Not enough romance? *stupid question alert*

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrupe

Think think think...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a good gauge for knowing if you have enough romance in a book for it to be considered a romance (i.e. the number of romantic/sexual/suggestive scenes)?

I feel like I have enough romantic content to make a case for romance as a secondary genre, but I'm not sure. My MC's plot is completely romantic imo. There are also a few secondary romances. I have had people also say every book has some romance, which I agree is valid.

My apologies if this question has been asked before. I did a search but didn't have much luck. (Of course, I wasn't exactly sure what keywords to search on.) Links to any known threads would be greatly appreciated.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Is the romance in itself the focus of the story?

I write historical fiction with strong romantic elements, but the story is *about* the main character's inner and real world journey. It's not specifically about the romantic relationship.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy_C's comment below is from here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19106

In subgenre, the first question you have to ask yourself is “Why?” This is often a difficult question to ask when the story is burning a hole in your soul and struggling to come out your fingers. But you must ask it. Both parts must contribute to the whole. If you can remove the romance and have the plot stand, you need revisions. If you can remove the plot and the parties might still get together, you need revisions. The romance arc and the plot arc are two parts of a whole, whether it’s 50/50 or 60/40 or even 90/10. One must exist for the other to exist or you don't have a romantic suspense (fill in the sub for your own writing). Otherwise, you have a suspense with romantic elements. Or a paranormal with romantic elements, etc., etc.

But it sounds like you don't think it is a Romance, but what you want to know is whether you can describe it as "with romantic elements"? What is your "primary" genre?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
The question you need to ask yourself is: what is the story about? If it's about two people falling in love, with a happily-ever-after/for-now (with or without a mystery/suspense/horror/paranormal/thriller/adventure to go along with it) then it's a romance.

There could be absolutely no sexually suggestive (or otherwise) scenes in the story and it could be a romance. It could be scene after scene of hard-core sex and be a romance. So long as the story is about two people falling in love and it has a happily-ever-after/for-now.

If you answered 'no' to any of the above, then it's not a romance. It's something else with romantic elements.

danrupe

Think think think...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I have three very tightly interwoven plots (none could really exist without the other): sci-fi (war between a king and rebellion), romance (reunion of MC and his lover), and horror (emergence of a new breed of creature). I would say romance is and always has been my focus, but I could see someone else focusing on one of the others. I guess it could depend on which characters the reader latches on to.

Are the characters falling in love? They are rediscovering their love. They fell in love ten years ago and were separated because of a tragedy. The characters are dealing with horrible truth that they love each other despite all the hurtful stuff that has come between them.

Does it end happily ever after? Yeah. Eventually.

I would love to say my story is "sci-fi/romance with elements of horror/zombie"... that feels truthful to me in terms of my intent. But if the romantic elements aren't strong enough, then I understand. I will flat out tell you, if you walk into a dark corner of my story, you will probably trip over a couple making out before you come across a zombie waiting to kill anyone.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A romance by my definition is all about the relationship. Otherwise you have story with romantic elements.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Like others have said, a romance isn't defined by sexual or suggestive content, it's about the plot and the kind of story.

A romance has a developing relationship as the core of the storyline. it can be intertwined with any other genre, but to be a romance character 1 and character 2 must be falling in love, and the book must end with the feeling that relationship is going to continue.

Without this you have romantic elements or a story with some sex. Both of which are fine, but they aren't a romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.