PDA

View Full Version : Murder in what form?

SRHowen
04-29-2012, 07:33 AM
I have a question I am hoping someone can answer.

I have a character who was first charged with assault with intent to do bodily harm.

He attacked a guy who was attacking another guy and kept kicking him when he was down.

Beat guy dies later.

What would the new upgraded charges be?

Murder 2

Involuntary manslaughter?

Voluntary manslaughter?

He was defending someone else the guy tried to kill.

Thanks!

Nymtoc
04-29-2012, 09:20 AM
These things vary from one jurisdiction to another. The charges would depend entirely on what the D.A.--and grand jury, if there is one--thinks can be proved. The specifics of the incident are important. How hard did the now-dead guy fight back? How much danger was the rescued guy in to begin with? Was your guy's own life in danger during the fight? Had your guy met either of the other ones before? What do witnesses (if any) say? Taking such things into consideration, upgraded charges might range all the way from aggravated assault to second-degree murder. Even if murder is charged, your guy might cop to a lower plea to avoid a trial and possible lengthy imprisonment. For fictional purposes, you can pretty much choose whatever works best for your story.

heyjude
04-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm going to port you to Story Research and Experts. Hang on to your hats! (Er, or hat, singular.) :)