works to Entranced and will be publishing them under the name Sarah Ripley.

Anarchic Q
07-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Submitted on July 18th, received a rejection just now.
Good luck all.

elindsen
07-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Sorry Anarchic. But that seems like a fast turnaround.

Undercover
07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I was thinking of submitting, but I'm not sure if they do print. Mine is at 50K.

Would you know off hand Ghost? Love your cover of "Dark Inside." Love the title too. Is that from Entranced?

Undercover
07-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Ooohh, just checked it out your publisher for "Dark Inside." No wonder you have an awesome cover. hehe. Good for you!

Pisco Sour
09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi

I submitted to Entranced on 8th September and this morning received a request for a full. The e-mail didn't have the name of the editor and it feels strange not to address it to a specific person. Having said that, when I subbed there was no info on the site about editor interests so I wrote Dear Editor.

I want to go through the ms again before I send it. Would waiting a few days be acceptable or do editors get annoyed if you leave it for a while? Also, as a cover, would something like "further to your request for a full please find..." or do I need to say something else? Thanks.

nkkingston
09-19-2013, 02:06 PM
If it's less than a week I wouldn't necessarily say anything before you get time to send it over; editors are aware that a lot of people have day jobs and can't respond to emails RightNowThisSecond. When you are ready to send it, just reply to the email with something like you'd suggested. Polite, to the point, friendly.

Surprised there's no name attached to their email, but maybe they keep it anonymous until they're offering a contract?

Pisco Sour
09-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for answering. Yes, it feels strange there's no editor attached but I've had little experience with this sort of thing. My other ms got a request for full from Noble, with a named editor (a few weeks before they stopped), which is why I thought it strange the request from Entranced is from the editing 'team'.

Anyway, I'm going to stop jumping up and down, take the silly smile off my face and go through the ms after work tonight. Send Monday/Tuesday at the latest. Thanks again.

FabricatedParadise
09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi Graceful Ghost,

Typically, if a submission isn't addressed to a particular editor, the entire team will review it. Since so many editors liked your submission, we didn't name a requesting editor yet. If you'd like you can address it to me when you're ready to send it in.

Eden

Pisco Sour
09-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi Eden
Thanks for telling me that. I feel a bit silly now, but that matches the grin on my face. I'll address the full to you when I send.
Thanks again.

elindsen
09-20-2013, 04:51 AM
Eden, when a submission is sent to you about how long does a response take?

gingerwoman
09-20-2013, 08:27 AM
I second this. Paperback sales of all my publishers across the board have been dismally lacking. There are no trade paperback or hardback sales going on for any of my titles and this has been going on for the past year. Of course, I don't have publishers with distribution or bookstore placement, which has a lot to do with those low numbers.
E-book sales have risen and seem to be the only sales I'm making lately.

tri
From what I've heard. digital first books generally sell a lot less in POD than their eBook counterparts at least in erotic romance. Actually it may be different for fantasy and horror from what I've seen. I don't know personally yet though since my first full length novel comes out in print this November.

FabricatedParadise
09-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Eden, when a submission is sent to you about how long does a response take?

If it is sent directly to me, it can take as long as 6 weeks, since I handle our submissions from agents, and my workload is a bit heavier than our other editors (with the exception of Executive Editor, Ashley Christman). Subs sent directly to our Senior Editors (via pitch events, etc.) have a pretty quick turn around. They can be read and responded to in a matter of days. General submissions take anywhere from 2-12 weeks, but the length of time we have your manuscript isn't an indication of how much/little we like it. It only reflects the number of other submissions we're receiving at the same time.

Pisco Sour
09-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm jumping up and down as they seem like a great home for my little darlin'. Stats for those who are interested:

Subbed: 8th September
Request for full: 18th September
Contract Offer: 26th September (after I nudged because I've had another offer)

What I'd like to know if any authors with Entranced are lurking, is how your continuing experience has been with this publisher, if you can spare the time. Is your book selling?
Thanks.

triceretops
09-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Congrats on your sale! Entranced has a great crew. You shouldn't have any problems there.

tri

Undercover
09-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Congrats, GG. I really don't much about them, but what I have read, they seem like a solid place. Good luck to you!!!! How exciting!!!!

Pisco Sour
09-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the good wishes. All very exciting for me, and it's great to have your support. Everything I read has been good, which is why I submitted to Entranced. Still, it's good to hear others' experiences.
Thanks again. GG

elindsen
09-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Congrats Graceful.

I also accepted a contract with Entranced.

Subbed early Sept.
R&R Sept 12
Re-Subbed Sept 18
Offer Sept 19

I believe those are the dates :) I'm working with the wonderful Eden and she's been very nice so far. I had a ton of questions and she had no problem answering them.

Cassandra24
02-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I do like the sound of Entranced Publishing, but there doesn't seem to be that much information about them in comparison to other similar outfits; for example, Entangled Publishing.
What have some authors experiences been? Was the editing through, marketing adequate? Are the royalties reasonable? Apart from e book rights, English language rights, what other rights do they want? Have their authors been successful?
I don't seem to be able to find this info anywhere. It's hard to compare them with other small presses without more details.

If anyone could shed any light, that'll be great.

Pisco Sour
02-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Just piping in to say that, ultimately, I declined the offer from Entranced and went with another publisher. I had a few issues with the contract, but Eden seemed open about discussing it and my gut feeling was that we would have come to an agreement. The publisher of my first book also offered for this one so it made more sense to stay with them for now.
Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Cassandra24
02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Just piping in to say that, ultimately, I declined the offer from Entranced and went with another publisher. I had a few issues with the contract, but Eden seemed open about discussing it and my gut feeling was that we would have come to an agreement. The publisher of my first book also offered for this one so it made more sense to stay with them for now.
Sorry I can't be of more help to you.
Hi, thanks anyway. They seem like a good company, just not much info on them, good or bad.
Who is your current publisher?

Pisco Sour
03-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Does anybody have recent experience with Entranced? I've taken the plunge and subbed to them again, and am wondering if anybody else is in the same boat. Or had any sales info to report, either way?
Happy writing!

Edited to say: Hmmm, have not received their automated response yet so may have ended up lost in space!

Tromboli
03-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Usually only your first email gets auto responses so maybe since you were corresponding with them somewhat recently, that's why you didn't get an auto response.

I was a little disappointed about the way my friends release went down with Entranced. They had a set release date and some marketing events set for it, but then the day came... and nothing. She didn't even have an amazon page for it the day it was supposed to release. Apparently they had some kind of issue and towards the end of the day announced that it would take a little longer to get her novel live. It went up a few days later.

I know things happen, I'm not saying this is a huge red flag or anything, but I'm sure it was a bit heart breaking for her.

Pisco Sour
03-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Oh? I thought a submission would be acknowledged by their auto-response no matter if you'd subbed something else before or e-mailed to ask a question about submitting (didn't get an answer, but it's okay since I found out what I needed). I guess a part of me is wary, since I once submitted to a publisher, didn't get the auto-response and months later nudged only to find out they never received my submission.

Tromboli, I feel for your friend. Hopefully when the book was put up a few days later it was still exciting for her.

Tromboli
03-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Yes, her book is up now so all is good.

From my understanding Autoresponders usually only send on the first email otherwise you'd keep getting them over and over when you email back and forth. I've learned this with contests and such, if you send more than one entry only one gets the autoresponse. Just kind of how they work (not that I'm an expert, just my experience) Not sure about how it works if you wait a while before sending a new email. Does it reset? Who knows.

Pisco Sour
03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Crikey. The book I subbed to them was in June, 2013. You'd think a new submission in March, 2014 would receive an acknowledgment. Plus, the recent e-mail I sent was straight to Eden's address (since I dealt with her last September and had it on file) not submissions. Hmmm... I'll wait a while and see what happens.

elindsen
03-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Pisco, Eden hasn't been at Entranced since Nov. 2013.

Pisco Sour
03-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Oh. That's probably why I didn't get an answer! :D Thanks for that. Still, there's been no acknowledgement of my submission so I'm biting my knuckles, not wanting to annoy by resubmitting and not wanting to wait for months until nudging only find they never got it. I'll wait a little while in case the system was down or something.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

elindsen
03-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Entranced has been sold.

Due to owner Ashley Christman's long illness, she has sold the company to Robert Oknik, a lawyer that specializes in contract law. It seems his only experience comes from his work at Meredith Media (http://www.meredith.com/), a marketing company specializing in publishing. I can't find if he's actually worked at a publishing house, or if he just handles contracts.

Pisco Sour
03-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Wow. Interesting times... Thanks for the info.

Tromboli
03-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how the auto responder would work in that case. But if Eden is gone and you sent to her email address, I might consider trying a different email adress.

Also, Eden is at a new epress so you could always try that one too (I don't know much about it but if you've dealt with her before you could probably get a good idea of what they're like before signing). The publisher is Anaiah Press http://www.anaiahpress.com/

Pisco Sour
03-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks Tromboli

I sent my submission to the normal submissions address at Entranced after e-mailing Eden with a question about submitting. I found her at Amira Press (or was it Anaiha… my brain is fried!) They seem to be a Christian, sweet romance publisher and my book is unsuitable for them. But thanks for the help. I'll wait and see what happens with Entranced. My MSS is out to a few other pubs and I'd rather see what happens under the new ownership before re-submitting.

Old Hack
03-13-2014, 01:37 AM
I've been contacted by an Entranced author who is not at all happy with the experience of being published by them.

Problems include departing editors, no new editors being assigned, new editors being less than properly attentive, an ineffective marketing push, no author copies. The books haven't made it into all the usual sales channels, so limiting their sales. The publisher is now apparently ignoring emails. Books are being published without appropriate formatting, which the publisher can't or won't correct; and their website can apparently not be updated appropriately because there are problems with the server.

I do hope the new owner can sort out all these problems, and quick. It really doesn't sound good.

triceretops
03-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Hmm...It looks like I might have dodged a bullet then. I declined their grand prize win some time ago. I did end up with an advance three times higher than their cash prize stipulated, and a much better overall contract. I'm sorry they're going through such a tough time after having been out not very long. But they're going to have to tighten things up and pull together if they're going to make a go it.

tri

Updrifting
03-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Old Hack, you are a killjoy. An informative, invaluable one with the kind of experience and integrity I look for in these threads, but a killjoy nonetheless. ;-)

victoriastrauss
03-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Due to owner Ashley Christman's long illness, she has sold the company to Robert Oknik, a lawyer that specializes in contract law. It seems his only experience comes from his work at Meredith Media (http://www.meredith.com/), a marketing company specializing in publishing.
Magazine publishing, mostly. Not all that transferable to book publishing. Even if he'd worked in contracts at a publishing company, that might not be enough transferable skill to run an independent publisher.

I hope it all works out, but I agree with Old Hack--it doesn't sound good.

By the way, I'd love to hear from any Entranced authors who've experienced the problems Old Hack describes. All information shared with Writer Beware is held in confidence. beware [at] sfwa.org.

- Victoria

elindsen
03-20-2014, 11:11 PM
I finally got my rights back, so I can speak freely and not worry about repercussions.

My experience with Entranced:
I signed my contract in Sept. 2013. My editor was Eden Plantz and she was fabulous. Loved her. We worked my MS until it shined. My cover art was also positive, even though the artist wouldn't fix a mistake in my female character's appearance. Then in Nov. 2013, Eden quit. My book was scheduled for a January 2014 release. I didn’t hear a peep from anyone for weeks until I emailed Ashley, the publisher. She apologized and I was given a new editor. I’ve had one or two conversations with her. Nothing else.

Entranced does these cover reveals. My publicist Misty and I agreed on a reveal date. Zero people signed up for the reveal. No buzz. Zip. One mention on Twitter. I emailed Ashley again with my concerns. She promised to make it right. Misty set up a blog tour for the two weeks around my release. That came and went and brought zero sales. I found out that a majority of the stops were other Entranced author's blogs-nothing wrong with this, but no review sites or sites that get much buzz. My book was out almost a month and not a single sale. I had it on the FB “50 Shades” page and it sold a few copies. None since. My Amazon ranking is closing in on 2 million now, 2 months after release. I do giveaways and such via Twitter and Facebook and blog posts, nothing "In your face" but trying to get attention to me and my book.

I can't giveaway copies of the book either because I was never given author copies, even though, per my contract, I was supposed to. The best I have is my galleys, which have some errors. One author on the loop said that her book was released with over 90 errors. She said she pointed these out during the galley phase, but none were fixed. It was released as-is, and Tricia is unable to fix these problems. She posted on the FB author loop that she has no way to fix these problems.

My issues are distribution. My book is only on Amazon. I emailed about why it’s not on ARe, or B&N like their other books. Ashley told me that they hire a vendor to list books and it’s the vendor’s decision which sites. So I’m only on Amazon. I'm not allowed to be a part of Kindle Select either for the promo days there.

I tried to contact someone with the publisher, but nothing. I emailed 5 people and not a peep for over a week. Finally, I got mad and posted on the loop that I couldn't get a hold of anyone. Misty and Tricia both posted that they never received any of my emails. I find this hard to believe, considering I sent dozens that week and every other mail found its destination. Tricia removed me from the loop for asking what email I could reach her at. She added me back about thirty minutes later. Tricia messaged me and asked what I needed. I explained that they breached the contract and I wanted my rights. She again ignored me, but FB said she saw the message. A minute later I was removed from the group a second time by Tricia.

The week before we were told that publisher Ashley Christman had been battling an illness and sold the company. Many of their authors have asked about the new guy, Robert Olnik, and nothing. We were promised that he'd speak to us, but so far hasn't. He's a lawyer but doesn't exist online.

After I asked for my rights back, I was told she would give them. So I settled in for a wait. Then I got a FB message from another author. Her story was insane. Authors reported, after 8 months of their books being online, zero royalties paid. They had sales but never even received a statement.

On Tuesday, I emailed Tricia about my rights letter. She said she mailed it, but I never got it. She resent. My name was wrong. She had my pen name down. I pointed it out and she thought that was my real name. On FB, like many authors, I only have a public page. But the fact that she couldn't be bothered to get my real name boggles the mind. When I told her about it, she got rude and I explained that it was a pen name. Seriously, what publisher has issues with pen names?

I signed it and now I wait. Per my rights letter, Entranced is allowed to sell my book for an additional 30 days. No idea why, but I had to agree for I wouldn't have gotten anything.

As for their new owner, many Entranced authors speculate that he's fake. Maybe Ashley needed a scapegoat? Nobody has spoken with him, and there hadn't been anything legally about the company being sold. Granted, this is all speculation, but a failing company should want to show off their savior, not hide him.

I'm not due for royalties until May, and I'm not expecting much. But others that never received a cent is sad.

IMHO, Entranced is circling the drain and fast. It's very reminiscent of Aspen Mountain.

Anyone that wants to sub to them really needs to reconsider. I don't expect them open much longer.

Pisco Sour
03-21-2014, 12:33 AM
OMG! Your story is horrific. I am so :rant:on your behalf, but also very glad you got your rights back. No consolation for all the work you put in, but at least it didn't take forever. I remember the battle for people to get their rights back from Noble Romance.
Looks like I dodged a bullet with Entranced, but I feel so bad for the authors. I hope you find another publisher for your book soon!
Thank you very much for coming out with your story.

Filigree
03-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Wow. Thanks for telling us.

elindsen
03-21-2014, 04:03 AM
OMG! Your story is horrific. I am so :rant:on your behalf, but also very glad you got your rights back. No consolation for all the work you put in, but at least it didn't take forever. I remember the battle for people to get their rights back from Noble Romance.
Looks like I dodged a bullet with Entranced, but I feel so bad for the authors. I hope you find another publisher for your book soon!
Thank you very much for coming out with your story.
I'm glad you dodged it. I wanted to say something sooner, but I worried it would hurt my chances of getting my rights back. I was the one Old Hack spoke to. Needed some way of sending a message :)

I'll probably self-pub this book. It's only 10k, so not a huge issue. I wanted to test the waters with something small first, just in case. And it's been well edited. The only positive experience with Entranced was my editor. So, when my 30 days are up, I'll hit publish.

Sending :Hug2: to those still trapped.

Pisco Sour
03-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm glad you dodged it. I wanted to say something sooner, but I worried it would hurt my chances of getting my rights back. I was the one Old Hack spoke to. Needed some way of sending a message :)

I'll probably self-pub this book. It's only 10k, so not a huge issue. I wanted to test the waters with something small first, just in case. And it's been well edited. The only positive experience with Entranced was my editor. So, when my 30 days are up, I'll hit publish.

Sending :Hug2: to those still trapped.

Thank goodness you'll soon be in the clear. And yes, I wondered when I saw the post. In September, 2013, Eden offered me a contract for a 95k novel. She was very enthusiastic about my book but in the end I went with a different publisher. But I was so impressed by her I thought I'd send her a novella I had ruminating in my files. It was only 30 k and I've just sold it. I've now e-mailed to withdraw my submission. Don't care if Entranced don't acknowledge. At least I've done what's proper.
Happy publishing! And thank you, once again, for sharing your experience. This is exactly one of the reasons I love AW.

Spiritsong
03-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Their website and Facebook page are gone:

https://www.entrancedpublishing.com/‎

https://www.facebook.com/EntrancedPublishing‎

I nearly signed with these guys due to the aforementioned, fabulous Eden. Glad I took the other offer...

elindsen
03-25-2014, 02:08 AM
A letter was sent out that Entranced is out of business.

Tromboli
03-25-2014, 02:40 AM
:( I'm sad for my friend who published with them. She'd signed for the sequels to her books too. Will the rights revert back to her?

Tromboli
03-25-2014, 03:51 AM
Actually, I just talked to her. She already got her rights back and is deciding what to do now. Any advice for what is a good path after something like this? Her book has only been released for a month. Does it just make sense to just self publish? Look for another small press willing to take her on?

BarbaraSheridan
03-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Actually, I just talked to her. She already got her rights back and is deciding what to do now. Any advice for what is a good path after something like this? Her book has only been released for a month. Does it just make sense to just self publish? Look for another small press willing to take her on?

My advice is to simply hang on to the book and set it aside while using the next to find a better publisher/agent/whatever your friend wants.

They can revise or resubmit or self pub the first somewhere down the line.

elindsen
03-25-2014, 04:04 PM
The letter that went out to their current authors stated along the lines that "Bob" would take all of the books down with 30 days, at which point the rights would be returned. Does this count as a reversion letter, or is it hog wash? Can the authors contact places like Amazon, stating that there was a breech of contract and the books are no longer to be sold-Entranced is selling them without a contract?

The thing that has me doubting all of this is that in the state of Minnesota, Entranced's home base, there is no registered sale of the company. On top of that, Robert Oknik doesn't seem to be a real person-he's supposedly a lawyer but there is no record of him even taking the bar, much less practicing.

Many Entranced authors are worried but what they should do. Does the email count? Are there other steps they can take?

Thanks so much, guys.

akirayuki
03-27-2014, 03:18 AM
I was also an author at Entranced. Everything E said before is completely true. I am still owed for fourth quarter royalties, which I doubt I will ever see.

We had an author group to communicate within the company, as soon as it was brought up that royalties were due, Ashley shut it down. I guess she thought we couldn't figure out a way to communicate. When I first questioned her about a missed royalty check, she made it seem as if there was a processing issue. Only when I started to make noise did she finally pay up. (at least for third quarter) Even now I have no idea whether the amount she paid me was what was owed, I still to this day, have never received a statement.

Then there was this sale of the company. The "buyer" Bob Oknik seemed to be an internet ghost. There was zip that we could find out about him online. This seemed extremely suspicious to me. We questioned and questioned it, and lo and behold, a couple weeks later "Bob" decided to close the doors.

In my opinion, I would NEVER do business with Ashley. This has been a complete an utter nightmare for us and I can't help but feel as if we have been scammed by her.

LaneHeymont
03-27-2014, 03:31 AM
I was also an author at Entranced. Everything E said before is completely true. I am still owed for fourth quarter royalties, which I doubt I will ever see.

We had an author group to communicate within the company, as soon as it was brought up that royalties were due, Ashley shut it down. I guess she thought we couldn't figure out a way to communicate. When I first questioned her about a missed royalty check, she made it seem as if there was a processing issue. Only when I started to make noise did she finally pay up. (at least for third quarter) Even now I have no idea whether the amount she paid me was what was owed, I still to this day, have never received a statement.

Then there was this sale of the company. The "buyer" Bob Oknik seemed to be an internet ghost. There was zip that we could find out about him online. This seemed extremely suspicious to me. We questioned and questioned it, and lo and behold, a couple weeks later "Bob" decided to close the doors.

In my opinion, I would NEVER do business with Ashley. This has been a complete an utter nightmare for us and I can't help but feel as if we have been scammed by her.

After doing some research, I found NO ONE in the USA has ever been named Robert/Bob Oknik. Anywhere. Ever. I also just realized "Oknik" is "Kinko" backwards, as in the copier store. I doubt that means anything, other than it's a made up name since most (99%?) of people's surnames aren't words spelled backwards. Unless, of course, we mean the name "Nevaeh" which is "heaven" backwards, but that's a new thing. I digress...

shelleyo
03-27-2014, 04:49 AM
After doing some research, I found NO ONE in the USA has ever been named Robert/Bob Oknik. Anywhere. Ever. I also just realized "Oknik" is "Kinko" backwards, as in the copier store. I doubt that means anything, other than it's a made up name since most (99%?) of people's surnames aren't words spelled backwards. Unless, of course, we mean the name "Nevaeh" which is "heaven" backwards, but that's a new thing. I digress...

A made-up buyer. That's an amazing way to try to shirk responsibility.

I'm sorry for the authors disappointed by this.

Maddie
03-27-2014, 06:47 AM

My grand-niece has the middle name of Nevaeh. It's New Age.

Maddie
03-27-2014, 06:54 AM
Aside from AW, the only other web link mentioning a Robert Oknik is here (http://dnb.alacrastore.com/storecontent/dnb2/425130597).

elindsen
03-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Aside from AW, the only other web link mentioning a Robert Oknik is here (http://dnb.alacrastore.com/storecontent/dnb2/425130597).
Call me green, but what does that mean? It's frickin' expensive!

Maddie
03-27-2014, 08:08 AM
The web site is located in Poland, as far as I can ascertain.

Old Hack
03-27-2014, 11:08 AM
This is very odd.

Entranced has been sold.

Due to owner Ashley Christman's long illness, she has sold the company to Robert Oknik, a lawyer that specializes in contract law. It seems his only experience comes from his work at Meredith Media (http://www.meredith.com/), a marketing company specializing in publishing. I can't find if he's actually worked at a publishing house, or if he just handles contracts.

Why buy a company and then close it down when people start asking difficult questions? Surely you'd have checked through the books before taking a company on.

If I were the cynical sort, I'd have to wonder if there ever really was a sale.

Filigree
03-27-2014, 03:12 PM
That's what I'm wondering.

LaneHeymont
03-28-2014, 02:53 AM
I'm curious as to how an "international businessman" who is based in Poland would even know about this publisher?

triceretops
03-28-2014, 04:31 AM
Naw, it doesn't make any sense at all. Has cover-up or sleight of hand written all over it.

Although I dodged this one, I feel sorry for the other contest winners. This did look promising from the very start, at least, and seemed like it might go somewhere. My agent actually wanted me to go with them at first because she thought they would head-line my book. Then, we got five additional offers and decided this book had something special. We took the highest offer from the five.

But...if not for those offers, I would have gone with them in a heartbeat, having no idea that it would come to something like this. This has shades in it that parallels Zharmae, which was a near break-down and closure until a last minute rescue from a couple of guys.

tri--still pretty shocked about this one, but not surprised.

victoriastrauss
03-28-2014, 08:05 PM
My post on Entranced is up:

The Short Life and Strange Death of Entranced Publishing (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-short-life-and-strange-death-of.html)

It's an awful story. I'm so very sorry for what you all have been through with this company.

- Victoria

LaneHeymont
03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
My post on Entranced is up:

The Short Life and Strange Death of Entranced Publishing (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-short-life-and-strange-death-of.html)

It's an awful story. I'm so very sorry for what you all have been through with this company.

- Victoria

Great post, Victoria! It's also a little alarming that Ashley Christman is now trying to go by another name. I wonder if she'll pop up somewhere else with another publisher as so many have before...

GingerWrite
03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks for posting this, Victoria! I was an editor and author with Entranced and I'm extremely saddened by what has happened to it. As mentioned above, the company seemed to be going somewhere when I was hired and contracted. I hate what has happened to all the other editors and authors.

Vince524
03-29-2014, 05:14 AM
Hey all.

I've been quietly following this thread for sometime, sending a few notes to people, not wanting to have my name on here. But I think it's time I stepped up.

My name is Vincent. And I'm an Entracie. (Feels like AA) (And Yes, I used that same joke on Victoria's wonderful post.)

Here's the things I'd like to get across.

1)Besides the publisher, the people at Entranced in ever other position were always wonderful, professional, and just over all great people. I especially want to point to senior editor Eden Plantz. She is someone I admire and respect.

2) Think about this whole Bob thing. If I bought a medical office and then laid off the entire staff and said I don't want to run a medical office, I'd have a office, the equipment, computers, etc... What do you own when you buy an E-Book publishing company that has no real physical location? We had staff in all corners of the world. All around the US, the UK, Australia, Thailand and probably a few other places. To buy an e publisher, you buy the contracts, the books, the isbn #'s. To say you don't want to be a book publisher less than 2 weeks later means you bought something for no reason. How does that makes sense.

3rd and lastly, let it be known that the former Entranced authors are down, but not out. One thing that Entranced did right was hire great and talented people. And we're all coming together to support each other. I don't regret being a part of it because if not, I never would have met these amazing authors, editors, marketing people, artists and everyone else. That alone was worth it.

Thank you.

triceretops
03-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Great article, Victoria. You sum it up--it's a cautionary tale, to be sure and not uncommon in the small press arena. Gawd knows I've seen it and been affected by it multiple times.

I must and will say for the record: I adored the Entranced staff who voted for me and sought me out to congratulate me. I know some of them here at AW. They were so nice, so polite and enthusiastic. It broke my heart to decline the offer, thinking of all the time they spent plowing through and reading all those submissions. Truthfully, it was one of the greatest strokes to my ego I've ever received in the publishing industry--if not, the greatest personal accomplishment I've ever felt.

I want to thank those who tried so hard to get this little house off the ground and headed in the right direction. I owe you all a debt of thanks for treating the other authors in the same positive fashion. I never, ever thought of myself as being too good for Entranced, I simply made a business decision that worked out better for me. (I needed to say that, finally and at last).

Tri:Hug2:

elindsen
03-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Looking back, at the time I was kind of pissed about my cover art. I loved it, I didn't mean for that not to come across above, just that in my MS my heroine had waist-length hair. The cover, she had a pixie cut. I asked Ashley if I could change that tiny detail (three words) in the galley, but she refused. Now I see my cover artist didn't fix it when I mentioned it because she was never paid for it and, really, didn't want to spend time for free, which I don't blame her.

I am worried that Ashley is going to try another epub under her new name. Makes you wonder...

One comment that grinds my gears is that people are so desperate to be published that they'll do anything*. Yes, that can be true, but not always. I know the editors at Entranced were highly selective, that's why there aren't a terribly high number of authors. The editors were picky and, I believe, only picked the best. I had subbed other MSs to Eden but she declined them.

Yes, the wait a year rule needs to be considered, but Ashley had many fooled, including big name agents. Calling the authors desperate is a low blow when you don't know the whole story.

*It was mentioned on Writer Beware that we were desperate. I didn't comment on there because I'm not about to get into a word war after this week.

Filigree
03-29-2014, 09:03 AM
I think Entranced started out looking very good. I never considered them because I had already signed by then. But I know authors who did. It's a cautionary tale for anyone.

Tromboli
03-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Wow. Even editors and staff are claiming to have never seen a dime. That's crazy.

In a lot of ways this does seem like a very elaborate scam, but I also wonder if the publisher meant well, really did get sick, and kept all the money for medical bills or something. The whole thing is so strange. Why else hire such a great team? Work so hard to put all your ducks in a row, set up for sucess.

Or maybe she was expecting best sellers, didn't get it and got angry. Who knows. It's a very sad situation.

victoriastrauss
03-30-2014, 12:41 AM
*It was mentioned on Writer Beware that we were desperate.
Possibly in the comments. Not by me.

I got several questions about Entranced when it first opened for subs, and I responded to all of them the same way: wait and see. I know that a couple of the authors who contacted me chose not to do that. Another asked me for contract advice, then went ahead and signed before I could take a look and get back to her.

Not to wave a finger in anyone's face, but it's the publishers that look terrific at the outset that really show the importance of the wait-a-year approach.

- Victoria

Filigree
03-30-2014, 02:27 AM
I go by the 'wait two years then check out their Amazon ranks, their authors' social media posts, and any batshittery from the staff' approach. Generally, I look at sales and longevity.

Tromboli
03-30-2014, 02:51 AM

- Victoria

Yes, it was in the comments.

elindsen
03-30-2014, 04:10 AM

Yes, it was in the comments. I noted that above. I love Writer Beware.

i *thought* I did my homework on them. I read a book of theirs (at the time they'd just opened so the selection was limited) and it was fabulous. At the time the Amazon ranking was close to 1,000 after it had been out 2 or 3 months. The author spoke highly of them. It was her debut. I figured that, between reviews and its bestseller status on ARe and Amazon for a debut, things must be good. The author mentioned that her publicist set up blog tours and all kinds of things.

Even though they hadn't released much, I thought that was a positive. Being selective is important. Too many epubs take on anything that has complete sentences just to build a list. I watched this author's rank and it stayed around 1-3k for another 2 months until I subbed in July. That book was rejected, but I received excellent notes. I subbed again in September and the rankings were still good on several books.

The thing with Entranced is that it all could have worked out very well if Ashley wouldn't have lost her mind. Everyone did their jobs but her and a few minions that chose to cover when things went south. I truly do believe that if she would have done her job as a publisher, they would have gone places.

Filigree
03-30-2014, 05:29 AM
If she'd been able to actually sell the company to a responsible owner, it could be going strong today. All the ingredients were there.

Vince524
03-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Instead, we're to believe she sold it to someone who then decided to close it.

victoriastrauss
03-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't believe she sold it. I think that was just another smokescreen. By the time she put out the "sale" story, Entranced was probably in such disarray, and had so much money owing, that no one would have been willing to take it on, even for free--let alone buy it.

Right after I put my post online, I got this email from "Bob Oknik."

Dear Ms. Strauss,

There is a lot of speculation as to what went on at Entranced. Understandably, people are upset. The decision to close Entranced Publishing was not made lightly. There were many factors.

In the announcement made to the authors, it was felt that it'd be best to keep it brief and professional, without delving too much into the reasons for closure due to the fact that they were both personal and professional. Their rights have been returned and available titles are being removed from distribution channels.

My colleague, Ms. Christman, has taken a lot of vitriol, including threats of physical harm. She has remained silent on the matter due to a signed NDA between myself and her.

As for the speculation over my identity, I've chosen to keep my personal details private, which in light of the invasion of privacy I've witnessed as of late, seems to be the best decision. Best decision also if you don't exist. Seems to me that a real person, having their identity, ethics, and very existence questioned so publicly, would protest a bit more. But that's just me.

- Victoria

CassandraW
03-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Bob Oknik stinks of sock-puppet. And my lawyer gut tells me that Ashley Christman is probably the woman beneath the sock.

My sympathies to all of the authors and unpaid staff. You deserved so much better than this.

The Pen Is Mightier
03-31-2014, 12:37 AM
Hello!

I too have been following this thread because I was at Entranced as well. I read Victoria's post above and was stunned.

There were never, ever, threats of physical harm made to Ashley Christman, which is amazing when you consider that she stole royalties and payment due staff. Many titles are still being sold on various websites despite "Bob Oknik's" denials. (When I type "Bob Oknik" please read "Ashley Christman")

The fact that this woman blatantly stole royalties, kept the payment due all staff, and fobbed us off with lie and lie and continues to do so truly grates me. But to turn around and try to play the victim card as well - I am stunned.

I advise everyone to be wary. I truly believe a new name, email address and website and BOOM! She'll be advertising a new press to take advantage of a new crop of authors and staff.

There are those who claim she may have started Entranced with good intentions. The editors were strict in their guidelines about what books they'd accept. They truly wanted to focus on quality and not quantity. Editors were wonderful, publicists worked to the very end for us (we take our name with us at the very least) - but with Ashley Christman's poisoning the well, we didn't stand a chance.

I am truly horrified that people like Ashley Christman exist in the world. This has been incredibly eye opening for me. I took a chance on a new publisher with everything going in their favor and nothing but good words about them. I suppose that's on me. It was an expensive lesson to learn, but I assure you, I've learned it well.

But to hear this woman still attempt to play the victim in this sickens me.

JinxVelox
03-31-2014, 02:33 AM
I wonder if Ashley has any connection to Anaiah Press, for which Eden aka Fabricated Paradise (who posted in this thread on behalf of Entranced) is now Executive Editor.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281029

I hope not.

Vince524
03-31-2014, 02:49 AM
I wonder if Ashley has any connection to Anaiah Press, for which Eden aka Fabricated Paradise (who posted in this thread on behalf of Entranced) is now Executive Editor.

I hope not.

I don't work for Anaiah. However, there is no connection between Ashley and Anaiah press.

I will repeat what I said earlier. Eden Plantz was one of the best things that was associated with Entranced. Many Entranced authors have followed her to Anaiah. And these are often the ones who were the most betrayed. I do believe I speak for all the former Entranced authors and staff when I say Eden has earned our respect, admiration and complete trust.

There has been enough damage done in this mess. Please don't let the ruin of Entranced stain one of the most wonderful people I have the pleasure and honor of calling my friend.

Thank you.

AnaBlaze
03-31-2014, 02:50 AM
She most certainly does not.

Eden resigned when she found out authors and staff were not receiving royalties and that Ashley was not responding to concerns in an appropriate and ethical manner.

FabricatedParadise
03-31-2014, 02:59 AM

I hope not.

I assure you, she does not have any association with Anaiah Press. I was taken in by her, just like the rest of the staff and authors, and my track record will show that. I tendered my resignation to her the very day the authors told me they had not been paid. Due to an NDA built into my contract and my desire to remove myself from association with Ashley Christman, I have avoided posting in this thread until now, but I have been watching it.

I realize that my reputation will likely carry the stigma of Ashley Christman's behavior for some time because I was such a prominent figure at Entranced Publishing, and it is my intention to continue behaving above board and transparently, as I always have. It is my hope that I will be judged by my own actions and not hers.

If anyone has any questions about me or Anaiah Press, I would be happy to answer them. You are welcome to email me directly at eden[dot]plantz[at]anaiahpress[dot]com or contact any of our staff and/or authors to inquire about their experience with Anaiah/me.

Best,
Eden

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Ashley seems to still have a profile here on AW (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=36599). She told the truth on her AW profile, at least in one respect -- "All around miscreant" seems to pretty much cover it.

For what it's worth (not much, I'm sure), the blog she lists on her profile (http://www.ashleymchristman.com/index.htm) hasn't been erased yet, though of course she hasn't updated it since December 2012.

Back in August 2011, she put out a call on AW for contributors (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6440405&postcount=1) and a list of open positions for "the Modern Witch Magazine (http://themodernwitchmagazine.webs.com/)." Nothing much seems to have come of that, or the "Jazz Witch Media Group" of which Ashley claimed to be the CEO.

Also, when I click on the links for the books she's allegedly authored, I get messages saying the webpages aren't available. She has three books listed for sale on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Christman/e/B00496NNEG/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0), but not one of them lists a single review. Odd for someone who opened a publishing company, no? You know what's odder still? The first page of one of her books contains a couple of typos in the very first paragraph (http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Lily-Ashley-Christman/dp/0557432847/ref=la_B00496NNEG_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396238983&sr=1-3).

I think Ashley herself may be a sock puppet. This is probably a dumb question, and if so, I apologize -- did any of you meet Ashley in person or speak with her on the phone? Or were all of her communications by email or snail mail, or via members of her staff? (Or maybe that's not such a dumb question. Come to think of it, I've worked in companies where there were execs above me I never met or spoke to. It's also possible that while Ashley screwed over most of her staff members as badly as she screwed over her authors, one or more of them might have been in league with her.)

This whole thing is so bizarre that I'm dreaming up paranoid conspiracy theories on who she is and why she'd do this. E.g.: I do not know how you all were supposed to get paid (authors and staff). But if this woman has ANY of your private information (banking, social security number, etc.) please check your credit and keep a careful eye on it. One of my paranoid conspiracy theories is that she's fronting an identity theft ring, and was using Entranced as a front to get people's info. Maybe that's crazy. But better safe than sorry -- you all have been through quite enough already.

Vince524
03-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Interesting. Someone pointed this ou (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8379439&postcount=305)t from a thread about Nobel Publishing.

shelleyo
03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Interesting. Someone pointed this ou (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8379439&postcount=305)t from a thread about Nobel Publishing.

Just gets stranger and stranger. For easy comparison, here's the letter from Bob/Ashley Christman:

To our Authors,

Today, I regret to inform you that a decision has been made that Entranced Publishing will be exiting the publishing business.

We are not insolvent, we are not going bankrupt, we simply have decided that we no longer wish to be in the business and therefore we will be exiting this business in a professional, orderly fashion.

Over the next 30 days, we will remove all books for sale through all sales channels.

We will compile finalized statements for all titles and pay all royalties owed once all vendor payments have been collected. We anticipate that this could be as soon as June, but we do not completely control third party sales.

This means that your rights will automatically revert to you per your contracts and at the end of the thirty day period. If after this period you still find your title available, please email me and I will promptly have it removed. If your title has yet to be released, this reversion is immediate.

I wish to thank all of you who have been good partners with us and wish everyone nothing but the best.

Regards,
Bob

And here's the letter when Noble Publishing went out of business August last year:

To our Authors,

Today, I regret to inform you that a decision has been made that Noble Romance Publishing will be exiting the publishing business.

We are not insolvent, we are not going bankrupt, we simply have decided that we no longer wish to be in the business and therefore we will be exiting this business in a professional, orderly fashion.

Over the next 30 days, we will remove all books for sale through all sales channels.

We will continue to send monthly royalty statements out and pay all royalties owed until all payments have been collected. We anticipate that this could be as soon as October, but we do not completely control third party sales.

Once this process is complete, this means that your rights will automatically revert to you per our agreement and if you need a letter confirming this, please email us and we will be happy to provide you one.

We wish to thank all of you who have been good partners with us and we wish everyone nothing but the best.

Almost verbatim with the only notable difference in the 4th paragraph, about the royalties. An international businessman would be perfectly capable of crafting a personalized letter of this sort, so I think that casts even more doubt on the existence of the guy. Cribbing someone else's "sorry, bye" letter? Funny that she chose a letter used by another publisher that really did people dirty.

As to the theories that Christman is a sockpuppet, a little research says that there is actually an Ashley Christman in Duluth, MN, and there are pictures to be found online. She seems to exist. I don't believe any Bob Oknik exists, however. Even the most tentative, ill-informed, small-time businessman wouldn't buy a company in deep debt only to close it immediately after. Not buying it.

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Wait a minute. At least one of Ashley's own alleged novels was allegedly published by Noble (http://www.amazon.com/Requiem-Ashley-M-Christman/dp/1605921785/ref=la_B00496NNEG_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396273865&sr=1-2) Romance Publishing Co. I remember it from my web sleuthing last night.

Paranoid (or maybe not so paranoid) theory: the alleged "Ashley" is behind both alleged publishers.

akirayuki
03-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Actually, we did a google Skype session with Ashley, so she is a real person. Whether or not that's her real name, I don't know. But the pics and what not are her.

The exact letter is insane. I have no idea what to make of this.

And I do have to say, the whole, "You should have done your research" finger waving, is a bit hurtful. None of us were, "desperate to get our books published" (Which I know that was just a comment, not to be reflected on the views of this forum)

Most of the authors are well aware of the risks of using a new publisher. I personally didn't contact Entranced, they found me through Pitchwars, where my book was one of the winners.

Before I signed with them I did a lot of research, including coming on here. I talked to some of the other authors who were all pleased about how Entranced was functioning...at least at the time. Even then I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with a new publisher. I've heard the horror stories.

But when I found out that some very reputable agents were signing with them, that's when I made the decision to accept their contract.

This lady seems to be quite the pro at this. It makes me wonder if she wasn't in on the Noble thing too...or if she just learned a few tricks from them.

Mind you, this is all speculation but I personally believe that Bob is fake. All the winding roads to his identity seem to lead to either dead ends or a tangled ball of mass confusion.

Filigree
03-31-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm getting a large bowl of popcorn now. The beauties of crowd-sourced investigation. Entranced had a great starting rep; Noble seemed at the top of their game for a while, too. These were cases where responsible, intelligent authors took a reasonable chance. They got burned later, but that wasn't their fault.

DreamWeaver
03-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Just gets stranger and stranger. For easy comparison, here's the letter from Bob/Ashley Christman:

And here's the letter when Noble Publishing went out of business August last year:

Almost verbatim with the only notable difference in the 4th paragraph, about the royalties. That's...pretty hinky.

I'm with Filigree.:popcorn:

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 07:22 PM
For what it's worth (again, perhaps not much), Ashley Christman had two books published with Lyrical Press (http://lyricalpress.com/?s=ashley+christman). Lyrical Press still seems to be up and running (though it was recently sold (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104091&highlight=lyrical+press&page=22)), and they still list her books.

I've been told that Entrancies have been left without real contact information for Ms. Christman (and of course you have to find her before you can sue her). Perhaps Lyrical has her real contact info and perhaps other helpful information? You can bet she wants her royalties.

ETA:

Well, add this to the hinky files. I tried clicking on the links to Ms. Christman's books on Lyrical -- which appear to lead to B&N, Amazon, and iTunes -- and guess what? None of the links work.

shelleyo
03-31-2014, 07:58 PM
The only books by Ashley Christman on Amazon are a couple of paperbacks. They're not even available in ebook format, just paper.

One was published through lulu.com, pre-Entranced.

The other? Noble Romance Publishing. Still for sale. Now, isn't that problematic since Noble closed last year and isn't supposed to be selling anybody's books? How would Ashley have not noticed this?

Or is it still for sale because she's actually the one in charge of the account, because there's some connection with Noble Publishing? Cassandra, you're not really paranoid if they're actually out to get you, or something like that. ;)

It could be an oversight, but there's no way I'd let a rip-off publisher keep my book up for sale months after it was supposed to be down. And it's not likely she put it back up on her own and listed Noble as the publisher, because the publication date is from 2011. There'd have been no reason to backdate it if she'd reuploaded it under her own account.

So, yeah. Hinky is the word.

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Well, the similarities in the letter are certainly not a coincidence. Either:

(a) Ashley the author received the Noble letter, which she then decided to use as her model when pulling her Entranced scam, or

(b) Ashley is behind both publishing companies.

ETA:

When Lyrical sold to Kensington, authors had to resign contracts with the new publisher. It's possible either Christman hasn't signed, and therefore retains the rights to her Lyrical work, or is awaiting the links to go active. I'm also with Lyrical, and I sent in my signed contract a couple weeks ago and have yet to hear anything...though my Lyrical work is still floating around webspace.

So, FWIW, it's a safe bet this has to do with Lyrical being absorbed by Kensington.

Hmmm. Then maybe Lyrical/Kensington could be of some use to Entrancies in tracking down the mysterious Ashley, or at least providing more information. Kensington seems to have been around for a long time, so -- hurrah! -- perhaps they provide a legitimate link to Ashley that isn't all dust and smoke.

Vince524
03-31-2014, 08:09 PM
We think B because Nobel seemed to take different types of fiction where Entranced was only romance.

nkkingston
03-31-2014, 08:12 PM
I think we need to be wary about linking an individual's dodgy behaviour to other businesses they have links to without more significant proof. MsScribe* used Comcast, but that didn't mean comcast was implicit in her sockpuppeting. My instinct is that Lyrical and their recent sale doesn't have anything to do with this, and Ashley may have pulled her books as part of her overall disappearing act. I don't think Lyrical ought to be sharing information about their authors, even in a situation like this.

Now, Victoria has an email from Bob, which means potentially she has an IP address. I'm not sure, but I think some of the Entranced authors might also? Now, no one is under any obligation to expend time and energy on this debacle, but if anyone did have the inclination, they could compare that IP address with one from an email from Ashley, and even with IP addresses related to Noble if anyone has any (my suspicion is that Noble has no direct links, just that Bob/Ashley C&Ped the letter because it was easier than writing their own). If they match, we have a connection, though nothing more significant than that. If they don't, it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a connection, just that the emails aren't all coming from the same computer. Either way, it's a place to start.

*I've been rereading the saga recently. HP and LotR wanked like no fandom has wanked since.

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 08:25 PM
I think we need to be wary about linking an individual's dodgy behaviour to other businesses they have links to without more significant proof. MsScribe* used Comcast, but that didn't mean comcast was implicit in her sockpuppeting. My instinct is that Lyrical and their recent sale doesn't have anything to do with this, and Ashley may have pulled her books as part of her overall disappearing act. I don't think Lyrical ought to be sharing information about their authors, even in a situation like this.

To be clear, I was not implying that either Lyrical or Kensington was implicated in the Entranced/Noble scams.

However, I've heard that all links Entrancies have to Ashley lead to dead ends or go in circles. If she has a real link to an actual legitimate company, that might lead to a way to finding her. I'm sure they don't just give out authors' addresses randomly, but if there's a lawsuit, Entrancies might be able to use legal means to obtain it from them. (Lyrical/Kensington need not be implicated in the lawsuit for this to happen -- subpoenas for records are issued to third parties all the time.)

Certainly a first step would be trying to link the IP addresses for "Bob Oknik" and Ashley. Frankly, I think that would confirm what we already pretty much know -- Oknik is Ashley's sock puppet.

Filigree
03-31-2014, 08:55 PM
The noose is closing. The current authors may not get satisfaction any time soon - if at all. But at least some crowd-sourced vigilance might spot when 'Ashley' pops up again with a new venue. If she was somehow part of the Noble Meltdown, a third attempt follows the typical behavior pattern of the average white-collar career scammer.

We can analyze other communications from Noble during both the functioning and meltdown periods, and compare them to Entranced communications from Ashley. The chances are very good there will be other overlaps. Those areas might make fairly solid 'fingerprints' to spot the new venues in six months to a year.

I wasn't paying much attention to either publisher, but how long was the working overlap between Entranced's founding and Noble's dissolution?

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
The noose is closing. The current authors may not get satisfaction any time soon - if at all. But at least some crowd-sourced vigilance might spot when 'Ashley' pops up again with a new venue. If she was somehow part of the Noble Meltdown, a third attempt follows the typical behavior pattern of the average white-collar career scammer.

We can analyze other communications from Noble during both the functioning and meltdown periods, and compare them to Entranced communications from Ashley. The chances are very good there will be other overlaps. Those areas might make fairly solid 'fingerprints' to spot the new venues in six months to a year.

I wasn't paying much attention to either publisher, but how long was the working overlap between Entranced's founding and Noble's dissolution?

There's overlap between the two. Entranced was founded in spring 2012, and dissolved March 2014. Noble was founded in 2008, and dissolved in August 2013. But assuming the companies were linked in some way, it wouldn't be too hard to run two (or more) scam operations at the same time. Ashley/Bob Oknik/sock puppet might already be running another scam (or several) right now.

Filigree
03-31-2014, 09:35 PM
That is what I thought, based on what I'd read about it.

Universities use software to help detect plagiarism, and I believe some of that software is publicly available. It might be worth it for ex-Entranced and ex-Noble authors to share communications and maybe put them through such filters, to see if any more identifying clues can be shaken loose. Granted, this is the kind of discovery that journalists and law offices usually do - and there's a reason it costs money.

At the very least, we can be doubly wary of new publishers from here on out. Especially if they seem to have any similarity to what we've seen here.

victoriastrauss
03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Wait a minute. At least one of Ashley's own alleged novels was allegedly published by Noble (http://www.amazon.com/Requiem-Ashley-M-Christman/dp/1605921785/ref=la_B00496NNEG_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396273865&sr=1-2) Romance Publishing Co. I remember it from my web sleuthing last night.

Paranoid (or maybe not so paranoid) theory: the alleged "Ashley" is behind both alleged publishers.
Or maybe she just cribbed the Noble letter for her own crash-and-burn. It wouldn't be the first time for something like this--the publishing ventures started by PublishAmerica authors that cribbed the PublishAmerica contract, for instance.

Ashley's isn't the only Noble Romance book that's still for sale new. There are a bunch of them at Amazon.

I get the anger and the paranoia, but some of it is spiralling pretty far into the stratosphere, IMO. In most cases like this, the simpler explanation is the better one.

I have emails from both "Bob" and Ashley (demanding that I remove certain information from my post because it has led to her being threatened. Not buying it). Unfortunately, both are gmail addresses so you can't match them up the way you can emails from other ISPs, and I'm not expert enough to go beyond that. If someone here knows how to compare gmail accounts, I'll gladly share the emails.

- Victoria

CassandraW
03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
I get the anger and the paranoia, but some of it is spiralling pretty far into the stratosphere, IMO. In most cases like this, the simpler explanation is the better one.

You may be right that we're going way off into the stratosphere, Victoria! And yeah, the simpler explanation is generally the right one. (But hey, at least we haven't brought UFOs or Elvis into the mix (yet)!) :idea:

I totally agree with you that we can't go assuming much of anything at this point. It's just a sad mess.

That said, given Ashley's disappearing act and the mystery surrounding Bob Oknik, it might be useful for Entrancies to at least consider any possible links to Ashley. Most are probably red herrings, but one of them might go somewhere. It looks like Ashley is doing her best to erase herself. Entrancies might have to do some work to find something she's forgotten to scrub.

I'd also submit that it could be useful to note patterns/connections between these kinds of situations -- it could be helpful in preventing future authors from getting caught in one.

Filigree
03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
I also don't want this to spiral off into conspiracy theory land.

Little Ming
03-31-2014, 11:07 PM
While I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory, I'm going to go with Occam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor) and Hanlon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor) on this one.

CassandraW
04-01-2014, 02:23 AM
Ashley Christman is much younger than I would have expected (http://wikibin.org/articles/ashley-m.-christman-5.html). Her screenname (artemis31386) apparently contains her birthdate. That means she was only 26 when she started Entranced.

ETA: FWIW, her Google+ page (https://plus.google.com/110605575385618497817/about) is still active. She lists Entranced and Noble on the page, and also mentions that she was a senior editor at MuseitUp Publishing (http://museituppublishing.com/)until 2012. (It looks like she really was, according to a January 2012 article on MuseitUp's website (http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=82).) Another surprising (at least to me) bit of information -- she says she's a nurse (studied at Indiana State University).

ETA: Finally, a piece of information that should surprise no one. She's an actress (http://ashleychristman.com/index.html). She says she's represented by Geanette Poole of the Talent Poole Agency, talentpoole[at]gmail.com, just in case she takes the site down. (You really do have to look at this last link -- it appears to be new.) She seems to leave out her history as a publisher on her resume.

And here she is on the Talent Poole website (http://www.talentpoole.com/on-camera/talent.html?id=ac01)! I wonder if the film "Requiem" she lists is based on her own book of that name?

Ashley seems to be quite the Renaissance woman. I'm expecting at any moment to learn she's an Olympic athlete, a fighter pilot, and the ambassador to Sweden.

CassandraW
04-02-2014, 04:15 AM
I am going to stop googling Ashley Christman. Really, I am. But just in case any of you would enjoy a mild giggle at her expense, I offer this. She did an online interview about a romance novel she wrote. However, she apparently forgot the name of her own heroin (http://coffeetimeromance.com/CoffeeThoughts/the-lady-and-the-highwayman-by-charlotte-davila-2/)e (Lady Elizabeth Bennington), and refers to her as "Elizabeth Bennett" throughout.

Speaking of romance, could this be her wedding website (http://registry.theknot.com/ashley-christman-tom-miller-april-2015-mn/1505511) she's setting up? She mentions on a couple of sites that her partner's name is Tom. And, after all, it is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single scam artist in possession of other people's money must be in want of a husband.

(Seriously, though, it might be worth noting that in the not-too-distant future, she might be going by the name "Ashley Miller")

ETA: Tee hee! She does the Elizabeth Bennett thing (http://msromanticreads.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/charlotte-davila-the-lady-and-the-highwayman/) again in a guest blog post (in the "language of fans" section)!

CassandraW
04-02-2014, 05:17 AM
OK. OK, I know I just said I was going to stop googling her.

April Fools! :tongue

Besides, I've found something else that looks like it could be a current site -- and there's a phone number, an email, and a skype address on it. She seems to be doing copywriting, editing, and graphic design work under the business name Maven Monkey (http://www.mavenmonkey.com/contact-4/).

Goodness, she's a graphic designer, too! And she speaks French! Ooo la la! Is there no end to this woman's talents?

victoriastrauss
04-02-2014, 07:13 AM
She seems to be doing copywriting, editing, and graphic design work under the business name Maven Monkey (http://www.mavenmonkey.com/contact-4/).

Some of the people on her Portfolio page (http://www.mavenmonkey.com/portfolio-4/writing-and-editing/) might not be so happy to find themselves there.

- Victoria

AnyaHarker
04-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Whelp, so much for that. She's already taken the Maven Monkey website down.

*may have managed to get a screen cap of contact info tho*

PublishingKitty
04-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Bob was nice and civil to me: gave me my reversion letter promptly, gave me permission to use my cover. But as soon as I asked about my pay as an author and staff member, and my sales figures there was no reply.

shelleyo
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Goodness, she's a graphic designer, too! And she speaks French! Ooo la la! Is there no end to this woman's talents?

There is, apparently. Check-writing.

akirayuki
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I would say the reason why the website went down so quickly is because the covers on there were not created by her.

At least I am positive of them were not. How? One of them was mine. And I can tell you that Ashley did NOT do that cover.

shelleyo
04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
I would say the reason why the website went down so quickly is because the covers on there were not created by her.

At least I am positive of them were not. How? One of them was mine. And I can tell you that Ashley did NOT do that cover.

Charming.

Here are the cached copies of a few pages with relevant contact info, though I doubt it does anyone any good at this point:

Main (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kiDE1xxkincJ:www.mavenmonkey.com/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

About Me (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sLUPKjv9_0UJ:www.mavenmonkey.com/about-4/+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Services (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:L_9jw3KqCXsJ:www.mavenmonkey.com/services-4/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Contact Me (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:P1YQBQ4_PGgJ:www.mavenmonkey.com/contact-4/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) (info at very bottom of page)

VictoriaStein
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
From About Me page:

"My philosophy is that every business, company, and/or person deserves a strong return in their investment in contracted services."

Ironic.

akirayuki
04-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Very. I found out recently that my book reached number 24 on Kobo in YA Paranormal and was picking up speed. Now I have to start all over again.

At least I retained my print rights, after removing the Entranced Logo from the cover, I don't have to start back at the bottom of the barrel. And I got too keep my reviews.

Appreciate the small things I guess.

CassandraW
04-02-2014, 06:55 PM
At least she hasn't given up her promising acting career.

And since she seems to be following this page, here's a little message for her:

Dear Ashley,

I'm sure you'll be trying some new scheme soon. A modeling agency? Investment services? Scuba lessons? Whatever it may be, I'm going to make a point of googling you and things connected with you from time to time. Only next time I won't post what I find -- I'll give it directly to the people you've "worked" with.

Blurve,
Elizabeth Bennett.... er, I mean, CassandraW

CassandraW
04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Oh, and if I can throw out an unsolicited thought to the Entrancies:

Guys, very unfortunately, I'm guessing you are going to have a hard battle getting much of your money out of Ashley. And alas, you may have to spend more pursuing it in court than you'd ultimately get. She's probably counting on that. (Surely she can't be counting on her alleged sale to "Bob Oknik" to protect her.)

But you know, law enforcement officials might possibly be interested in her shenanigans, and her "sale" to "Bob Oknik". It certainly wouldn't hurt to report it, giving the appropriate authorities all the information you are able to gather.

At a minimum, even if you never see a dime of the money she owes you, it would be nice to see her hampered in any further shenanigans. And that need not cost you anything.

And if I may humbly address the AW gods and mods -- Ashley still has a profile here (artemis31386). Is there a way you can block/ keep an eye on any future attempts at sock puppetry to lure unsuspecting writers from the same IP address? I'd say that's a wild conspiracy theory except...well, she was bold enough to launch an editing website and use former Entrancies and their work on her portfolio page.

And er... can I nominate her for bannination? :D

CaoPaux
04-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Yeah, no. Dial it back a notch, please.

Filigree
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Easy, Cassandra. I completely understand the boiling outrage, but you do not want to give Ashley/Bob/Whatever too much ammunition to come after you with charges of libel. The suit doesn't even have to be merited to drag on for years, either.

It's an interesting mystery and set of too-close-to-be-comfortable coincidences. The word is out now, and that's the best I can hope for.

CassandraW
04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't think she can go after me for libel for noting that people might look into mentioning all of these interesting "coincidences" and her failure to pay authors and employees, etc., with the proper authorities. (And FWIW, I am a lawyer.) That said, if the AW mods would like me to edit/remove any of my posts for AW's sake, of course I will comply.

And with that, I'm banning myself from this thread. I wish all the Entrancies the very best of luck, both with getting their money back and finding new homes for their work.

(ETA: FYI, mods, I'll be out of pocket for a few hours this afternoon. If you PM me to remove something and I do not reply, I am NOT ignoring you. Obviously, you should use your modly powers to do what you think best for AW.)

victoriastrauss
04-03-2014, 09:38 PM
If Entranced had vanished without returning rights, I'd be suggesting that authors seek legal counsel. They did return rights, though, and in my opinion, it is absolutely not worthwhile to pursue the money Ashley owes in court. I know this sucks. But if there were any money, Entranced would still be in business.

- Victoria

Vince524
04-03-2014, 09:42 PM
It's a 4 part thing Reversion of rights were the most important thing, and as far as I know that's happened for all of us. Mine have.

2 is removal of your books from all platforms. I think this has happened in most cases, but there are a few left up.

3 the royalties. Probably gone

And 4 statements for us to even know what we sold tio show a new publisher

thothguard51
04-03-2014, 11:13 PM
A few thoughts for the Entranced authors...

Your rights are returned, and in some cases, you have been given permission to use the covers from Bob...

But has Bob also returned the cover/design rights to the person who did the covers? This may be a problem.

Also, just removing the Entranced logo is not enough if the cover was part of the ISBN registration.

My suggestion, instead of spending $$$ going after Entranced/Ashley through legal means, spend the money on new covers and new ISBN # to separate yourself from Entranced...

Filigree
04-03-2014, 11:19 PM
That would be my thought, as well: a complete reboot of new ISBN and new cover. It'll cost, but will be probably worth it in the long run.