I need birthday gift ideas for 5 yr. old boy

ronald fenton

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody have a clue what i can get a 5 year old boy for his birthday. His pappy just died recently. He and his pappy were inseperable since the day he was born. Pappy died in a motorcycle wreck.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an idea . . .

Go to a large toy store in your area. Ask the sales people what the hot toy is for five-year-old boys, and/or ask (with the parent's permission) any five or six-year-old boy in the store what he'd most want.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's so sad, Ronald.

If you can afford it, I suggest getting two or three things if you're not sure what type of toys the boy likes. Some suggestions: Legos, action figures, squirt gun... Tonka type vehicles, such as dump trucks or excavators... Thomas the Train...

Hope that helps!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most five-year-old boys like anything they can be physical with. All of those things swachski suggested are spot on for most boys. If he doesn't care much for physical play, there are some great art sets for kids that age.

And, of course, there are always books!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
My 5-year-old loves blue orange games like Zimbbos:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009ICKCO/?tag=absowrit-20

and CooCoo the clown
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPJHO6/?tag=absowrit-20

He's also wild about the stacking robots
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ELQVAI/?tag=absowrit-20

Thomas the Tank Engine, Legos, Pixar Cars figures, Play Dough, Dinosaurs are also good bets. He also likes sticker books and watercolor/coloring books and markers (not crayons for some reason -- markers :D)

If they've got room for it, a water table or a sandbox is hours and hours of fun.

If you want to get him a video, Leap Frog puts out some catchy ones. If he likes songs the Laurie Berkner has some great music that is very adult friendly (i.e. not annoying like Barney!)

This is a little pricey, but the kids at my son's preschool go gaga over the Mobigo. (It's like a cross between an ipad and a Nintendo DS but for little kids) It's about $90 and the cartridges are around $20, but it's fun for them and the games mostly make learning fun.

For books: Dr. Seuss, Max and Ruby, The Bernstein Bears, Clifford, any of the KUMON workshop books (tracing, coloring, stickers, cut & pasting), Ping the Duck, The Five Chinese Brothers, I Stink, Tikki Tikki Tembo, Stone Soup, Ferdinand the Bull. I could go on and on.

I hope this helps. I'm so sorry for his loss.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Those velcro-ball dart boards are fun for kids this age (and up :) ) if the parents don't mind it. He'll lose all the balls at some point, of course ;)

Hugs for the little guy.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
a dead rat and a string to swing it with.

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have a clue what i can get a 5 year old boy for his birthday. His pappy just died recently. He and his pappy were inseperable since the day he was born. Pappy died in a motorcycle wreck.

This might be too sappy, but there are places that will make a bear out of the clothes of a loved one. If his pappy had a favorite shirt he'd always wear, they can turn it into a teddy bear. If you google "bear made from clothes of a loved one" a bunch of options will pop up.

Or a stomp rocket launcher. He can get any emotions out and kids love this stuff. I'd think it would be fine for a five-year-old.