Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Anyone have any experiences with autism? I'm gonna ask a few questions:

Is anyone in your family autistic?

How autistic?

If so, do you have more than one relative with a certain degree of autism?

How did you realize s/he was autistic?

How has s/he adapted?

Do you know anyone (outside family) that is autistic?

How autistic?

How did you realize s/he was autistic?

Thank :) All info appreciated. I may write a book about autism some day. I have an autistic first cousin, my only brother has Aspherger's syndrome (a mild form of autism) and I have recognized autistic traits in myself and 3 other cousins in the same family. We are 10 grankids, 6 of us presenting some degree of autism. Of the others, they are too young for us to know.

Last edited:

Rose Red

Registered
Reaction score
Website
themegaphone.net
Hi DamaNegra

I'm assuming that you meant Asperger's Syndrome. My son has this. Can I offer you a little friendly advice here? PLEASE do not call AS ' a mild form of autism'. It's anything but mild. AS is at the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum, but that's not the same thing as 'mild', though many people that are not familiar with AS will bandy that phrase around.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I have lived with trying to cope as best I can for many years (my son is 16, same age as you if your profile age is correct) and nothing rattles my cage more -and I know I'm not the only parent of a child with AS that feels this way- than hearing it described as such. You might get a more helpful response from people if you rephrase that. No hard feelings. :)

Perhaps you'd be interested in reading about Temple Grandin, PhD. She's a university professor who also happens to be on the autistic spectrum.

http://www.autism.org/temple/inside.html

Good luck with your research.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.