PDA

View Full Version : The Avengers

Pages : [1] 2

J.S.F.
05-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Anyone seen The Avengers yet? Great flick. I never thought I'd ever see a live-action film which integrated so many superheroes doing what they do so well. Good music, excellent direction, Hulk gets to smash--CGI or no, he really gets the funniest scenes--and it all works out in the end. Well worth seeing, even if you're not a fan of the genre.

Manuel Royal
05-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Well, although it's already playing in a bunch o' them foreign countries, the picture doesn't get general release in the U.S. until this Friday (outside of the premiere in Hollywood a couple of weeks ago, and the Tribeca Film Festival). Wait four days and you'll get a better discussion.

I know my girlfriend is ready; she's taking the day off so we can hit the first Friday showing.

ETA: Where did you see the movie, J.S.F.? For whatever reason, it doesn't open in Japan until August. (According to IMDB; though sometimes they're wrong.)

Cyia
05-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Everything I've heard is positive so far. Even the use of 3-D's getting a thumbs up and that's pretty rare.

dragonjax
05-01-2012, 03:54 AM
We're going to catch a Saturday matinee. We even watched Iron Man 2, Captain America and Thor this weekend to get ready for it! **rubs hands gleefully**

(Just saw a commercial for it. Cap turns to Hulk and says, "Hulk? Smash." And Hulk does so. It was fabulous. I love nods like that to the comics -- like in Thor, when Jane gives Thor a shirt and it has a "Hello, my name is" sticker still on it, and it says "Donald Blake, MD" -- I had to explain to my husband why that was a hat tip to the comic book.)

Toothpaste
05-01-2012, 03:58 AM
So many reasons to be excited for this.

And they are: Chris, Chris, Sam, Jeremy, Tom, Mark and Rob.

(yes I like Scarlet as well, but come on, red blooded female here, I have my priorities . . . :) )

Okay, I'm also very excited to see the team together and for some awesome smashy smashy :) . Is it wrong though that I'm most excited about Loki?

Mr Flibble
05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Went to see this on Sunday. Very good.

Perhaps not quite as good as this (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/review-neill-cumpston-returns-to-review-the-avengers) review suggests (though the review is pretty damned funny)

Maybe I was just disappointed at 'not enough Thor to stare at' :D And yeah, the Hulk gets all the best bits - love how he doesn't hulk up till further on, and the film shows just how smart Banner is. The Hulk was, actually, I think one of the best film representations of him.

Priene
05-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I saw it on Sunday, and it was indeed good. I thought Robert Downey Jnr won the battle of the actors, but I'm an Iron Man geek.

PeterHill
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
It is amazing! Saw it on the 26th and the entire audience laughed at everything that was meant to be funny! The action was gripping from start to finish and Mark Ruffalo and Tom Hiddleston were brilliant and shone out! The other actors were great too also.

Seraph
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Went to see this on Sunday. Very good.

Perhaps not quite as good as this (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/review-neill-cumpston-returns-to-review-the-avengers) review suggests (though the review is pretty damned funny)

Just read the other ones by that guy. Awesome. Not the Avengers one though cause this is one movie I won't see spoilerd. Man am I looking forward to it. Joss Whedon deserves this success. Just ecstatic the guy responsible for some of my favourite TV is rocking the big screen. Hopefully he wins an Oscar, but he probably won't cause critics hate things as mainstream and lowbrow as comics movies, but then again they've been lapping it up. Insane RT rating going on.

Fallen
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Kids are really bummed they can't go and see this.

Mr Flibble
05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Kids are really bummed they can't go and see this.

Why not? Too young or....? It's a 12 advisory.

Cyia
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Something I really love about this is that The Avengers wouldn't have worked if the individual superhero movies had tanked. It was a huge risk to start building "the team" four or five years ago with this being the end goal. What they ended up with was a group of actors who were each capable of carrying a film franchise.

Jcomp
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Looking forward to this, but I've been wanting to ask, am I the only one who thinks Hawkeye and Black Widow look pretty damn useless in these trailers? I mean, you've got the ever-loving Hulk, the god of thunder, Tony Stark and his array of high-tech weaponry, and Captain America who, all right, doesn't bring as much offensive firepower as the ones aforementioned, but he provides tactical combat leadership and he's at least beefed up on superhero steroids.

Then you've got the dude with the bow and arrow and the gal with the pistol. What the hell do they do: make bagel-runs? I'm sure they'll have an important role and prove themselves worthy to stand beside the others and blah blah blah, but come on now. How are those two not superfluous?

Cyia
05-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Maybe they're hoping for irony with Hawkeye shooting Loki with a mistletoe arrow or some such, and I guess they had to have a girl. (Though it's not like there aren't other alternatives. Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Firestar, Spider-Woman, etc.)

Toothpaste
05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Scarlet was in the second IRON MAN and had quite a lot to do. I suggest you watch IRON MAN 2 to see what the girl with the gun is capable of.

As for Hawkeye . . . meh . . . even if all he does is stand around looking confused, I'm good. I adore Jeremy Renner.

Manuel Royal
05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Just sorry we don't have comicdom's happiest couple, Henry Pym and Janet van Dyne.

Jcomp
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Scarlet was in the second IRON MAN and had quite a lot to do. I suggest you watch IRON MAN 2 to see what the girl with the gun is capable of.

I've seen Iron Man 2, and she was very adept indeed at infiltrating a security base and knocking out some dudes. That's great. This appears to be a full-scale invasion helmed by a malevolent Norse god. The pistol seems a bit useless at that point. It's like teaming up Jason Bourne with the JLA. Might as well be bring your kid to work day.

And don't even get me started on Hawkeye. I'm imagining Nick Fury looking at him like, "You couldn't at least find a musket, motherf*****?"

And yes, I know it's not that serious. I'm 99% joking. But this is just a common thing in stories involving superhero teams. I just find it amusing. I feel the same about the X-Men. Storm and Jean by themselves render most of the other X-Men useless. Telekinesis and telepathy + throwing lightning and tornadoes at people = why do we need you other fools again?

dragonjax
05-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Just sorry we don't have comicdom's happiest couple, Henry Pym and Janet van Dyne.

This had me laughing for a good two minutes straight. Oh, man -- Yellowjacket and Wasp. Oh, man. Good times, in the "lots of therapy" way. :)

Mr Flibble
05-02-2012, 12:23 AM
She's good at getting info by playing on people's assumptions about women :D (Although the women and their roles in this film...Ol' Joss coulda done better there tbh, though it could have been a lot worse too)

Diana Hignutt
05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Going Friday. Can Not Wait. I'm hearing great things. Time Magazine was quite kind to Joss and the film.

J.S.F.
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Going Friday. Can Not Wait. I'm hearing great things. Time Magazine was quite kind to Josh and the film.

-----

It's amazing Whedon and crew managed to integrate the action scenes in such a way as to emulate a cartoon--where it's somewhat easier to do, in a way--and exceed all expectations. The script gives the heroes a good opportunity to air their grievances with each other and almost verges into self-parody--almost but not quite. Yet, it never loses sight of the action and there's nary a dull moment.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Diana Hignutt
05-02-2012, 04:19 PM

They'll probably turn up in the/a sequel. An Antman project (originally set to star Simon Pegg, I think) is still in the works.

Ultron would be another great villain, speaking of the Pyms.

Diana Hignutt
05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
-----

It's amazing Whedon and crew managed to integrate the action scenes in such a way as to emulate a cartoon--where it's somewhat easier to do, in a way--and exceed all expectations. The script gives the heroes a good opportunity to air their grievances with each other and almost verges into self-parody--almost but not quite. Yet, it never loses sight of the action and there's nary a dull moment.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Yeah, and Whedon said, he immediately saw his story: We used to be like Cap, loyal, helping each other, selfless, but now, we're like Tony Stark, self-absorbed asshats. There's your character conflict. Is that pretty much, correct, in your opinion?

Vince524
05-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Has anyone seen this trailer? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jBF912xYY&feature=player_embedded)

J.S.F.
05-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah, and Whedon said, he immediately saw his story: We used to be like Cap, loyal, helping each other, selfless, but now, we're like Tony Stark, self-absorbed asshats. There's your character conflict. Is that pretty much, correct, in your opinion?

---

Yup, pretty much, but it's a tad more complex than that. Basically, when the chips are down, they forget about their individual petty differences and kick alien butt.

"Puny god" says the Hulk in the flick. (Sorry, couldn't resist!:D)

Vince, that trailer is simply a mashup of TV shows and movies from the late 70's and early 80's. I should know--I watched all that stuff back then!

krashnburn
05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
For those have seen it, will a 5 year old be Okay with it? He's already seen the other movies and loves them, especially Iron Man, but sometimes I have to explain a few things. If he managed through the others pretty well, do you think there'd be a lot of "Mommy, why?" during the movie. He's seen the commercials and is super excited, so I'd like to take him if it won't be too over his head.

Vince524
05-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Has anyone seen this trailer? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jBF912xYY&feature=player_embedded)

---

Vince, that trailer is simply a mashup of TV shows and movies from the late 70's and early 80's. I should know--I watched all that stuff back then!

I know, but I thought it was so cool! I mean, they even added KISS in there!!!

Diana Hignutt
05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
For those have seen it, will a 5 year old be Okay with it? He's already seen the other movies and loves them, especially Iron Man, but sometimes I have to explain a few things. If he managed through the others pretty well, do you think there'd be a lot of "Mommy, why?" during the movie. He's seen the commercials and is super excited, so I'd like to take him if it won't be too over his head.

I checked at fandango. The movie has its rating because of sci-fi/fantasy action violence and a mild drug reference. Probably fine for your boy.

Manuel Royal
05-03-2012, 04:10 AM
That's a pretty clever mash-up, really. Paul Lynd as Loki!

The "Iron Man" figure I recognize as being from a 1977 tv-movie called Exo-Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076008/). Yeah, I watched a lot of crap when I was growing up.

J.S.F.
05-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Exo-Man FTW!

Ironically, the suit itself has been one of the models for modern-day doctors designing "walking" suits for paraplegics. Lousy movie, but a great idea.

Atlantis
05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
I thought it was okay. It wasn't as dumb and pointless as the Transformers Movies but it wasn't one of Joss's best either. I liked the character of Black Widow and how Bruce was written. Black Widow's first scene was awesome! Very typical Joss. She was like a cross between Buffy and the chick from Serenity, I forget her name. The one Summer plays. I thought it was a decent super hero flick but it didn't keep me glued to my seat like Hunger Games did.

K. Taylor
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Shawarma! :roll::roll::roll:
God, that movie was funny. IMAX 3D AWESOME.

Atlantis, that would be River Tam.

Diana Hignutt
05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Got my ticks for today, 3D at 3:45 EDT...

Manuel Royal
05-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Okay, that was pretty great.

Haven't heard so much audience reaction at a movie in some time. I think people missed Hulk's best line because they were applauding.

Joss Whedon has definitely grown as a writer. (A few years back, I noticed he and I shared several strengths and weaknesses. I have two extra weaknesses, and Whedon has an extra strength and an extra weakness that actually acts as a strength.)

I would have only added one line. Then again, maybe it's better unspoken.

mscelina
05-04-2012, 10:49 PM
The movie is a good strong action film, make no mistake. But the Hulk? He has two of the best--and shortest--fight scenes in the movie. I laughed until I cried and then I hurt for a few minutes because I'd laughed so hard. Very entertaining and a lot of fun!

CrastersBabies
05-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Holy cow. Best superhero movie I've seen. Period. Joss Whedon directed the hell out of the show. Most "team" movies like this have one or two main characters that get all the attention, or, they stretch the attention too thin and you have a hard time caring for any of the characters.

I don't know how Whedon did it, but I felt like every character got some awesome screen time, moved their perspective character arcs along nicely, and I never got confused as to who was doing what and where everyone was.

Hands down, one of the best sequences in any action/comic movie, is when they moved from character to character in one nice, long shot, following the shield to Hawkeye's arrow to Hulk. So awesome. Everyone was important. Everyone was necessary. And the fact that I shed a tear when Tony went through the portal? Damn. Damn damn damn.

What impressed me the very most? Is that someone (imho) FINALLY got The Hulk right. Mark Ruffalo was great, sure, but the issue I had with previous Hulk incarnations was that they always try to build in the love story and have Bruce Banner fighting against himself, trying not to get mad, then they bring in the generals and the tanks and the whole damn army. What Hulk needed all along was a real villain to take out.

And I agree with mscelina, there was one moment (Hulk moment) when I laughed so hard I cried and the whole theater erupted in applause.

So, my biggest worry is that if they do a sequel, they'll get some asshat to direct it instead of Joss Whedon. Joss needs to stay with this franchise. Period.

Did you all stay to the very end (after the credits) to see them eating some, uh.... schwarza? Whatever it's called? Funny scene.

J.S.F.
05-05-2012, 03:25 AM
This version of the Hulk didn't seem as massive as it was in the second Hulk movie but it was impressive enough. His little 'GTFO' moment with Thor was priceless, as was his 'WHAM WHAM WHAM' (pause) 'WHAM WHAM' scene with Loki. A true case of LMAO 'til I cried. Very comic-booky but it worked.

If they're going to make a sequel, then I hope Whedon directs it. He clearly has a handle on how to get an ensemble cast to work together and set up the action scenes and knows this genre better than anyone with maybe the exception of Jon Favreau.

dclary
05-05-2012, 03:35 AM
"I used to be a God like you, but then I took a Hulk to the everything."

K. Taylor
05-05-2012, 03:51 AM
The Shawarma scene at the end still has me giggling to think of it.

"Puny god." :ROFL:

Then Loki sits up, looks at the whole team staring at him, and says "I think I'll take that drink now." Ha!

I'll miss Phil.

Manuel Royal
05-05-2012, 04:21 AM
I'll miss Phil.Me, too. No posturing, no powers, no tough talk -- but one of the most heroic characters in a superhero movie.

And well-enough established, starting with the first Iron Man movie, that it means something when he dies. One of the best lines, better for not being completed: "This never would have worked ... if they didn't have something to ...."

J.S.F.
05-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Me, too. No posturing, no powers, no tough talk -- but one of the most heroic characters in a superhero movie.

And well-enough established, starting with the first Iron Man movie, that it means something when he dies. One of the best lines, better for not being completed: "This never would have worked ... if they didn't have something to ...."
---

He always underplayed his role with a nice, dry, sort of ironic way of saying things. Phil will be missed.

nighttimer
05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Looking forward to this, but I've been wanting to ask, am I the only one who thinks Hawkeye and Black Widow look pretty damn useless in these trailers? I mean, you've got the ever-loving Hulk, the god of thunder, Tony Stark and his array of high-tech weaponry, and Captain America who, all right, doesn't bring as much offensive firepower as the ones aforementioned, but he provides tactical combat leadership and he's at least beefed up on superhero steroids.

Then you've got the dude with the bow and arrow and the gal with the pistol. What the hell do they do: make bagel-runs? I'm sure they'll have an important role and prove themselves worthy to stand beside the others and blah blah blah, but come on now. How are those two not superfluous?

Wait until you see the movie. I don't think you'll be nearly as skeptical that Hawkeye and the Black Widow are totally superfluous supporting characters.

I went this morning with my wife (who loves her some Robert Downey, Jr.) and my know-it-all 17-year-old daughter who loves Chris Evans face and Chris Hemsworth's arms.

My inner-most fanboy has been doing a happy dance all day long. For me The Avengers has dethroned Spider-Man 2 as the second-best superhero movie of all time and by a WIDE margin. It can't touch the force of nature known as The Dark Knight, but The Dark Knight Rises will have to be killing it to beat this.

What does a $200 million budget buy? Everything I think I could have dreamed of for The Avengers and then some. It's eye-popping entertainment and yes, even Scarlett Johannson is given something to do besides be token eye-candy for the guys. Tom Hiddleston's Loki makes a great bad guy even if his master plan doesn't really hang together. The movie takes some time to get going but once it does, it works wonderfully.

Joss Whedon knows how to balance out a diverse group of characters and do it such a way that nobody feels short-changed or disappears off-screen for extended periods of time. It's a masterful bit of direction by him. He's going to be able to write his own ticket after this one.

I can't say much more about this movie but to say it's much better than I could have hoped and I will be seeing it again. Oh, and after two movies where they couldn't quite get the Hulk right, Whedon gets it right and then some. Hulk smash puny film up good!

This being a Marvel movie you will have to stay through the credits. There are two easter eggs thrown in. One that only comic book geeks will get and another that is...kinda different.

Make Mine The Avengers! :hooray::Jump::snoopy::TheWave::Trophy::e2woo:

This movie might be a little intense in parts for a five-year-old. He'll probably squirm and yawn a bit for the first 30 minutes and he might be a little scared of the Hulk or the final battle sequences. There's no blood or bad language, but if he's never seen a super-hero movie, this might not be where he should start.

You can take him, but just be prepared to explain that the violence is all make-believe and he probably can handle it.

Sheryl Nantus
05-05-2012, 03:15 PM

As long as you can keep him under control - went yesterday to the 4:30 pm showing and there was a kid, maybe 3-4 with his family who wouldn't shut up. After the row emptied around the kid it fell to the usher to get mom, dad, one smaller kid and the noisy one to leave.

What killed me wasn't that the wee one was noisy - it was that mom/dad weren't doing ANYTHING to keep him quiet. No shushing, no giving him a candy during the less frantic moments at the start to keep him entertained. They did nothing until tossed out.

Excellent movie. We will be seeing this in 3D!

... then we came home and sniffled when we saw FX playing Iron Man and caught Phil meeting Pepper at the office.

:(

(and GREAT Pepper/Tony stuff! YAY!)

Mr Flibble
05-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Did you all stay to the very end (after the credits) to see them eating some, uh.... schwarza? Whatever it's called? Funny scene.

We heard there was a scene after the credits, so we sat through them and got....nada. :(

Diana Hignutt
05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Magnificent!

"I am a god. I will not be bullied by..."

CrastersBabies
05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
As long as you can keep him under control - went yesterday to the 4:30 pm showing and there was a kid, maybe 3-4 with his family who wouldn't shut up. After the row emptied around the kid it fell to the usher to get mom, dad, one smaller kid and the noisy one to leave.

What killed me wasn't that the wee one was noisy - it was that mom/dad weren't doing ANYTHING to keep him quiet. No shushing, no giving him a candy during the less frantic moments at the start to keep him entertained. They did nothing until tossed out.

Excellent movie. We will be seeing this in 3D!

... then we came home and sniffled when we saw FX playing Iron Man and caught Phil meeting Pepper at the office.

(and GREAT Pepper/Tony stuff! YAY!)

Good grief, I hate rude, thoughtless movie-goers. I get that some parents can tune their kids out, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world can.

My daughter is 4 (almost 5) and she LOVES superheroes, but we thought her too young. There are a few parts of talking and exposition and she would have likely squirmed and complained during those, or asked, "is it over yet?"

This is, imho, better for kids at home if they can't sit through dialogue and expository moments. Not that Whedon has a lot of down-time, mind you (he uses his time very efficiently), but, yeah. If I had to put an age limit on this, I'd say 7, maybe 8. I did see some 5 and 6 year olds there (all boys, and all REALLY into Captain America), and didn't hear a peep out of them. So, maybe it depends on the kid? My only suggestion is not to be a douche and to look at your child's viewing habits very objectively.

CrastersBabies
05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
We heard there was a scene after the credits, so we sat through them and got....nada. :(

That's lame! Did you get the short clip right after the credits started. Apparently, there was a short deal a minute after the credits started. Then, one at the very very end of the credits. Sucks that you didn't see that very last one.

Cyia
05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
That final clip's on YouTube, if it's viewable in your region.

Racey
05-06-2012, 03:57 AM
I really loved this movie. The entire crowd were laughing altogether at the funny scenes and I myself haven't actually LOL'd at a movie as much as I did this one, not for quite a while.

As a Robert Downey Jr fan, I was there for the Iron Man-ness but I have to say all the characters were great. The Hulk was the best out of the modern movies, I didn't quite love the other Hulks as much as this one! I haven't seen Thor or Captn America *ducks for cover* but I am definitely going to watch them now, can't wait.

Awesome movie and great in 3d!!
I didn't get to see the scene after credits rolled, so I think that's the excuse I can use to go and see it again ;)

Manuel Royal
05-06-2012, 04:10 AM
I haven't seen Thor or Captn America *ducks for cover* but I am definitely going to watch them now, can't wait.Captain America was especially good, and had a lot of fun little nods to Golden Age comics. Plus, there's nothing like the combination of WW2 and super-science.

FalconMage
05-06-2012, 04:18 AM
I feel the same about the X-Men. Storm and Jean by themselves render most of the other X-Men useless. Telekinesis and telepathy + throwing lightning and tornadoes at people = why do we need you other fools again?
Heh.

But that's actually something I've always enjoyed about X-Men. They aren't just plainly powered. Storm's abilities require open space. She can' just generate lightning bolts in a living room. And Jean Grey's power stems from a being or personality that isn't really under her control. I think the X-Men and related storylines do that sort of "consequence" very well, and the movies seemed to get some of that (oversimplified, IMO, but at least they tried). That's what makes Rogue such a favorite for me. More so in the comics than in the movies.

Back on the rails, I want to give the crowds a week to die down just a bit. Next weekend, I hope.

Polenth
05-06-2012, 04:28 AM

Same here. Maybe they cut it in the UK version?

raburrell
05-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Saw it today - worth all the raves.

For whoever asked about the 5 yr old - mine got a little squirmy during some of the non-action sequences, but he was pretty much rapt the entire time. (And would've been duly wrestled into submission otherwise ;)) According to him, nothing was too scary either.

shawkins
05-06-2012, 04:40 AM

Sorry guys. I read somewhere the 2nd trailer scene was only in the u.s. release. It was a consolation prize for the release being a week later here or some such.

dirtsider
05-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Saw it today. Joss Whedon did a fantastic job tying all the threads of the previous films into a coherent whole. And yeah, the audience laughed a lot at various points. The "Loki vs. Hulk" face-off near the end was hysterical. But then Joss Whedon knows his snark.

The easter egg at the very end of the credits was great.

CrastersBabies
05-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Captain America was especially good, and had a lot of fun little nods to Golden Age comics. Plus, there's nothing like the combination of WW2 and super-science.

See, I didn't like Captain America so much, but the things you mention are what made it tolerable for me. I did like Hugo Weaving quite a bit. :)

Mr Flibble
05-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Sorry guys. I read somewhere the 2nd trailer scene was only in the u.s. release. It was a consolation prize for the release being a week later here or some such.

Pfft - we don't get consolation prizes when it's the other way round. *mutter mutter mutter*

CrastersBabies
05-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Pfft - we don't get consolation prizes when it's the other way round. *mutter mutter mutter*

I could show you my virtual boobs instead?
( o )( o )

nighttimer
05-06-2012, 01:26 PM

Sorry kids, it does appear the Easter-egg-AFTER-the Easter-egg was limited to the U.S. prints. It's almost an outtake in terms of actual significance, but there is a story behind why it was shot, but you should only read it IF you have seen the movie.

Many who had seen The Avengers just days earlier couldn’t fathom the concept: Marvel was shooting a new scene two days after the Hollywood premiere? Wha ….?

Lo and behold, The Avengers did have another post-credits scene in the works, and EW learned all about it when we interviewed Whedon and the rest of the superhero cast for the exclusive roundtable discussion that would become last week’s cover story.

That conversation answered a few burning questions, among them: how was Chris Evans going to recreate Captain America, since he not only had a buzz cut now (easily fixed with a wig) but he had a full beard — and still did a day after shooting? (That, obviously, is not so easily fixed.)

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/04/backstory-avengers-secret/

Magnificent!

"I am a god. I will not be bullied by..."

That one had 'em ROFL and doing spit-takes. :ROFL:

robeiae
05-06-2012, 05:13 PM

To quote the guy in the purple skirt, from Avengers #174:

"That depends on whether you're judging by raw power or skill, Collector! I may not be much in the first category! On the other hand...in the second...Hawkeye is the best there is!"

EmmersonGrant
05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
It premiered here on the 27th and I snagged tickets to the 10:30pm show and it did not disappoint.
It is, bar none, the best movie I've ever seen. The dialogue, the nods, the interaction between characters. Puny God and GTFO Thor were the moments when I laughed until my stomach hurt.

I saw it once with my wife and then we took the kids to see it (11 an 8) in Spanish (loved the dub). I'm thinking a third viewing in 2D is required, 'cause 3D is still too dark in some parts.

DC, this is how you do a superhero team movie. Well done, Marvel. Well done.

thekingsguard
05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Utterly blown away by it (http://korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com/2012/05/avengers.html), seen it two more times since I reviewed it, still loved it. I'd say its the best comic book movie ever made, ark Knight included.

dirtsider
05-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm thinking of going to see this again, once the crowds die down a bit. It was great to see it with the crowds but there were a couple of points where some of the dialogue got drowned out by the laughter. But then, I'm the type of person who re-reads books I liked, once for the overview of the plot, then again to get the details.

Smiley0501
05-07-2012, 07:11 AM
I saw this on opening night and really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen Thor so I had some questions about his character and Loki, but other than that...really enjoyed it. I loved it when Capt'n America would "get" references from his era lol, poor guy coming into the future without a clue. :D I was a little antsy about all the 'heroes getting together, but Whedon did a good job of that.

I did think the build up was a bit...much, but eh its Joss Whedon - that's to be expected, no?

MVK
05-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I'll join in the chorus. The movie was excellent. I'm glad I saw it with a full theather because the crowd's reactions enhanced it. But I'm looking forward to seeing it later where I can hear everything.

MttStrn
05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Just got back from it and all I can say is that the Avengers just assembled in my pants.

J.S.F.
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Just got back from it and all I can say is that the Avengers just assembled in my pants.

---

You say that like it's a good thing.:D

(It is, isn't it?).

No, the movie did not disappoint in any way, shape, or form. What I liked most among the great special effects, the humor (Hulk vs Thor and Hulk wiping the floor with Loki, among other great moment) almost--but not quiet--parodied a lot of the lines from the Marvel comics, and the characters were really well-defined in terms of how they rolled. Disparate in their reasons for fighting, yes, but it worked.

Some people I've spoken to didn't really like Black Widow as she is the weakest of all the superheroes in that she has no awesome powers to Hulk out or use a magic hammer or doesn't have superstrength, speed, etc. etc. Eye-candy, or so they said. However, she does have the martial-arts skills and gives balance to the whole thing. Sure, Scarlett is pretty with a killer bod but she played her part extremely well and the scene with Loki actually made me think of Jodi Foster 'interrogating' Hannibal Lecter. Clever touch and superbly done by both actors.

Cannot wait for the sequel. (The Dark Knight gets first dibs on my cash, though).:)

CrastersBabies
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't get people whining about Black Widow. I thought she was a big highlight in the movie. Previous movies had her as window dressing, but they gave her some meat this time around. She owned Hawkeye.

dclary
05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't get people whining about Black Widow. I thought she was a big highlight in the movie. Previous movies had her as window dressing, but they gave her some meat this time around. She owned Hawkeye.

In the first full trailer, they show the "circling up the wagons" scene with Hulk, Iron Man, Cappy, Hawkeye... Each one prepping for the final battle... and right there with them is Black Widow with a 9mm. It begs (screams) the question "Why the fuck is she in the middle of this?"

Two things Joss Whedon does fantastically is team regular old mortals like Xander or Wash and give them both a reason and a way to be integrally vital to the survival of the supers they're with.

The scene with Loki did more than show that she was a capable member of the group -- as she said afterward, it showed why she had to be there, why she HAD to fight, underpowered champion though she was: she had been emotionally compromised. She needed to clean her slate.

K. Taylor
05-08-2012, 05:04 AM
The complaining has to be coming from people ignorant of Black Widow's comic history, as she's not just a plain human with excellent training. Black Widow's physical and mental abilities - notably her speed, agility, reflexes, stamina, recall and concentration - were enhanced slightly beyond human limits through unspecified secret technologies.

Parametric
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Saw it and loved it. Laughter and cheering in the cinema. I'd like to watch all the Marvel movies before I rewatch The Avengers, since I missed a few. Anyone know what the chronology is? I'd like to see Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Hulk, Captain America, etc.

K. Taylor
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

I'm not sure either of the Hulk movies already done lead into Avengers, but the 4 above definitely did.

Iron Man 3 is currently preparing to film this summer.

Parametric
05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks, KT. I'll line 'em up and knock 'em down. :D It won't be too much of a chore to rewatch the Iron Man movies, that's for sure.

onesecondglance
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Saw it on Friday and loved it. When I first heard that there was going to be an Avengers movie years back I cringed - I just thought it was going to be a mess. When I heard during development that they were introducing characters not seen in the films before like Hawkeye I cringed again - no way they could handle that *and* make a good ensemble film, right?

Wrong. It's just plain good fun. And it has just the right amount of plot - enough to sustain the action over two and a bit hours, no more. So we don't get annoying plot threads from previous films coming in, or the individual characters all wrestling with stuff inconsequential to the main arc. It keeps it light on its feet and able to just have a good time with the core concept. That's not to say there isn't continuity, but it's not burdened down with making sure every last plot point has been established in previous films.

Plus you could actually tell what was going on in the action scenes. Eat that, Michael Bay! :D

K. Taylor
05-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks, KT. I'll line 'em up and knock 'em down. :D It won't be too much of a chore to rewatch the Iron Man movies, that's for sure.

Don't forget the little scenes at the end of the credits of each, and the short skits in the features. it's a pretty rich little movie universe.

onesecondglance
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

I'm not sure either of the Hulk movies already done lead into Avengers, but the 4 above definitely did.

Iron Man 3 is currently preparing to film this summer.

According to this Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe) the more recent Hulk movie sits between the two Iron Man films.

Jcomp
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Exactly as good as advertised.

Jcomp
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
According to this Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe) the more recent Hulk movie sits between the two Iron Man films.

Yes. It also had an Easter Egg at the end where Stark approaches the General about "putting a team together."

Toothpaste
05-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Edward Norton as THE INCREDIBLE HULK is the one that is part of the series (as opposed to the Ang Lee directed one from several years earlier), and it came out between the two IRON MANs. Norton was supposed to be in THE AVENGERS, but there were politics and stuff and not sure what happened, but they had to replace him with Ruffalo. Who was excellent in THE AVENGERS film.

Also, anyone else impressed that Hiddleston can play Loki as understated? :)

Jcomp
05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I think Hiddelston's Loki is pitch-perfect. He's a smug, manipulative, homicidal worm, and yet somehow he's very close to likable. I almost wanted to see him get away. Hiddelston turned Loki into the Hans Gruber of comic book villains.

K. Taylor
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Edward Norton as THE INCREDIBLE HULK is the one that is part of the series (as opposed to the Ang Lee directed one from several years earlier), and it came out between the two IRON MANs. Norton was supposed to be in THE AVENGERS, but there were politics and stuff and not sure what happened, but they had to replace him with Ruffalo. Who was excellent in THE AVENGERS film.

Also, anyone else impressed that Hiddleston can play Loki as understated? :)

I knew about Ed Norton, yeah. Just didn't see the film. Norton's notoriously.....difficult to work with.

dirtsider
05-09-2012, 01:37 AM
I love Hiddleston as Loki. There's a couple places where I was going "Yep, that's definitely the God of Mischief!" The scene where he was in Germany during that Gala, I had a grin on my face because that's something I can see him doing for the very effect he got - people freaking all over the place.

elindsen
05-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Saw it. Loved it. Excited about Thanos

Smiley0501
05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I had no idea about Norton, but I thought Ruffalo did an excellent job.

Also, when I saw AVENGERS I had not seen THOR. Should I go back and see it? Was it worth it? It was pretty easy for me, for the most part, to get what was going on (I had to ask my friend who Loki was but a quick whisper & I got it)...

CrastersBabies
05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I really liked Thor. Better than I ever imagined I would. I thought it would be the lamest of the super hero movies, but honestly? It was fun little film. They spend quite a bit of time in Asgard, so it's nice to get a sense of what that place is and how it functions.

I'd definitely recommend it. :)

J.S.F.
05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I really liked Thor. Better than I ever imagined I would. I thought it would be the lamest of the super hero movies, but honestly? It was fun little film. They spend quite a bit of time in Asgard, so it's nice to get a sense of what that place is and how it functions.

I'd definitely recommend it. :)

---

Second the recommendation. CGI was done well but not overdone, the acting was quite good, and there's a really funny bit when Colson describes the 'Warriors Three' as they stroll down the street.

Very surprised at Ray Stevenson's performance. I saw him in Punisher 2: War Zone and while the movie had its moments Stevenson's performance could best be described as wooden. Not in Thor. He really was a standout and the entire cast was fine. Definitely worth seeing.

Mr Flibble
05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I think Hiddelston's Loki is pitch-perfect. He's a smug, manipulative, homicidal worm, and yet somehow he's very close to likable. I almost wanted to see him get away. Hiddelston turned Loki into the Hans Gruber of comic book villains.

Oh, he was superb I thought.

And you know, when he didn't have his hair slicked back, kind of hot....

And I thought the Thor film was great fun. Didn't take itself too seriously, but was quite a blast. Hemsworth - I had my doubts about him beforehand, but he was excellent.

Toothpaste
05-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I had no idea about Norton, but I thought Ruffalo did an excellent job.

Also, when I saw AVENGERS I had not seen THOR. Should I go back and see it? Was it worth it? It was pretty easy for me, for the most part, to get what was going on (I had to ask my friend who Loki was but a quick whisper & I got it)...

Totally see THOR. The actual story is slight and silly (the romance in particular seems to come from nowhere), but the actors are just charming and delightful, especially Hemsworth as Thor and Hiddleston as Loki. It's as much an origins story for Loki as it is Thor, and the acting both fellows do is worthy of a much deeper film.

The comedy of the fish out of water stuff when Thor lands on Earth for the first time is truly hilarious. And there are some cool action sequences. Agent Coulson also has the a lot to do in this film, maybe next to the first Iron Man movie.

Oh and Kat Dennings is adorable in it.

maxmordon
05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Saw The Avengers during the weekend. Thought this is why 3-D worth its price. Pure Hollywood magic. Though, a little part of me wished for Fantastic 4 or Spiderman references so wield the Marvel Universe. I don't know, I guess I miss J.K. Simmons as J. J. Jameson.

Smiley0501
05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Totally see THOR. The actual story is slight and silly (the romance in particular seems to come from nowhere), but the actors are just charming and delightful, especially Hemsworth as Thor and Hiddleston as Loki. It's as much an origins story for Loki as it is Thor, and the acting both fellows do is worthy of a much deeper film.

The comedy of the fish out of water stuff when Thor lands on Earth for the first time is truly hilarious. And there are some cool action sequences. Agent Coulson also has the a lot to do in this film, maybe next to the first Iron Man movie.

Oh and Kat Dennings is adorable in it.

Awesome...with all these resounding 'yes' I'll have to take a look for it (where I can rent it - Netfl!x?). I'm excited to hear it is as much Loki's story - I found him the most interesting in AVENGERS :D (minus the weird/silly battle fight at the end lol). And ooooh Kat Dennings? love her!

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

jjdebenedictis
05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I walked out of that theatre with such a crush on Loki.

Which is weird, because the movie is chock-a-block with pretty, pretty men, and yet the pale, pointy-nosed guy with the flippy hair was the one giving me palpitations.

Well played, Mr. Hiddleston; well played.

Toothpaste
05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
It's because he's a fantastic actor. The fact, as I said above, that he can somehow underplay Loki is fantastic. Plus it's clear he is having a ball. I've had a crush since THOR, but it was his few moments in WAR HORSE that solidified it for me - again subtle and interesting. And so compelling.

Also, he's not so bad lookin' himself :) .

jjdebenedictis
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Also, he's not so bad lookin' himself :) .I saw a photo of him with his hair left natural (a bit curly) and sporting a ginger-ish goatee. Verrry dashing; mm-hmm. :D

Mr Flibble
05-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Totally see THOR.

Except if you see problems explaining to you kids that Bifrost is not actually a fricking laser. No, really.

Smiley0501
05-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Wait - who was he in WAR HORSE? (I hearted that movie to bits) I'll have to rewatch and look for him.

Also yes, crushing so hard on Loki. Why do I always heart the bad guys? :tongue

blacbird
05-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Honestly, I'm not remotely interested in going to a theater to see this movie. I'm just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of movies structured around loud flashy special effects and simplistic plots populated by stereotypes.

caw

Toothpaste
05-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Smiley - He was captain nichols, the guy who first takes the horse to war. The one who is also the artist and draws the horse. :)

Diana Hignutt
05-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Honestly, I'm not remotely interested in going to a theater to see this movie. I'm just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of movies structured around loud flashy special effects and simplistic plots populated by stereotypes.

caw

Actually, it's as character driven as popcorm movies get. The dynamic between Cap and Iron Man. The killing a popular character which is what really brings the team together...to avenge him. Black Widow's unconventional interogation techniques. The dynamic between Thor and his brother Loki. Banner.

There is some actual depth to this film, believe it or not.

It's got something for everyone.

Determination
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Saw it yesterday ... loved it!!!

Jcomp
05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Actually, it's as character driven as popcorm movies get. The dynamic between Cap and Iron Man. The killing a popular character which is what really brings the team together...to avenge him. Black Widow's unconventional interogation techniques. The dynamic between Thor and his brother Loki. Banner.

There is some actual depth to this film, believe it or not.

It's got something for everyone.

Indeed. As popcorn movies go, Avengers is the anti-Transformers.

defcon6000
05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
It's because he's a fantastic actor. The fact, as I said above, that he can somehow underplay Loki is fantastic. Plus it's clear he is having a ball. I've had a crush since THOR, but it was his few moments in WAR HORSE that solidified it for me - again subtle and interesting. And so compelling.

Also, he's not so bad lookin' himself :) .
Good news: He's coming back in Thor 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_2). Count me as a Loki fan as well. :D

Saw this movie over the weekend and loved it. Great way to kick off the summer flicks.

Smiley0501
05-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Smiley - He was captain nichols, the guy who first takes the horse to war. The one who is also the artist and draws the horse. :)

Ah thanks, Toothpaste. So he tends to play memorable characters :D I was going to say - the artist/Captain guy in WAR HORSE was pretty hot ;)

robeiae
05-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Just saw it...awesome!

Hawkeye is teh bomb. No way around it. And the acting really was superb, all the way around. I think Hemsworth carries himself just right for Thor. And the Hulk-Thor scenes were priceless, imo.

Also, I have it bad for Agent Maria Hill...

robeiae
05-11-2012, 12:34 AM

caw
You should probably skip this and go see Battleship.

jjdebenedictis
05-11-2012, 04:46 AM
You should probably skip this and go see Battleship.Oh, that's not nice. :ROFL:

jjdebenedictis
05-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Good news: He's coming back in Thor 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_2). Count me as a Loki fan as well. :D

Saw this movie over the weekend and loved it. Great way to kick off the summer flicks.Well, then. I guess I will be seeing Thor 2. I wasn't super impressed with the first movie, but now I'm a bit more, ahem, invested.

defcon6000
05-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Well, then. I guess I will be seeing Thor 2. I wasn't super impressed with the first movie, but now I'm a bit more, ahem, invested.
Same here. The best parts of Thor were the Loki scenes, which I think is why they're bringing him back. You can't have Thor without Loki, kind of like you can't have Batman without the Joker.

Magnas
05-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I took my sister to see the Avengers. We kept track of how many times Loki wound up on his back. It was pretty amusing.

jjdebenedictis
05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
One thing The Avengers movie was sadly lacking, however? Shirtless Thor scenes.

Toothpaste
05-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Totally! Lacking many shirtless scenes in general . . .

Mr Flibble
05-11-2012, 08:34 PM

HELL YES!!

Loved that in the Thor movie (You know, for a crazy homeless person... he's pretty cut) *drool*

Parametric
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM

We all know that women don't watch movies. I'm not sure women even exist. :tongue

Mr Flibble
05-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Maybe they were worried that we'd totally objectify all that man-candy, er, acting talent.

Like we would!

:roll:

Kaiser-Kun
05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

caw

Ah, you've seen Transformers, then? :P

You should give the Avengers a chance. It's the first time in decades that I went to the theater to see the same movie twice with the same girl (because she insisted, and I'm the geek). The characters are deeper than many in oscar movies, and the storyboard is among the best I've seen.

Best of all, this superhero movie doesn't take itself as seriously as... say, Batman or even Transformers. They know that they're kind of ridiculous, and they love every moment of it.

Sheryl Nantus
05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
When Loki hopped out of the truck I expected him to be hit by another car...

(Thor movie flashback)

:D

Kaiser-Kun
05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
After his "battle" with Hulk, I expected Loki to lit a cigarette or something. He had just the expression. If you know what I mean.

jjdebenedictis
05-12-2012, 01:11 AM
After his "battle" with Hulk, I expected Loki to lit a cigarette or something. He had just the expression. If you know what I mean.As much as I loved Loki, that scene was the highlight of the whole damned movie. :ROFL:

Kaiser-Kun
05-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Added a detail. (http://postimage.org/image/fd22pldsr/) Admit it, you thought the same thing.

dclary
05-12-2012, 03:01 AM
As much as I loved Loki, that scene was the highlight of the whole damned movie. :ROFL:

As my wizard said over at hard hobbit to break: "Why do they hate the Norse wizard so much?"

http://hardhobbittobreak.com/comics/2012-05-07-Cosplay.png

Nightingale
05-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I thought it was awsome!!!

rachelle elisabeth
05-12-2012, 04:12 AM
I honestly thought it was just okay. I've been looking forward to this movie for a while, especially after adoring the Captain America movie, and I just felt disappointed. I don't know if I just had my expectations too high or what. I found the humour all really forced and like they tried to hard to make an action movie a comedy. I d'know though, I enjoyed it overall though. And yes, so many good looking people in that movie I didn't know what to do with myself.

defcon6000
05-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Added a detail. (http://postimage.org/image/fd22pldsr/) Admit it, you thought the same thing.
That must've been a tough lay. :D

Violeta
05-13-2012, 02:22 AM
And yes, so many good looking people in that movie I didn't know what to do with myself.

Same here. :ROFL:
The movie (or better yet, the characters), surprised me. :hooray:

Calla Lily
05-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Fun, fun, fun. Best non-verbal bits: Capt. America handing $10 to Fury without a word; Hulk punching Thor after they've defeated the bad guys together. :)

Renee Collins
05-13-2012, 08:48 AM
LOVED it. And I really wasn't expecting to!

Also, I was reading through this thread and laughing. So happy to hear I wasn't the only one secretly crushing on Loki. :D

Seraph
05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Indeed. As popcorn movies go, Avengers is the anti-Transformers.

This movie really reveals Michael Bay for the hack that he is. Give an actual talent like Joss Whedon a vehicle like Avengers, see the result sitting beside Transformers, and it's like up to this point you've only had sugar-water but now some grade a koolaid comes along and you're like damn, I was settling. They really need to stop letting Michael Bay make movies.

Also, I have it bad for Agent Maria Hill...

Apparently her actress was considered for Wonderwoman in Joss's movie that never happened. Would have liked to see how that turned out. Now that Avengers is about to join the exclusive billion-dollar club, studios will be jumping over each other to throw money at him. Maybe he'll use his new swing to tackle something artsy or original.

K. Taylor
05-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I think currently Joss is working on post for this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094064/). Cool little passion project (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094064/trivia).

Teinz
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I loved the Avengers. I think I might have annoyed other visitors with my continued cheers and giggles. Felt like being twelve again.

richcapo
05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I can't stand the movie: there is virtually no plot, the jokes are cheesie, the action is overdone and blurry, Loki is annoying, the Hulk looks like a CGI nightmare, Downey, Jr. chews every piece of scenery he sets his eyes on, Nick Fury dresses like Morpheus, which is ridiculous to me, and is played by a man who can't act, et cetera. The only thing that is good about it is MR's Banner as far as I'm concerned, but that's moot because of everything else in the movie -- the bad stuff outweighs MR's contribution by a metric ton.

The Avengers is superhero porn in my opinion. Just God awful.

And no: Didn't go in with high or low expectations, didn't go in a "hater" or anything like that -- watched the movie with an open mind and still hate it.

Cyia
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I finally got to see it and it was amazing. Great actors, much more "depth" than you usually get in a superhero movie, and spot-on timing. The humorous bits were great - I know everyone cracks up at the Loki/Hulk deathmatch, but "Target angry! Target angry!" was one of my favorites.

The only thing I was a bit fuzzy on was Thor's entrance. So far as he knew, Loki was falling into a bottomless ravine, so his sudden appearance on earth seemed out of nowhere to me. And, I'll admit to expecting "a certain pivotal, but ill-fated character in a black suit" to show up at the very end, recovering in an infirmary somewhere, which I wouldn't have minded - I loved his interaction with the others.

Between Joss and JJ Abrams, it's becoming clear that all action films should be shot by television directors. They're used to tighter final cuts and they don't waste film, even when given extra run-time.

I actually got my mom to watch it and as we were leaving the theater, she got on the phone to her sister to tell her it was the best movie she'd seen in a long time. (She's not the biggest fan of action movies, so that's pretty high praise in her book :D )

Calla Lily
05-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Can someone answer this question for me?

In the extra clip after the first credits, who's the red guy that the evil aliens are going to send to Earth next? I'm completely unfamiliar with Avengers canon. (He sort of looked like Doomsday, but D. was gray, IIRC, and only after Superman.)

Thanks!

Kaiser-Kun
05-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Can someone answer this question for me?

Thanks!

He's called Thanos, pretty much an evil God of gods. He wiped the floor with everyone from the Fantastic Four, X-men, and Avengers in a story called the Infinity Guantlet. Oh, and he's the lover of the anthropomorphic personification of Death (hence the "consort with death" line). As supervillains go, it doesn't get much tougher than him.

Calla Lily
05-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Kaiser (and Zoombie for the rep)!

shawkins
05-14-2012, 01:36 AM
It just cracked $1 billion(!!!) worldwide gross. That's more than some CEOs make. I wonder if they'll do a sequel?

jjdebenedictis
05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Oh, I think they'll do a sequel. Just a hunch. :D

PS - Thank you from me also, Kaiser-Kun. I'm also not familiar with the canon.

Magnas
05-14-2012, 03:07 AM
It just cracked $1 billion(!!!) worldwide gross. That's more than some CEOs make. I wonder if they'll do a sequel?

It won't happen until after 2014 because Marvel is doing sequels for most of the main characters. Despite Mark Ruffalo's involvement, I am not looking forward to more Hulk movies.

Perks
05-14-2012, 03:46 AM
That was awesome. 'The Avengers' just became my second favorite superhero film of all time.

The only one of the lead-in films I really enjoyed was 'Ironman'. The rest were just okay for me. Admittedly, I'm not well-versed in the comicbook mythologies behind these films. I just know what I like.

Outside an overly long battle scene, this was just wonderful.

Tifferbugz
05-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Great movie! Funny and fun. I was worried that I'd be disappointed (high expectations for the franchise + <3 Whedon), but it was fabulous.

Jcomp
05-14-2012, 03:53 AM
It just cracked $1 billion(!!!) worldwide gross.

I can't imagine another movie touching these numbers for years, except perhaps the sequel. I don't think Battleship is going to contend with it much next week, and it may very well contend with and / or dominate MIB III for the number one spot in two weeks. It might not be dethroned from the domestic #1 until Snow White & the Huntsman.

Cyia
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Well, they said it didn't set the record. Avatar still holds that one :(

Shadow_Ferret
05-14-2012, 06:51 AM
It just cracked $1 billion(!!!) worldwide gross.

Huh. Maybe I'll go see it despite Joss Whedon then. :D

akaria
05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I've seen Battleship. Only see it if you hate yourself and enjoy drowning kittens in your spare time.

OTOH I finally saw the Avengers and Oh. My God. I haven't seen a superhero movie this good since...I don't even know. A true ensemble cast. Everyone used to highlight their abilities. So much smashing! The best Hulk yet. The scene with Black Widow running away from Hulk the first time he changed kept me on the edge of my seat. One wrong move and....Widow go squish. Thor's "He's adopted." Captain's "Flying monkey's. I get that!" Bickering between the geniuses. Heartfelt moment with Widow and Hawkeye. You know who might not be dead. Fury is notorious for effing with people. Plus a sneek peek at the sequel's Big Bad. Avengers has raised the bar for superhero movies.

This is the type of movie an unbelievably massive budget should give you. I'm gonna see it again later this week. I don't think I've ever seen a movie twice in the theatre. I don't worship at the altar of Whedon but he did a damn good job this time.

K. Taylor
05-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Iron Man 3 is filming this summer (May 3, 2013).
Thor 2 is greenlit (release date Nov 2013).
Cap. America 2 has an early date of Apr. 4, 2014, going into production after Thor 2 wraps.
There are a couple spots Avengers 2 could open in 2014, but it's more likely it won't come until 2015.

J.S.F.
05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I can't stand the movie: there is virtually no plot, the jokes are cheesie, the action is overdone and blurry, Loki is annoying, the Hulk looks like a CGI nightmare, Downey, Jr. chews every piece of scenery he sets his eyes on, Nick Fury dresses like Morpheus, which is ridiculous to me, and is played by a man who can't act, et cetera. The only thing that is good about it is MR's Banner as far as I'm concerned, but that's moot because of everything else in the movie -- the bad stuff outweighs MR's contribution by a metric ton.

The Avengers is superhero porn in my opinion. Just God awful.

And no: Didn't go in with high or low expectations, didn't go in a "hater" or anything like that -- watched the movie with an open mind and still hate it.
---

So tell us how you really felt.:D

Meh, haters gonna hate.:) Personally, I liked the movie not just for the acting--pretty good, considering it's a two-hour cosplay event--and the CGI was fine, but the funny bits made it all the better for me. Sure, the storyline was simple. What comic book adventure isn't? But the overall pace, the acting, the sharp direction and the editing, plus the fact that it's the first time a big-screen endeavor (superhero team-up) like this has been done and done really well, IMO, made it a plus for me.

Whedon knows his material and I don't think anyone else, save J.J Abrams, perhaps, could do so well at tying in various superheroes interacting so well.

Glad to hear sequels for all big name superheroes are in the works. I just wish DC would take a tip and do a really good Justice League movie. No reason why they couldn't. Still can't see Wonder Woman in a live action flick but then that's me. But Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern are already on the screen and have done well (GL wasn't a great movie although I enjoyed it) and now that The Avengers has shown everyone how to do it, no reason why a decent script can't be written for the JL. Ah, well, will have to get my Marvel fix in the future.....

Stacia Kane
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
---

I just wish DC would take a tip and do a really good Justice League movie. No reason why they couldn't. Still can't see Wonder Woman in a live action flick but then that's me. But Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern are already on the screen and have done well (GL wasn't a great movie although I enjoyed it) and now that The Avengers has shown everyone how to do it, no reason why a decent script can't be written for the JL. Ah, well, will have to get my Marvel fix in the future.....

They tried. They had one planned for a couple of years ago, but they had trouble getting it together, basically; they'd asked Bale if he'd be Batman in it and he refused(!!), their Wonder Woman film never came together, they can't seem to make a decent Catwoman film to save their lives because they chickened out on the last one, and Green Lantern was not a hit (sadly, because I really like Ryan Reynolds. A LOT). I don't remember the whole story but they did have one in the works and it just didn't work out.

And of course, now, if they try, they're just copying Marvel. (Ha! Ha! says the girl with friends who work at Marvel. ;))

I thought the Avengers was fantastic. I loved it.

And according to IMDB there's at least 30 minutes or so of deleted scenes that will be on the DVD release, so I'm excited about that.

J.S.F.
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
They tried. They had one planned for a couple of years ago, but they had trouble getting it together, basically; they'd asked Bale if he'd be Batman in it and he refused(!!), their Wonder Woman film never came together, they can't seem to make a decent Catwoman film to save their lives because they chickened out on the last one, and Green Lantern was not a hit (sadly, because I really like Ryan Reynolds. A LOT). I don't remember the whole story but they did have one in the works and it just didn't work out.

And of course, now, if they try, they're just copying Marvel. (Ha! Ha! says the girl with friends who work at Marvel. ;))

I thought the Avengers was fantastic. I loved it.

And according to IMDB there's at least 30 minutes or so of deleted scenes that will be on the DVD release, so I'm excited about that.
---

You have friends who work at Marvel? Yes, jealous. That means you get freebies from them AND Disney as well. Double jealous.

Green Lantern wasn't so hot, mainly because the storyline was so derivative, but then again, it had to be in order to establish Hal Jordan as the original GL, Alan Scott notwithstanding.:) I thought Ryan Reynold's gave a very good performance and I am not really a fan of his at all.

I heard about the WW idea, but really, no matter who helms it, it would come off as campy and the same deal with Catwoman. (That was one awful flick!).

As for Bale, well, he did a fine job in the first two Batman flicks and I'm sure he'll be great in DK3, but I guess he doesn't want to be typecast and he's getting on, comparitively speaking. Who wants a forty-plus Batman? They could always go with a younger actor and eventually they'll have to. I would go with a cast of unknowns (for the most part) and build the franchise from there. But first, they have to come up with a decent script. Avengers rocked in all departments and I'm sure the second installation will be just as good as the first and maybe even better.

K. Taylor
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
I've already read that they plan to do a Batman reboot in the next few years. After the Nolan trilogy, I think it'd be dumb to air it in any less than 5 years, or it's going to have SO much pressure in comparison.

Jcomp
05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
As for Bale, well, he did a fine job in the first two Batman flicks and I'm sure he'll be great in DK3, but I guess he doesn't want to be typecast and he's getting on, comparitively speaking. Who wants a forty-plus Batman? They could always go with a younger actor and eventually they'll have to.

They'll eventually end up re-booting Batman after Nolan's incarnation anyway. I don't think the age matters much. We have a forty-seven-year-old Iron Man and hardly anyone seems to mind. But if they intend to build toward a JLA movie down the road (which, given the success of The Avengers, seems likely), they'll probably try to introduce a less "grounded" incarnation of the character. They won't go Schumacher-cheesy again, but they could probably make the character more like the version seen recently in the Arkham Asylum games. Still relatively grim and "gritty," but he's also clearly fighting against super-powered beings and engaging in comic book plots. Marvel did a solid job of setting up a universe where all of the Avengers could co-exist. Nolan's Gotham doesn't fit in with a world where Superman, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter exist.

K. Taylor
05-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I miss Smallville's JLA.

akaria
05-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Whedon tried to do WW a while back and it went nowhere. I'm hoping now that he's proven he can bring in a bazillion dollars someone will give him a big bag of money and WW will happen. Get Gail Simone to write it and Gina Carano to star. If WW ever happened like this they'd hear me fangirling all the way in Themyscira.

Kaiser-Kun
05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I'd like to see a Nightwing movie. He's less angsty than Daredevil and less my-way-the-only-way than Batman. I may also like a Power Girl movie, with... umm... any actress and two bald midgets inside the suit.

Shadow_Ferret
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
I'd like to see a Nightwing movie. He's less angsty than Daredevil and less my-way-the-only-way than Batman.

I never got that from Daredevil. He always seemed like an adult, less angsty version of Spider-man.

Kaiser-Kun
05-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I never got that from Daredevil. He always seemed like an adult, less angsty version of Spider-man.

Well, Nightwing could be seen as a "my life is cool and I enjoy it" Spiderman.

Marumae
05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Saw it today! Absolutely loved it! The critics have been saying Ruffalo was the best Hulk yet, I completely agree. This was the first time I actually felt and GOT the like (and fear within the context of the story) for the Bruce Banner/Hulk character. Ruffalo did an amazing job I think making me like the dude while simultaneously being afraid of...well yanno pissing him off. There was this visible tension with him every time he got a little stressed that put me on edge. The Hulk was genuinely terrifying in this movie and the fact that the others treated him like a time bomb made it work. I always felt in the other movies they didn't seem to portray that correctly, "you're an unstoppable green machine when you get pissed off? oh that's nice, pass the salt Bruce."Oh, simply amazing. If they don't screw it up, I'd love another try at a Hulk movie. I NEED to see Ruffalo's Hulk again.

Yeah I heard Norton was notoriously hard to work with, not really sad he's gone. He was better then the Crowe, but Ruffalo made the character for me.

While I will certainly MISS his Johnny Storm (what?! SUE ME I LIKED THE FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIES OKAY), Chris Evans is an amazing actor and amazingly hot oh my god, I can't even stand it. UNF.. I like how Rogers naturally took the leader role among them all.

Don't know anything about Hawkeye or Black Widow but now I want to do research.

Downey Jr was amazing as usual, I can't wait for Iron Man 3.

Hiddleston is an amazing Loki and Hemsworth won me in his film, I like that we got an update on a character from his movie, there was a lot of consistency in this that surprised me. It's like the director *le gasp* actually researched the characters and established cannon movies before writing the screenplay!

I'm also thirding (seconding?) DC getting it's act together for a Justice League movie, damn it DC. You could be awesome but you just have CRAP luck for any other series besides, you know...BATMAN (and maybe Superman). I wish Bale would reprise his role and sorta carry the JL movie but I understand him wanting to get out. I get the impression for Nolan there isn't this build to lead to a JL movie or other movies, it's a self contained trilogy. Ah well, that's another discussion for another thread.

MichelleJean
05-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Saw it last night and was so bored. I was disappointed that I didn't enjoy it since I love superhero movies (and Samuel L. Jackson!) but this one, not so much.

Amber Nae
05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Went and saw it this Sunday. I absolutely loved it! People want to see movies that pull them in and away from every day life. Lots of laughs, Robert Downey Jr. was amazing as always. Him and Ruffalo worked well together, and the Hulk was great also. I didn't care too much for the character of Black Widow, I just felt that she was really kind of useless. I guess they really wanted to increase ratings with a female super hero though.

Smiley0501
05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree - I thought Black Widow's character should have been given something...more.

Zoombie
05-16-2012, 09:42 PM
What comic book adventure isn't?

...Watchmen?

robeiae
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Well, they said it didn't set the record. Avatar still holds that one :(
Yes, but (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/05/dark-shadows-avengers-box-office.html):

After its $207.4-million debut broke the record for the biggest opening ever — not adjusting for inflation — "The Avengers" had another phenomenal weekend in theaters. In its second weekend of domestic release, the film featuring Marvel comic book characters such as the Hulk, Iron Man and Thor raked in an additional $103.2 million, according to an estimate from distributor Walt Disney Pictures. That means the movie made more on its second weekend than any other film in history, a record previously held by the three-day $75.6 million made by "Avatar." Dominoes are falling.

Manuel Royal
05-16-2012, 11:31 PM
I miss Smallville's JLA.My favorite part of that series. We got to see, or at least have references to, Sandman, Doctor Fate, Starman, Wildcat, the first Green Lantern, and several others -- and see Hawkman in grouchy, mace-wielding action.

I've sometimes imagined a movie set in WW2, with some of the lesser-known Golden Age heroes -- Johnny Quick, Doctor Mid-Nite, Johnny Thunder, Robotman, the Americommando, Mister Terrific, Hourman, etc. Probably a stupid idea; limited appeal.

robeiae
05-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Well, they made The Spirit, didn't they? ;)

Manuel Royal
05-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Frank Miller were as good as he thinks he is?

The new movie Battleship had a $200 million budget. One fifth of a billion dollars. But (judging from early reviews) a dumbass script. It'll probably have a big opening weekend but then drop off quickly.

A movie like The Avengers has a lot more staying power. Maybe that'll indicate to some of the producers that those script things are actually an important part of the package.

hadou
05-17-2012, 12:19 AM
The Avengers was a good movie; the script was very well done, making something out of nothing. I am interested in how they will tie Ironman 3 and Thor 2 with The Avengers 2.

SirOtter
05-17-2012, 04:16 AM

So much potential, wasted because Miller couldn't resist throwing every fricking thing in the Spirit canon at the screen. Jeez, Frank, save something for the sequel, and there might actually be one! As it is, I gotta say I prefer the cheesy TV version.

dclary
05-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Wouldn't it be great if Frank Miller were as good as he thinks he is?

The new movie Battleship had a $200 million budget. One fifth of a billion dollars. But (judging from early reviews) a dumbass script. It'll probably have a big opening weekend but then drop off quickly.

A movie like The Avengers has a lot more staying power. Maybe that'll indicate to some of the producers that those script things are actually an important part of the package.

Battleship won't have a big opening weekend. It will be a dead dog from minute one. It looks awful. Every trailer they've released has made it look worse than the one before. Liam Neeson seems to have chosen this role specifically to make The Phantom Menace no longer seem like his worst career decision ever.

My prediction: Battleship is the biggest money loser of the year.

J.S.F.
05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Saw Battleship and felt like carving my eyes out with a rusty spoon after. (My eight year-old son forced me to take him and even he thought it sucked). Save your money for something worthwhile, like an appendectomy or a root canal with no anesthesia....

Smiley0501
05-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Is it sad that the geek in me is mad about Battleship being made into a movie? It is a game about battleships for goodness.... Why go and make it into a stupid movie? :rant: Grrr!

Another note, I want to see Avengers again :D

nighttimer
05-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I didn't care too much for the character of Black Widow, I just felt that she was really kind of useless. I guess they really wanted to increase ratings with a female super hero though.

I agree - I thought Black Widow's character should have been given something...more.

She was given more. More screen time (http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/5/10/how-much-screen-time-did-each-of-the-avengers-get.html) than Thor, Bruce Banner or Hawkeye and slightly less than Cap or Iron Man.

No, the Black Widow can't fly, doesn't wear a suit of high-tech armor, doesn't sport a mystical hammer, unbreakable shield, or get big mean and green, but that doesn't mean she has no game.
(http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/05/scarlett-johanssons-human-moment-in-the-avengers/256822/)

When we first meet her, Romanoff is tied to a chair, clad in a black cocktail dress, being violently interrogated by a trio of gangsters. Confident that they are in complete control of the situation, the leader of the three foolishly reveals his master plan before the Black Widow reveals her true skill, subduing all three men in an impressive display of acrobatic ass-kicking. Her perceived vulnerability is a weapon that Whedon has her use multiple times throughout the movie.

But her strategy is always predicated on her having the upper hand. The gangsters are human, easily willed by her charms. But during an attack on the heli-carrier in the second act, Romanoff becomes trapped in the lower engine decks with Bruce Banner, who loses control and becomes his unstoppable raging alter-ego, the Hulk. Her attempts to reason with him fail, and soon she is running for her life through the bowels of the ship, chased by the unthinking green mass of rage. The Hulk swats her against the wall like a mere insect before the Norse God of Thunder, Thor, intervenes. When next we see her, the Black Widow is cowering in the corner. The look on her face is that of a woman utterly broken. It takes a few moments before she finally responds to her radio summons.

The scene touches effectively on two themes. The first is the trauma suffered by the Black Widow, a woman so accustomed to being in control who suddenly finds herself dominated by an unstoppable male force (one from which she had to be rescued by another man). Finding a way to assert yourself against someone more physically powerful is a challenge that persists in women's struggle for equality, fictional or otherwise. That challenge, of course, is more easily addressed when you have super powers and can reduce your opponent to ashes, but the Black Widow's helpless encounter with the Hulk more closely reflects that problem as it exists in the real world.
As much as Mark Ruffalo has made the possibility of a new Hulk flick viable, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, possibly paired with Hawkeye, may also be deserving of her own movie as well.

mario_c
05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
I hope Battleship dies at the box office. I hope it dies so bad the execs who greenlit it lose their jobs. Now that would be entertaining.
:D Sorry, anyway...
Enjoyed the movie very much. I knew it would be fluff with some fun characters, with lots of shit getting blown up in exponentially more outlandish ways all led by really attractive people in silly costumes. And on that level, it was a complete success. As a New Yorker, it was a thrill to see my beloved GCT, the Tim Horton's and pushcart and Starbucks around it, and my old temp agency all get blown to shit by Loki's minions. And they go for shwarmas after! . :ROFL: Speaking of sexy people, I don't see much love for Scarlett or Jeremy's "mortal" shortstop action. (Nighttimer did make good points just as I was editing too, great stuff, sir.) My take: each becomes personally vested in the Avengers' mission in their own way, and outgunned as they may be, they are on the team, throwing punches for every bloody nasty round. And I love Black Widow's intro scene, perv that I am. :D Also, Robert Downey Jr. basically got to do comedy relief to offset Thor and Captain America's very straight arrow routine, but his romance with Pepper is heating up nicely. And Samuel L. Jackson - enough said. His awesome could light up NYC.
My opinion, what do I know?

Parametric
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Gah. That review of the Black Widow bugs me. She was not "utterly broken" in that scene. She had a shell-shocked moment after getting her ass handed to her by the Hulk. Then she pulled herself together, answered her radio, and went out to fight.

hadou
05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
The Black Widow's abilities: a gun savvy and big tits.

Anna L.
05-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Gah. That review of the Black Widow bugs me. She was not "utterly broken" in that scene. She had a shell-shocked moment after getting her ass handed to her by the Hulk. Then she pulled herself together, answered her radio, and went out to fight.

Agreed.

Black Widow is mostly a normal person. She can't be expected to stand up to the friggin' Hulk much better than any other normal person. The dude in the war plane got his ass handed to him too. Target angry!

K. Taylor
05-17-2012, 05:42 PM
The Black Widow's abilities: a gun savvy and big tits.

Wrong. Look up her comic history.

hadou
05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Wrong. Look up her comic history.

<.< Some people can't take a joke.

Smiley0501
05-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Her comic book history is badass, don't get me wrong, but I felt SJ could have played her with more emotion. The scene where she is talking to Loki in the glass chamber fell flat for me...

Sheryl Nantus
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Agreed.

Black Widow is mostly a normal person. She can't be expected to stand up to the friggin' Hulk much better than any other normal person. The dude in the war plane got his ass handed to him too. Target angry!

I think *anyone* would be a little shell-shocked when they almost get pulped by the Hulk. As stated, there's no training for that...

She rocks. I only wish I could rock da body suit - I'd be cosplaying her at every con...

:D

K. Taylor
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM

It's the internet, so use smilies to indicate you're joking, or tone of voice doesn't come through.

Manuel Royal
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
It's the internet, so use smilies to indicate you're joking, or tone of voice doesn't come through.I would never advocate the use of smilies. Our trade is words. Just say you're joking, say I. (If we knew hadou better, we might have already known he was joking; but he's still pretty new to us.)

I would have only added one line.Okay, since so many of you have asked (silently, in my head): There's a scene where Steve Rogers dresses down Tony Stark, and says he "pretends to be a hero", but wouldn't be willing to make a real sacrifice for others. Later, of course, Stark does exactly that, in a situation where he doesn't expect to survive. I half-expected Rogers to tell him, "I was wrong; you pretend not to be a hero."

Too obvious a line, really. Less is more.

Cyia
05-17-2012, 08:03 PM
If we're listing the things we expected, but didn't see, then the Thor-power-up of Stark's suit should have been featured in the final fight. Why establish than a jolt from Thor's hammer will increase the suit's output to 400% if you're not going to use it again? (A cut scene perhaps?)

Zoombie
05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I heard that there were 2 hours of deleted scenes. I don't know if that's true or just an amusing exaggeration...but it wouldn't surprise me.

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm so glad this movie is doing so well because it means it might still be in the theaters in a couple more weeks when with any luck we'll be able to afford to see it.

dclary
05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Some people can't tell them.

Cyia
05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh noes! Loki has deaged the Avengers and is carting them off one at a time! (Picture too cute. Couldn't resist.)

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/JosinLMcQuein/Loki.jpg

Manuel Royal
05-18-2012, 12:08 AM
I heard that there were 2 hours of deleted scenes. I don't know if that's true or just an amusing exaggeration...but it wouldn't surprise me.As soon as the movie was over (and we'd laughed at the shawarma scene), I said to my girlfriend, "Okay, I'm getting the Blu-Ray." She was nice enough not to say, "Better get a job first."

hadou
05-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Some people can't tell them.

"Don't hate, appreciate"

Jamiekswriter
05-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Oh noes! Loki has deaged the Avengers and is carting them off one at a time! (Picture too cute. Couldn't resist.)

My son made me buy him that shield. (It's really a frisbee with a hand guard) He plays with it constantly. We're trying to teach him to say "Avengers Assemble!" But he keeps saying "Avengers Scramble!!" Then I have to pretend to shoot at him while he deflects my shots *pew* *pew*! :D

defcon6000
05-18-2012, 03:08 AM

That Loki's plan for the next film: turn all the Avengers into kids!

btw, where is that pic from?

Cyia
05-18-2012, 03:11 AM
I snagged it from Stephanie Perkins' blog, but Google images puts it with a group of images apparently taken the day the cast filmed the final scene of the movie in NYC. "Loki" posed with several fans who were watching them film.

dclary
05-18-2012, 03:26 AM
"Don't hate, appreciate"

Source?

Smiley0501
05-18-2012, 03:27 AM
:ROFL: about that picture...

Mr Flibble
05-18-2012, 04:06 AM
"Don't hate, appreciate"

I appreciate funny jokes

Arsewittery..not so much?

hadou
05-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Source?

From the movie Friday After Next.

AW Admin
05-18-2012, 04:11 AM

That's because it wasn't funny; it was offensive and sexist.

Please go read The Newbie Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), and don't engage in this kind of behavior again.

It makes you look like a sexist poltroon, and well, I'm sure you don't want that.

Manuel Royal
05-18-2012, 04:16 AM
That's because it wasn't funny; it was offensive and sexist.

Please go read The Newbie Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), and don't engage in this kind of behavior again.

It makes you look like a sexist poltroon, and well, I'm sure you don't want that.What's worse -- there are idiots all over the webs saying exactly what hadou said, without a trace of irony. So, simply repeating the same thing, with nothing to indicate that it's not meant seriously, does not constitute a joke. Sometimes it's necessary to provide a little context for one's bon mot.

hadou
05-18-2012, 04:40 AM
A lot of sensitive people in here. It was meant as a joke; I guess it was too crude. I am sorry if I offended anyone, although if anyone is offended is because they look like Scarlett Johansson; if that's the case, give me a call :)

nighttimer
05-18-2012, 08:09 AM
hadou put it rather gracelessly, but not wholly incorrectly.

If anyone believes Scarlett Johansson was given the role of Black Widow based upon her immense acting abilities as opposed to how hot she looks in a completely impractical outfit that is so tight if she had a coin in her pocket you could tell if it was heads or tails, you're kidding yourself.

There's plenty of beefcake in The Avengers. Let's not pretend the Black Widow's primary power isn't eye candy. :rolleyes:

Stacia Kane
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
hadou put it rather gracelessly, but not wholly incorrectly.

If anyone believes Scarlett Johansson was given the role of Black Widow based upon her immense acting abilities as opposed to how hot she looks in a completely impractical outfit that is so tight if she had a coin in her pocket you could tell if it was heads or tails, you're kidding yourself.

There's plenty of beefcake in The Avengers. Let's not pretend the Black Widow's primary power isn't eye candy. :rolleyes:

Again, read the comics before you claim Hadou's comment was accurate.

Yes, pretty much all women in comics are eye candy (look at Power Girl!), just like pretty much all the men are, too. Superheroes tend to be portrayed as very well-built, attractive people. That doesn't mean they're not also more than that.

Batman's not superhuman, either, but I don't see anyone claiming his "primary power is eye candy" because he's in a tight costume and doesn't have magical abilities. Why is Batman's hotness incidental, but the Black Widow's is her reason for existence? Why must a strong female character and integral part of the team in the film be reduced to "eye candy" and dismissed, instead of given the same respect the male characters are?

It's especially sexist and irritating when you consider the male characters in the film who dismissed her as such got owned by her. There's a message there.

Calla Lily
05-18-2012, 04:00 PM
+1, Stacia. The look on that general's face--and especially Loki's face--when they realize that Black Widow played them? Awesome.

hadou
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Yes, pretty much all women in comics are eye candy (look at Power Girl!), just like pretty much all the men are, too. Superheroes tend to be portrayed as very well-built, attractive people. That doesn't mean they're not also more than that.

Batman's not superhuman, either, but I don't see anyone claiming his "primary power is eye candy" because he's in a tight costume and doesn't have magical abilities. Why is Batman's hotness incidental, but the Black Widow's is her reason for existence? Why must a strong female character and integral part of the team in the film be reduced to "eye candy" and dismissed, instead of given the same respect the male characters are?

It's especially sexist and irritating when you consider the male characters in the film who dismissed her as such got owned by her. There's a message there.

I could not help but laugh at this. If I had said the actor playing Thor was chosen for the part because of his good looks and muscly arms, then I could have made the remark about the Black Widow? I will tell you something really important; what do you think makes the characters in the Avengers? IT'S THEIR ABILITIES. Thor's godly strength, Iron Man's suit, Captain America's enhanced strength, The Hulk's huskiness. Compared to this, the Black Widow seems like a good psychiatrist; to me Black Widow's ability is how hot she is and her perfect tits. Sexist? Not really, just the truth. DO NOT use the word sexist when looking at a remark of women that you do not like; that's just...simple.

Parametric
05-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I could not help but laugh at this. If I had said the actor playing Thor was chosen for the part because of his good looks and muscly arms, then I could have made the remark about the Black Widow? I will tell you something really important; what do you think makes the characters in the Avengers? IT'S THEIR ABILITIES. Thor's godly strength, Iron Man's suit, Captain America's enhanced strength, The Hulk's huskiness. To me Black Widow's ability is how hot she is and her perfect tits. Sexist? Not really, just the truth. DO NOT use the word sexist when looking at a remark of women that you do not like.

But you're still just joking, right? And anyone who can't take a joke should stop being so sensitive? :rolleyes:

hadou
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
But you're still just joking, right? And anyone who can't take a joke should stop being so sensitive? :rolleyes:

Me, sensitive? That's not a combination I often hear. Like I said, I laughed at the remark; it was so silly :)

Williebee
05-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Hadou, by definition, what you posted is sexist.
Thor - strength
Ironman - technology
Captain America &
Hulk - strength through chemistry
Black Widow - looks.

Yeah, that would be sexist.

hadou
05-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Hadou, by definition, what you posted is sexist.
Thor - strength
Ironman - technology
Captain America &
Hulk - strength through chemistry
Black Widow - looks.

Yeah, that would be sexist.

Dude, Scarlett Johansson's presence in that movie was the definition of sexist; did you notice the constant cleavage in her tight suit, because I sure did :)

Williebee
05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
MOD Note: Before this becomes a pile-on, we're going to give Hadou some time to read the Newbie Guide and reconsider.

robeiae
05-18-2012, 07:30 PM
It seems to me that in comic book land, everyone is a sex object. Given the target audience, that's not surprising.

So when comics are translated to film, there tend to be a lot of good looking, sexy people on the screen.

FWIW, the Black Widow was one of my favs when I was kid. Much preferred over other equally hot female superheros. It was her attitude, I think, that made her.

Cyia
05-18-2012, 07:55 PM
So when comics areanything is translated to film, there tend to be a lot of good looking, sexy people on the screen.

Fixed it for 'ya ;)

SJ said herself that fitting into the costume was difficult at best, requiring a strict diet - which she broke the second filming stopped. Take a look at that final scene, shot after the movie had debuted overseas, and see the difference in her physique in the shawarma scene. She didn't even face the camera because the suit was tight to look right. (sort of like Chris Evans hiding his beard with his hand because Cap' doesn't sport one.)

thebloodfiend
05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Black Widow's costume looks exactly like Catwoman's new costume in DCU 52. I've never read anything with BW, but I'm going to assume that she's supposed to be kickass, like Catwoman and Poison Ivy before the last edition of Gotham City Sirens reduced them to sexist cliches, obsessed with men and powerless to orchestrate master plans of their own.

I just wish every single female character didn't have to be sex symbol if they're going to be kickass. A regular looking woman, ya know, cause regular looking (kind of fugly) guys like Toby Maguire get to be superheroes without getting all sexed up. There's nothing wrong with selling sex, but I've yet to see a female in a superhero movie who isn't supposed to be a superhot ten out of ten. Like Jessica Alba, and Halle Berry (as both Storm and Catwoman), and Megan Fox (the fanpick for Wonder Woman). And I'd stop complaining if guys got the same treatment, a la this (http://fernacular.tumblr.com/post/17814450235/welcome-to-if-male-superhero-costumes-were). Just one regular looking kickass girl in a lead roll would be nice. I mean, I like looking at hot people on the big screen, but I like variety with equal (or non-existent) objectification, too.

nighttimer
05-18-2012, 08:37 PM

When I began reading comics, I always preferred Marvel to DC and I am quite familiar with Natasha Romanoff, a.k.a. "The Black Widow." She began as a Soviet spy whose mission was to steal technology from Tony Stark. It was only later that she became a hero as a member of the Avengers and later as Daredevil's crime-fighting partner and paramour.

So yeah, I have read the comics. I have a basement full of them. When I began they were 12 cents. Now they cost four bucks.

And sex appeal was always part of the Widow's persona.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z402/FtLoue/Cosplays/black-widow-classic-marvel.jpg

As robeiae correctly points out: Pretty people get cast as superheroes. If you also notice, even if they are wearing masks, they tend to lose them quite a bit exposing the actor's face.

Natasha has always been a femme fatale who isn't designed for knock down, drag out fights against Thanos or Ultron. Which is one reason she was chosen by Steve Rogers to be part of his Secret Avengers team.

Sexism has been a part of the comics as long as there have been women in comics. All you have to do is look at how often Wonder Woman is depicted bound and chained. (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=34&Itemid=51&limitstart=3) As long as comics are made by males they will always cater to the fantasies of males.

That includes why the Black Widow is running around in skin tight black leather that hug her curves. Pointing out what is obvious might be sexist, but it's also reality.

Toothpaste
05-18-2012, 10:52 PM
The problem isnt that she like the male superheroes looks good in her skin tight costume, it's that all her worth, according to some, is wrapped up in her looks. From what I saw in this movie I saw a skilled fighter, spy, strategist and interrogator (both with banner and Loki). Hawkeye doesn't have special powers either, was in skin tight leather that showed off his biceps, but I don't see anyone saying his sole purpose as part of the team was eye candy.

Diana Hignutt
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
The problem isnt that she like the male superheroes looks good in her skin tight costume, it's that all her worth, according to some, is wrapped up in her looks. From what I saw in this movie I saw a skilled fighter, spy, strategist and interrogator (both with banner and Loki). Hawkeye doesn't have special powers either, was in skin tight leather that showed off his biceps, but I don't see anyone saying his sole purpose as part of the team was eye candy.

Exactly.

nighttimer
05-19-2012, 12:40 AM

Beefcake is not objectified the same way as cheesecake. Does anyone really need me to explain how this works?

The Black Widow was a skilled fighter, spy, strategist and interrogator, but just as she was in Iron Man 2, once again in The Avengers she was the hot babe in the totally impractical costume (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/04/scarlett-johansson-shredded-her-avengers-costume-chris-hemsworth-wore-a-little-air-conditioning-unit-for-thor/).

Johansson said her Black Widow costume was like a “wetsuit” and the heat became so bad, she hallucinated while filming a fight scene on a makeshift roof.

“It was so hot, I would wring out my socks at the end of the day,” she said.

The demands of her stunts, she said, “shredded” her costumes, which had to be replaced every few days.

“They’re like tires,” she said. “You would just go through sets of them. Every time you get a new costume, you just feel real nice and then three days later, it’s like the discount Widow.”
The Avengers successfully took a comic book universe and put it up on a screen more impressively than any movie before it. But even a $200+ million budget can't overcome the utter ridiculousness of the typical super hero get-up.

Respectfully, I don't see where you have disproved that point.

Toothpaste
05-19-2012, 12:55 AM
My point was there was more to her than hot babe. I don't see how pointing out how uncomfortable her costume was has anything to do with that. Was Chris evans costume super comfy and not made to show him off? Ditto Thor's?

I'm not saying she's not hot. I'm saying her character had other things going on in the film than just her tits.

Oh and yes, comics are still sexist. I'm not saying that her character is not also there for eye candy. And just because they always have been doesn't mean they always have to be that way. And I am tired how slowly comics are pulling themselves out of the dark ages (sometimes taking steps backwards). I do take issue with the solitary female character in the group in general, and that all superheroes in general need to be beyond perfect. But none of that is my point.

My point was to contraduct dude's offensive comment. There was so much more to her character than just her costume, but because he chose not to notice those other things it somehow means those other things don't exist or don't matter? Uh, no.

thebloodfiend
05-19-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't disagree that his comment was offensive, but he's sadly representative of a major population of male comic book readers (and writers). What I find really depressing is that when I google Hawkeye vs Black Widow, I get pin-up style images for one, and heroic poses for the other.

It's even worse for Emma Frost, who's an amazingly complex character depending on the writer, but to a lot of people, she's just boobs and sex. The only way I see that mindset is ending is to show more variety in female body types in major titles, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

dclary
05-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Personally, I think you missed it, WB. Black Widow brought something specific to the table the other Avengers did not:

Psychology.

Her strength was clearly in her understanding of the male psyche and how to manipulate it to reveal information (Russians, Loki) or influence decisions (Banner).

dclary
05-19-2012, 01:01 AM
I don't disagree that his comment was offensive, but he's sadly representative of a major population of male comic book readers (and writers). What I find really depressing is that when I google Hawkeye vs Black Widow, I get pin-up style images for one, and heroic poses for the other.

It's even worse for Emma Frost, who's an amazingly complex character depending on the writer, but to a lot of people, she's just boobs and sex. The only way I see that mindset is ending is to show more variety in female body types in major titles, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I have to disagree here. It matters not where they put Frost (Hellfire Club, X-Men, wherever) -- for as long as her outfit of choice is a white corset with pushup wireframe cups, she'll be a simple sex-object to me. The best super heroines and super villains were sexy without being ridiculously dressed for sex.

thebloodfiend
05-19-2012, 01:21 AM
I have to disagree here. It matters not where they put Frost (Hellfire Club, X-Men, wherever) -- for as long as her outfit of choice is a white corset with pushup wireframe cups, she'll be a simple sex-object to me. The best super heroines and super villains were sexy without being ridiculously dressed for sex.

Disagree with what, exactly? That the mindset could change? It could, if writers were more consistent and didn't treat her like walking, talking boobs.

I feel like Frost gets the current Starfire DCU treatment. Impractical clothing for the pleasure of the (male) audience without any real explanation as to why she dresses like that. Once upon a time, Starfire's swim suit made sense for her character. She was "complex" and had an actual personality. Now, they've turned her into a talking sexbot who's there for the other Outsiders to fuck. Starfire used to be more than just sex, and her costume was more revealing than Frost's. Now, she's nothing but that. And audiences were quite vocal with the change.

Granted, Frost's purpose as a character really was just temptation, but she could be so much more than that. She was more interesting than Jean, anyway.

The three top female super villains off the top of my head are -- Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman or Emma Frost, depending on the writer. They're all dressed for sex. Some, in their current incarnations, are more complex than others, but none, other than Poison Ivy, have no practical reason to dress like they're about to star in Backdoor Sluts 9. And Poison Ivy's powers kind of revolve around sex, anyway. Not a problem for me, but I've never seen a guy character (except for that one dude who Wonder Woman fought a long time ago) who's power was seduction and used sex and psychology as his weapon against women.

The three top super heroines right now? Wonder Woman, maybe Black Canary, and I'll give the third spot to Black Widow. If we ignore WW's costume change, artists like Jim Lee and the late Mike Turner left very little to the imagination.

Toothpaste
05-19-2012, 01:47 AM

I agree with your latter point totally, and agree with your above point about BW and her abilities to understand psychology. But I have a sincere question about your former point here:

Why? Why can't you see past the sexy getup and also see the character behind it? I don't mean ignore the sexy getup and the hotness and sex appeal, I mean once you've seen all that, why is it not possible to then see her also as a complex character? A complex character who uses her sexuality to get what she wants?

I ask because I don't think women in general have the same problem. For example, there's that scene in THOR when Thor is shirtless. It is so striking for many members of the opposite sex (and I suppose certain members of the same sex as well), that we tend to have a very visceral response in seeing this. Even my mother when we watched it on DVD released a spontaneous, "Oh my." :) . It is a very very sexy moment, to the point where it almost feels a little wrong to be watching him standing there topless, pure aesthetic yummy-ness. Yet we also appreciate he is more than just this hot body, we find him funny and arrogant, watch his character arc, care when he is upset etc etc and so forth.

Why is it impossible for you to see a female character as sexy yes, but also an interesting character? No matter how she's dressed?

(again, despite how in reading this over I can see it sounds a bit accusatory, it really isn't, this actually is a sincere question - also I really do want more female superheroes/villains to be not all sexed up, but I also think that a woman can be meant to be a sex pot and also have complexity - it isn't either or, women who enjoy being seen as sexy can also enjoy being considered smart, funny etc, it's just that it often seems that if a woman is sexy, she can't possibly be anything else. . .)

Max Vaehling
05-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Just came across this post today (http://t.co/zas2K83x)about how female characters are sitill reduced to the womanness no matter what their contribution to the movies, and now this discussion.

As for Emma Frost, that's another one Joss got right, in his Astonishing X-Men comic. When Emma calls Kitty out for being late, and Kitty replies "I'm sorry. I was busy remembering to put on all my clothes." That and a remark by Emma herself about "the best body money could buy" is about it, as the eye candy references go. The rest is all mental powers. And they totally manage to sell the character as a character.

Toothpaste
05-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Some good points. But the first part of the commentary stems from a premise that SJ isn't a good actress and that's why people only focus on her body. I disagree. I think she is a rather decent actress and further wonder if part of the problem with her looks in this film is that she has a womanly figure. Would her character have been more palatable if one of the typical Hollywood twiglets had played her? Fewer evil distracting curves?

The rest of the post about people glossing over her role because she's a woman is pretty spot on. Vehemently disagree about Ruffalo thing though, I thought he was fantastic.

Stacia Kane
05-19-2012, 03:01 AM
When I began reading comics, I always preferred Marvel to DC and I am quite familiar with Natasha Romanoff, a.k.a. "The Black Widow." She began as a Soviet spy whose mission was to steal technology from Tony Stark. It was only later that she became a hero as a member of the Avengers and later as Daredevil's crime-fighting partner and paramour.

So yeah, I have read the comics.

So have I. But thanks for the completely unnecessary history lesson.

And sex appeal was always part of the Widow's persona.

Where did I say it wasn't? I didn't. What I said was that it's not all she is; her only skill is not "big tits," which was the comment you said was accurate.

As robeiae correctly points out: Pretty people get cast as superheroes.

And as I correctly pointed out first: superheroes tend to be drawn as pretty people. So what? How does that change the fact that pretty male superheroes are still superheroes, but it's okay to say that pretty female superheroes are just "big tits" and nothing more?

Sexism has been a part of the comics as long as there have been women in comics.

Oh, really? :rolleyes: Well, ha ha! That makes it okay then! We shouldn't complain or try to fight it or be offended by it, because it's always been that way! Oh, I am so relieved!

As long as comics are made by males they will always cater to the fantasies of males.

Again:

1. Thank you, Lord No-shit-really.

2. Doesn't mean it's not offensive.

3. Doesn't make it okay.

4. Doesn't mean we shouldn't speak up and try to change it.

That includes why the Black Widow is running around in skin tight black leather that hug her curves. Pointing out what is obvious might be sexist, but it's also reality.

So it's okay to join in, because it's "reality." So how about if I say African-American people just aren't as smart as whites? Because, y'know, some people do feel that way, so it's "reality" and something we should all just accept and not try to change.

No one is saying the Black Widow isn't be sexy or shouldn't be seen as sexy. No one is saying it's wrong or offensive to say she is sexy. What is wrong, and is offensive, is to say that "sexy" is all she is.

It's nice that you have such privilege that you can just shrug off the sexism and act like it's no big deal, and like the fact that you shrug it off doesn't make you part of the problem. But you know what? It IS. And it DOES. And you should frankly be ashamed of yourself for telling people affected by it that we should just shut up and get used to it, because that's the way it is.

Stacia Kane
05-19-2012, 03:07 AM
BTW, Scarlett Johansson has won a couple of BAFTAs and Golden Globes, been nominated for more Golden Globes, and has won a Tony. I think it's fair to say she's not a terrible actress overall.

dclary
05-19-2012, 03:21 AM
I agree with your latter point totally, and agree with your above point about BW and her abilities to understand psychology. But I have a sincere question about your former point here:

Why? Why can't you see past the sexy getup and also see the character behind it? I don't mean ignore the sexy getup and the hotness and sex appeal, I mean once you've seen all that, why is it not possible to then see her also as a complex character? A complex character who uses her sexuality to get what she wants?

I ask because I don't think women in general have the same problem. For example, there's that scene in THOR when Thor is shirtless. It is so striking for many members of the opposite sex (and I suppose certain members of the same sex as well), that we tend to have a very visceral response in seeing this. Even my mother when we watched it on DVD released a spontaneous, "Oh my." :) . It is a very very sexy moment, to the point where it almost feels a little wrong to be watching him standing there topless, pure aesthetic yummy-ness. Yet we also appreciate he is more than just this hot body, we find him funny and arrogant, watch his character arc, care when he is upset etc etc and so forth.

Why is it impossible for you to see a female character as sexy yes, but also an interesting character? No matter how she's dressed?

(again, despite how in reading this over I can see it sounds a bit accusatory, it really isn't, this actually is a sincere question - also I really do want more female superheroes/villains to be not all sexed up, but I also think that a woman can be meant to be a sex pot and also have complexity - it isn't either or, women who enjoy being seen as sexy can also enjoy being considered smart, funny etc, it's just that it often seems that if a woman is sexy, she can't possibly be anything else. . .)

Without getting too gross here... I think it has a lot to do with the fact that her powers were, to a large extent, the same as Professor X's. When I looked at the comics as a teenage boy, I had two powerful telepaths, one of them dressed the way I fantasized every porn star dressed. They both may have been complex characters, but that didn't matter one iota to me. When I couldn't get a hold of the Sears catalog, it was either dark phoenix or emma frost who were manipulating my mutant powers of progeny-spewing.

J.S.F.
05-19-2012, 03:29 AM
My my my, more sexism charges. Well, par for the course, I imagine. Some points to consider:

1. Sex sells. I don't care if it's a good-looking dude appealing to the female audience (or male, depending on your sexual orientation) or a hottie with teh boobage appealing to the horny dudes in the audience (or the dudettes, depending on your sexual orientation), it sells. You do NOT go to see people who are not physically and facially attractive for this kind of role. I am not talking about a typical drama or comedy but a superhero role. The history has always been to have an attractive male and an attractive female. Call it eye-candy or sex appeal, call it what you will, it is what it is.

2. SJ is an excellent actress who's won awards and has been believable in her past roles. Sure, I look at her body and face as much as the next guy, but she's got talent, undeniably so, and deserves to be commended for it.

3. Wonder Woman did most of the binding. Just sayin'. I'm well aware of her history and the psychology behind it (and behind her creator and he was some piece of work) but seeing her bound is rather rare.

4. In this movie, Scarlet's role is as much an observer as it is a kick-ass action hero. Black Widow can kick butt with the best of them but against the Hulk not many can compete. If he can lay out an entire army, one l'il ol' Black Widow ain't gonna do much damage.

5. Women have always been used as sex objects in the comics. Second bananas, femme fatales, whatever, they were rarely accorded equal status alongside their male counterparts. Why? Partially because of society viewing women that way, and partially because their creators (with the exception of William Moulton Marston) were men. Had Gail Simone been born in the 1920's instead of when she was, the comics may have looked different but that's just speculation.

6. I much preferred Black Canary or Huntress. Both are intelligent, hot, do their jobs as well as the guys, and yes, I'm a geek. I admit it. Come at me, comic-bros.:D

Cyia
05-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Don't hate the black leather - Hawkeye got off easy with it. If they'd stuck to canon, it would have been a very odd look for him. Very odd and very purple.

Mr Flibble
05-19-2012, 05:22 AM
My point was there was more to her than hot babe.

This, this this. She was NOT, emphatically, just big tits and a gun. So very much more to her, and to reduce her to that is very..troubling.

My my my, more sexism charges.

Gosh, I wonder why?

1. Sex sells. I don't care if it's a good-looking dude appealing to the female audience (or male, depending on your sexual orientation) or a hottie with teh boobage appealing to the horny dudes in the audience (or the dudettes, depending on your sexual orientation), it sells.the point is though we joke about it, the male characters are characters in their own right, not just there to be looked at. They have agency, they do shit. They are characters, not sex on legs. It is not their only purpose in the film, as is so often with female characters. (and this is why I think BW works - she is there for more than to just look good. She works within the plot, she aids the plot, she uses what she has - and uses male perception of her - to advance the plot)

ANY character that is here JUST to be looked at is not a character, they are just an object. Thor, while I may drool over him, had a place in the plot, he had agency, he did stuff, he was a character in his own right. Same with (unusually) BW - and that's why reducing her to just a pair of tits is very....I will be generous here and say problematic.

Attractive people are used in films yes. But when a character is ONLY about being attractive..because what else can women do?/good for ...well there's your problem. If men were reduced to just plot tokens (if I save the world, I get a girl as a prize!) I'm sure they'd feel the same. As it is, they get to be all dynamic and stuff AND we drool over them. They are not there JUST to drool over. There is your difference. And there is where BW draws away from your usual.

PS: my Hubby liked BW a lot. As he said 'She's got a great arse - and a fucking fabulous attitude. The attitude is sexier than the arse.'

jjdebenedictis
05-19-2012, 05:35 AM
I miss the good old days when this thread was about how much we liked the movie.

J.S.F.
05-19-2012, 05:53 AM
This, this this. She was NOT, emphatically, just big tits and a gun. So very much more to her, and to reduce her to that is very..troubling.

Gosh, I wonder why?
the point is though we joke about it, the male characters are characters in their own right, not just there to be looked at. They have agency, they do shit. They are characters, not sex on legs. It is not their only purpose in the film, as is so often with female characters. (and this is why I think BW works - she is there for more than to just look good. She works within the plot, she aids the plot, she uses what she has - and uses male perception of her - to advance the plot)

ANY character that is here JUST to be looked at is not a character, they are just an object. Thor, while I may drool over him, had a place in the plot, he had agency, he did stuff, he was a character in his own right. Same with (unusually) BW - and that's why reducing her to just a pair of tits is very....I will be generous here and say problematic.

Attractive people are used in films yes. But when a character is ONLY about being attractive..because what else can women do?/good for ...well there's your problem. If men were reduced to just plot tokens (if I save the world, I get a girl as a prize!) I'm sure they'd feel the same. As it is, they get to be all dynamic and stuff AND we drool over them. They are not there JUST to drool over. There is your difference. And there is where BW draws away from your usual.

PS: my Hubby liked BW a lot. As he said 'She's got a great arse - and a fucking fabulous attitude. The attitude is sexier than the arse.'
---

By and large I agree with this and I'd agree with your husband. I loved the BW 'tude and when I write a female character, I do my best to make her a real person as opposed to being just a sex object. (This is coming from a guy who writes superhero novels and whatnot. To write them in just as potential bedmates does all women a disservice).

However, when you talk about an 'agency' (did you mean an 'agenda' or did I misread?) then think about the Birds of Prey comic book line and that really bad TV series. Sure, they dressed sexy but they also had their own agenda, kicked butt, and I don't think they ever complained about broken nails or split ends. Granted, the BOP were rather minor in the DCU but they did sell, not because they were just gorgeous but because the comics had a solid plotline going and the characters were real.

Is Hollywood guilty of reducing their female heroines? Hell, yes, and that's why BW did so well in this pic not because they reduced her in any way but enhanced her character through a very clever script. But society being what it is, people still prefer a sexy chick in this kind of role and only after they finish watching the flick will they stop to think about why her character wasn't more fleshed out. More's the pity....

nighttimer
05-19-2012, 06:32 AM

You can credit/blame Grant Morrison for that. During his run on the X-Men he and artist Frank Quitley put Emma Frost in her present outfit, which looks better suited for stripping than super-heroing.

Maybe if there were a few more women writing comics (or any at Marvel) we would be spared such "oh come on" nonsense.

Yeah, but despite DC's "New 52" revamp, while Superman got out of his "undies on the outside" look, they put Wonder Woman back in her one-piece bathing suit. The more things change....

As for Emma Frost, that's another one Joss got right, in his Astonishing X-Men comic. When Emma calls Kitty out for being late, and Kitty replies "I'm sorry. I was busy remembering to put on all my clothes." That and a remark by Emma herself about "the best body money could buy" is about it, as the eye candy references go. The rest is all mental powers. And they totally manage to sell the character as a character.

Yeah, but as much as I love Whedon and John Cassady's Astonishing X-Men, they passed up on a chance to put Emma in a more practical costume.

Don't forget Whedon also had Kitty get buck-nekkid and do the horizontal bop with Colossus. Even he isn't above throwing in some totally gratuitous nudity and sex to please the fanboys.

So have I. But thanks for the completely unnecessary history lesson.

You're welcome, but it was necessary. After all, you told me to read the comics. I thought I should make it clear you aren't the only one up on the Black Widow's backstory.

Where did I say it wasn't? I didn't. What I said was that it's not all she is; her only skill is not "big tits," which was the comment you said was accurate.

I said the Black Widow served among other things, the purpose of being "eye candy" in The Avengers. I never said her only skill was "big tits." That was the other fellow who is no longer a participant in this thread.

And as I correctly pointed out first: superheroes tend to be drawn as pretty people. So what? How does that change the fact that pretty male superheroes are still superheroes, but it's okay to say that pretty female superheroes are just "big tits" and nothing more?

It's not okay and I never said that it was. I said that the aforementioned banned poster was crude in his description, but not totally incorrect.

I neither defend nor agree with reducing the Black Widow down to nothing more but mammary glands in leather. I like to believe my own observations were a bit more nuanced than "big tits."

So it's okay to join in, because it's "reality." So how about if I say African-American people just aren't as smart as whites? Because, y'know, some people do feel that way, so it's "reality" and something we should all just accept and not try to change.

Now you're really reaching. You're really going to try and draw an equivalence between questioning the intelligence of 36 million African-Americans with the breast size of a comic book character?

I can't even begin to take that seriously, so I won't even try. :rolleyes:

No one is saying the Black Widow isn't be sexy or shouldn't be seen as sexy. No one is saying it's wrong or offensive to say she is sexy. What is wrong, and is offensive, is to say that "sexy" is all she is.

It's nice that you have such privilege that you can just shrug off the sexism and act like it's no big deal, and like the fact that you shrug it off doesn't make you part of the problem. But you know what? It IS. And it DOES. And you should frankly be ashamed of yourself for telling people affected by it that we should just shut up and get used to it, because that's the way it is.

The only privilege I have is a familiarity with the character of the Black Widow and how she has been portrayed in comic books and now the movies.

I am not "ashamed" of anything I've posted in this thread and I have never said nor implied anyone should "shut up and get used to it."

It's unfortunate if a debate/discussion on the depictions of the sexual persona of an imaginary character puts you in such a state that you resort to making claims and charges instead of seriously examining the pros and cons of the argument and replying or rebutting them.

But I don't have to resort to unfairly accusing you, Miss Kane of things you haven't said. I can critique your positions based upon the merits and not by lashing out with allegations and accusations.

I'm taking my nephew to see the movie next week. I seriously doubt he will give a crap one way of the other if the Black Widow is objectified or not. All he'll care about is how cool she is and how much butt she kicks.

BTW, Scarlett Johansson has won a couple of BAFTAs and Golden Globes, been nominated for more Golden Globes, and has won a Tony. I think it's fair to say she's not a terrible actress overall.

I think it's fair to say it doesn't take much to win or be nominated for a Golden Globe. Having a pulse is often all it takes.

Stiger05
05-19-2012, 06:45 AM
I miss the good old days when this thread was about how much we liked the movie.

Ditto.

I saw it for the first time last Monday with my brother. I went back to see it tonight with my husband. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie twice in theaters. Hell, I rarely go to anything but the dollar theater to begin with and usually wait for the DVD.

I freaking loved this movie. RDJ was, by far, my favorite. Mark Ruffalo made the best Hulk, period. The characters were dynamic and well acted. Tom Hiddleston was a perfect Loki. I can't think of a single thing about this movie I didn't enjoy.

jjdebenedictis
05-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Ditto.

I saw it for the first time last Monday with my brother. I went back to see it tonight with my husband. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie twice in theaters. Same! I never see movies twice in theatres. The only time I ever have before was when I got into see the IMAX version of one of the Star Wars prequels for free.

Avengers was just a fun, fun movie. I'm probably going to get it on DVD, and that's another thing I never do.

Cyia
05-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Same! I never see movies twice in theatres. The only time I ever have before was when I got into see the IMAX version of one of the Star Wars prequels for free.

Avengers was just a fun, fun movie. I'm probably going to get it on DVD, and that's another thing I never do.

Me, three. I'm going back for another show tomorrow.

MttStrn
05-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Just back from a second go-round. Even better on a second viewing. Movie kicks ass!

AW Admin
05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm locking this for now.

ETA:

I'm unlocking this. Please for the love of all that's holy in geekdom:

Please please please think before linking to images. Especially from comics.

Also: Be Courteous. I'm seeing some fairly cheap rhetorical tricks, and I'd rather see people actually talk about the film.

Note please that "it's everywhere" and "everyone else" is doing it is not an excuse for sexist language and attitudes here.

Talk about the film in specifics, please, rather than unsupported assertions.

It is striking to me that very clearly women, and not just on AW, women have been seeing a different film than the one the men are seeing. This strikes me as curious, and telling.

I'm more interested in the film the women are talking about . . . .Will the film make sense to someone who doesn't know the comics, and, quite frankly, can't really see? How's the dialog?

J.S.F.
05-20-2012, 03:34 AM
I found the dialogue quite amusing, almost poking fun at the genre itself. Robert Downey in particular when describing the Hulk got some of the best lines but never in my opinion did it veer into parody.

As for someone who has never read the comics, well, while it helps to have background knowledge of the characters, their origins and so on, it's not essential. To me, it was a rousing, kick-ass (by all participants) movie, not to be taken seriously but to be enjoyed.

Parametric
05-20-2012, 03:38 AM
Never read any comics, but I loved the film. It's good fun.

Cyia
05-20-2012, 04:42 AM
The first DVD / Blu-ray details are coming out, according to blu-ray.com

The Avengers–which today became the highest-grossing film in the history of Walt Disney Studios–will be released in September in several different DVD and Blu-Ray editions, including a ten-disc set that will collect all of the Marvel movies to date. That set will include The Incredible Hulk but exclude The Hulk.http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/JosinLMcQuein/theavengersdvd-212x300.jpg

The blu-ray is a 4-disk set, at present, including a 3-D version.

The Avengers itself will have just a commentary track (by Whedon) and a featurette on assembling the team on the DVD, while the Blu-Ray will include far more in the way of features. According to the poster who provided the information, the rundown is as follows:
4-Disc BD Combo Pack, 2-Disc BD Combo Pack and 2-Disc DVD Combo Pack
1. AUDIO COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR JOSS WHEDON
2. MARVEL ONE-SHOT: ITEM 47
3. SECOND SCREEN
4. GAG REEL
4. DELETED SCENES
- Alternate Opening – Maria Hill Interrogation
- Extended Scene – Loki & Barton Strategize
- Steve Rogers – Man Out of Time
- Nick Fury & World Security Council
- Extended Viaduct Fight – Raw Footage
- Fury & Hill Discuss the World Security Council
- Extended Scene – Banner and Security Guard
- Alternate Ending – Maria Hill Interrogation
5. FEATURETTES
- A Visual Journey
- Assembling the Ultimate Team
6. SOUNDGARDEN MUSIC VIDEO – “Live to Rise”
DVD
1. AUDIO COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR JOSS WHEDON
2. FEATURETTES
- Assembling the Ultimate Team

I'm hoping they add more cut footage, or at least make an extras disk for the box set.

I'm also liking one of the potential "Agent Coulson" storylines: (potential spoiler below)

Coulson isn't dead, but is going to end up being The Vision, with his "cellist" girlfriend being Wanda, the Scarlet Witch, who was a cellist in the comic books. Whether it's simply speculation or not, I like the idea, and it fits in with Fury's line about losing his "one good eye." Adding Wanda to the mix gives the team another woman, and am angry Scarlet Witch would be a force to be reckoned with.

J.S.F.
05-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Cyia, you just made my day!:):):)

Zoombie
05-20-2012, 04:49 AM
It is striking to me that very clearly women, and not just on AW, women have been seeing a different film than the one the men are seeing. This strikes me as curious, and telling.

Hey, I saw the same movie Toothpaste saw.

Of course, I'm not actually a man, I just play one on TV...

BeatrixKiddo
05-20-2012, 07:31 AM
I thought it was great. Saw it twice.

The only thing that bothered me was The Hulk at the end. I couldn't figure out how David Banner suddenly had control of his "change" when he almost killed Black Widow the first time he changed in over a year...what, a couple days before on the ship? (Or maybe all that happened the same day...can't remember)

They didn't really explain that part. But it was still awesome to see The Hulk smash stuff.

J.S.F.
05-20-2012, 07:38 AM

The only thing that bothered me was The Hulk at the end. I couldn't figure out how David Banner suddenly had control of his "change" when he almost killed Black Widow the first time he changed in over a year...what, a couple days before on the ship? (Or maybe all that happened the same day...can't remember)

They didn't really explain that part. But it was still awesome to see The Hulk smash stuff.

---

Yeah, it sort of made me wonder, but then again, Mark Ruffalo (as Bruce Banner) does say: "You want to know my secret?" (Then turns and begins transforming) "I'm always angry."

To me, it meant at that particular time with BW, he decided to not control his anger and let it loose at her and Thor (who comes to her aid). Now, against Loki's forces, he had a different path. Also, I believe it's implied that the first time they met (in India) he didn't really know or trust her, while during the climactic battle scene he did. Somewhere in his sub-conscious, Banner can control the beast and channel its energies in a positive direction.

That's my take on it, anyway....:)

jjdebenedictis
05-20-2012, 09:10 AM
I've never read the comics and it made perfect sense to me. The script was well-written; it wasn't high art by any stretch, but it was believable, comprehensible, and entertaining.

nighttimer
05-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I hope Battleship dies at the box office. I hope it dies so bad the execs who greenlit it lose their jobs. Now that would be entertaining.

Well, you're halfway there... (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/19/box-office-battleship-dictator/)

Three new movies confronted The Avengers (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20587608,00.html) this weekend, and the Hulk smashed them around as if they all starred Loki.

The Marvel superhero phenomenon dropped a mild 48 percent for $15.3 million on Friday. That means it’ll easily win its third weekend in a row with around $55 million, bringing its domestic tally to $457 million or thereabouts. It should pass $450 million on Sunday, becoming the fastest movie to do so in only 17 days. (The Dark Knight pulled off the same feat in 27 days.) Also, The Avengers will pass Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest today to become Disney’s highest-grossing film ever.

The Avengers‘ good news spelled bad news for Battleship (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20587674,00.html), which debuted to a dismal $9 million on Friday. That puts the board game-inspired action film on pace for a $26 million weekend — a result that Universal clearly didn’t have in mind when it green-lighted the $209 million picture. By comparison, the year’s other big expensive flop, Disney’s John Carter, mustered a slightly better $30.2 million its first weekend. Both movies starred Taylor Kitsch, whose young career is getting off to an incredibly unfortunate start.

J.S.F.
05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I didn't know Taylor Kitsch had a career....

Mr Flibble
05-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by AW Admin http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7287471#post7287471)
It is curious, but not quite as cut and dried as that - I've seen female reviewers that seem to have seen a totally different film to me, and male reviewers who saw teh one I did (My Old Man deffo saw the one I did, but then he knows what's good for him lol)

It all depends on your own personal take I suppose. Doesn't everything? One male reviewer made a comment which struck me, about Hawkeye taking on the traditionally feminine role (being captured/rescued/support role) which hadn't occurred to me but is kinda true.

I think maybe that's the strength of the film - everyone sees something a little different. (And possibly why I'm having almost as much fun reading all the reviews as I did watching the film :D)

J.S.F.
05-20-2012, 03:17 PM
It is curious, but not quite as cut and dried as that - I've seen female reviewers that seem to have seen a totally different film to me, and male reviewers who saw teh one I did (My Old Man deffo saw the one I did, but then he knows what's good for him lol)

It all depends on your own personal take I suppose. Doesn't everything? One male reviewer made a comment which struck me, about Hawkeye taking on the traditionally feminine role (being captured/rescued/support role) which hadn't occurred to me but is kinda true.

I think maybe that's the strength of the film - everyone sees something a little different. (And possibly why I'm having almost as much fun reading all the reviews as I did watching the film :D)

-----

What sealed it for me was how balanced it was. Granted, Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans had the showiest parts in a way, as Ironman is so iconic as is Cap, but everyone had a chance to shine. Everyone had their moment center stage and it wasn't as if anyone really upstaged anyone else. The screenplay was very sharp and when one thinks about the technical aspects--fitting in the action with multiple characters flying and running and shooting arrows and so forth--I don't know if another director could have put the pieces together so well. Maybe Jon Favreau or J.J Abrams but that's speculation. Whedon has a tremendous respect for the source material and even though the 'vision' was his I could tell he'd delved into the comics and used them as inspiration.

Wow, wall of text!

Stacia Kane
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm locking this for now.

ETA:

I'm more interested in the film the women are talking about . . . .Will the film make sense to someone who doesn't know the comics, and, quite frankly, can't really see? How's the dialog?

I think it'll absolutely make sense, yes. The characters' backstories are referenced/explained, and really for the most part aren't entirely necessary beyond that, in order to enjoy the film (it helps, but you can still "get" everything without it, I think. It's a fun movie. Great dialogue. :)

I wondered that myself for a second, and then realized it was because of Loki's staff. :)

Medievalist
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
On a lighter note:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=60015#krwYV00Jdy5siwyB.30

robeiae
05-20-2012, 09:23 PM
On a lighter note:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=60015#krwYV00Jdy5siwyB.30

AHEM.

I repeat (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7252932&postcount=60):

To quote the guy in the purple skirt, from Avengers #174:

"That depends on whether you're judging by raw power or skill, Collector! I may not be much in the first category! On the other hand...in the second...Hawkeye is the best there is!"That was in response to the Collector, a bad guy with the Power Cosmic (making him a god, actually), who opined that--after wiping the floor with the rest of the Avengers--all he had left was the least. Yet, Hawkeye wins. again.

But you know, Hawkeye is actually a Batman type of character, 'cept with a bow instead of batterangs. He's actually a top-o-the-line hand to hand guy, as well as the greatest marksman in the world. He is literally the best we have that's not a product of genetic engineering, lab accidents, cosmic radiation, or the like (much less someone from the future, another galaxy, or another dimension). I don't think this point gets played up enough (though frankly, the purple skirt and silly mask never helped).

Stiger05
05-21-2012, 02:08 AM

I'm a woman and absolutely loved it. My husband and brother and I all had the same views on it.

The only tie in film I'd seen were the Iron Man movies and I don't read comics and don't really know the mythos behind the characters, but I could follow along perfectly. They gave just enough background to keep you in the loop.

The dialogue was witty and realistic and not cheesy. My biggest complaint with superhero movies (Spiderman, older Batman, Superman) is how cheesy they are. I didn't get the cheese here. Nor did I sense any sexism in the movie. Every character was well thought out and multi-dimenisonal. Sure the outfits were tight, but they were true to every comic drawing I've seen (I may not read them, but I have seen them), and were not distasteful. With the exception of Iron Man, the male costumes were just as tight and revealing as Black Widow's.

As a woman, I found no issue with this. If someone else, like Michael Bay, had directed, it might have been a different story, but Joss Whedon as a history of tastefully portraying strong women.

Calla Lily
05-21-2012, 03:10 AM
I've never read an Avengers comic book. Didn't know anything about Hawkeye, Black Widow or Samuel L Jackon's character (name's already slipped my mind). Only knew Iron Man and the comic-book Thor and Loki from the movies. I do know some Hulk canon.

The movie made perfect sense to me. Just enough backstory to ground the characters and away we go! Whedon is excellent.