The I hate David Yates thread

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
I looked for a similar thread before posting this one. I know that this is old news. My apologies if this is discussed elsewhere.

But I want to know: am I alone in thinking that Yates ruined the last four Harry Potter films? Is anyone else mystified that he was rehired after the shambles that was HP and the Order of the Phoenix? Does anyone else hate him as much as I do for flattening the characters, coaching the young cast in the art of non-acting, choosing action over story, and imbuing the films with his complete lack of sensitivity to the elements that made so many people love and respond to the books and the first four films?

Hello? Helloooooo?

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Naw I loved the last four films. The only film I did not enjoy was the-film-that-hairstyles-forgot Goblet of Fire. Half Blood Prince is my favourite of the films and made me cry the most (Dumbledore dying and having to drink the water from when he and harry were in the cave). I like Deathly Hallows Part 1 too, for me that captured the feeling of the books the most.

I thought the first two films were the worst and they were directed by none other than Percy Jackson film maker, Chris Columbus.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Fox, I thought I might be out on my own limb. I'm not giving up hope, though... somewhere in this world there must be someone who agrees with me! [wistful look skyward]

I have to disagree with you about the Goblet styles. One of the many reasons I hate David Yates is the way he cleaned up Harry's image. Harry is supposed to have messy, disheveled hair. Rowling reminds us of this in every book. A Harry with short back and sides? Noooo!!!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the perception of Harry and the rest of the characters worked for the film including the styles. But Goblet of Fire was a bit of a mess of a film tbh.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Agree OP. I always thought this. Going from PoA, IMO the best of the adaptations, to GoF, IMO one of the worst, was very jarring with the difference in quality. Really don't know why they didn't hire Alfonso Cuaron for more cause he nailed Prisoner of Azkaban (incidentally my favourite HP book).

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Agree OP. I always thought this. Going from PoA, IMO the best of the adaptations, to GoF, IMO one of the worst, was very jarring with the difference in quality. Really don't know why they didn't hire Alfonso Cuaron for more cause he nailed Prisoner of Azkaban (incidentally my favourite HP book).

Agreed. I thought PoA was the best adaptation. GoF was terrible! Yes the hairstyles were dreadful, but it was just a bad adaptation of the book. While I understand a lot was going on in that book, the movie left so much out!

I agree with fireluxlou too though, the first two movies were horrible. I didn't mind 5-7.2 though. After Columbus, anything was an improvement!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with fireluxlue, the only film I did not enjoy was Goblet of Fire. I thought all the movies were well done and entertaining and well, you can't please everyone. I'm sure you will find others who agree with you, but I personally can't say those films were horrible when I compare it some of the CRAP that is out there. Someone can always pick things apart to death, but for me it was fulfilling entertainment as a whole. Guess I won't be joining on the Yates hate bandwagon. Sorry. ;) Personally, my favorites of all the films were POA and OotP.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. I thought PoA was the best adaptation. GoF was terrible! Yes the hairstyles were dreadful, but it was just a bad adaptation of the book.

Oh my. My limb is getting shakier! ;) I loved GoF! Of course it left stuff out (GoF is the first of the longer books), but not nearly as many elements as the Yates adaptations did. Also, I loved the hair. In my opinion the characters looked their best in GoF, esp. the twins. But I'm an old hippie, so there you go. You should see my husband... shaggy doesn't begin to describe him!

I agree with fireluxlou too though, the first two movies were horrible. I didn't mind 5-7.2 though. After Columbus, anything was an improvement!

Well, I might as well admit it: I liked the first two films. Like the books they adapted, they were children's films, and designed to be so. When viewed as such, they are charming and fun.

Guess I won't be joining on the Yates hate bandwagon. Sorry. ;) Personally, my favorites of all the films were POA and OotP.

No worries. Anyway, two people (Seraph agrees with me!) does not a bandwagon make. :)

I agree with everyone who thinks PoA was the best of all the films. And yes, Cuaron should have directed the rest. Or Newell... GoF is my second favorite. But OotP? A travesty.

Yates. Yates. Why Yates? I still don't understand it.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think Yates did truly beautiful work, and turned what were essentially companion pieces (the previous films - minus PoA :) ) into films in their own right. My only complaint is he didn't understand female characters. He thought that because Hermione was a girl she must be the heart of the films, the emotional core. But actually that was always Ron. In the last film, when they thought Harry was going to his death, it should have been Ron giving him that big final hug, not Hermione.

You can see in how he also does the romance, they are all very airy fairy, kind of Twilight-esque, when in the books the romance is about people having stuff in common and getting along. Ginny and Harry were good partners because they were friends, she was spunky and funny, not all strange and ethereal.

But aside from that, nope, I thought Yates was a real craftsman and did some beautiful work.

I think, it seems to me from your posts here, that you wanted all the films to have the colour and joie de vivre as the first four did. But I think that would be wrong (in my estimation) as as of 5 the books changed drastically, became much darker and much more complex emotionally. They weren't the same kind of books as the first few. It's possible that it's not that you don't like Yates, you don't like the second half of the Potter series.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
I think, it seems to me from your posts here, that you wanted all the films to have the colour and joie de vivre as the first four did. But I think that would be wrong (in my estimation) as as of 5 the books changed drastically, became much darker and much more complex emotionally. They weren't the same kind of books as the first few. It's possible that it's not that you don't like Yates, you don't like the second half of the Potter series.

I can see why you say that, but nope. In fact, my favorite book in the series is OotP. I love how the books became darker. I realize that Yates was trying to create a particularly dark mood for a world in which Vldmt has returned, and rightly so (all the monochrome, etc), but that's not where my beef lies.

You've made some good points about some weaknesses that I agree with whole-heartedly. He completely misunderstands the characters of Ron, Hermoine, and Ginny. And you can tell that he's coached these actors into some kind of minimal acting technique (perhaps to contrast the "oh gee" child acting of the earlier films), but it doesn't work. Ginny especially becomes a non-entity, and all three of these unique (in the books) voices begin to sound exactly alike. I also hate the choices he made to prolong and augment action (a car chase in DH-1?!) in favour of important plot elements that were needlessly discarded. He does this to a much greater--and to my mind destructive--extent than Newell in GoF.

Btw, I'm not trying to convince anyone of my POV. It's interesting to hear why others like these films.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I guess I just feel that all the directors sacrificed important plot for things of their own creation. Everyone goes on about how marvelous PoA is but it is responsible for one of my biggest pet peeves in the entire film series, in that they never explained who the mauraders were, nor that James Potter's animagus was a Stag. Those are actually both incredibly important points that could easily have been made at the end when Lupin was leaving. But they left it out. I understand leaving out some elements and adding new more cinematic ones, I am not a fan of cookie cutter books to movies (which is why I find the Narnia films so dull), but I really don't like when a very important plot point and character development point is left out.

I guess what I'm saying is, yup Yates changed stuff. But I didn't think he did it any more so or any worse than the directors that came before him. I also appreciated the minimalist acting. The kids weren't kids anymore and they shouldn't be acting like kids.

Just my opinion of course :) .