Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm thinking of writing a book about authism. My question is: what credentials do I need?

Here's my 'credentials':
- I have some authistic traits, maybe a mild form of authism
- My brother has a mild form of authism called 'Aspergher's syndrome'
- One of my first cousins has authism
- At least three of my other cousins have a mild form of authism, much like myself

So, I've lived among authism all my life. I was thinking on approaching the subject on a more personal line. However, I don't want any book I write to be as desperate or dangerous as Pavel's (more on him at the NEPAT overflow), I don't intend to write a 'Prevent Authism Today' book, rather an 'Understand Authism Today' book.

Do I have the credentials I need to publish a book like this (not now, of course, I want to do the proper research) or do I have to get a psychology degree or something? Anyone?

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
DamaNegra said:
Do I have the credentials I need to publish a book like this (not now, of course, I want to do the proper research)

I think you've anwered your own question here. You aren't writing a medical journal, you're writing about how to live with autism. Do the research, know what you're talking about.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
You could always find a sympathetic professional who could help you. Perhaps a grad student who is looking for publishing credit.

Or you could offer them a monetary deal based on royalties.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Doing proper research is likely to be a good enough qualification on its own. Having practical experience will make the book more attractive to a publisher, but research will be the most important thing. See if you can sell a couple magazine articles on autism first.

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
DamaNegra, I'm a veteran special ed teacher with a degree in psychology and many years' experience dealing with autistic students aged 5 through 20. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

I'd suggest you go to www.dogpile.com and do a search on autism to see what has been published lately. There's a site, PubMed, that offers abstracts of the latest medical studies for free (a subscription permitting downloading of the entire study costs money). I wouldn't be surprised to find some work on autism there. It's very much a current topic as recent research has found signs of autism where other learning disabilities were originally diagnosed.

Joanne

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Thanks, schoolmarm. Maybe if you could PM or e-mail me about your experiences dealing with autistic kids?

Also, does anyone know the cause of autism? Based on my experience, there must be a gene somewhere that predetermines wether a kid will have autism or not, but I've been told it has something to do with the conservatives in vaccines. Any thoughts?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The vaccine link has been pretty thoroughly discredited--the debate has been all over the media. there are no reliable predictors although there is a genetic companent and cases are on the increase in developed nations, for unknown reasons.

However if you have no beein following the scientific debate might it no make more sense to take a more personal perspective--perhaps telling concrete stories about the challenges of living with autism or with loved ones with autism, and how to overcome them.

Anastacia

Milk Maker
Registered
Reaction score
I have written several articles on vaccination, am currently exploring the possibility of a book about the subject and have done lots and lots of research about this issue.

There is no link between vaccination and autism. None whatsoever. Any other assertion is false.

Those who believe that vaccination is linked to autism essentially make two arguments:

1. minute amounts of thimerosol, a mercury based preservative used in vaccination, have caused autism in their children.

2. the Measles Mumps and Rubella vaccine (which never had any thimerosol in it) caused autism.

These are inaccurate assertions. Massive studies have been conducted all around the world. Such studies have NEVER found a link between autism and thimerosol. Indeed once the presevative was removed, autism rates did not go down.

The alleged MMR link comes primarily from one notorious study of twelve children by Doctor Andrew Wakefield. His results require one to believe six separate hypothesis and have never been replicated since.

The current thinking about autism is that it is a genetic disease that is being diagnosed more often today because the criteria for diagnosis have been expanded. For instance in the 1970's, one could not have a diagnosis of autism unless a patient had hand flapping. This is no longer true.

There is also the fact that more funding has been directed towards the education of children with this diagnosis. A parent might prefer this label rather than say emotionally disturbed because more resources are available to treat it.

For more information, here are some very good links:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimfaq.htm
http://www.immunize.org/mmrautism/index.htm
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006D970.htm
http://www.immunizationinfo.org/immunization_issues_detail.cfv?id=17
http://www.immunizationinfo.org/thimerosal_mercury_detail.cfv?id=42

Status
Not open for further replies.